Menu

Ignore this thread!

We are now in Oklahoma. I've already had to call 911 and report a dangerous/drunk driver. It is not even 8 am.

Alright now, let's hear it!

OOOOooooooooook-lahoma

Where the winds come sweeping down the plain....

I agree with nixing Moby, and since I hate Gatsby, would substitute Brideshead Revisited. For 10th graders? Maybe not. Is it American Lit? To Kill a Mockingbird? If it is American lit, then you'd probably better leave Gatsby in there.

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

So treacherous!!! I called 911 on that dude.

I'm planning next year's English class and need help narrowing nine works to six. So help me!

I have already scratched ben franklin's autobiography. I will keep rip van winkle and the legend of sleepy hollow along with works by Longfellow. (One selection)

So help me choose five of the following:

The last of the mohicans

The house of seven gables

Moby dick

The adventures of huckleberry Finn

House of mirth

The great Gatsby

The old man and the sea.

Tell me why you would keep or Toss. This is 10th grade English.

On my phone in the car so sorry for primitive posting style.

This will depend on your students, but...

DD read Great Gatsby and HATED it.  She was very distressed by what she perceived as the endorsement/acceptance of moral degeneracy to the degree that the moral messages were overshadowed by her outrage.  It is likely that won't be an issue with 10th graders, but I was pretty surprised by the strength of her reaction; she tends to be very mature.

Just a thought.

• Like 3

I've never read Mohicans, Seven Gables, or House of Mirth, but it seems that one of these three should be the one to get the ax.  

Even though I hated Gatsby, I think you should keep it.  :shudder:

I think that you should read Benjamin Button and Bernice Bobs Her Hair instead of Gatsby.  That's what we do.   :D

Edited by Junie
  • Like 3

House of mirth is the only female author so I am loathe to axe it. I know nothing about it.

These students managed TKaM this year so they can handle the themes of Gatsby. I've never read it, but it was college girl's favorite high school read. It was 10th or 11th grade for her.

• Like 2

I forgot to tell y'all about my great finds at the library book sale yesterday. For $1 each (one dollar!) I got a hardcover copy of The Wind in the Willows, *illustrated by Tasha Tudor*, and a hardcover copy of Kidnapped, *illustrated by N.C. Wyeth*. They are a little worn (dustjackets mostly) but otherwise in good condition.

• Like 4

On the lit issue, DD had no issues with To Kill a Mockingbird.  She just found Great Gatsby to be rather loathsome.

As for Shakespeare, Midsummer's Night Dream is just so, so much fun; I'd vote for that.

(As a side note, Hamlet is Bravewriter's Shakespeare literary analysis play for the spring.  Sign ups open on Monday.  :hurray: )

On the lit issue, DD had no issues with To Kill a Mockingbird. She just found Great Gatsby to be rather loathsome.

As for Shakespeare, Midsummer's Night Dream is just so, so much fun; I'd vote for that.

(As a side note, Hamlet is Bravewriter's Shakespeare literary analysis play for the spring. Sign ups open on Monday. :hurray: )

I think it it fun, too. I only read tragedies in high school. His comedies are outrageous.

Obviously, Gatsby is not heart warming, lol, but I don't remember any sense that the characters' choices are approved, so I think that helps.  It's been a long time since I read it, but isn't Fitzgerald pointing out hypocrisies of their society?  That usually resonates with teens, even if they get drug through the mud a bit.  Maybe the society and lifestyle of Gatsby seemed so far removed from me that the immorality was less personally offensive.  Honestly, For Whom the Bell Tolls bothered me more.

• Like 1

Mohicans. Read instead The Literary Offenses of James Fenimore Cooper. A fiction writer could do worse than pay attention to what Twain has to say.

I'd probably do either The Legend of Sleepy Hollow or Rip Van Winkle.

I like Gatspy, but only because I love to hate a certain character.

• Like 2

Well, I'm following an EIL curriculum and I hesitate to switch out stuff, mostly because it makes it harder on me. (Runs away) Looking for an easier year. As it is, I already have to create a four week writing boot camp from a semester long curriculum and tackle a Shakespeare play from scratch since that is not part of the core materials. We're doing Hamlet this year. What should we do next year?

Ah - if the curriculum is mostly written, then definitely stick with what they have and make cuts from there!

• Like 2

In Springfield and almost at the house. We survived.

I don't know if I mentioned that dh and I both graduated from Evangel University in Springfield. I think some of my friends/teachers still perform in the symphony there.

Andy's Frozen Custard and McSalty's Pizza are worth a visit. Also Kim's Korean BBQ if they are still there. Food memories. :D Dh's first job out of college was at the Taco Bell on Battlefield. He worked there for the summer until his teaching job started. Did you know Springfield was the birthplace of Cashew Chicken?

• Like 4

I don't know if I mentioned that dh and I both graduated from Evangel University in Springfield. I think some of my friends/teachers still perform in the symphony there.

Andy's Frozen Custard and McSalty's Pizza are worth a visit. Also Kim's Korean BBQ if they are still there. Food memories. :D Dh's first job out of college was at the Taco Bell on Battlefield. He worked there for the summer until his teaching job started. Did you know Springfield was the birthplace of Cashew Chicken?

Very cool! Now is a great time to visit your alma mater! :D
  • Like 2

I have learned to estimate long distance travel by adding one hour per child.  A trip that would take dh and me 6 hours can now take up to 12.   :svengo:

This is especially true when you consider nursing infants, potty-training toddlers, and kids who suffer from motion sickness.

Edited to change I to me in the second sentence.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 6

I'm planning next year's English class and need help narrowing nine works to six. So help me!

I have already scratched ben franklin's autobiography. I will keep rip van winkle and the legend of sleepy hollow along with works by Longfellow. (One selection)

The last of the mohicans

The house of seven gables

Moby dick

The adventures of huckleberry Finn

House of mirth

The great Gatsby

The old man and the sea.

You have no Steinbeck! Steinbeck got me through high school. "Grapes of Wrath", "East of Eden", "Cannery Row".... I love John Steinbeck. Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

The last of the mohicans--keep

The house of seven gables--horrid book, don't do this!

Moby dick

The adventures of huckleberry Finn--keep

House of mirth--nope, 10th graders aren't ready for Wharton

The great Gatsby--keep

The old man and the sea.--do moby dick or old man and the sea---two books about battling fish is too many :)

In Springfield and almost at the house. We survived.

Welcome!!! 

Head over to Arris Pizza for good gluten-free pizza or Zio's has wonderful gluten free pasta and flat bread. 

Cantina Laredo, I've heard, has good gluten free food. 

Aviary has really good gluten free crepes. (Their salted caramel is made in house and is divine.) 

Bair's is really good. I don't think it has a "gluten free" menu, but I always get their burgers (sans bun) and fries. (I'm not overly sensitive to cross contamination, though)

HuHot has gluten free sauces and will do an allergen cleaning of the hibachi grill if you ask. 

• Like 3

So, I've read all of those books......what are you trying to accomplish with your 10th graders? I realize you're looking at American Lit--what about something by Willa Cather? Or Amy Tan? Or Toni Morrison?

It's basically an American lit overview with writing prompts for 750 word essays using MLA citation. I want to stick closely to the curriculum because I need handholding and so do they. Because it will be a medium sized class and larger than the class this year, I want us all on the same page and following a curriculum. None of these students have done any writing in which they research and use several sources and cite in this manner. 

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 4

I apologize for the lack of Steinbeck. Lol

Thanks for the restaurant recs, Mary!

I drove around a lot today with the boys and went to King Cash saver.

I just visited King Cash Saver for the first time the other day. If we lived closer, I would probably shop there more.

Between them, HyVee, and Mama Jean's, I can stay pretty well stocked on gluten free items. 

Just north of Bass Pro (through the Sunshine intersection) is a used homeschool curriculum store (Pilgrim's Way). Redeemed (off National and near Zios) also has used curriculum. 

You know, just in case you're looking for something for next year. :)

Edited by Southern Ivy
  • Like 1

I just visited King Cash Saver for the first time the other day. If we lived closer, I would probably shop there more.

Between them, HyVee, and Mama Jean's, I can stay pretty well stocked on gluten free items.

Just north of Bass Pro (through the Sunshine intersection) is a used homeschool curriculum sore (Pilgrim's Way). Redeemed (off National and near Zios) also has used curriculum.

You know, just in case you're looking for something for next year. :)

I am always looking. Thanks!