Menu

Sometimes I think this hurts more than it helps :(

shinyhappypeople

I love reading these forums.  I've learned so much for the interesting, wise people here.

But sometimes I think that, at this point in our homeschool journey, it does me more harm than good.

I tend to get overwhelmed by the variety of opinions.  I get distracted, can't focus.  Well, actually, that's me anyway.  But I think it makes it harder when I come here and read about what others are doing.

I guess I'm just wondering if I'm the only one like this. Can too much information be a bad thing and do more harm than good?  I'm really hoping I'm not the only one.... 

Yes, it's not uncommon. IME the key is to do a quick evaluation of your own mood and not go on the forum if you're not in the right frame of mind. Sometimes you might be here looking for some specific help or information, and sometimes you might be here more for virtual socialization, but either way, it helps to keep in mind these principles:

1. Your daughters aren't the same as anyone else's children. Therefore what is best for my kids probably wouldn't be best for yours.

2. Home education, like the rest of life, is such a huge smorgasbord of possibilities that no one person can even look at everything, let alone do everything. Therefore there will always be valuable, fun and interesting things that you don't have the time, energy or money to do. And that is OK.

I love reading these forums.  I've learned so much for the interesting, wise people here.

But sometimes I think that, at this point in our homeschool journey, it does me more harm than good.

I tend to get overwhelmed by the variety of opinions.  I get distracted, can't focus.  Well, actually, that's me anyway.  But I think it makes it harder when I come here and read about what others are doing.

I guess I'm just wondering if I'm the only one like this. Can too much information be a bad thing and do more harm than good?  I'm really hoping I'm not the only one.... 

I felt a bit overwhelmed my first 1-2 years on the board, but slowly I learned that I usually relied on the opinions of a handful of board members. There are maybe 10-15 board members that can really sway me, because through experience, I have learned to trust them.

The good information, ideas, and practices that I have received far outweigh the moments of being overwhelmed.

I have found that if the plethora of opinions offered, distract or confuse me, it's because I have strayed too far from my own personal goals.

I am not expressing this well. I get being overwhelmed, but I know for myself that I would be so much more overwhelmed without this board. The people here make my homeschool world go 'round. Nan in Mass forever reminds me that I teach "real" students for whom standards answers may not apply (moving targets and climbing down out of the trees); Corraleno seems to have an endless supply of alternative answers; Jane in NC reminds me to keep it genuine; Regentrude keeps me practical and not trying to reinvent the wheel; EightFilltheHeart helps me keep academic rigor in mind, but she and Eliana also remind me that the teacher is so much more than pure academics - that soul matters even if one would prefer that it didn't. ElegantLion brings much needed humor and perseverance to the table.  Actually, I think my list extends beyond 10-15, thankfully. I could name so many more posters who have enhanced our homeschooling and my own personal life.

Really, curriculum choices are the easy part compared to pondering potential learning challenges, family problems, financial limitations, or children that outstrip our ability to teach a subject. For me, this board has added depth, texture, challenge, imagination, and yes, soul to our homeschooling. The folks here have kept me from losing my mind; they haven't tended to make me lose it, if that makes sense.

:grouphug: Take a deep breath and relax. You are at an amazing buffet served by many master chefs. You don't have to "eat" everything. Pick a handful of small, easy things to try and go from there. Relish the variety, but don't be overwhelmed by it.

Just like I avoid shopping when I don't need anything, I avoid coming here when I don't need to be 'shopping' for curriculum. I tend to come here at the end of the year and browse a little and make sure I have all my holes filled, and then leave it until spring. If I am having problems throughout the year sometimes I browse through here and see if anyone else has similar things going on.

It can get overwhelming. It's easy to second guess myself. I have to keep telling myself that what we're doing is working, just leave it alone.

I mostly find the forums really helpful. I purposefully though don't open threads that are about curriculum/subjects that I am happy with. So I avoid Math threads when we are happy with Math or Latin threads because we like out Latin program. If I do open them invariably someone will be talking about the best ever new thing in math and it will make me wonder if just maybe we should switch. I use it for searches when I do need help or to read more of the general education threads.  It also helps to know which posters I tend to agree with in terms of educational style or curriculum choices. If I see a thread by one of them, I open it and read and glean what is helpful from it. 

I've been on the boards for over a decade. They can be very helpful or not. I am a "minimalist" homeschooler in some ways. I know what I like, I know how I teach, I know my kids, I know what educational pedagogy is most effective. I don't bother with stuff that doesn't fit some specific criteria. Makes things much simpler.

I do still learn a lot from the boards in terms of new products, have met some wonderful people through here and have had some cool opportunities present themselves from being on board. 

Oh I have definitely gone through moments where I was sure I had chosen the wrong thing and I'm going to horribly screw up my kid.  Sometimes I just don't read these sections for awhile.  That helps. 

I rely on what people say about various books, etc. because most of the time I have to order it almost entirely sight unseen.  But yes so many opinions and factors can drive a person crazy.

I've only been here 3 years but I've had to take breaks, for sure. Especially in that first year, when I was in research mode and not homeschooling yet. It was just...a lot.

I've learned that my kids/family aren't other peoples kids/family. The boys are not exceptional in any direction, our level of daily chaos with "extra" toddlers in and out all the time isn't your average, and ect. We may not strive for the levels of rigor that others do, but that's ok. We arent them.

I've learned to avoid certain threads. Because we are doing well in that subject at the moment, or because we aren't even studying that subject at all (so I don't need to think about it!). I don't delve into religious/political threads or the general chat at all, ever, because the emotional toll can be too high (I'm very sensitive to drama).

But I don't know where I'd be without these boards. Probably with kids in public school, and that's no joke. My local homeschooling communities advice usually runs, "I found some great curriculum at the dollar store!" And that is a direct quote :/. This is really the only place I find advice that comes from a place of passion and experience, and as a newbie, I need it.

OP, you aren't alone.  Sometimes I've forced myself to take a break.  Overall, the benefits of community (lacking where I live) have out-weighed my anxiety rise due to letting my thoughts get away from me.  Great advice on evaluating yourself before checking out the forum.

I think it depends on why you're using the curriculum/educational  philosophy you're using.  If you're doing it because you consciously considered your options, chose what you did for specific reasons unique to your family and your specific goals, then other peoples' choices won't lure you. You already have a fairly good sense that those different choices weren't a good fit for you.  If you're choosing things more randomly or less consciously  then you're probably at higher risk for being lured to what someone else is using, just because they're using it or because they can articulate why it's a good fit for them.

It depends on why you're here at the boards too.  If you're here because you're looking for the "right way" to homeschool then you'll be disappointed because that's so dependent on family dynamics, inherent abilities, lifestyle choices, parenting philosophy, individual personalities, individual goals, and a dozen other things, so nothing will work the same way for 2 homeschooling families.  There isn't a template that fits everyone which can be very jarring for new homeschoolers who only have an institutionalized-one-size-fits-all background in education.  They need to know that every homeschool is very different from every other homeschool, even two families using the exact same materials with closely matching philosophies.

When you come here, it may be more useful to do it after you've articulated to yourself what you're looking for so you can better choose forums and threads that best suit your current needs. People need different things at different times. Those needs can include, but are not limited to:

Educational Goals

1. Long term goals

2. Mid term goals

3. Short term goals

Family Dynamics

4. Family/personality dynamics issues related to academics (also how to keep little ones busy during school time)

5. Family/personality dynamics issues not related to academics

6. Dealing with extended relatives

Academics/Enrichment Activities

7. Choosing which academic subjects/enrichment activities to teach and which to avoid

8. Choosing an educational philosophy for an academic subject/enrichment activities

9. Choosing curriculum and materials for an academic subject/enrichment activities

10. Learning teaching techniques for an academic subject/enrichment activities

11. Assessing a child's progress in or readiness for an academic subject/enrichment activities

12. Choosing assignments and projects for an academic subject/enrichment activities

13. Documenting a child's completion of an academic subject/enrichment activities

14. Considering different alternative or outsourced subject/enrichment activity options

Learning Household Management Skills

14. Learning Household Management Skills (meal planning, establishing routines, budgeting, doing chores efficiently and effectively)

15. Teaching children household management skills (meal planning, establishing routines, budgeting, doing chores efficiently and effectively)

Socializing with Other Homeschoolers

16. Commiserating and sympathizing

17. Getting advice

18. Offering advice

19. Sharing successes and failures

20. Humor

21. Inspiration

Transitioning a Child Out of Homeschooling

22. College application

23. Military

24. brick and mortar schools

25. online schools

26. afterschooling

27. job training

28. apprenticeships/internships

29. scholarships

30. starting businesses/entering the workforce

Special Circumstances

31. Child w/special needs

32. Child or parent with chronic illness

33. Homeschooling through a crisis

34. Working parent(s) homeschooling

35. homeschooling on a severely limited budget

Other

Is there something in particular we can help you with?

Y'all are very wise :)

Have you ever sat down with yourself and dug really deep and thought:  if there were no outside pressure or commentary, no forums, no state standards, no standardized tests (SATs), no experts... if there was NONE of that, what would your homeschool look like?  For the first few years of our homeschooling I was in constant conflict with what I believed was best and what the homeschool-charter believed was necessary.  LOTS of pressure. I couldn't have implemented what I really wanted, even if I knew exactly what it was.  (We're no longer with the charter.) So, anyway, this afternoon I was thinking about this thread and the charter and thinking most of all what feels right for our homeschool.  This is what I came up with:

I would keep it very simple, very lean, very efficient.  I don't want required schoolwork to take more than a couple of hours a day.

I would make sure both girls were reading and writing well.  

I would make sure we had plenty of time for the stuff they love (karate, theater, dance, voice, cooking, drawing, crafting, minecraft).  

We'd keep plugging away at math, a little each day, so that they knew enough to be productive adults and transition into college without a problem (neither kid puffy-heart-loves math or STEM).  

I would start reading aloud to them again.  

I'd be flexible about output in the content areas.  I think some output matters because engaging with the material in a pleasurable way enhances learning.  But it doesn't need to be a five paragraph essay (unless they want to).  It can be a poster, sketch,discussion, or playing "stump Dad" at the dinner table.  Just engage and think.  It definitely does not have to look like school.

I would teach word roots but skip Latin.  

I would continue playing logic games, board games and, eventually, teach formal logic.  I want them to be wise adults with highly sensitive BS detectors.

I would remind them often that this is their education.  I can be present, facilitate, explain, provide appropriate books and tools, and encourage them, but I can't make them learn.  If, at the end of the day, they're not happy with how their education is turning out, mention it to me (we might be able to tweak some things), but it's just as important for them to take a long look in the mirror.  Learning is not a spectator sport.  (Having this talk with older DD earlier this fall was absolutely transforming for our homeschool relationship.)

And what the previous post had to do with this thread:  Despite my awesome intentions, I tend to give more weight to what Others think ON THIS FORUM than I give to my own heart.  Not intentionally, but I am distracted by the good and happy noise of options and opinions, and the voices get so loud (of experts, of books, of forums) that I can't even hear my own heart anymore.

Sad, sad, sad. :(

And what the previous post had to do with this thread: Despite my awesome intentions, I tend to give more weight to what Others think ON THIS FORUM than I give to my own heart. Not intentionally, but I am distracted by the good and happy noise of options and opinions, and the voices get so loud (of experts, of books, of forums) that I can't even hear my own heart anymore.

Sad, sad, sad. :(

I am very guilty of this as well.

I love your previous post about your dream homeschool. I am in a reboot phase, I need to follow your lead and seperate myself from the thought of what everyone else thinks/is doing. I only have a few more days to at least have some direction in mind.

Thank you for bringing this up. I hope it helps you and your kiddos find the joy in homeschooling.

Y'all are very wise :)

Have you ever sat down with yourself and dug really deep and thought:  if there were no outside pressure or commentary, no forums, no state standards, no standardized tests (SATs), no experts... if there was NONE of that, what would your homeschool look like?  For the first few years of our homeschooling I was in constant conflict with what I believed was best and what the homeschool-charter believed was necessary.  LOTS of pressure. I couldn't have implemented what I really wanted, even if I knew exactly what it was.  (We're no longer with the charter.) So, anyway, this afternoon I was thinking about this thread and the charter and thinking most of all what feels right for our homeschool.  This is what I came up with:

I would keep it very simple, very lean, very efficient.  I don't want required schoolwork to take more than a couple of hours a day.

I would make sure both girls were reading and writing well.  

I would make sure we had plenty of time for the stuff they love (karate, theater, dance, voice, cooking, drawing, crafting, minecraft).  

We'd keep plugging away at math, a little each day, so that they knew enough to be productive adults and transition into college without a problem (neither kid puffy-heart-loves math or STEM).  

I would start reading aloud to them again.  

I'd be flexible about output in the content areas.  I think some output matters because engaging with the material in a pleasurable way enhances learning.  But it doesn't need to be a five paragraph essay (unless they want to).  It can be a poster, sketch,discussion, or playing "stump Dad" at the dinner table.  Just engage and think.  It definitely does not have to look like school.

I would teach word roots but skip Latin.  

I would continue playing logic games, board games and, eventually, teach formal logic.  I want them to be wise adults with highly sensitive BS detectors.

I would remind them often that this is their education.  I can be present, facilitate, explain, provide appropriate books and tools, and encourage them, but I can't make them learn.  If, at the end of the day, they're not happy with how their education is turning out, mention it to me (we might be able to tweak some things), but it's just as important for them to take a long look in the mirror.  Learning is not a spectator sport.  (Having this talk with older DD earlier this fall was absolutely transforming for our homeschool relationship.)

Absolutely.  That's some fodder for my insomnia ridden brain tonight. :)  I have a feeling we would be a LOT more unschooly and anarchist. Feeding my inner teen, you'd say. ;)

...I am distracted by the good and happy noise of options and opinions, and the voices get so loud (of experts, of books, of forums) that I can't even hear my own heart anymore.

Sad, sad, sad.

When I leave, this is why. I am in a leaving place right now. I am very interested in education. Theory. Practical applications. Everything. I came to these boards to learn more about education in general and homeschooling in particular, but at a certain point (let's call it saturation, LOL), I always realize I am too interested...to the point of distraction.

In my heart of hearts, I tend toward very out of the box and, truthfully, I am more creative and true to myself when I stop reading here. It's not a problem of influence so much as distraction, just as you said. Right now, halfway through my oldest's 6th grade year, my favorite year of my entire education, I am really feeling the need to be alone with the kids in my own headspace. When my brain is saturated with the thoughts of others, there is less time and headspace for my own thoughts.

I have learned so much here. These boards have been invaluable to me and will continue to be a source of support and information, but it is extremely beneficial for me to break periodically.

You're not alone. I rarely read homeschooling blogs, & while I do read here now & again I'm not a daily check-inner {is that a word?} I refuse to put myself in positions that will leave me flattened or overwhelmed. We've been homeschooling for such a long time that I only tend to surface when I need specific helps for something or I'm just roaming looking for information. Yep, it's easy to get overwhelmed with TOO much information without doubt.

When I leave, this is why. I am in a leaving place right now. I am very interested in education. Theory. Practical applications. Everything. I came to these boards to learn more about education in general and homeschooling in particular, but at a certain point (let's call it saturation, LOL), I always realize I am too interested...to the point of distraction.

In my heart of hearts, I tend toward very out of the box and, truthfully, I am more creative and true to myself when I stop reading here. It's not a problem of influence so much as distraction, just as you said. Right now, halfway through my oldest's 6th grade year, my favorite year of my entire education, I am really feeling the need to be alone with the kids in my own headspace. When my brain is saturated with the thoughts of others, there is less time and headspace for my own thoughts.

I have learned so much here. These boards have been invaluable to me and will continue to be a source of support and information, but it is extremely beneficial for me to break periodically.

I was just wondering about you AVA, glad to hear you are well.

I take breaks as well.

I come here for inspiration and ideas, creativity is not my strong suit, so I need to borrow what I can. 

I like to post here at times and I just love that I can generally find anything I want. I'm loving where we are at actually, I would say it is our best year as well because I've been able to figure out all of us a little more and have been more true to that. Sometimes I want to share because I do feel so excited about it but then it feels like bragging and I just cannot even express it well. The thing is though even when we are able to share what is working it is only of limited usefulness, just like I take bits and pieces from others. I look to post from 8FilltheHeart for thoughts on skill progression and designing studies, I read Coralleno and JennW for inspiring me out of the box and I love regentrude's down to earth, no nonsense and practicality. There are tons of others as well. I have many, many posts on here thinking out things related to philosophy and practicalities, it helps me to get it out here since I don't have anyone IRL to talk to about hs'ing. Even if I just end up talking to myself in threads it is helpful.

Sometimes reading on here it can seem that nothing is ever enough, especially in the younger generation of homeschool moms it just seems that there is more and more and more. Fwiw I had a moment of jealousy and inadequacy lately with another hs mom. When I really forced myself to examine it I realized that I could be happy for them and their successes without it being a reflection on me and our school. She is much more of a hands-on mom and thinks of these awesome projects all on her own, I rarely do these, let alone invent them myself. The thing is however that my son hates such things and my daughter would generally rather be off on her own doing her own thing. I don't have to think of everything, that is not my strength and that is ok. I can borrow ideas when I need them from people like her and I can share my strengths as well.

When I read your list shinyhappypeople I resonate with a lot of it, not all of course because we all have our own lists, but that type of thinking is what spurred me on planning this year. I did start reading aloud more again, much more fervently. It just works so well for ds and I enjoy it. I'm still figuring out the dd's, they are young, I've got time.

So, start from what you want to do and build around that. What do you have that is working? What do you want to add and what do you want to drop?

I think it depends on why you're using the curriculum/educational  philosophy you're using.  If you're doing it because you consciously considered your options, chose what you did for specific reasons unique to your family and your specific goals, then other peoples' choices won't lure you. You already have a fairly good sense that those different choices weren't a good fit for you.  If you're choosing things more randomly or less consciously  then you're probably at higher risk for being lured to what someone else is using, just because they're using it or because they can articulate why it's a good fit for them.

It depends on why you're here at the boards too.  If you're here because you're looking for the "right way" to homeschool then you'll be disappointed because that's so dependent on family dynamics, inherent abilities, lifestyle choices, parenting philosophy, individual personalities, individual goals, and a dozen other things, so nothing will work the same way for 2 homeschooling families.  There isn't a template that fits everyone which can be very jarring for new homeschoolers who only have an institutionalized-one-size-fits-all background in education.  They need to know that every homeschool is very different from every other homeschool, even two families using the exact same materials with closely matching philosophies.

When you come here, it may be more useful to do it after you've articulated to yourself what you're looking for so you can better choose forums and threads that best suit your current needs. People need different things at different times. Those needs can include, but are not limited to:

Educational Goals

1. Long term goals

2. Mid term goals

3. Short term goals

Family Dynamics

4. Family/personality dynamics issues related to academics (also how to keep little ones busy during school time)

5. Family/personality dynamics issues not related to academics

6. Dealing with extended relatives

Academics/Enrichment Activities

7. Choosing which academic subjects/enrichment activities to teach and which to avoid

8. Choosing an educational philosophy for an academic subject/enrichment activities

9. Choosing curriculum and materials for an academic subject/enrichment activities

10. Learning teaching techniques for an academic subject/enrichment activities

11. Assessing a child's progress in or readiness for an academic subject/enrichment activities

12. Choosing assignments and projects for an academic subject/enrichment activities

13. Documenting a child's completion of an academic subject/enrichment activities

14. Considering different alternative or outsourced subject/enrichment activity options

Learning Household Management Skills

14. Learning Household Management Skills (meal planning, establishing routines, budgeting, doing chores efficiently and effectively)

15. Teaching children household management skills (meal planning, establishing routines, budgeting, doing chores efficiently and effectively)

Socializing with Other Homeschoolers

16. Commiserating and sympathizing

17. Getting advice

18. Offering advice

19. Sharing successes and failures

20. Humor

21. Inspiration

Transitioning a Child Out of Homeschooling

22. College application

23. Military

24. brick and mortar schools

25. online schools

26. afterschooling

27. job training

28. apprenticeships/internships

29. scholarships

30. starting businesses/entering the workforce

Special Circumstances

31. Child w/special needs

32. Child or parent with chronic illness

33. Homeschooling through a crisis

34. Working parent(s) homeschooling

35. homeschooling on a severely limited budget

Other

Is there something in particular we can help you with?

:hurray: I can't give you enough likes for this post. Thank you for taking the time and effort to put this wisdom in writing.

I don't want to minimize the turmoil a board member can feel working their way through various topics, especially curriculum choices. That turmoil can turn to sheer stress and panic especially if your budget is tight (as many of ours is) and experimentation seems too costly.

While I think that the advice given in previous posts about knowing what to look for and why you are looking is solid, there are times when it's not plausible for the very reason Homeschool Mom in AZ wrote above:

"People need different things as different times."

Sometimes your need may be so radically different and yet you have no idea that there are other possibilities out there, until something someone says here sparks further exploration.

Asking specific questions can reduce the white noise. The first couple of years I was here, I also printed out threads on topics that required a choice from me and went through the responses with a pen, writing down my research and questions along the way. This helped reduce the stress and clarify my direction.

One thing that helps me a little bit when I'm working my way through topic discussions and questioning how I feel about those options or opinions is to write a response. I think better when I write my way through it. 

Sometimes I'll add that response. A lot of the times I don't. I leave the thread and I don't leave my thoughts there. But just the act of making a reply forces me to face the way I feel about things, and it helps me to define my personal philosophy on matters. I used to get very overwhelmed by the number of wise, thoughtful voices, all more articulate and clear than my own little muddled mind. Writing out things helps me to focus on why I honed in on a particular thread and on what I want to get out of it.

Absolutely, too much info can be overwhelming! Something I try to remember is that no one is doing everything. If someone is doing something that I'm not, then there's something that we do that they're not--even if I can't see what that is. That doesn't make it right or wrong--just different. So instead of feeling I must "add" something to my day, I might save those great ideas for the next time I'm school/curriculum planning. Then I have the opportunity to re-evaluate, think through my priorities, and decide whether I want to try that. It's just like a closet--unless you want everything squeezed so tightly that your favorite clothes get wrinkled and are hard to get out--you're going to have to make choices. Something in, something needs to go. If you don't have something you're willing to get rid of...you probably don't have room to add anything either.

Sometimes people make the mistake of thinking that "margin" in their day is disposable time. Then they fill it up and then life feels overwhelming. Just like good margins make a book more readable (and poor margins make a book frustrating!), good margins in our lives are important too. "Blank" space, to just "be." 

Sometimes a technology break for a week can be very refreshing!

I

got my answers about curriculum, including the sad but true fact that I

will NOT find a fun, vibrant online community of people using my

favourite phonics program and that the purpose of the internet is not to

connect people who share obscure interests, but as a vehicle to market

products.

SWB has come a long way since I first read her in '98 and has earned my

loyalty. Her products are an excellent value for the $ and are usually

available used at a price that is affordable.

I have enjoyed the chat board, but it has also increased my feelings of

isolation as the only 50+ homeschooler with a minor child on the thread,

the only enthusiastic Ball-Stick-Bird user on the thread, the only

non-church goer on the thread, etc.

I planned on taking a break for the holidays, but the internet changed

and I changed. I will not be logging in daily or asking for advice about

ds's tantrums or what I should make for dinner, but that was never the

purpose of the internet in the first place.

I got the info I needed, met some interesting people, and was exposed to

some fresh perspectives--such as just not stressing over the stupid

worksheets that you don't really need for Saxon 1, and that Math Mammoth

exists and is only a click away if chasing after liquid laundry starch

and $5 worth of pennies in rolls becomes more unpleasant than fun.

I don't think I'll ever look at cupcakes or kilts the same way either.

I am over 50 and have two sons who have recently turned 9 so you are not the only one Iron Ethel!

There are certainly times when I spend too much time reading threads on this board but it has been so very useful for researching new curricula that I would be absolutely lost without it.  Actually, just recently the search function was not working properly for me and I was lost because I was trying to search out more info on how best to use TOG, which is a great example.  I have known I wanted to use it since my sons were in 1st grade but I decided to use SOTW for the 1-4 years.  We used SOTW for 1-3 and I had already purchased it for 4th when I saw that the activity guide for 4th had the outlining in it and no coloring pages (my sons love to do the coloring pages while I read aloud to them).  After researching the outlining in SOTW 4 and seeing that most people here felt it was really intended for the older crowd and not a 4th grader, I decided maybe I should go ahead and move to TOG now rather than after 4th, since I knew I was going to do it anyway.

I came to the board and searched about TOG and read pages and pages of how people used it and how people failed/succeeded at it.  I cut and pasted the successful posts into a word doc to reread.  After reading SOOOOO many posts on how people made it work for them, I felt that I was seeing some of the same methods again and again.  I purchased TOG Year 4 and went to work (we start 4th grade in January).  Little by little I was able to break year 4 TOG down into a usable form for us, based on what I had read on this forum.  I am now pretty much at the point where I can use it open-and-go for the first 9 weeks and then I will have to print, plan and organize again.  I thought after 9 weeks I might have some changes to how I am doing it this time so I stopped after one unit. 

I am excited to start using TOG now and confident it will work nicely for us.  I would have found it a lot more challenging to accomplish if I had not been able to read other peoples' experiences first.  I am so thankful for this board.  I would feel like my hands are tied behind my back if it was not here.

That being said, there are certainly times when I have tried different curricula that didn't work for us because of something I had read here.  But I have also found most of the curricula that we use because of what I have read here too.