Menu

Looking for the world's laziest slow cooker recipe

Jerico

Warning: extreme laziness ahead!

Our church has a fellowship meal every week and i'm tired of constantly thinking of meals. I'd like to have 1 or 2 go to meals. But I don't want any prep because I never remember to do it before hand. I do not mind cooking rice in my rice cooker the day before and dumping it in. But I don't want to dirty any other dishes. I want to dump it in the morning of, plug it in there and be done. Also, no soups because I would have to provide bowls.

Crock Pot Mac & Cheese

2 cups uncooked macaroni

2 cups cottage cheese

2 cups shredded cheese (any kind you like)

1 stick of butter

2 cups boiling water

Grease crock pot. Pour in uncooked macaroni. Top with cottage cheese (if you would like, you can add cooked bacon or ham in a layer, too). Top with shredded cheese; slice butter over the top. Pour boiling water over it all; do NOT stir. Cover and cook on high for 2 ½ hours.

Recipe can be doubled; it still cooks for the same amount of time.

Easy BBQ Chicken Sandwiches

Ingredients: 

4 large or 6 medium chicken breasts (2.5 to 3 pounds)*
1 large onion, diced
2-3 cups barbecue sauce of your choice
6 sandwich buns or hot freshly cooked rice, for serving

Instructions: 

1. Trim fat and skin from chicken. (If using split chicken breast, remove bone as well.)

2. Layer chicken, onions, and sauce in a slow cooker.

3. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 7-8 hours.

Serve chicken and sauce over hot rice, or shred the meat and use for sandwiches.

Meatballs:

1 large bag of frozen meatballs (or 3 of the small ones

1 can bottled chili sauce (heinz or store brand)

1 small jar of grape jelly

Dump it all in, stir when it gets warm enough for the grape jelly to ooze (or i suppose you could heat it ahead of time) and cook on high for 2-3 hours. Needs to be turned to warm after that, though, or it basically turns into meat candy.

Easy BBQ Chicken Sandwiches

Ingredients: 

4 large or 6 medium chicken breasts (2.5 to 3 pounds)*

1 large onion, diced

2-3 cups barbecue sauce of your choice

6 sandwich buns or hot freshly cooked rice, for serving

Instructions: 

1. Trim fat and skin from chicken. (If using split chicken breast, remove bone as well.)

2. Layer chicken, onions, and sauce in a slow cooker.

3. Cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 7-8 hours.

Serve chicken and sauce over hot rice, or shred the meat and use for sandwiches.

Even easier: I do this without the onion. 

Throw some chicken breasts or pork chops into the slow cooker.

Pour in some of your favorite sauce; amount needed will vary based on the size of your slow cooker and amount of meat--BBQ sauce or salsa tend to work well.

Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4ish hours.

Depending on what meat and sauce you used, you may want to shred it with two forks (BBQ chicken is a particularly good thing to shred), but you may not (salsa pork is good without shredding).

Or, almost as easy as those, and SO very good: Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs/Legs/Whatever, as long as it has skin and bones so it doesn't dry out (quoted from http://garlicmysoul.com/blog/paleo-friendly-honey-garlic-wings/):

Ingredients

2-3 lbs of wings (I increased my recipe because I have a large crock pot. Be aware that the wings that lay on the bottom of the crock pot will brown more than those piled on top)
3/4 cup of raw honey
1.5 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp of olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1-2 tbsp cayenne pepper (if you want a little heat!)

Directions
1. Toss wings into crock pot
2. In a bowl, mix all other ingredients. You may want to heat the honey a little so it mixes and pours easily.
3. Pour mixture over wings. Mix.
4. Cook on low for 6 hours or 3-4 hours on high 

Black Bean and Salsa Soup:

Throw in a couple of cans of black beans (drained and rinsed), canned or frozen corn (drained if canned), a jar of salsa (16-24 oz.), and 3-4 cups of chicken broth (or two standard sized cans). Season to taste with cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook on low for a few hours - you're basically just heating it up and letting the flavors blend.

Optional additions:Add in a cup of shredded cheddar cheese near the end, and stir until blended. Add a cup of sour cream and stir until blended. You can do both cheese and sour cream or either one. 

If you want meat, add some cooked, cubed chicken or ham.

Pork shoulder/butt

BBQ rub (Costco's is great!)

Salt if there's none in rub

Splash of apple cider vinegar

Cook on low until it shreds easily. I cube it in smaller pieces if I need it to hurry. Or do it in the pressure cooker, but you didn't ask about that. ;)

Easy, and lazy:  

Chicken breasts and 1 jar of salsa  (tortillas)

Chicken breasts and 1 bottle of bbq sauce (shredded sandwiches/slider rolls)

Chicken, cup of water, taco seasoning mix (tortillas)

Stew meat, bag of frozen vegetables, beef broth  

Any cut of beef, beef broth, seasoning (shredded beef sandwiches/slider rolls)

Frozen meatballs and jar of bbq or teriyaki sauce (mini sliders)

potatoes, chicken broth, seasoning  (baked potato soup)

You might want to check out A Year of Slow Cooking and look for the easy recipes...

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Frozen chicken + bottle of teriyaki sauce = teriyaki chicken to put over your rice.

I forgot to add my other lazy one:

1 pork butt shoulder + 2 envelopes Lipton onion soup mix + a little water. Cook 1 hour on high, then the rest of the day on low. Shred, serve on buns with bbq sauce.