Menu

If you celebrate Valentine's Day..

Moxie

OK- romantic dinner idea:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Quick-Coq-au-Vin-361231

Serve with salad or green veggies, really good bread.  Mashed potatoes are a favorite here.

And FWIW, I know they call them "STD"s now, but I still can't abbreviate Valentines Day by its initials. :huh:

And this is what I got DH for Valentine's Day. http://shop.jacklinks.com/product/detail/50840.aspx

What are your plans?? I need a yummy romantic dinner idea. And a gift idea. I'm stumped this year.

If you think VD is stupid or you have no desire to celebrate, fine, but not the response I'm looking for.

How about Steak Diane? And hasselback potatoes?

Gifts...hmmm...my DH loves it when I super clean his car.

A few years ago there was a big snow storm and I couldn't get out. I made dh chocolate truffles, which were amazingly easy to make and had like three ingredients that I happened to have in the house (cream, semi sweet chocolate and cocoa powder). dh liked them!

I detailed dh's car once and he liked that.

We usually go out for dinner :) No cooking for me or DH, and no clean up after!

I'm always stumped for gifts. Generally for VD we just exchange cards and chocolates, sometimes DH buys me pajamas. Our serious gift giving holidays are more birthday, anniversary, Christmas, mother's day/father's day. On VD we just concentrate on getting some one-on-one time.

Red meat. We'll prepare a small roast that's served pink in the middle.

Red potatoes. Probably with parley and butter, but maybe mashed with the skins.

Salad--mixed leaves that include some red leaves, topped with pieces of red apple, bits of dried cherries and a fruity vinaigrette dressing.

Buns.  Last year I tried making buns shaped like hearts, but instead they looked like the other type of buns, (and thus deserving of an R rating for nudity.)

Red wine. Probably cabernet--my husband will pick it.

A dark chocolate cake, served with red raspberries & raspberry sauce for dessert.

And FWIW, I know they call them "STD"s now, but I still can't abbreviate Valentines Day by its initials. :huh:

My first job was at a bakery. We took a zillion orders and were taught to abbreviate when possible.   HB was Happy birthday but near Valentine's Day we were so busy they didn't want any cakes to have the wrong inscription so to distinguish between Birthday cakes and Valentine cakes we had to write Happy VD on the order form.   In 1980, we'd never heard of them being called STDs so yeah, we turned into twelve year olds laughing at that. 

Dh's birthday is the 13th so we usually have leftover birthday cake. When the kids were little we made heart shaped pizzas. Come to think of that, dh would really enjoy that this year.g

Urban Outfitters has a "geek" mug that says I LOVE YOU MORE THAN WI-FI. I thought that was kind of cute.

We love having fondue and salad on special days -- and the vegan orange chicken from Whole Foods. But everything is so far in our new state that. . . it all sounds tiring.

Great wife, huh?

Alley

Many times, we make fondue for St. Valentine's Day.

We start with cheese fondue, dipping in bread and cauliflower and broccoli (raw). Then we clean the pot and heat peanut oil, and cook steak and chicken. We have little glass bowls with bbq, steak sauce, ranch and teriyaki sauch and we dip after cooking. Then we clean the pot again, and have chocolate fondue for dinner, dipping strawberries, bananas and pieces of pound cake. All is accompanied by wine, good conversation, and privacy (kids go elsewhere or to bed).

It's lovely.

This year, Ds gave me an electric fondue pot. We have a regular one, so it'll be nice to not have to clean out the cheese one until the next day!

We are planning to go the Miami Sailboat show.  I am finding out that hotels are through the roof even for Friday night.  Dh's birthday is next weekend too.  We really want to go to the boat show though and it is far enough that we can't reasonably drive and come home in the same day.

I think we are going to dinner with 3 other couples.  We are going to dinner at 4pm to hopefully beat the crowds.  

We normally don't go out, so this will be a new one for us.  

If that doesn't work out, we will probably just bring dinner in for the whole family.

Our actual wedding anniversary is on 2/13. We shifted money earmarked for an overnight getaway for the two of us into whale watching in May for the whole family. I will probably make a really nice dinner and see if I can set up sleepovers for the kids on the night of the 13th. On the 14th, I am planning to do breakfast for dinner and I have PEZ dispensers and valentines for the kiddos.

For dinner on 2/13, maybe I will make my husband's favorite Indian foods.

Shrimp or steak. Or both. And a chocolate dessert.

Well, that's how we used to celebrate Valentine's Day. But then a 9 lb. 10 oz. boy barreled his way into our lives, ten years ago next week. He was due the 5th of February. I told him he was absolutely not to come on Valentine's Day, because I didn't want him to have to share the day. He took his time coming out but obliged me by showing up twelve hours before Valentine's Day started. So now we celebrate with leftover cake. :)

Ha - I came on here thinking I was going to learn about St. Valentine and how to integrate that info into kid festivities.  I didn't even consider the romance aspect of celebrating.

What is romantic or nice as a gift varies so much from person to person.  Somehow finding a way to be alone (the two of you, without kids) or having the kids serve you a fancy dinner could be nice.  Gift - think of what he does on Sunday afternoons and find something for that.

GL.