Menu

For those waiting for PSAT Scores, you may be able to get your scores online

After perusing CC, I saw this post where someone says you can figure out your scores without the access code.  I have no way to verify if they are correct or not but thought some might want to try and figure it out while they wait for the mailman.

Here's the post I read:

So to recap what I have said in simpler terms, the best way I figured out to get the 2014 PSAT scores without an access code is as follows:
NOTE: Might not work if you don't have a collegequickstart account with 2013 scores in it.

1. Go to https://quickstart.collegeboard.org/posweb/login.jsp and sign in.
2. Go to https://quickstart.collegeboard.org/posweb/questionInfoNewAction.do?testYear=2014&skillCd=CR&questionNbr=1 This page will show you the first question and will say at the top if you got it right or wrong.
Change the '1' at the end of the URL to '2' and repeat, until you have gone through all the CR questions. Count how many you got wrong and omitted. There are 48 total.
3. Repeat steps 2-3 but with https://quickstart.collegeboard.org/posweb/questionInfoNewAction.do?testYear=2014&skillCd=M&questionNbr=1 for math and https://quickstart.collegeboard.org/posweb/questionInfoNewAction.do?testYear=2014&skillCd=W&questionNbr=1 for writing. There are 38 math questions and 39 writing ones.
4. Use the equation 48-(1.25*[number incorrect])-[number omitted] to get your critical reading raw score. Round up from .5.
5. Use the equation 38-(1.25*[number of MC questions incorrect])-[number omitted]-[number of bubble in questions incorrect] to get your math raw score. Round up from .5.
6. Use the equation 39-(1.25*[number incorrect])-[number omitted] to get your writing raw score. Round up from .5.
7. Use the table on page 5 of https://web.archive.org/web/20141204164848/https://www.collegeboard.org/pdf/psat/understanding-psat-nmsqt-scores-guide_0.pdf to convert your raw scores into actual scores.

Here's the link to the original thread if anyone is interested.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/sat-preparation/1695699-official-psat-thread-2014-us-p133.html

Well that was amusing.  Kudos to whomever figured it out first.

Scores were actually a bit lower than on the SAT for DS #1 on all sections.  And as I suspected, not high enough to come near the NMS cutoffs for CA.  There is such a high cut off score that it is in the 99+% range, vs the lower 99% that some other states have.  

On one hand I do understand the desire to recognize students who are doing well in all states, with the resources they have available to them.  On the other hand, I look at my kid and think that if he were just a couple states away it would be different.  Not to mention the fact that we live in a huge and very diverse state.  What is available in Silicon Valley is very different from what is on offer in Imperial Valley.  And that is before you bring family dynamics in at all.

Oh well.  I'll take the good SAT scores and be content with that.  

Thanks for the diversion anyway.  

Boo. It doesn't work for me because this was his first year taking it so we don't have any 2013 scores.  I'll have to wait. =(

I couldn't get it to work for DS #2 either.  This is his second year taking the test, but I think he must have only been 13 when I registered him for last year's test.  I can't get the 2013 scores to come up in his CB account, even with last year's access code in hand.  

Sigh.

If it isn't in the mail on Monday, I may need to see if the school has it for some reason.  I only have one more week here for errands before packers come and I really don't need scores getting trapped in a school we aren't near.

Boo. It doesn't work for me because this was his first year taking it so we don't have any 2013 scores.  I'll have to wait. =(

This was DS's first year taking it too and it worked for us.  The post mentioned that those who DID have previous scores may have problems but nothing about those who DIDN'T have scores.  Not sure why it didn't work for you but since it is a hack of sorts it's not surprising that it wouldn't work for everyone.

I couldn't get it to work for DS #2 either.  This is his second year taking the test, but I think he must have only been 13 when I registered him for last year's test.  I can't get the 2013 scores to come up in his CB account, even with last year's access code in hand.  

Sigh.

If it isn't in the mail on Monday, I may need to see if the school has it for some reason.  I only have one more week here for errands before packers come and I really don't need scores getting trapped in a school we aren't near.

Woo hoo.  I did a couple other things and came back and was able to pull up his score.  Not sure why it worked the second time.

So, dd#2 just ran her scores.  She wonders if those formulae are correct.  She says you're only supposed to get .25 points off for each incorrect answer, not 1.25 points?  Does seem a bit much to get more than a point off for an incorrect answer?

She looked it up a few places, and they all say just 1/4 point off... anyone know why the hack says 1.25?  Is there something she's missing?

So, dd#2 just ran her scores.  She wonders if those formulae are correct.  She says you're only supposed to get .25 points off for each incorrect answer, not 1.25 points?  Does seem a bit much to get more than a point off for an incorrect answer?

She looked it up a few places, and they all say just 1/4 point off... anyone know why the hack says 1.25?  Is there something she's missing?

Your final score is based on how many you got correct.  So for instance the first section there is 48 questions.  If you skip ten of them your raw score is 48 - 10 (that you didn't get correct because you skipped them) so you have 38 (correct), however if you answered them all and got ten wrong, you are still subtracting those ten from the total but then you have to take another .25 off for the wrong guess.  48 - 10 (because they were not correct and they are only interested in the number of correct answers) - .25*10 (for the quarter point deduction for each wrong answer).

Does that help at all?

Your final score is based on how many you got correct.  So for instance the first section there is 48 questions.  If you skip ten of them your raw score is 48 - 10 (that you didn't get correct because you skipped them) so you have 38 (correct), however if you answered them all and got ten wrong, you are still subtracting those ten from the total but then you have to take another .25 off for the wrong guess.  48 - 10 (because they were not correct and they are only interested in the number of correct answers) - .25*10 (for the quarter point deduction for each wrong answer).

Does that help at all?

Yes, she figured it out just after I posted that.  She wasn't taking into account that the formula in the hack was subtracting from total number of problems, not number of correct problems.

I just went through the steps (feeling mildly conflicted about doing so - anyone else? :o ) and am a very excited & relieved mom right about now. Wishing I'd bothered to do more PSAT prep with dd this year, though (she was realllllly stressed and busy during Sept/early October and I was trying to find a balance between over-prepping and being ready to go).

The result is, that if the qualifying numbers for our state are close to last year's, she'll be right on the bubble. :crying:

But, MAN, this gives me hope for her SAT!!!!!!!!! The section where she got the most errors is THE area she's spent some time on SINCE OCtober and has made tremendous improvements!!

Not telling dd - she'll wait until the paper envelope arrives in the mail in case the data is incorrect or my calculations are wacky (I'm not the math person in this household, that's for sure).

BUt - cautiously optomistic!!  Oh my gosh! I had fully prepared myself for a lower score than last year (based on the lack of prep and her high-stress, high-exhaustion at the time of the psat).

:cheers2:

I just went through the steps (feeling mildly conflicted about doing so - anyone else? :o ) and am a very excited & relieved mom right about now. Wishing I'd bothered to do more PSAT prep with dd this year, though (she was realllllly stressed and busy during Sept/early October and I was trying to find a balance between over-prepping and being ready to go).

The result is, that if the qualifying numbers for our state are close to last year's, she'll be right on the bubble. :crying:

But, MAN, this gives me hope for her SAT!!!!!!!!! The section where she got the most errors is THE area she's spent some time on SINCE OCtober and has made tremendous improvements!!

Not telling dd - she'll wait until the paper envelope arrives in the mail in case the data is incorrect or my calculations are wacky (I'm not the math person in this household, that's for sure).

BUt - cautiously optomistic!! Oh my gosh! I had fully prepared myself for a lower score than last year (based on the lack of prep and her high-stress, high-exhaustion at the time of the psat).

:cheers2:

No, I do not feel the least bit conflicted or sleazy! I hate the PSAT dance this time every year, though thank goodness this is our last year for it. It infuriates me that the schools and the CB act like this score belongs to the schools. I paid for it, my daughter took it. It is HER score, and that the CB has it within their power to release it, and then that the school does (did last year) and refused, drives me batty. I am a big fan of property rights, and this is an egregious violation in my book. So God bless the CC dude who figured out the hack; he is an avenging angel in my book. :)

No, I do not feel the least bit conflicted or sleazy! I hate the PSAT dance this time every year, though thank goodness this is our last year for it. It infuriates me that the schools and the CB act like this score belongs to the schools. I paid for it, my daughter took it. It is HER score, and that the CB has it within their power to release it, and then that the school does (did last year) and refused, drives me batty. I am a big fan of property rights, and this is an egregious violation in my book. So God bless the CC dude who figured out the hack; he is an avenging angel in my book. :)

In theory, I'm with you 100%! lol I just wish there'd been a way without signing into dd's account.

Then I did some more reading and saw that kids are getting their paper score at some schools now and felt less questionable about trying it.

I want the information the "front door" way - but yeah, when there've been a few SAT & ACT tests in the meantime who already have results back... It's incredibly frustrating. I was holding off signing dd up for the SAT today until she got the PSAT results back - now wishing we had signed her up since her score likely would be fine as a first round. :/ Now she's got to wait. So by delaying the college board missed out on me paying for one more test. ;) Silly CB.

Horton, for some reason the hack doesn't work for some accounts.  I have the same issue (although my daughter has 2013 scores.)  I'm a College Confidential "regular" and have been making myself crazy about this for the last day, lol.  I guess we will just wait!  My daughter's October SAT scores were delayed for a month as well, so it seems to be a theme we have going! :-)

Horton, for some reason the hack doesn't work for some accounts. I have the same issue (although my daughter has 2013 scores.) I'm a College Confidential "regular" and have been making myself crazy about this for the last day, lol. I guess we will just wait! My daughter's October SAT scores were delayed for a month as well, so it seems to be a theme we have going! :-)

When I did it it worked when I went to the link withou first logging in. For some reason logging in at the main CB page then trying the links (as in I'd just logged out of son #1's account) didn't take me to the same place.

It looks like it won't work for us.

If I am logged in to the account, I get the unavailable message.

If I click on the 2nd link directly, it brings me to the login page. After I log-in, I see links for the 2013 and 2012 scores. The only thing I see about 2014 is this

Not seeing this year's PSAT/NMSQT ?

Enter the access code from your official paper score report. If you haven't received your report yet, ask your counselor when it will be handed out at your school.

Oh well. It will show up at some time. When he was in public school, they didn't hand them out until January. Since he is now homeschooled, the public school wouldn't let him take the test there. They did give me the name of a nearby private school where homeschoolers had taken it in the past. So, he took the test there.

And again, cjzimmer, thank you for posting this.  I'm not sure I would have found it on CC, and you have saved me many days of angst.  This has been an awful weekend (first world problems and all that, but still problems), so it has been especially good not to have PSAT angst adding to my stress.

Raising a glass to you and the CC dude who hacked it:   :cheers2:

Btw dd's actual score report score was one point higher than the 'hack' score. She had missed one grid-in math problem, which is apparently not subject to the 0.25 point penalty, which raised her score from an xx.25 to an xx.50, thus rounding up.

Oh that would be awesome if that happens for dd's score!

I've found out that some in our state have gotten their scores in the mail- but no one we know yet. Amy is completely unfazed. I, on the other hand, am a jumbled bundle of nerves. LoLoL!