Menu

Cutting up a Butternut Squash

JessReplanted

I find a vegetable peeler gets the skin off easily.  Then a good sharp knife to cut the squash itself.  My "flatter" measuring Tablespoon does the trick with removing seeds.  By "flatter", I mean one that does not have a deeper curve or "bowl"  but more spread.  The rim is thin and somewhat sharp and lends itself to scraping the insides of the squash very cleanly.

~Melissa

I see people on Food Network peel one with a vegetable peeler but when I try it, my peeler just slips and doesn't do a thing. I have a pretty good peeler so it really bugs me that I have to cut it into fourths and then use a knife to peel it. 

My knives work well- that's the fastest way I have found to dice one. 

How timely! I was just discussing this today with some other moms. I am usually in the cut off the ends, cut in half and roast camp. They are such a pain to cube!

Anyway, in the discussion today one of the moms (whose hubby is an ER doctor) was telling us that when her hubby was on call last month a lady was brought in...she lost an EYE because she apparently tried to cut up butternut squash the wrong way. Awful:(

I use those cheesy little pumpkin carving knives for all winter squash.  They work like a charm.  This was discovered only after my dh would not let me "borrow" the chainsaw.

My partner uses a drill with a saw blade attached to carve pumpkins, to the delight of all children in the vicinity.

How timely! I was just discussing this today with some other moms. I am usually in the cut off the ends, cut in half and roast camp. They are such a pain to cube!

Anyway, in the discussion today one of the moms (whose hubby is an ER doctor) was telling us that when her hubby was on call last month a lady was brought in...she lost an EYE because she apparently tried to cut up butternut squash the wrong way. Awful:(

How horrible!!

...she lost an EYE because she apparently tried to cut up butternut squash the wrong way. Awful:(

And this is why if I ABSOLUTELY need it cubed, I just buy it pre-cubed. It's fresh squash during squash season and I will buy it frozen if I'm seriously craving something that needs cubed squash.

But I am firmly in the Stab and Throw camp: Stab it a couple of times, throw it in the oven, keep both of your eyes and all of your digits.

I think I will try this next time. Thanks!

I just shared the microwave tip with my mom over Thanksgiving.  She couldn't believe how much easier that made it.  We'll never go back to brute force!

I think I'll cook one up today due to this thread.  We still have two left from our garden.

I have an actual jigsaw to cut up squash.  Yes, that thing you would buy dh to saw things in the garage.  One of those.  Works like a charm for cutting squash.  Everyone in the house knows it's mine.  It comes out, cuts the squash, gets washed and goes back in the cabinet.  It has never seen the inside of the garage.  It's mine.  Don't touch it!

Sharp knife and a good peeler (I have the Oxo one)---even dd14 can cut up butternut squash :)

I cut off the ends, cut it in half vertically right above the bulbous part, and stand each half on end to slice downward. I peel each quarter separately as it's easier to hold that way!

This is the kind of thing that would happen to me. I tried the sharp knife route and it just led to injuries from slippage. At least when the duller knife slipped, I didn't get cut! I also COULD NOT STAND the papery coating that peeling and slicing butternut squash left all over my hands *shudder* Thankfully, I'm the only one in the family who liked butternut, so I just let it go. 

Now when I have to cook squash, I cut it in half and cook it in the oven, then scoop it. I'm still the only one here who has any kind of affinity for winter squash, though. I have a big acorn squash and a small butternut on my shelf right now. I think I may roast one for lunch today!