• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Boo hoo

Never mind the boohoo...

Booyah to ring in the New Year... May it be filled with...

Elephant ninjas ready to fight

Wookies

Healthy kids

Well-behaved in-laws

And bosses

Good sleep

Hula dancing

Prosperity

Good skin

Nice neighbors

And all of the good things:-)

Hear! hear!  :cheers2:

Good morning! It's cold and rainy here, so I am planning to stay in, make more soup, and keep working on my to-do list. It's been great having dh home for two weeks!  Our house is fully unpacked, everything is on the walls, and my schoolroom is arranged better.  I am still missing almost all of my spelling curricula....which is weird.  My library thing account tells me it was in box 21, and we have the other contents of that box, so I know it made it here to this house.  Where would you hide All About Spelling and Sequential Spelling?  Somehow Spelling Power is still around...

• Like 3

Booya!

This booya is dedicated to Mary and dd, and to those who watched Sherlock and are not spoiling it for those of us who have to wait until it gets to Netflix instantplay!

This is the thread that never ends,

It just goes on and on my friends.

People started posting not knowing what it was,

And they'll continue posting forever just because...

This is the thread that never ends

You'd best come join it with your friends

'Cuz it will replace Facebook as the latest web-based craze

And everyone will post here instead for the rest of their days

This is the thread that's always there

They'll cheer you up so don't despair

The group is growing well as more people start checking in

And we'll keep sucking them in because our cheer is addictive

This is the thread that never ends...

Excellent booya. :cheers2:

• Like 2

Good Morning! I had a dream about all you people last night. We met up at a homeschool convention. Any then my mom was there and wanted me to make introductions. But I couldn't because I'd never seen any of you IRL so I didn't know who anyone was. It was a very bizarre dream. And could I ask you all a favor? If you do happen to meet my mom at a homeschool convention, please introduce yourself. Don't make me do it. Thanks!

• Like 6

Good Morning!

I ran out of likes 3 pages ago.  Bummer.

I think a book a month club on the ITT is a great idea.  I'm in. 

Tex, I can't believe you would recommend a writing program you haven't used.  :lol:

Hi Heather.  :seeya:

Renai, sorry you're still sick!  Hope you find the lit. guide - did you try under the bed?

I worked on my bedroom and my "homeschool curricula and hand me down clothing" closet.  Still have more to do in my room.  And now, further behind on laundry. 

I finished reading Heir to the Empire last night.  It is the first of a trilogy that was written after Return of the Jedi.  It was written in 1991.  I'm read the 20year edition with author's annotation (which I sometimes read and sometime ignored).  It was contracted, authorized, approved by Lucas.  So, I supposed it's "Expanded Universe" which doesn't matter anymore - just one person's take on where the story could have gone, which is no longer relevant.  But it made bestseller at the time, I think even surpassing The Firm.  So, now I'll probably read the other two books just because.

Impulsive extrovert.  It explains so much. :leaving:

• Like 2

I dreamed that college girl lived in a crummy apartment with her roommate, and I showed up to do laundry, cook, and clean.  They had let things go to pot completely.  It was a good thing I showed up. :lol:

College girl was supposed to bring boyfriend here to meet us yesterday, then changed it to today.  This morning she texted that she just wanted to spend time with him, and we could meet him the next time he comes to town, is that okay?  I texted back "no".   :lol:   Because no, it's not.  He is a vague weirdo in my head until I meet and evaluate him.  I told her bring him by for a bit - it doesn't have to be five hours.  She had told the children that she would take them to see Star Wars today, but that is off.  She is fickle.  However, I WILL meet this dude who claims to be her boyfriend. Oh, yes, I will. :hat:

Dh and the boys are working the church food outreach.  Little dd is asleep.  I have a warm cat in my lap, and I really need to read some of Frankenstein.  That is the next book we are covering for English co-op class.

I tried to read Frankenstein a few month ago, because we're doing Brit Lit this year.  I didn't even make it halfway through the book before I gave up.   :(

Maybe you can read it for me.   :coolgleamA:   I would like to know if there's anything inappropriate for a moderately-sheltered 15-yr-old boy who likes Shakespeare/Tolkien and hates Austen.  Thanks.

In return, I will offer this gem of a question for college girl's boyfriend:  Tell me about your favorite books.  If he answers in less than an hour, send him packing...   :laugh:

Edited by Junie
  • Like 1

I tried to read Frankenstein a few month ago, because we're doing Brit Lit this year.  I didn't even make it halfway through the book before I gave up.   :(

Maybe you can read it for me.   :coolgleamA:   I would like to know if there's anything inappropriate for a moderately-sheltered 15-yr-old boy who likes Shakespeare/Tolkien and hates Austen.  Thanks.

In return, I will offer this gem of a question for college girl's boyfriend:  Tell me about your favorite books.  If he answers in less than an hour, send him packing...   :laugh:

:lol:

Remind me to give you a report on Frankenstein when I am done.  I subbed it for Jane Eyre, which the curriculum called for.  Couldn't imagine doing that to my group of mostly teen boys.  I think it should be fine for your son, though.  It depends on what your definition of inappropriate is in this context.  If he's read Shakespeare and Tolkien, he should be fine. :laugh:

Is it bad that I am not prepared to like the boyfriend?  Yes, I will play nice.  Sigh.  That is the price of admission.

• Like 2

Speaking of which, how is your bp?  Not as troublesome as your head, nose, throat, and ears, I hope!

I have no idea. Remember, Gymnast lost the tube that connects the cuff to the monitor so we can't check bp. I've been taking my meds though, so should be ok. Although Jean is worried and thinks I should go to the pharmacy to check it.

Remind me to give you a report on Frankenstein when I am done.  I subbed it for Jane Eyre, which the curriculum called for.  Couldn't imagine doing that to my group of mostly teen boys.  I think it should be fine for your son, though.  It depends on what your definition of inappropriate is in this context.  If he's read Shakespeare and Tolkien, he should be fine. :laugh:

Is it bad that I am not prepared to like the boyfriend?  Yes, I will play nice.  Sigh.  That is the price of admission.

I remember really liking Jane Eyre, but I couldn't do that to ds15.  And for Austen, all we did was watch the movie "Emma".  I gave him the choice of watching the movie or reading the book.  (Disclosure:  I haven't read Austen yet.   :leaving: )  I was too  busy trying to read Frankenstein...

Did you know that there is a lot of British Literature?   :lol:  

I'm going to Salado today, either with a friend to do lunch or with Mr. Ellie. It doesn't matter to me who comes along, because I want to go to this store.

That is all.

I've been to Salado.  Very charming town.  Enjoy!

I remember really liking Jane Eyre, but I couldn't do that to ds15.  And for Austen, all we did was watch the movie "Emma".  I gave him the choice of watching the movie or reading the book.  (Disclosure:  I haven't read Austen yet.   :leaving: )  I was too  busy trying to read Frankenstein...

Did you know that there is a lot of British Literature?   :lol:  

Most of the literature is British.  The Brits had a head start on us.   :laugh:

• Like 2

I don't watch Sherlock because I don't know how to operate the remote control or the first thing about the TV channels.  I watch what the children and dh turn on for me.  I'm one year old.

All you need is PBS.  I can talk you through that, if you want.  It's Pretty Basic Stuff.  

This is Sherlock, after all!  The great white hope in the cesspool of television drama today.  The only reason one would need a tv remote in the first place!  (Well, and football. And maybe Call the Midwife, or Downton Abbey, but I haven't seen either of those so I can't say for sure.)   

• Like 1

MIL called to ask if the broccoli cheese soup we made a week ago is still good to eat. She asked this after asking if we wanted her to mail the small appliance gift we left at their house to us.

So would it tempt you to change your answer on the broccoli soup question if you knew that the appliance was actually the gift you and dh gave her for Christmas?

I told her that she should just keep the appliance. She said she really didn't like it and would see if someone in the church wanted it, or she'd throw it away.

I just keep telling myself the drugs have addled her brain.

• Like 5

MIL called to ask if the broccoli cheese soup we made a week ago is still good to eat. She asked this after asking if we wanted her to mail the small appliance gift we left at their house to us.

So would it tempt you to change your answer on the broccoli soup question if you knew that the appliance was actually the gift you and dh gave her for Christmas?

I told her that she should just keep the appliance. She said she really didn't like it and would see if someone in the church wanted it, or she'd throw it away.

I just keep telling myself the drugs have addled her brain.

Tell her to throw out the soup and to mail the appliance.

:grouphug:

• Like 3

Dh has decided that a great family activity for today would be to drive to a big mall 45 minutes away. I hate malls. He hates malls. Why do we want to go to a mall? And why drive for 45 minutes to get there? We have a big mall 15 minutes away and a small, quaint mall (with an antique shop) 5 minutes away.

#thethingsidoforthisfamily

Dh has decided that a great family activity for today would be to drive to a big mall 45 minutes away. I hate malls. He hates malls. Why do we want to go to a mall? And why drive for 45 minutes to get there? We have a big mall 15 minutes away and a small, quaint mall (with an antique shop) 5 minutes away.

Does he have a reason?

I hate malls, as well.  I would be sending dh with anyone he could talk into going to the mall with him and staying home myself, but I am currently bah humbug about everything due to slow and stupid.  

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 2

There is an excellent audio version of Frankenstein-makes it much easier to get through!

No.

Do I have to put milk in Chai tea?

Yes.

I hate malls, as well.  I would be sending dh with anyone he could talk into going to the mall with him and staying home myself, but I am currently bah humbug about everything due to slow and stupid.  

What Tex said.

• Like 2

Do I have to put milk in Chai tea?

I'm not going to say duh since you're pregnant. Yes. Chai tea is steeped in milk. Use any milk you want though, if cow milk is not agreeing with you. Dd16 says it tastes really good with almond milk. She's the chai expert in the household.

• Like 2

:seeya:

It was 8 degrees this morning. And windy.  cold.gif  In addition, all THREE horses decided to do science experiments last night, so I had to dump and scrub THREE water tubs.  And the poop froze into the ground and had to be chopped out with a rake. faint.gif

On the plus side, I started my morning NOT with the computer but with a devotional and then a book.  And then did my outside chores. (see above.)  And now, finally, am allowing myself to catch up here.  Do I get points for virtue?  :laugh:

• Like 4

I'm not going to say duh since you're pregnant. Yes. Chai tea is steeped in milk. Use any milk you want though, if cow milk is not agreeing with you. Dd16 says it tastes really good with almond milk. She's the chai expert in the household.

Oh shut up. I've never had it before!

Oh shut up. I've never had it before!

I hadn't either until a couple of years ago when I was invited to one of my student's homes (to tutor) and her mom made chai. The family was Punjabi. Then last year, dd16 re-introduced me. When she went to the arts charter last year, she and her friends would go to a nearby chai cafe. She made me go to that cafe and forced me to drink their chai. :lol:  It is really good when done right.

• Like 1

I will only read my own books.

Mary's not good at jenga.

Doesn't everyone make their own list of books they want to read? I think I'd like a check-in to make sure we're just on track with our goals, and maybe what we're getting out of it.

• Like 1

Are we going to do the book-a-month discussion here, or on the chat board?

The book I'm reading now that I started at the end of December is Boundaries for Marriage. I haven't made a list for the rest of the year yet.

Personally, I would prefer here, but I will follow you wherever you go, Yoda!

I will only read my own books.

Mary's not good at jenga.

Flounce.

Doesn't everyone make their own list of books they want to read? I think I'd like a check-in to make sure we're just on track with our goals, and maybe what we're getting out of it.

I think either way would be good.  It might be fun to read the same book, at least sometimes.  Except for Slash. ;)

I pruned half the back yard. It feels so good. I love pruning. Dh hates it when I prune because I am not nearly so conservative as he is with the clippers. But I am a good pruner. And I like to do it. So much more satisfying than housework. I'll come prune ya'lls' yards if you want. (So is that correct? Two apostrophes for plural possessive of ya'll? It's so hard to combine good grammar with bad English. Although Glenn, on The First and Second Form Latin vids kind of legitimized it for me. Don't tell anyone, but I have a secret crush on him)

Oooh, oooh, oooya/h! I got a booya/h!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 8