Menu

Wow -- there are people I don't even recognize here who have 4 and 5 rep squares!

Well, congratulations! It is lovely. :D

Thank you! I might add that I do aspire to attain as many seafoam colored parallelograms as other distinguished posters on this board....Huh? That was a brief moment of clarity in my otherwise muddled day. I need more caffeine.

Move along folks...nothing to see here...:auto:

Some of these people have only 200 or so posts. How does that happen?

Just curious! I must be missing some pretty good posts.

You got me thinking...and it's early here for that!;) So I looked at the collective rep for the first page posters and they are worth a grand total of 197 points...that's 3 points shy of 2 squares.

Since I have been repped by all but 2 of those ladies for various posts since I joined the forum...well, then I guess they are responsible for 2 of my squares.....possibly more! Since we can only see our last 5 reps I can't tell you for sure.

I think it may not be a question of how *many* posts someone has as just *who* reps them for their post...KWIM? I have also received enough reps for ONE post to earn 100 points and a green rep block. I have also had one thread starter/original poster rep me twice for the same post & pm me because it was so beneficial to them.

So I guess maybe it's not quantity but quality (& what the repper is worth!).:)

Some of these people have only 200 or so posts. How does that happen?

Just curious! I must be missing some pretty good posts.

"Hello, friends. I'm your Vitameatavegamin girl. Are you tired, rundown, listless? Do you poop out at parties? Are you unpopular? The answer to all your problems is in this little bottle: Vitameatavegamin. Vitameatavegamin, contains vitamins, meat, vegetables, and minerals. Yes, with Vitameatavegamin, you can spoon your way to health. All you do is take a tablespoon after every meal (Lucy samples product). It's so tasty too. Just like candy. So why don't you join the thousands of happy peppy people and get a great big bottle of Vitameatavegamin tomorrow. That's Vita..Meta..Vegamin."

vita-label_s.jpg

"Hello, friends. I'm your Vitameatavegamin girl. Are you tired, rundown, listless? Do you poop out at parties? Are you unpopular? The answer to all your problems is in this little bottle: Vitameatavegamin. Vitameatavegamin, contains vitamins, meat, vegetables, and minerals. Yes, with Vitameatavegamin, you can spoon your way to health. All you do is take a tablespoon after every meal (Lucy samples product). It's so tasty too. Just like candy. So why don't you join the thousands of happy peppy people and get a great big bottle of Vitameatavegamin tomorrow. That's Vita..Meta..Vegamin."

vita-label_s.jpg

:lol:

They could have picked up the rep from the rep'ing threads that are solely an "I'll rep you if you rep me" thread. They aren't based on anything, just attempt to gather more rep points. Unfortunately, they made the validity of rep points moot since you can't tell why someone was rep'ed.

They could have picked up the rep from the rep'ing threads that are solely an "I'll rep you if you rep me" thread. They aren't based on anything, just attempt to gather more rep points. Unfortunately, they made the validity of rep points moot since you can't tell why someone was rep'ed.

I feel they are more about popularity the majority of the time. And someone who has 2-3000 posts could be a popular chatterer and not all that helpful. I worry that someone will get rep for being friendly and then stiff someone on the for sale boards and no on e will be the wiser.

I feel they are more about popularity the majority of the time. And someone who has 2-3000 posts could be a popular chatterer and not all that helpful. I worry that someone will get rep for being friendly and then stiff someone on the for sale boards and no on e will be the wiser.
Yes. I fail to see how being repped fast and furious for stating a bold opinion in a political or controversial thread is an indicator or how trustworthy someone will be on the sale boards, or, for that matter, on the curriculum boards.

Really? I think for the most part most of my posts are either helpful or trying to be, and thoughtful. Many may not agree with me, but I don't just chat. I have sold a few things on the board, and stiffed no one. It's very easy to post about a seller who is not honest. And I have faith in Susan and the Mods to quickly remove a seller who is truly cheating others.

Hmm, to whom might you be referring? ;):D I wonder who could possibly be that chatty.:confused:;)

Really? I think for the most part most of my posts are either helpful or trying to be, and thoughtful. Many may not agree with me, but I don't just chat.
That's why I'm always out of rep for you. :)

Sorry for stirring things up. :001_huh: The math just didn't seem to make sense to me, and now I know why -- deleted posts don't equal deleted rep.

I was juts surprised that there were so many people I didn't recognize who had so many rep points. I wondered what I was missing. I feel like I am on here a lot. ;)

Sorry for stirring things up. :001_huh: The math just didn't seem to make sense to me, and now I know why -- deleted posts don't equal deleted rep.

I was juts surprised that there were so many people I didn't recognize who had so many rep points. I wondered what I was missing. I feel like I am on here a lot. ;)

From my post count it's obvious I spend way too much time on the boards, and I looked over the first two pages of top rep. I know all the names/faces there. I do read a lot of threads on all the boards.

Really? I think for the most part most of my posts are either helpful or trying to be, and thoughtful. Many may not agree with me, but I don't just chat. I have sold a few things on the board, and stiffed no one. It's very easy to post about a seller who is not honest. And I have faith in Susan and the Mods to quickly remove a seller who is truly cheating others.

:iagree: Jenny is a very thoughtful and helpful poster. And the same is true (in my opinion) of all the other people here who have thousands of posts. :001_smile:

I guess it depends on what you mean by helpful. I rep for helpful posts and sale posts. I have bought/sold about 5 things on this board, not a true indicator of my rep for sure. I also know that I come to this board to decompose after a hard day of school or life and if someone makes me laugh out loud to brighten my day I will rep them. That is helpful to me.

I have a question about rep squares. (Sorry, I really did read the sticky about it, it just didn't answer my particular question!) From what I understand, because I don't have 50 posts yet, if I give someone a positive rep, it won't really count. I had a great experience buying from someone on the Sale/Swap Board, and I want to give them a good review...should I do it now, or wait until I've posted 50 times?

Any help would be appreciated! :001_smile:

You got me thinking...and it's early here for that!;) So I looked at the collective rep for the first page posters and they are worth a grand total of 197 points...that's 3 points shy of 2 squares.

Since I have been repped by all but 2 of those ladies for various posts since I joined the forum...well, then I guess they are responsible for 2 of my squares.....possibly more! Since we can only see our last 5 reps I can't tell you for sure.

I think it may not be a question of how *many* posts someone has as just *who* reps them for their post...KWIM? I have also received enough reps for ONE post to earn 100 points and a green rep block. I have also had one thread starter/original poster rep me twice for the same post & pm me because it was so beneficial to them.

So I guess maybe it's not quantity but quality (& what the repper is worth!).:)

Okay I tried to find this wonderful wisdom by searching your name and got a bunch of general threads. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I want your amazing rep builder thread! Maybe I can benefit too. Care to share?

I have a question about rep squares. (Sorry, I really did read the sticky about it, it just didn't answer my particular question!) From what I understand, because I don't have 50 posts yet, if I give someone a positive rep, it won't really count. I had a great experience buying from someone on the Sale/Swap Board, and I want to give them a good review...should I do it now, or wait until I've posted 50 times?

Any help would be appreciated! :001_smile:

If you rep them now, it will show up as good rep for them after you have earned yours. So doing it now is fine, and easier for you to remember, plus they will probably rep you back as a good buyer. Make sense?

If you rep them now, it will show up as good rep for them after you have earned yours. So doing it now is fine, and easier for you to remember, plus they will probably rep you back as a good buyer. Make sense?

Have you seen that happen? Once someone repped me before they had 50 posts, but once they hit fifty, I didn't get a point for it. I would think it really can't be retroactive that way, because otherwise, people I repped when I was only worth 1 point would keep getting more and more points as my value increased.

But I always tell new posters to rep away, even if there's no point value to it, because everyone loves getting a nice thought sent their way. Just remember to leave a message because neutral rep won't show as red or green, so the person won't automatically know it was positive. Also, always type your name, because otherwise it's anonymous. :D

Okay I tried to find this wonderful wisdom by searching your name and got a bunch of general threads. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I want your amazing rep builder thread! Maybe I can benefit too. Care to share?

I guess maybe what is beneficial to one is subjective? KWIM? My response to a thread may not resonate with you but it does with someone else.:) I've been very surprised by what I've received rep for. I applaude you for wading through all of my posts!

:iagree: And sometimes I do just chat, but mostly I try to be helpful and encouraging. I didn't think that the two were mutually exclusive, did you? ;)

Yes, I have seen neutral rep turn green in my own box.

I guess maybe what is beneficial to one is subjective? KWIM? My response to a thread may not resonate with you but it does with someone else.:) I've been very surprised by what I've received rep for. I applaude you for wading through all of my posts!

True!:) And I thought of that after I asked. I am on the general area as of late because I am all done planning for the next three years (for now), so it would probably just confuse me anyway.:lol: I have nothing else to do while b-feeding, which is why I am still around. :)

Well I guess I'll just stick with my one box and 34 reps thank you very much. I'm not sure how it happens with some of these other people. It's not happening to me that's for sure.

Phlox

LOL I agree! I have given away my whole curriculum plan for the year and not been repped for it. I guess it was not helpful. :lol: That may be true, as I am just starting out and don't have any great curriculum/planning wisdom yet. I am finding what I planned for 1st grade is better for maybe.... 4th. I am cutting out a lot and doing some subbing.

I want to apologize if my posts here seem rude. Nothing wrong with chatting. I just feel like rep needs to be used for specific things because it it really isn't acheiving its original purpose.

It is not a problem unique to this forum. I am on a gaming board and the guy on there with the most rep is rude, using disguised curse terms constantly. I have no idea how he got his rep so high. I have a feeling he has two identities on the board and is repping himself.

I just feel like rep needs to be used for specific things because it it really isn't acheiving its original purpose.

No, it's certainly not achieving its original purpose. It's developed a life of its own now, though, and I can't see that changing.

It original purpose never had a chance. As soon it was started and it went beyond the sale/swap board, there's no way people are just going to rep the "worthy" posts. Its point was moot to begin with. So now its just a game, albeit a fun one. :)

I just took a gander at all the folks who have 4-5 squares and I recognized all of them. Literally without exception, every name there was familiar. To me this is a clear indicator of the fact that I have spent (continue to spend?) too much of my life here discussing everything from twisted knickers to tainted food, not to mention a little homeschooling here and there :).

As it happens, I also sent some rep to Mindy today for an older post that caught my eye, and I'm assuming that it was my rep that bumped her to NINE. (Good heavens, I'll be forever the bridesmaid and never the bride ;).) I'm not so good at keeping track, but I would imagine that at some time or other, I've repped most of the folks on that 4-5 list and any number of the people below and above, with the exception of those who really don't ever post. Kinda hard to rep a non-post, right? I make a habit of letting people know that I appreciate what they've said, whether for humor, or content, or honesty, because I enjoy the opportunity to let someone know that they've affected my life in a meaningful way. I also know how much *I* appreciate positive feedback, so there's that. While some may view the rep system as nothing more than a popularity contest, I have always tried to honor it for what it is - a method of acknowledging the contributions of others. That doesn't mean they've posted something obviously profound. It might have been a one line reply that made me laugh out loud, or a single link to a useful resource. What I'm getting at is that maybe you just aren't seeing something as a "pretty good post" in cases where others are.

I know I wish I had a dollar for all the times we've hashed out the rep topic here. I could forget working altogether and spend the rest of my days just increasing my post size and shooting up rep. :lol:

I know I wish I had a dollar for all the times we've hashed out the rep topic here. I could forget working altogether and spend the rest of my days just increasing my post size and shooting up rep. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:Thanks, Doran, I really needed a laugh today. :001_smile:

"shooting up rep":lol::lol::lol:

Well I guess I'll just stick with my one box and 34 reps thank you very much. I'm not sure how it happens with some of these other people. It's not happening to me that's for sure.

Phlox

I know what you mean, I only have 40 points and one box. I think the whole system should just be done away with (dodging tomatos) I see no point in it if you really can't be sure if the person got the points because of some great advice they gave or just from a silly chat thread. The advice from someone with 5 squares may not be as useful to me as someone with only 1 square so what's the point. You really just need to decide for yourself from your own perspective what advice will work for you and what will not. No amount of squares is going to decide that for anybody. Just because someone has a ton of rep points, in my opinion, doesn't make there advice above someone elses. There I've said my peace.

I make a habit of letting people know that I appreciate what they've said, whether for humor, or content, or honesty, because I enjoy the opportunity to let someone know that they've affected my life in a meaningful way. I also know how much *I* appreciate positive feedback, so there's that. While some may view the rep system as nothing more than a popularity contest, I have always tried to honor it for what it is - a method of acknowledging the contributions of others.

:)That is how I use it, :)Thank you for helping me to see the positives!!:) So glad I kept reading this thread and got to this post. It is so profound!:lol:

I also know that I come to this board to decompose after a hard day of school or life and if someone makes me laugh out loud to brighten my day I will rep them. That is helpful to me.

Ah, you guys bring a smile to my face, clarity to my homeschooling and wisdom to help me get through my day as a mom. For this, I am thankful.

And by the way, anyone notice that I, too, am sporting something new????

This thread makes me think of the book, "You Are Special" by Max Lucado. Has anyone read that? It talks about the little wooden people (carved by the woodworker, Eli) giving each other golden star stickers and gray dot stickers. The pretty ones and talented ones get stars, while the ones with chipped paint or rough wood get dots.

I'm not trying to annoy anyone, really! I like the positive rep and comments! For some reason this book just popped into my head as being LOOSELY similar to the rep system!

Chelle

This thread makes me think of the book, "You Are Special" by Max Lucado. Has anyone read that? It talks about the little wooden people (carved by the woodworker, Eli) giving each other golden star stickers and gray dot stickers. The pretty ones and talented ones get stars, while the ones with chipped paint or rough wood get dots.

I'm not trying to annoy anyone, really! I like the positive rep and comments! For some reason this book just popped into my head as being LOOSELY similar to the rep system!

Chelle

I've made the exact same comparison in the past.