Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good morning! I survived the nastiness that is May weather in Missouri. I did not blow away, so that's good...or bad, depending on who's reading. 

Going down to my mom's to get the rugrat today. Yesterday, I sent a pic of me and John to my mom to show Riv and told her "I love you."

Mom sent this reply back: 
Rivy says "I love you too! Tell them we are having sleep parties and I am having fun. They don't need to come yet."

• Like 9

Since I have nothing better to do, I'll just mention that Dancer technically only needs two more credits to graduate. But, also, technically she doesn't have all the right credits to graduate (a couple of things the state requires of ps students and mom agrees, like American history). So, next year will include two dual enrollment classes needed for her Patissiere certificate taken in the fall, personal finance for math (Dave Ramsey through VHG), American history a la Texasmama's schedule (revised according to what is available at our library), and English IV using IEW and American literature. I think this sounds reasonable. 

She should be wrapping up her other classes by the end of June: mythology study (English credit), culinary chemistry (by end of this month), ancient history cultural studies. We won't talk about math...

Renai, have you looked at Lial, Basic College Math?  It's very straightforward, with clear and realistic examples.  It covers all of the basics, so it could shore up any weaknesses.

• Like 2

Renai, have you looked at Lial, Basic College Math? It's very straightforward, with clear and realistic examples. It covers all of the basics, so it could shore up any weaknesses.

She seems fine with the basics, and can now figure out how to solve most problems. She was talking through problems with me when taking the prealgebra class. She didn't do well on the tests though. I don't know where the breakdown is. She missed some homework assignments, but even that wouldn't have been enough (she made up a majority of those).

I'm thinking of going back to the Lials you shared and getting a tutor to help her pass the placement test. She needs business math for an associates degree, but has to get past prealgebra.

• Like 5

She seems fine with the basics, and can now figure out how to solve most problems. She was talking through problems with me when taking the prealgebra class. She didn't do well on the tests though. I don't know where the breakdown is. She missed some homework assignments, but even that wouldn't have been enough (she made up a majority of those).

I'm thinking of going back to the Lials you shared and getting a tutor to help her pass the placement test. She needs business math for an associates degree, but has to get past prealgebra.

Poor Dancer!  She must be so frustrated.  :sad:  Does the college have a learning center to help try to figure that out?  I'm wondering if there is some sort of accommodation that could help, like taking the tests orally?

• Like 1

Speaking of communing with gardens, my son planted four hills of pumpkins. They are beginning to germinate, and he is beside himself with pride, and worry that they won't make it through the pumpkin predators we have around here. I told him that this was an experimental project and he shouldn't take it too seriously, but I think he still sees himself proudly harvesting Jacks this fall. 

• Like 6

Since I've shared Dancer's summer academics (finishing stuff), I should share Gymnast's. We'll be doing The Reading Lesson every other week, with review weeks in between (it takes a week for each lesson), MFWK worksheets for handwriting and reading practice, continue MLFLE 1 for math (a lesson in 3 days) and set up a math lab somehow for the other day. That should take up about 30 minutes. :/ We'll do astronomy readings. I want to make up a space passport and have us travel around space. I'd like to experiment with a lapbook type activity for this space study, but not sure how.

We'll be out of the house from 1-3 days a week for short periods: a movie every Tuesday, and the library has the reading program events. First week in June she has soccer camp.

We're going to be busy!

• Like 7

Poor Dancer! She must be so frustrated. :sad: Does the college have a learning center to help try to figure that out? I'm wondering if there is some sort of accommodation that could help, like taking the tests orally?

She has accommodations such as extra time; we haven't asked about oral tests. I'll add that to my list of things.

• Like 1

:grouphug: JoJos Mom. As much as sometimes I would just like my children and other dependents to leave me alone from time to time, I think I'd be pretty sad if they weren't around for six weeks. No doubt I'd get a lot of things done that need doing, but I'd probably have to mope around for a week or more first.

• Like 6

Since I've shared Dancer's summer academics (finishing stuff), I should share Gymnast's. We'll be doing The Reading Lesson every other week, with review weeks in between (it takes a week for each lesson), MFWK worksheets for handwriting and reading practice, continue MLFLE 1 for math (a lesson in 3 days) and set up a math lab somehow for the other day. That should take up about 30 minutes. :/ We'll do astronomy readings. I want to make up a space passport and have us travel around space. I'd like to experiment with a lapbook type activity for this space study, but not sure how.

We'll be out of the house from 1-3 days a week for short periods: a movie every Tuesday, and the library has the reading program events. First week in June she has soccer camp.

We're going to be busy!

We're doing Reading Lessons Through Literature, Miquon, Ray's, Hey Andrew, Beginning Geography and everything else is books. We love Explorer's Bible Study so much. Thank you again for recommending it. We're adding BSGFAA cards as applicable and will begin BSGFAA after we finish the first 2 levels of Explorer's.

Eta: Tons of art, music, hikes and other fun stuff, but none of it's really scheduled.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 4

Oh, yeah, we're doing Explorers too. I didn't know there were cards for BSGFAA. I'm not going to look.

The plan is to work in the garden first thing, breakfast, then reading and math. We should be done by 10 every morning. Sooner on Tuesdays because the movie starts at 10. There will be daily household maintenance training as well. :D

• Like 4

Good Sunday Morning, ITT!

Yesterday was Rip-The-Carpet-Out-Of-Kids-Room day.  

I couldn't be happier to see it go, but my dust mite allergies (eyes, nose, throat) went into overload in spite of proactively taking meds.   And now I think I've started having allergy-induced asthmatic symptoms?  I've never had asthma.  Tight chest, hard to breathe, wheezing, coughing.  Since late afternoon yesterday and into today (which is why I am at home instead of church right now).  Asthma or allergy people:  is this something I should check into?  I don't carry an epipen anymore, because anaphylaxis is so rare with my type of allergies, but I'm kinda wondering now if I ought to.  

Anyhoo... dh is taking the whole week off so we are tackling major house projects as fast as possible.  I am using this time without the kids today to, ahem... reduce their carbon footprint in this house.  I am such a mean minimalist mommy.   On the plus side, dh (my hoarder-in-recovery) talked at length yesterday about how grateful he is for my minimalism.   He's never been so supportive of it; but with all the cr*p we were hauling around yesterday, he was starting to realize the benefits of lightening our load.   :coolgleamA:

• Like 6

I couldn't be happier to see it go, but my dust mite allergies (eyes, nose, throat) went into overload in spite of proactively taking meds. And now I think I've started having allergy-induced asthmatic symptoms? I've never had asthma. Tight chest, hard to breathe, wheezing, coughing. Since late afternoon yesterday and into today (which is why I am at home instead of church right now). Asthma or allergy people: is this something I should check into? I don't carry an epipen anymore, because anaphylaxis is so rare with my type of allergies, but I'm kinda wondering now if I ought to.

Anyhoo... dh is taking the whole week off so we are tackling major house projects as fast as possible. I am using this time without the kids today to, ahem... reduce their carbon footprint in this house. I am such a mean minimalist mommy. On the plus side, dh (my hoarder-in-recovery) talked at length yesterday about how grateful he is for my minimalism. He's never been so supportive of it; but with all the cr*p we were hauling around yesterday, he was starting to realize the benefits of lightening our load. :coolgleamA:

Inhaler. Not epi-pen for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Cut and pasted from my panic attack on Critter's accountability thread:

I'm overwhelmed.

Dd is still having symptoms of whatever it is. The lab results didn't come in Friday so now we have to wait until Tuesday.

Ds has an ear infection. I think that I might need to take him to urgent care today so that's we can get some actual antibiotics.

I'm still so far behind in grading and that means that I don't have a handle on where Dd is in her subjects.

Dh is underfoot because holiday weekend.

I have to really get serious about preparing for a speaking engagement that I have coming up. And I also need to get serious about preparing for teaching at summer Bible camp. (And my mom and sister are visiting the week before camp so the house will need to be clean etc. too. Camp isn't until the end of August so if I get on the ball it shouldn't be as issue but It's hard to get on the ball when you already feel like you're drowning.

It will all work out in the end. It always does. I'm just freaking out here so I can get it out of my system before trying to tackle the day.

Oh- and MIL is dying. It's not necessarily imminent but she's declining and is barely eating.

• Like 3

More painting for me this weekend! I only have 10-12 more rooms to go.  :001_unsure: My goal is to get it all done before the baby comes because I know nothing will happen after that. DH was a professional painter in college, but somehow I ended up doing all the painting in our houses. 

• Like 10

I couldn't be happier to see it go, but my dust mite allergies (eyes, nose, throat) went into overload in spite of proactively taking meds.   And now I think I've started having allergy-induced asthmatic symptoms?  I've never had asthma.  Tight chest, hard to breathe, wheezing, coughing.  Since late afternoon yesterday and into today (which is why I am at home instead of church right now).  Asthma or allergy people:  is this something I should check into?  I don't carry an epipen anymore, because anaphylaxis is so rare with my type of allergies, but I'm kinda wondering now if I ought to.  

Anyhoo... dh is taking the whole week off so we are tackling major house projects as fast as possible.  I am using this time without the kids today to, ahem... reduce their carbon footprint in this house.  I am such a mean minimalist mommy.   On the plus side, dh (my hoarder-in-recovery) talked at length yesterday about how grateful he is for my minimalism.   He's never been so supportive of it; but with all the cr*p we were hauling around yesterday, he was starting to realize the benefits of lightening our load.   :coolgleamA:

Those symptoms would need an inhaler, not an epipen, if it's asthma.

• Like 1

My asthma came on as part of my autoimmune dysfunction. I'd get an albuterol inhaler to have on hand (requires rx), to rescue you when you get to the wheezing/coughing point.

FWIW, you might also consider an over the counter fluticasone nose spray. ($10ish) It takes a couple of weeks to kick in, but you're at peak allergies for the next few weeks with grass pollens, mold pollens from rainfalls, etc.

• Like 1

More painting for me this weekend! I only have 10-12 more rooms to go.  :001_unsure: My goal is to get it all done before the baby comes because I know nothing will happen after that. DH was a professional painter in college, but somehow I ended up doing all the painting in our houses. 

:glare:  I wish we lived closer. I'd send dh over to take care of all the painting for you. Ah, and Dancer too, since dh taught her well.

• Like 5

Cut and pasted from my panic attack on Critter's accountability thread:

I'm overwhelmed.

Dd is still having symptoms of whatever it is. The lab results didn't come in Friday so now we have to wait until Tuesday.

Ds has an ear infection. I think that I might need to take him to urgent care today so that's we can get some actual antibiotics.

I'm still so far behind in grading and that means that I don't have a handle on where Dd is in her subjects.

Dh is underfoot because holiday weekend.

I have to really get serious about preparing for a speaking engagement that I have coming up. And I also need to get serious about preparing for teaching at summer Bible camp. (And my mom and sister are visiting the week before camp so the house will need to be clean etc. too. Camp isn't until the end of August so if I get on the ball it shouldn't be as issue but It's hard to get on the ball when you already feel like you're drowning.

It will all work out in the end. It always does. I'm just freaking out here so I can get it out of my system before trying to tackle the day.

Oh- and MIL is dying. It's not necessarily imminent but she's declining and is barely eating.

Many hugs to you, Jean. Perhaps dh can run ds to urgent care while you take a bit of time to take a bath and ponder your speaking engagement or sketch out your schedule for the summer?

I'm literally taking a sabbath rest today--staying home from church, soaked in a epsom salt bath, and am resting my mind and heart with writing a few letters, listening to good music, and prayerfully considering how to order my time and commitments.

• Like 6

This morning we had breakfast at the hotel and packed up and checked out. Then we walked over to the Metropolitan Museum of Modern Art and saw Picasso and Monet and Van Gogh and Mondrian and etc etc. Lucky for us there is a Xi-an Famous Foods right next door so we had a tasty lunch of their famous hand-pulled noodles - spicy & tingly beef and pork zha jiang, spicy & sour lamb dumplings, and spicy cucumber salad to share.

After lunch we walked to Times Square and looked through the m&m shop (3 stories!) and the Disney store and a souvenir shop and were accosted by the group of CD scammers who dh was not aware of and I had to tell him to give the CD back and don't engage in their conversation and keep walking. Boy were they ever aggressively friendly. :ack2:

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 7

My asthma came on as part of my autoimmune dysfunction. I'd get an albuterol inhaler to have on hand (requires rx), to rescue you when you get to the wheezing/coughing point.

FWIW, you might also consider an over the counter fluticasone nose spray. ($10ish) It takes a couple of weeks to kick in, but you're at peak allergies for the next few weeks with grass pollens, mold pollens from rainfalls, etc.

What is that and what does it do?

Mary--thinking of you and Riv.--I was reminded of my own experience with one of my dc.  Nothing was straightforward at the beginning. We saw a lot of somethings, and it took a bit to be able to start to peel back layers of issues and really see what was going on as it was so intertwined.  

For my oldest, dealing with the attention issues allowed his brain to stop and really process what we were trying to tell him.  Most of his issues were all tied to that. For my "onion" child, though, we just picked something obvious, worked on it, and then were able to find a number of things that needed to be dealt with.  It has been a multi-year process, and something we are STILL working on..... but time is on your side by starting early.  Getting her on meds will help limit some of the social impact that her behaviors would otherwise cause (what is cute and silly at 5 is obnoxious and obviously bad at 7), and it will also give her a chance to pause and hear you as you work with her.

You might look at:

Incredible 5 point scale, Incredible flexible you and other social thinking resources to help give her a vocabulary to talk about what she is feeling and what you're observing about her behaviors

The mislabeled child by the Eides

the different subtypes of auditory processing disorder

learning ally and bookstore, if you can get her to qualify, for free audio books to listen to--pump her full of vocabulary and interesting ideas!

playing games like "simon says" and "red light/green light" to see how she is processing stuff.  My "onion kid" has slow processing speed, but it speeds up under certain conditions

but mostly, just love on her and have fun together.  I spent a lot of time stressed out about all of the what ifs and what was causing what and mapping out how to move forward.....all of that will come together.  What I learned is that our kids tend to internalize bad messages about themselves and can become their own worst enemies.  Talk about how everyone has different strengths and weaknesses and how being kind is a super power. We spent a lot of time doing kind things for others--that feeds the soul and helps us be patient and loving--with others and ourselves.

• Like 7

Many hugs to you, Jean. Perhaps dh can run ds to urgent care while you take a bit of time to take a bath and ponder your speaking engagement or sketch out your schedule for the summer?

I'm literally taking a sabbath rest today--staying home from church, soaked in a epsom salt bath, and am resting my mind and heart with writing a few letters, listening to good music, and prayerfully considering how to order my time and commitments.

Dh is going to see MIL. I will reassess Ds and decide if I need to run him over to urgent care.

• Like 6