Menu

If you're sensitive to onions, how do you cook without them?

ILiveInFlipFlops

I'm starting to wonder if I've developed a sensitivity to onions (I think they're upsetting my stomach). But just about everything I cook starts with celery and onions these days! How do you make soups, stews, etc. without onions? Leaving them out must affect the flavor quite a bit, no? Is there an alternative, or is my only option to leave them out entirely and adjust to the different flavor? The funny thing is that I don't even like onions, but they're important to the flavor base of so many things.

Any advice is welcome!

I developed a sensitivity to onions after ds was born but only raw onions. Cooked onions don't bother me so I make sure they are well cooked, almost clear. Also, on of dh's family members is extremely allergic to onions but can have onion powder. Maybe try dehydrated onion flakes or powder for the flavor?

Carrots and celery

Peppers, carrots, and celery

Soften one of the above in the pan first and then proceed with the soup/stew/whatever. Develop your flavors that way and explore other herbs and spices. I don't think lack of onion is going to break the flavor of a recipe. (Well, unless it's french onion soup or onion rings. Obviously you can't make those without onions) Can you have more garlic? Do you like garlic? Add more garlic. :0)

I have a friend who has this sensitivity.  She just leaves them out.  For a soup base, you can use the veggies mentioned upthread by Mamaraby, and I also add some shredded parsnips  

I really wish I could multi-quote right now!

Thanks everyone. The onions are always well-cooked, either boiled in or cooked down at the beginning of the cooking process (I really hate onions, so I don't even want to know they're in there! I don't mind them as part of the background flavor though). I don't know if onion-infused oil would work, because I think even my broth made with onions is giving me tummy trouble. It didn't occur to me to use different kinds of onions--that's a good idea. Though I made potato leek soup not long ago, and that was a bad night :( So I fear that all onions and onion-related veggies might be a problem. I'll have to run a few more experiments to get some conclusive answers :lol: This is all fairly new, and I'm really wondering why. I'm not enjoying having an upset stomach every single night!

I'll see if extra celery and garlic might do the job. I suspect the others here will protest at first, but hopefully they'll adjust if they have to. 

Thanks for all the ideas!

I don't cook with onions.  I can't do leeks, chives, green onions or anything oniony.  It does not matter if it is raw, well cooked, powdered, flaked or hidden.

I just don't cook with them.  Obviously this does not work with onion soup or onion tart where onion is a main ingredient.  If I come across a recipe that calls for a ton of onions, but where it is also not the main ingredient, I use fennel.  When you cook fennel it is mild, kind of looks like onions when cooked, and adds moisture.

I can do garlic oddly.  So I do use garlic regularly. 

Is onion the problem, or is too much oil the problem?  Just thinking at the keyboard. . .

As suggested by another, it may be best to shy away from the entire family (onions, garlic, etc.) 

For me, there is no life without garlic and onions.  But I would do whatever I had to do to avoid feeling sick.  Hope you feel better very soon!

Onions are a migraine trigger but shallots aren't so I would try them assuming they are similar enough in taste to add flavor but different enough that they may not cause a reaction.  (Although shallots tend to dissolve and disappear so i wouldn't rely on them for bulk.)

edit because I said scallions when I meant shallots

Onions are a migraine trigger but shallots aren't so I would try them assuming they are similar enough in taste to add flavor but different enough that they may not cause a reaction.  (Although shallots tend to dissolve and disappear so i wouldn't rely on them for bulk.)

edit because I said scallions when I meant shallots

Ok now that you mention it I do ok with shallots.  I still don't tend to use them because they are expensive and I could not be bothered.  I had tons of migraines as a kid.  As an adult I have not cooked with onions and have had no migraines.

This is so interesting.  Never heard/read that...

I developed a sensitivity to onions after ds was born but only raw onions. Cooked onions don't bother me so I make sure they are well cooked, almost clear. Also, on of dh's family members is extremely allergic to onions but can have onion powder. Maybe try dehydrated onion flakes or powder for the flavor?

Dh is sensitive to onions, but is OK with them as long as they are cooked nearly to mush. He is fine with green onions.