Menu

Total vanity Q

TwoEdgedSword

Was it really necessary to mention "aborted fetal cells," as though they are some sort of incredibly common ingredient in eye creams? :glare:

As far as I know, a company called NeoCutis is just about the only company accused of using them and there seems to be some debate about whether or not they ever used more than one small cell donation on one occasion. (Don't get me wrong --I think it's disgusting, but it's hardly common practice, so I'm wondering why you would even think to mention it.)

I trust Paula Begoun because she has done the research for me, so I am not as worried about parabens.  But obviously that's your choice.  http://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/myths/_/parabens-are-they-really-a-problem

I use her moisturizers and I don't believe you need a separate eye cream if the moisturizer has excellent ingredients and no fragrances.  I really liked DermaDoctor's Wrinkle Revenge eye balm/cream, too, but it has a few parabens at the end of the ingredients list. 

One line of products that the beauty lady at my local grocery store, of all places, turned me on to is Acure Organics and I think their stuff is really great!  VERY natural ingredients list and I was impressed with the eye cream and radical wrinkle complex even though it's mainly plant-based stuff in it.  LOL  (I'm kind of a nut for beauty products...)

For dark circles, my dd and I love Maybelline's Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer.  It has a little brush applicator that is nice and you twist the tube to push some of it into the brush and apply.  I put it *under* my foundation--using a shade lighter--on any dark and/or red areas and then dab the foundation on my whole face with a sponge, JUST dabbing to blend.  Works great and cheap, too!

http://www.target.com/p/maybelline-dream-lumi-touch-highlighting-concealer/-/A-13872718?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID

I'm sure you can do the research just as easily. I'm interested in eye cream while avoiding certain ingredients.

I have already posted the information I had. If you have already done the research, why not just share it with us?  :confused:

Otherwise, I guess I could suggest that you "do the research" and find your own eye cream.  ;)

I do admit, though, to being a bit puzzled about why you mentioned the specific ingredient, which you have apparently already researched to the point where you know all of the companies that are using it in their eye creams so you obviously already know which ones to avoid, yet you still felt the need to mention the ingredient in your OP.  Were you interested in starting a debate about whether or not human fetal cells should be used in cosmetics?

And I asked you about which companies are supposedly using the cells in their products because I was genuinely interested. I only know of the one company that has used actual cells at any point, and the others I have heard about are using synthetic cells. If there are others, I would like to know, and I'm sure others would be interested, as well.

Cat woman, read my original post. I want eye cream and concealer. If I wanted to start a debate I would not shy away from it. I don't want aborted fetal cells in my eye cream. Pretty simple. If you'd like to start a debate on your issue please do it on another thread and not hijack this one.

I'm sure you can do the research just as easily. I'm interested in eye cream while avoiding certain ingredients.

I just looked through 5 pages of google results, and even the totally wacko sites (like the ones claiming that Pepsi uses aborted fetal cells "as a flavor" in all their products) do not list any companies other than the one Catwoman mentioned, NeoCutis. So since you know for sure that "there is more than one brand," you must have much better research skills than the rest of us — perhaps you would be kind enough to list them all, so we can all avoid those products.

Cat woman, read my original post. I want eye cream and concealer. If I wanted to start a debate I would not shy away from it. I don't want aborted fetal cells in my eye cream. Pretty simple. If you'd like to start a debate on your issue please do it on another thread and not hijack this one.

She said she was interested. Since when is that synonymous with "starting a debate". Geesh. And, referencing your earlier reply to me, you're welcome.

She wasn't looking for a debate. She was just trying to answer your question correctly. I felt that your response came across rude as well. That's just the joy of the internet where no one can speak in a tone. Now quit arguing and start talking about face cream.

I take fish oil pills. They do wonders.

Also Pepsi does use aborted babies in their products. *Everyone* knows that.

Now it's my issue?  :glare:  I don't think so.

You are the one who brought it up, yet refuse to answer our questions about which brands contain the ingredient that you specifically mentioned.

??? What the what?

Sorry, everything else comes out snarky but I'm flabbergasted.

I just looked through 5 pages of google results, and even the totally wacko sites (like the ones claiming that Pepsi uses aborted fetal cells "as a flavor" in all their products) do not list any companies other than the one Catwoman mentioned, NeoCutis. So since you know for sure that "there is more than one brand," you must have much better research skills than the rest of us — perhaps you would be kind enough to list them all, so we can all avoid those products.

I did the same search, and that's exactly why I asked her for more information --- it seemed as though she was saying it was a common ingredient in eye creams since she specified that she wanted to avoid it -- and I didn't find evidence of that at all. But if I'm wrong, I'd like to know about it, because if there is any possibility that something like that is in my eye cream, I want that information.

I was hoping she would clarify, and quite frankly, I don't understand why she got so defensive  -- and then, rather than answering anyone's questions, she told us to have a blessed evening.

I'm wondering why she shut down the discussion so abruptly.

I think it is clear the OP does not want to start a debate about fetal cells etc.  She was accused of trying to start such a debate.  I would have become testy after that too.

Except that it was a major part of her OP. And in a later post, she acted as though she had information about companies that were using aborted fetal cells in their eye creams -- but refused to reveal what she knew, telling me to do my own research.

Sorry, but that makes no sense. If I wanted suggestions about good eye creams and already knew I wanted to avoid specific brands because they contained an ingredient I opposed, I would gladly post the brand names if anyone asked.

She said she was interested. Since when is that synonymous with "starting a debate". Geesh. And, referencing your earlier reply to me, you're welcome.

I'm still interested, but it sounds like she's not going to tell us.

I certainly never said I wanted to debate about that particular ingredient. It's not as though most people would be reading labels and hoping they would find "aborted fetal cells" on the ingredient list.  :ack2:

She wasn't looking for a debate. She was just trying to answer your question correctly. I felt that your response came across rude as well. That's just the joy of the internet where no one can speak in a tone. Now quit arguing and start talking about face cream.

I take fish oil pills. They do wonders.

Also Pepsi does use aborted babies in their products. *Everyone* knows that.

Thanks -- and is it bad that I'm sitting here drinking Pepsi right now?  ;)

Truth be told, I'm a whole lot less concerned about what's in this Pepsi than I am with what's in the Doritos I'm eating. I'm pretty sure the orange powdery stuff that's all over them doesn't exist in nature. BUT IT SHOULD BECAUSE I LOVE IT. :D

Thanks -- and is it bad that I'm sitting here drinking Pepsi right now? ;)

Truth be told, I'm a whole lot less concerned about what's in this Pepsi than I am with what's in the Doritos I'm eating. I'm pretty sure the orange powdery stuff that's all over them doesn't exist in nature. BUT IT SHOULD BECAUSE I LOVE IT. :D

I can't figure out how to like on my phone BUT YES IT SHOULD!!

I do admit, though, to being a bit puzzled about why you mentioned the specific ingredient, which you have apparently already researched to the point where you know all of the companies that are using it in their eye creams so you obviously already know which ones to avoid, yet you still felt the need to mention the ingredient in your OP.  Were you interested in starting a debate about whether or not human fetal cells should be used in cosmetics?

You got all this from the OP's words "there is more than one"?

Nothing the OP said implied she wanted a debate.

Maybe she doesn't know all the companies that have that ingredient and was reaching out to the vast experience of the Hive, like many of us do when we actually want suggestions.

If her request had specified "no animal products" or "not involving unethical animal testing," would she have gotten the third degree?

Catwoman, I don't know if this helps, but several creams have used research using stem cells. I'm so abruptly pro-life that I won't use those creams. I do wonder if that was part of what she was referring to.

Thanks.  :)

I was curious about that, as well. I know that many people are opposed to using synthetic cells because they are based on human cells, but she seemed very specific about the "aborted fetus" thing, so that's why I was hoping she would give us more details.

I wish she would have simply explained what she meant. I really wasn't trying to start a debate. I just wanted more information, and it seemed as though she had it and didn't want to share it, which seemed odd to me, considering that she started the thread and brought up the specific ingredient.

You got all this from the OP's words "there is more than one"?

Nothing the OP said implied she wanted a debate.

Maybe she doesn't know all the companies that have that ingredient and was reaching out to the vast experience of the Hive, like many of us do when we actually want suggestions.

If her request had specified "no animal products" or "not involving unethical animal testing," would she have gotten the third degree?

Now it seems as though you are the one who is looking for a debate and reading intent in my posts that wasn't there.

I asked for clarification, and she implied that she had the information but that I should do my own research to find out what she already knew.  Not exactly helpful... 

Do you really think I was sitting around on the forum tonight hoping against hope that someone would mention aborted human fetuses so I could start a big debate about it?  :rolleyes: 

Now it seems as though you are the one who is looking for a debate and reading intent in my posts that wasn't there.

I asked for clarification, and she implied that she had the information but that I should do my own research to find out what she already knew.  Not exactly helpful... 

Do you really think I was sitting around on the forum tonight hoping against hope that someone would mention aborted human fetuses so I could start a big debate about it?  :rolleyes:

I took her response to mean that she would have had to do research in order to supply you with the info you wanted, so it would make more sense for you to do the research yourself if you were really interested.

You made an assumption that she knows a great deal about who does and doesn't use what she considers "offensive" ingredients (of which fetus cells was given as one example to illustrate what she meant by "offensive").  But I see nothing to indicate that.  She believes there is more than one brand.

So because she did not provide you with specific information that she may not even have, you accused her of trying to start a debate.  This is after you started out questioning her motive for mentioning the words aborted fetus in her OP.  Then all of a sudden it was she who wanted a debate?  And now it's I who want a debate?

This is how I always get in trouble.  I had better bow out.  I think I made my point.

I just go with Paula's Choice for everything. Her Resist line is lovely. While you don't need a separate eye cream (can just use a good moisturizer) some of her serums are very nice for use around the eyes.

To fade the dark circles, her Resist Retinol product is very nice. 

All her products (except a couple boar brushes) are vegan and have no animal testing

So this is one of those threads that explains the full moon thread!

My grandma always used raw egg yolk as a face cream.  She really looked younger than her actual years - a couple of decades younger.

I'm too lazy to use anything more than a face soap in my shower.

Best wishes on your search OP!

Catwoman, I don't know if this helps, but several creams have used research using stem cells. I'm so abruptly pro-life that I won't use those creams. I do wonder if that was part of what she was referring to.

Hmm, that is possible.  I'm a fairly meticulous ingredients-reader on my beauty stuff and never see that, but if research is the issue it sure wouldn't be stated on the packaging. 

I suggested a brand that includes PLANT stem cells, so I hope that's clear!  lol  (I did a double take when I first bought it, too.  :P )

I have already posted the information I had. If you have already done the research, why not just share it with us? :confused:

Otherwise, I guess I could suggest that you "do the research" and find your own eye cream. ;)

I do admit, though, to being a bit puzzled about why you mentioned the specific ingredient, which you have apparently already researched to the point where you know all of the companies that are using it in their eye creams so you obviously already know which ones to avoid, yet you still felt the need to mention the ingredient in your OP. Were you interested in starting a debate about whether or not human fetal cells should be used in cosmetics?

And I asked you about which companies are supposedly using the cells in their products because I was genuinely interested. I only know of the one company that has used actual cells at any point, and the others I have heard about are using synthetic cells. If there are others, I would like to know, and I'm sure others would be interested, as well.

I'm with you...if joyfulfarmbride already knows there are a bunch, why not say: "I'd prefer not to use brands X, Y and Z because of <fill in reason.>

I use bacon grease, by the way.

I took her response to mean that she would have had to do research in order to supply you with the info you wanted, so it would make more sense for you to do the research yourself if you were really interested.

You made an assumption that she knows a great deal about who does and doesn't use what she considers "offensive" ingredients (of which fetus cells was given as one example to illustrate what she meant by "offensive"). But I see nothing to indicate that. She believes there is more than one brand.

So because she did not provide you with specific information that she may not even have, you accused her of trying to start a debate. This is after you started out questioning her motive for mentioning the words aborted fetus in her OP. Then all of a sudden it was she who wanted a debate? And now it's I who want a debate?

This is how I always get in trouble. I had better bow out. I think I made my point.

But joyfulfarmbride could have said something like..."I heard there is more than one company but I just don't know the names." Saying *do your own research* does seem unusual in a thread where one is asking for advice that involves other people sharing information.

I would say the same about any topic, not just one as potentially loaded as this one.

What is a "synthetic cell"?

Scientists have created fake cells similar to aborted fetal cells. I was saying that I couldn't use a product that uses aborted babies in their research and I guess synthetic cells are from that research so it was relevant. I don't know what synthetic cells are used for.

Pepsi is no longer on the boycott list.

Why was Pepsi on the boycott list?

I use bacon grease, by the way.

I suppose that's typical for a beagle cross.

Oh heavens! Alert the media! Someone made a flippant remark on a message board! The end is near! Into your bunkers, people!

Having exhausted my supply of exclamation points for the month, I am going to suggest that the OP search for a recent thread that mentioned "glycolic acid." I am on my phone or I would check, but there was some good info in there that might be helpful.

Scientists have created fake cells similar to aborted fetal cells. I was saying that I couldn't use a product that uses aborted babies in their research and I guess synthetic cells are from that research so it was relevant. I don't know what synthetic cells are used for.

Why was Pepsi on the boycott list?

I suppose that's typical for a beagle cross.

(edited) Pepsi was on the boycott list because a fetal cell line was used in the testing of their products. It was another company that actually carried out the testing. The cells were not in Pepsi, but Pepsi did respond to criticism and changed its practices. 

ETA: Just checked Senomyx is the name of the biotechnology company that used kidney cells derived from an embryo in developing the human taste receptor cells that are used for testing flavors. Pepsi now has a statement on their website regarding their position on this type of research. http://www.pepsico.com/Company/Policies