Menu

Ignore this thread!

Ivy! Did y'all take your trip to Colorado yet? Was it felpful?

Not yet. The appointment is Feb 5. 

We did have her take the CTOPP to check her phonemic awareness and she was below average on several things. Some of those things are signs of dyslexia, but they can also be signs of auditory processing disorder. So, regardless of the results in February, we're going to be going to another neuropsych to do some more testing whenever we can get it. (Now that she's on her ADHD meds, I think they might be able to do more.) 

Just a lot of rabbit trails and backtracking. lol 

• Like 5

I'm browsing bank branches, looking for someplace to set up local bank accounts for Dad once he gets down here.  What DH thought might be a bank is an investment office.  MIL & FIL bank at a very good bank and say they are very good to retirees -- while they have a branch or two between here and where Dad will be staying they have no branch within walking distance of Dad's future home, and he likes to write physical checks to get cash for pocket money.

There are three bank branches near Dad's new home, two branches of which are out of the question (they are to a bank that I have had some very bad experience with).  This leaves Chase bank.  Anyone here know anything about Chase bank?

I haven't had any problems with Chase, other than that they're over an hour driving away, to the middle of nowhere (or 90 minutes to Rochester, but why go there?).

I'm not sure what "writing physical checks to get cash for pocket money" means. I've gotten money at a bank a couple of times in my life, iirc, and I don't think I wrote any checks for that - just signed w/e they made me sign (it's been 5 years since the last time I did that though - not amused I had to drive over an hour to get cash, but we'd just moved here and needed a new mattress and it turned out our cards had expired the day before and the new cards sent to the previous address). Generally, I get pocket money by using my debit card and selecting the cash back option at the grocery store. Most stores allow $40-$60 back, if I want a lot of money, Walmart lets you get $100 (there are a few stores that charge you to get cash back - don't use those). Or, super sporadically, I use an ATM (I recall using one once in the past 10 years or so in the US, which was when we needed cash stat to rent this place). Generally speaking though, consistently selecting cash back at the grocery store will leave you with oodles of pocket money (I do that less than half the time).

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 2

I haven't had any problems with Chase, other than that they're over an hour driving away, to the middle of nowhere (or 90 minutes to Rochester, but why go there?).

I'm not sure what "writing physical checks to get cash for pocket money" means. I've gotten money at a bank a couple of times in my life, iirc, and I don't think I wrote any checks for that - just signed w/e they made me sign (it's been 5 years since the last time I did that though - not amused I had to drive over an hour to get cash, but we'd just moved here and needed a new mattress and it turned out our cards had expired the day before and the new cards sent to the previous address). Generally, I get pocket money by using my debit card and selecting the cash back option at the grocery store. Most stores allow $40-$60 back, if I want a lot of money, Walmart lets you get $100 (there are a few stores that charge you to get cash back - don't use those). Or, super sporadically, I use an ATM (I recall using one once in the past 10 years or so in the US, which was when we needed cash stat to rent this place). Generally speaking though, consistently selecting cash back at the grocery store will leave you with oodles of pocket money (I do that less than half the time).

He still has a checkbook. So, he goes to the bank and writes a check out to "cash" for whatever amount. I also have a checkbook, but only write a rent check every month.

• Like 1

I casually mentioned to my boss today that my DH - yeah, him, not me, nope - wants to move to Florida.  In the near future.  For retirement.  He responded with, "You can do your job from anywhere.  I think the Tampa location of [other branch of company] has office space."

"You'd be okay with me doing that? What if I mostly wanted to work from home?"

"You do most of your work at your desk anyway.  Yeah, we'd make it work.  I might make you travel to do some audits for me, though.  Since your DH would be home with your DS - retired and all."

I can't believe he was cool about it.  I was just feeling him out, LOL.  Now watch DH change his mind. <_<

• Like 13

It's 12F here, feels like -5. Tampa's 55, feels like 53. I'll take that over this.

And then there’s that whole, “cold is relative†thing.😜

The high schoolers from church left for winter camp this afternoon, all of them were in short sleeves. The camp is in the mountains and is having to make snow for the box-sled races.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

Oh Quackers!! I am so sorry!!

You’re not in the middle of that apocalyptic hurricane snow bomb thing, are you?? I keep hearing about that on the news.

Yes... we are. But we are okay; we’re a couple miles from the coast so no flooding and haven’t lost power. , I’m hearing through the grapevine about church members who aren’t. One elderly woman had her basement flooded which knocked out her furnace. She’s trying to stay there with space heaters but our Plumber Guy said her home was 45 degrees when he was there earlier today. 😬😥 I may try to check in on her later.

• Like 1

Plumber Guy Results are in!

Tank whistler has been replaced (which is important because it’s an alarm system required by law... no one will deliver oil without it). And leak seems to have been caused by the furnace connection to the fuel line (Not the tank at all). Connection was very loose (apparently our old Furnace Guy forgot to tighten it when he installed the new furnace two years ago 😖). It’s been tightened now so after I clean up the oil spill mess (tomorrow?) I’ll monitor to see for certain whether that problem is solved.

That said, Plumber Guy believes our tank ought to be replaced anyway (it may be original with house, so 70 years old😬). So we will still have to do that (a couple grand) but at least can wait and save up until spring.

Meanwhile more oil can be delivered Monday. We are at 1/8 tank, so I’m keeping house cold, but we should make it. ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Like 5

I am a bad mom and allowed dd to go out with a friend for Froyo with a lowgrade fever.  But the friend is college aged.  She's been away on a mission trip for a year and a half and is only back this week before going off to college so there was a very small window of opportunity to see her.  I told dd not to hug her friend or to share a spoon or anything. 

• Like 6

Of course you did! Perfectly understandable! Did you ever give us the recipe, 'cause now I need some. The Struggle is Real.

I haven’t posted the recipe yet because.... because.... I love you guys and I want to save you from the addiction.

#thestruggleisreal

• Like 6

Lol, i mean pizza purchased from the freezer section of the grocery store, as opposed to homemade pizza.

*imagining my feral children each gnawing on a side of frozen solid pizza*. 🙃

I think all of my children, only one of which is actually feral, would happily do this.
  • Like 7

Delightful meal out.  I had a gf Rama Noodles https://www.earlymorningfarm.com/rama-thai-noodles-broccoli-spinach-peanut-sauce/ 

Dh had cashew chicken  https://www.eatingthaifood.com/thai-cashew-chicken-recipe/

We had the entire small restaurant to ourselves.  Which is nice.  But I hope they have enough customers to stay open for a long time. 

• Like 5

Dad has limited good hours in a day, so he sticks with the old and familiar methods of doing things.  While ATM machines were something he used to use he is aware that card skimmers can be a hazard, so he prefers to simply go write a check for cash at a physical branch with live tellers.  He uses his debit card for most purchases (uses it like a credit card and calls it a credit card, though it draws directly from his checking account).

Thanks for mentioning your experience with Chase, too.  It is good to know this can be a viable option for Dad, should he wish it.

Yes... we are. But we are okay; we’re a couple miles from the coast so no flooding and haven’t lost power. , I’m hearing through the grapevine about church members who aren’t. One elderly woman had her basement flooded which knocked out her furnace. She’s trying to stay there with space heaters but our Plumber Guy said her home was 45 degrees when he was there earlier today. 😬😥 I may try to check in on her later.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  with warm blankets for her!  I hope she stays warm and safe!

• Like 1

We finally made it home! Stopped by aldi, and picked up grocery order at the afsa, and stopped by the atm.

Dh picked up our pizza order. We tried a new place. I had promised everyone we would try it in January. It was pretty good.

Now I'm in bed, reading. I will do no housework tonight.

Wait, when did that area get an aldi?

There are some things you can’t unlearn. Sometimes I see something super yummy looking on Pinterest and think, “I can never learn to make that. I will crave it forever and everytime I bake itI will eat the whole thing.â€

Right. Like rice crispy treats. Although, it is not baked. That is the simplest non-baking thing that I can eat all by myself.

• Like 1

Delightful meal out.  I had a gf Rama Noodles https://www.earlymorningfarm.com/rama-thai-noodles-broccoli-spinach-peanut-sauce/ 

Dh had cashew chicken  https://www.eatingthaifood.com/thai-cashew-chicken-recipe/

We had the entire small restaurant to ourselves.  Which is nice.  But I hope they have enough customers to stay open for a long time. 

Anytime we have a restaurant to ourselves, within 15-20 minutes, it begins to fill up. It never fails. Maybe we should visit that place so they can get more business...

• Like 3

ฉันด้วย ฉันอยาà¸à¸à¸´à¸™à¸‚้าว

Btw, this just means "Me too. I want to eat rice*".

*eat rice is just generic for eat a meal. Something to do with rice being really common at meals in Thailand. #alsohardlysurprising

• Like 4