Menu

Terry Pratchett

Night Elf

This article by Neil Gaiman from last fall was very interesting http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/sep/24/terry-pratchett-angry-not-jolly-neil-gaiman

I loved this:

Terry’s authorial voice is always Terry’s: genial, informed, sensible, drily amused. I suppose that, if you look quickly and are not paying attention, you might, perhaps, mistake it for jolly. But beneath any jollity there is a foundation of fury. Terry Pratchett is not one to go gentle into any night, good or otherwise.

He will rage, as he leaves, against so many things: stupidity, injustice, human foolishness and shortsightedness, not just the dying of the light. And, hand in hand with the anger, like an angel and a demon walking into the sunset, there is love: for human beings, in all our fallibility; for treasured objects; for stories; and ultimately and in all things, love for human dignity.

• Like 6

:sad:

He was one of my favorites. His brand of dry, wry, cynical humor that poked fiercely at small mindedness, hatred, prejudice and unkindness was precious and unique. The world is poorer for his loss.

I agree.

He will be greatly missed. My ds (who has almost every Terry Pratchett book on his shelves with the goal of one day having them all) is so sad today.