Menu

Ignore this thread!

Is this a medication or a lifestyle? Is there anything I can do?

It's a medication. 

But I already had a lifestyle that tried to support my immune system. 

1.  take probiotics.  Your immune system actually starts in the gut.

2.  wash hands (as previously mentioned)

3. wipe down shopping carts with the disinfectant wipes that are usually provided at the door of the store.

4. eat your fruits and veggies

5.  make sure your vitamin D level is good.  A lot of doctors accept a much lower vitamin D level than is optimal.  The "good" range is from 30 to 100 but over 50 is best in my experience.  (My ND agrees.  My primary doesn't.  I ignore the primary on this as it is not his specialty.)

6.  some people swear by zinc.  It makes everything I taste metallic so I don't take it.  YMMV.

7.  if you have blood sugar problems (like I do) then maintain your bloodsugars as much as possible.  Diabetics (and pre-diabetics) have a harder time with illness.  Right now this is my number 1 focus.  I have got to get this under control and I can't lose weight unless it is under control.)

8.  get enough sleep. 

I'm sure there are other things.  I use the NeilMed sinus rinses when I start to get a cold.  It has stopped me from getting infections.  I disinfect my CPap (which doesn't apply to everyone but if you have one, they can be a source of some pretty nasty germs).  I am taking vitamin C during the cold and flu season. 

Edited to add that I also take elderberry syrup when I can when I'm sick but it is super expensive and so I don't take it as much as maybe I should for it to be effective. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 3

1) I think Hostess products are marketed toward children with undiscerning palates. They actually have always tasted like carp, as children, we just didn’t realize it.

2) some of the books on the reading lists i’ve Been perusing I would not have a teen read. And not that I believe in censorship, but some.... I just don’t think kids have the education or experience to put some of these books in context. I saw “All Quiet on the Western Front†in several book lists for as young as 8th grade. I recently read that book. It was one of the most profound and moving books I have ever read, but i’m Not sure my boys would have any idea how to process or understand it.

Don't get me started on "advanced" reading lists. They move up social science and literature curricula like they move up math. Doesn't work that way.

I read All Quiet on the Western Front after my freshman year of high school. I was just old enough.

I agree that it's not at all a question of censorship, but a question of whether you want to drag a child through something they will hate, when you know that just waiting a few years will allow them to enjoy or at least tolerate the work. Why ruin it for them???

But one thing that is causing this is that people push their smaller children to read more "advanced" YA books, with complex language structure and complex plots and themes (though, not requiring mature life experience). So Harry Potter, the Hobbit, etc. which could easily be considered great high school reading and discussion, are considered "kids" books.

When I was that age, I just read a lot of children's books and nonfiction and science fiction.

Animal Farm is so not my favorite Orwell either. I'd have a kid read his short stories and Down and Out in Paris and London. Exciting! Versus, "...and who do the pigs represent?" Urrrrgh. 

• Like 3

It's a medication. 

3. wipe down shopping carts with the disinfectant wipes that are usually provided at the door of the store.

5.  make sure your vitamin D level is good.  A lot of doctors accept a much lower vitamin D level than is optimal.  The "good" range is from 30 to 100 but over 50 is best in my experience.  (My ND agrees.  My primary doesn't.  I ignore the primary on this as it is not his specialty.)

6.  some people swear by zinc.  It makes everything I taste metallic so I don't take it.  YMMV.

7.  if you have blood sugar problems (like I do) then maintain your bloodsugars as much as possible.  Diabetics (and pre-diabetics) have a harder time with illness.  Right now this is my number 1 focus.  I have got to get this under control and I can't lose weight unless it is under control.)

8.  get enough sleep. 

I'm sure there are other things.  I use the NeilMed sinus rinses when I start to get a cold.  It has stopped me from getting infections.  I disinfect my CPap (which doesn't apply to everyone but if you have one, they can be a source of some pretty nasty germs).  I am taking vitamin C during the cold and flu season. 

Edited to add that I also take elderberry syrup when I can when I'm sick but it is super expensive and so I don't take it as much as maybe I should for it to be effective. 

PSA: Zinc is not water soluble and you can overdose on it! So if it tastes bad, don't take it!

• Like 4

To help boost our immune system, I'm making everyone eat 1/4C homemade sauerkraut every day (digestive system), drink an EmergenC or similar thing, drink lots of water, wash hands!, and go outside in the sun (or clouds) for at least a little every day. And hydrogen peroxiding ears at the first sign of feeling sick.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

So, today was the first day of a little bit different routine on Thursdays.  

Older two are going to an electives "co-op" and dh is taking them (plus a friend) because he's helping in a couple classes.  They left at 11:45.  I did math with older dd in the morning so she could get it done before time to leave.  I puttered around doing other things - unloading d/w, cleaning sink, counters, folding a load of clothes, helping youngest with a couple scales on her violin, etc.  Then I felt like I was waiting for dh and older kids to leave so I could finish school with youngest.  Then, when they finally left, I felt like doing nothing.  Of course, we finished what we had to do, but why does a change feel so draining?  Is it because 1) I'm lazy?  b) I'm a slave to routine?  c)  I'm depressed?  d)  Some other unnamed dysfunction?

• Like 2

Why wouldn't a change require rest? Your brain is processing all of that. It's like an update. Do not shut down your computer during an update. DO NOT RESTART. Just complete the update, turn it off for a period of time, maybe unplug it (take a nap) and then re-start.

You might need to reload some programs as well.

• Like 4

We lost a chicken. The boys and I have been fighting the game hens over staying in the pen (where there is cover) and they keep flying out. We had to chase them down three times yesterday morning. Well, a hawk beat us to it today. Stupid birds. There were three hens, and two made it to cover, but the third ran the wrong way.

So far 2018 has been a year of animal tragedy around here.  :sad:

• Like 1

We lost a chicken. The boys and I have been fighting the game hens over staying in the pen (where there is cover) and they keep flying out. We had to chase them down three times yesterday morning. Well, a hawk beat us to it today. Stupid birds. There were three hens, and two made it to cover, but the third ran the wrong way.

So far 2018 has been a year of animal tragedy around here.  :sad:

It wasn't a tragedy for the hawk. 

• Like 2

Except she didn't get to take but a bite or two of her meal before we ran her off of it. So now she'll have to go get a mouse or something to keep beak and feathers together.

:crying:  I think I liked it better when I thought at least the hawk got a nice meal. 

:grouphug: to all.

• Like 2

And of course the hawk came back. I ran it off again, and the boy is out on patrol. The escape artists are staying deep in the jungle or in the chicken house. I may have to keep everyone up for the next few days unless one or other of the boys is out keeping watch.

Random blood sugar musings.

I might be fighting something in my gut.  I've been taking extra probiotics but my tummy has been doing the cha-cha for the last couple of days. 

My sugars are high.  They can get high if you are sick. 

I just took my two hours post breakfast blood sugar reading.  It is too high.  It is supposed to be under 120.  Mine is 146.  So I'm going to test again in 45 minutes.  Then I guess that I'm going to try to really low carb lunch. 

Bah. 

• Like 1

And of course the hawk came back. I ran it off again, and the boy is out on patrol. The escape artists are staying deep in the jungle or in the chicken house. I may have to keep everyone up for the next few days unless one or other of the boys is out keeping watch.

Stupid raptors. I had to use a lead rope to chase off a bald eagle one time after it locked in on one of my cats. Here we have bald and golden eagles, various and sundry types of hawks, falcons, osprey, and Great Northern owls. And those are just the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. They're beautiful, but deadly. I'm pretty sure that the owl got my barn cats. :(

I had a bad reaction to the flu vaccine last time, so I’m counting on ITT to keep me from dying.

We don't do the flu vaccine around here.  All the females in my family react badly. We no longer try.

• Like 4

Random blood sugar musings.

I might be fighting something in my gut.  I've been taking extra probiotics but my tummy has been doing the cha-cha for the last couple of days. 

My sugars are high.  They can get high if you are sick. 

I just took my two hours post breakfast blood sugar reading.  It is too high.  It is supposed to be under 120.  Mine is 146.  So I'm going to test again in 45 minutes.  Then I guess that I'm going to try to really low carb lunch. 

Bah. 

Bummer, Jean.  My stomach hasn't been quite normal since I got sick.  Don't have what I had. I forbid it.

• Like 2

It wasn't a tragedy for the hawk.

That reminds me of an excellent book “One Day at Beetle Rock†by Sally Carragher. It’s non-fictiOn. It’s a book where each chapter is about the same day at Beetle Rock in Sequoia National Park, and is told from the perspective from a different animal that is there. There’s the weasel, the mouse, coyote, deer.... I can’t remember what else. But it’s like you’re reading the story from the mouse’s perspective and the weasel eats her family and you’re all sad, until you read the same story from the weasel’s perspective and realize she’s starving and needs to feed her babies... I’m not sure it’s in print anymore, but if you can find it, it’s well worth the read.
  • Like 9

Good morning!

🎈🎈🎈🎉 Happy birthday, dd9! 🎉🎈🎈🎈

🎈🎈🎈🎉 Happy birthday, Weapon X! 🎉🎈🎈🎈

How are you doing, Critter?

Slachey! Hey girl.

I would move to FL if I could live directly on the beach from October through April, and then move to JJM's the rest of the year. :)

We are getting birthday breakfast ready, then dd15 to tutorial, and then dd15 and ds13 to orchestra conference tonight.

Coffee!

Happy birthday!!!!

OMG, it's my nephew's birthday, too!  Must text him right now.

• Like 2

Good Thursday Morning!

COFFEE!!

Happy Birthday Susan's dd!  and Weapon X!  :party:  :party:  :party:

Slache - about D'aulaire's Greek Myths....  it's been awhile since I've read it, but I think it would probably be okay for any age.  The pictures would probably help engage younger ones.  I think it can be a nice book for older kids too.  Felpful, I know.    

Yes, Happy Birthday to both of them!!!!

• Like 3

That reminds me of an excellent book “One Day at Beetle Rock†by Sally Carragher. It’s non-fictiOn. It’s a book where each chapter is about the same day at Beetle Rock in Sequoia National Park, and is told from the perspective from a different animal that is there. There’s the weasel, the mouse, coyote, deer.... I can’t remember what else. But it’s like you’re reading the story from the mouse’s perspective and the weasel eats her family and you’re all sad, until you read the same story from the weasel’s perspective and realize she’s starving and needs to feed her babies... I’m not sure it’s in print anymore, but if you can find it, it’s well worth the read.

This?  https://www.amazon.com/Beetle-Rock-California-Legacy-Book/dp/1890771538/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1515707678&sr=1-2&keywords=one+day+on+beetle+rock

• Like 1

DH will take me to art and drop me off for an hour or two. I've got an ice-pack in place and will take it along in case I need it. My art friends are all older women, and several of them have experience with breast surgery. I'm the youngest. It's like having a room full of moms to take care of me. :001_wub:

This will be good, and therapeutic.  Art is an approved recovery activity, especially with this bunch.

• Like 3

happy-birthday-banner.gif

Happy Birthday to Weapon X and Susan's DD!!!

congrats-smiley-emoticon.gif

Congrats to Tech Support!  (but, but, but...who's gonna fix Jean's computer now???) (Also, BTW, may we ask which school, for those of us with students looking at schools in that area?)

good-luck-emoticon.gif

At the new job, Angi! I am hoping that this one is replacing the others. I know someone asked, but I missed the answer.

In other news:  I'm. Still. Coughing. frown-smiley-emoticon.png

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  for the persistent cough.  It must really like you.

We're out of all the things!

We don't fluvax. Because anti-science.  :coolgleamA:

It's a medication. 

8.  get enough sleep. 

1. Still haven't purchased them. I intend to, but can't afford it.

3. I didn't know that! Thanks.

8. Shush.

Don't get me started on "advanced" reading lists. They move up social science and literature curricula like they move up math. Doesn't work that way.

I read All Quiet on the Western Front after my freshman year of high school. I was just old enough.

I agree that it's not at all a question of censorship, but a question of whether you want to drag a child through something they will hate, when you know that just waiting a few years will allow them to enjoy or at least tolerate the work. Why ruin it for them???

But one thing that is causing this is that people push their smaller children to read more "advanced" YA books, with complex language structure and complex plots and themes (though, not requiring mature life experience). So Harry Potter, the Hobbit, etc. which could easily be considered great high school reading and discussion, are considered "kids" books.

When I was that age, I just read a lot of children's books and nonfiction and science fiction.

Animal Farm is so not my favorite Orwell either. I'd have a kid read his short stories and Down and Out in Paris and London. Exciting! Versus, "...and who do the pigs represent?" Urrrrgh. 

I totally agree. I read a ton of "great works" in middle school that of course did nothing for me.

And hydrogen peroxiding ears at the first sign of feeling sick.

This is Alex's favorite thing.

(It's really not that bad.  Just children.  Behaving like children.)

(I am going to go to Container Store to recover, though.  Ds10 can babysit the rest of the crazy people in the car while I spend five minutes of organized peace buying a tray for the pantry.)

Konmarie!

I want to eat junk food.

I just want to eat food.

• Like 5

It's a medication. 

8.  get enough sleep. 

I just wrote myself a reminder sticky to ask Dad if he has a CPAP.  I think he does, but I'm not sure.  If he does I'm sure it needs cleaning, and I'll clean it even if he swears it's already clean.

• Like 1

I just wrote myself a reminder sticky to ask Dad if he has a CPAP.  I think he does, but I'm not sure.  If he does I'm sure it needs cleaning, and I'll clean it even if he swears it's already clean.

I soak my hose, mask (minus the part that goes behind my head because that is a pain to dry) and the water reservoir  in a solution of very warm water with a splash of white vinegar and a few drops of Johnson's baby shampoo per instructions.  If things haven't been cleaned in awhile I might use a bottle brush to get into nooks and crannies.  Rinse well.  Let dry.  Put back together. 

• Like 1

Baby had his tongue untied today. He was such a big brave Baby. They told me he’d be fine and have no discomfort when the numbness wore off but they must have never seen their patients after the numbness wears off :(

Poor baby...he latched really well after the procedure and before he started feeling sore. It’s a good sign; hoping he feels well enough to eat soon. He’s too mad now.

• Like 7

My word of the year is Accomplishment (or Accomplish, whatever). Finishing anything would be good. 

I just figured out that I need to figure out what I want to accomplish this year, besides putting a bonfire to everything in this small apartment and starting over... I came to the realization when I was counting the classes I have listed to teach, and wondered to myself, "Where am I going with this? How many do I want to have listed before the end of the year?" I'm already very close to a goal I set back in November, and think I need readjust.

• Like 5

After Russian, DD went to lie down on the couch for a few minutes. That was over an hour ago.  I'm thinking she was tired. :mellow:

I've done that. Many many times lately.

I had to decide to stop teaching 4am classes. And 4:30am classes. And finally, 5:00am classes. Next week is my last week of 5am classes, then Dancer flies out, and I'm not accepting any more. I can't be falling asleep, leaving Gymnast to fend for herself.

• Like 5