Menu

If you eat spaghetti squash...

JessReplanted

It should not be hard, but yet still come apart into strands.   I used to have them turn out kind of undercooked sometimes, so I started playing with the cooking time.  Essentially, for a 4-5lb spaghetti squash, I stab it once and throw it in a 400 degree oven for 90 minutes, then turn the oven off and  leave it in there for a while longer while I prep dinner.  I don't mess with cutting it in half anymore, because life is so much easier when you don't have to worry about cutting yourself over a squash.

That said, once it's cooked, it comes right apart, but you do have to still scrape out the seeds.  I have not yet overcooked one, and sometimes I forget they are in there... :blushing:

It is delicious, and i make it with tomato sauce and feta cheese and spices (after roasting the two halves and scooping out the strands), but it's definitely...watery, not mushy. It's never turned hard for me because I think if it is too hard, then the strings would not scrape off easily, IYKWIM? So I'd stick it back into the oven at that point.

I cook mine by cutting it in half. Scooping out the seeds. Putting it on a baking sheet. Putting some pats of butter in the cavities.  Sprinkling with salt and pepper. Cooking at 375 until it is fork tender - the fork pierces it easily. Voila.  

This week, I'm trying it with meatballs and spaghetti sauce.

I LOVE winter squash.  All of them. 

I cook mine by cutting it in half. Scooping out the seeds. Putting it on a baking sheet. Putting some pats of butter in the cavities.  Sprinkling with salt and pepper. Cooking at 375 until it is fork tender - the fork pierces it easily. Voila.  

This week, I'm trying it with meatballs and spaghetti sauce.

I LOVE winter squash.  All of them. 

I do this and bake for about an hour.  Use the fork test mentioned here, considering that "fork tender" would be about the resistance you'd want with potatoes for potato salad.

For a long time, my method was more involved, halving, then placing in a large covered casserole dish with 1 - 1-1/2" of water.  Baking on an open baking sheet is easier and even tastes a bit better.

The nice thing is that they also last forever on the counter; it's also nice that they are almost impossible to mess up. Cooking for a bit longer next time should do the trick.

Just because this quoted post mentioned winter squash:  I made roasted butternut squash earlier in the week. It was so incredibly sweet that my family couldn't believe I didn't add sugar.  Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, peel it (I did with a paring knife), and cut into pieces that are as uniform as possible (mine were about 1" square). Place into a ziplock, add about a T. of your choice of oil, and salt and pepper.  Spread on greased baking sheet, and bake at 350 - 400 until starting to get lightly browned, 20 to 40 minutes.The fork test works on these too. 

I think if you are comparing it to pasta noodles it is firmer than that. At first I didnt like it as a pasta substitute but then I got used to it. I did eat it with my favorite spaghetti sauce which I made with the grass fed hamburger. I think it was whole 30 approved.

It grows on you.

In the oven, I don't have trouble with it getting mushy.  I just pressure cooked two different ones, and both times they were overdone, so I need to adjust my cooking time and figure it out!

When prepared properly, it is definitely not soft like a pasta (like lewber just said above).  I like it a lot, but it is not pasta, so don't expect that, kwim?

A great sauce helps with the adjustment.  I'm a huge fan, but it needs to be appreciated for being spaghetti squash, not really equivalent to pasta in taste or texture.

I scoop and take out the seeds still raw, put it cut side down in a glass dish with a tiny bit of water, cover with wrap, and pop in the microwave!  It shouldn't be crunchy, so that's too firm.  It should also come out easily.  If I undercook it, I just pop it back in the microwave for another few minutes.

I don't cook almost anything in the microwave, just use it for defrosting and reheating mostly, but the spaghetti squash works great in there.

Just because this quoted post mentioned winter squash:  I made roasted butternut squash earlier in the week. It was so incredibly sweet that my family couldn't believe I didn't add sugar.  Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, peel it (I did with a paring knife), and cut into pieces that are as uniform as possible (mine were about 1" square). Place into a ziplock, add about a T. of your choice of oil, and salt and pepper.  Spread on greased baking sheet, and bake at 350 - 400 until starting to get lightly browned, 20 to 40 minutes.The fork test works on these too. 

Thank you for this! I've never actually been a fan of butternut squash, but trying to following Whole30 has made more adventurous with vegetables. I'm going to try this!

I think it may have been a little undercooked. If I cut the halves unevenly, the larger half is sometimes still a little crunchy at an hour. I bake them cut side down on parchment for an hour. You reminded me that I forgot to grab spaghetti squash at TJs yesterday. Darn!

Thank you for this! I've never actually been a fan of butternut squash, but trying to following Whole30 has made more adventurous with vegetables. I'm going to try this!

In trying to add more vegetables to our diet (sans cheese, butter, and other undesireable sauces), I've also roasted cauliflower like this (adding garlic and red pepper flakes), and okra (slice into 1/2" slices, tossed in oil, salt, pepper and cajun seasoning). I roast beets the same way, with oil, salt, pepper, but in a covered dish.  And can you eat potatoes on your diet?  Try roasting sliced sweet potatoes, or regular potatoes cut into wedges for healthy homemade fries.

If you are interested, I can share links with specific recipes.

I bought two at the farmer's market yesterday. I love them as a spaghetti substitute. I usually cut mine and bake cut side down, but I like the idea of roasting whole - sure would be a lot easier to cut after it was cooked!

I like mine a little on the firmer side. I feel like it holds up to sauces more like a noodle than when it's softer.

It should be something like the texture of a cucumber's inside flesh, or maybe like the slight crunch of sauerkraut. If its hard, it's undercooked.

I cook it whole on a baking sheet. If it is too hard when I cut it in half after cooking (much easier to cut after cooking then before!) , I just stick it back in the overn.

My favorite way to eat it is a Molly Katzken recipe. *You can google her name and spaghetti squash and I'm pretty sure you'll find it.)  I put in a can of diced tomatoes, some sauteed onions, garlic, and mushrooms, oregano & basil, and toss. That's nice as a vege side dish. If I want a more substantial dish, I add cottage or ricotta cheese, mozarella, and toss, then top with Parmesan. Cook at 350 until warmed through. Yum!!!

I also use it as a pasta substitute and serve with tomato sauce.

I do this and bake for about an hour.  Use the fork test mentioned here, considering that "fork tender" would be about the resistance you'd want with potatoes for potato salad.

For a long time, my method was more involved, halving, then placing in a large covered casserole dish with 1 - 1-1/2" of water.  Baking on an open baking sheet is easier and even tastes a bit better.

The nice thing is that they also last forever on the counter; it's also nice that they are almost impossible to mess up. Cooking for a bit longer next time should do the trick.

Funny.  I too used to have an involved process, now I just slice 'em open, pop out the seeds, season and bake. Done!