Menu

Let's play a little game - Help me put together a menu :)

k2bdeutmeyer

DH finished school in August (he has his BA finally!!!!), but has yet to get a new job.  We're out the extra student loans we were living off of, plus child support was dropped from $300/month to $30/month in the last year or so.  Anyway, point being, we're drowning.

That being said, DH doesn't get paid until next Tuesday (9/30) and we have nothing extra until then to feed our family of 6 (2 adults (1 pregnant), 14yo girl (GF), 7yo girl (GF), 5yo boy, 1yo boy).  So.....wanna help me get creative and figure out how to feed this crew until then with what we have and the little bit of extra I can come up with between now and then??

Requirements (is that the right word?):

2 children (at minimum) have to be gluten free

Dinner must include meat or heavy protein (DH is willing to try using beans as his protein, but is skeptical)

Nothing spicy (even minimally spicy)

DH eats a LOT.....like triple a normal portion at least (without going into a ton of unnecessary detail, this is non-negotiable his calorie needs are very high)

7yo does not like eggs - at all

7yo needs a portable snack 2 days a week (Mon/Wed)

Available to me:

I can probably come up with $50 (likely spread out) to spend

Left to buy through WIC for the month:
2.5gal 1% milk

4 gal whole milk (nobody will drink this, but could be used for cooking?)

1 dozen eggs

1pkg dried beans

3 64oz containers juice

36oz cereal

2 loaves bread

$18.00 worth of produce

In the pantry/fridge:

1/2 gal milk

1lb ground beef

2 whole chickens

Corn tortillas (small ones) - GF kids don't really care for these unless it's pizza on them

1.5 boxes of Corn/Rice Chex

1 onion

White rice

Several 16oz pkgs of lentils

Enchilada sauce

Several cans diced tomatoes

Several cans pineapple (nobody will eat plain)

2 cans pork & beans

1 can kidney beans

Several jars peanut butter

3-4 slices of bread

1 bag tortilla chips

1 large jar of jarred beef

Cornbread mix (not GF)

Several cans cream of ______ soup (not GF)

2 pkgs chicken flavored Ramen

GF cornbread mix

GF cookie mix

2 can black beans

1 can applesauce

Cranberry Orange muffin mix (not GF)

1 can beef broth

Pancake mix (a little GF, plenty not GF)

1/2 box of Ritz type crackers

1 box mac & cheese (not GF)

2 bottles juice

1 bag oyster crackers

Sugar

Tiny bit brown sugar

Flour

Baking soda/powder

5-8oz sour cream

Garlic

3 sticks butter

3 loaves frozen white bread (pretty old...might be freezer burned??)

Breakfast sausage (DH and kids will eat)

2 pkgs frozen brats (only DH will eat)

1 indivdual chicken pot pie

1 indvidual turkey pot pie

1 individual beef pot pie

1/2 5lb bag of red potatoes

1 overripe banana

Somebody can make some sort of sense from this, right???  :)

First thing that jumped out at me is to turn that whole milk into yogurt. You can get some plain yogurt (make sure it is PLAIN, no sugar, no vanilla). I get the little greek cups for about $1 and that is enough starter to turn 1/2 gallon into yogurt. Then save back a cup and turn a gallon into yogurt.

I do a gallon a week and turn some into lebni (a type of kefir cheese) and the rest I cook with or flavor for the kids' snacks. (You can flavor with jello powder or fruit, top with cereal crushed or the like).

First thing that jumped out at me is to turn that whole milk into yogurt. You can get some plain yogurt (make sure it is PLAIN, no sugar, no vanilla). I get the little greek cups for about $1 and that is enough starter to turn 1/2 gallon into yogurt. Then save back a cup and turn a gallon into yogurt.

I do a gallon a week and turn some into lebni (a type of kefir cheese) and the rest I cook with or flavor for the kids' snacks. (You can flavor with jello powder or fruit, top with cereal crushed or the like).

Great idea, my kids love yogurt!!  I haven't been taking the whole milk, because I wasn't sure what to do with it.  Do you happen to have a link or could you tell me exactly how to do this??

Kristin - Can you also get some food from a local food pantry? That might help you stretch things even further.

I need to figure out if there is a better one than the last one I went to.  The last one gave me 1 box of Fruity Pebbles, 3 granola bars, 4 pkgs fruit snacks, 1 can beans, 1 can applesauce, 1 can of condensed juice, and 2 pkgs of cookies?!?

I forgot....we also have 2 bags of GF granola.

You have lots of whole milk, and some sugar.

Do you have any vanilla and cornstarch?  You could make vanilla pudding.  If you have cocoa powder you could make chocolate pudding. There are recipes with and without eggs.

Assuming you have dried herbs on hand, or have access to a store that sells them in bulk (so you can buy 25 cents worth or however much you need), you could make Sue Gregg's Lentil Rice Casserole.  I double everything, cover with foil, and bake in a 9x13 pan at 300 degrees for 2.5 hours. You would need 1 cup brown rice if you make the doubled recipe - again, if you have access to a store that sells in bulk, you could buy just one cup.

For the above recipe, I use 5 1/2 C water when I double it, no chicken broth (but if you have bouillon cubes you could use them), and I add 2T Bragg's Aminos + 1/2 tsp salt.  You could use tamari (GF) if you have it, or just add more salt.  The recipe needs salt of some kind, whether from bouillon, aminos, tamari, or whatever...  Before serving, top with shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa, lime, whatever you want.

Since DH is not there for lunch/breakfast, I would focus on making those vegetarian with beans/dairy for your protein.

Bean and cheese tostadas (my kids call them mini mexican pizzas) (get pinto beans from WIC and make crockpot refried beans, do you have any cheese left on WIC? Can you sub some cheese for 1 gallon of the whole milk?)

For dinner:

Maybe chili with the black beans to have with the cornbread? (sorry I know you said not spicy, I just am not sure how to do that  :laugh: , I spice everything, maybe go lightly with the chili powder or skip it?).

Breakfast for dinner one night (eggs, pancakes, some GF, some not)?

You could make bread pudding with the frozen bread, the whole milk and some eggs and sugar.

Gluten free baking keeps well in the freezer. I would bake the GF cornbread and cookies to have on hand in the freezer for the GF kids when you make non GF snacks for the others.

I'm not much help for the menu right now- but first, re-do your food list by rough categories- dairy, gluten-free, meats, beans, bread/pasta, fruits/veggies, baking ingredients, etc.  Then you'll be able to pick out some main dishes and some side dishes.

for WIC items, get EVERYTHING!  If you don;t use all the whole milk for yogurt, use it for cooking. Or can you mix the whole & 1% and get kind of a 2.5%?  WIll they drink that or use it for cereal? I always water down my juices- even when we're not broke. :lol:  And get some oatmeal- cheap & filling.

Here's a link about yogurt making. If you scroll down, you'll see some tips about how to do it without a yogurt maker.

And another link that doesn't assume you have a yogurt maker.

Awesome!  Thank you!

You have lots of whole milk, and some sugar.

Do you have any vanilla and cornstarch?  You could make vanilla pudding.  If you have cocoa powder you could make chocolate pudding. There are recipes with and without eggs.

Assuming you have dried herbs on hand, or have access to a store that sells them in bulk (so you can buy 25 cents worth or however much you need), you could make Sue Gregg's Lentil Rice Casserole.  I double everything, cover with foil, and bake in a 9x13 pan at 300 degrees for 2.5 hours. You would need 1 cup brown rice if you make the doubled recipe - again, if you have access to a store that sells in bulk, you could buy just one cup.

For the above recipe, I use 5 1/2 C water when I double it, no chicken broth (but if you have bouillon cubes you could use them), and I add 2T Bragg's Aminos + 1/2 tsp salt.  You could use tamari (GF) if you have it, or just add more salt.  The recipe needs salt of some kind, whether from bouillon, aminos, tamari, or whatever...  Before serving, top with shredded cheese, sour cream, salsa, lime, whatever you want.

I do have vanilla, cornstarch, and I think some cocoa powder.  The most expensive grocery store in town does have some bulk items, but I'm not sure what.  I do have dried herbs and spices, etc.

Since DH is not there for lunch/breakfast, I would focus on making those vegetarian with beans/dairy for your protein.

Bean and cheese tostadas (my kids call them mini mexican pizzas) (get pinto beans from WIC and make crockpot refried beans, do you have any cheese left on WIC? Can you sub some cheese for 1 gallon of the whole milk?)

For dinner:

Maybe chili with the black beans to have with the cornbread? (sorry I know you said not spicy, I just am not sure how to do that  :laugh: , I spice everything, maybe go lightly with the chili powder or skip it?).

Breakfast for dinner one night (eggs, pancakes, some GF, some not)?

WIC doesn't do cheese anymore :(

I don't mind chili....DH makes an AWESOME chili (the only chili I've ever found that we all like), but we just had it last week and it would require quite a few ingredients that we don't have.

I did forget to mention that DH won't do breakfast for dinner, but we could do it for lunch.  DD14 won't eat pancakes, but....we could figure something out.

Are your kids willing to eat beans for dinner? If so, could you give your husband his portion of meat-for-dinner for lunch (so the kids don't see he's eating something different) and he has to just deal with it at dinner time?

DH doesn't eat lunch, but the kids wouldn't care if he had meat and they didn't depending on what it was.

I'm not much help for the menu right now- but first, re-do your food list by rough categories- dairy, gluten-free, meats, beans, bread/pasta, fruits/veggies, baking ingredients, etc.  Then you'll be able to pick out some main dishes and some side dishes.

for WIC items, get EVERYTHING!  If you don;t use all the whole milk for yogurt, use it for cooking. Or can you mix the whole & 1% and get kind of a 2.5%?  WIll they drink that or use it for cereal? I always water down my juices- even when we're not broke. :lol:  And get some oatmeal- cheap & filling.

Good thoughts....I'll reorganize my list.  I water juices down too.  We aren't big juice drinkers anyway.  We drink 95% water and use the milk mostly for cooking and cereal.  DD14 might drink the mixed milk.....she likes 2%.  DD7 probably wouldn't - she prefers skim.

Oatmeal is tricky, because it has to be certified GF.

The freezer-burnt bread can be good in as french toast casserole or stuffing or anything cooked.

Oh.....yes.  Good idea.  The problem is figuring out something comparable for the 2 GF kids.  Ugh.  This is so complicated.

You could use some of the chicken and black beans to make enchiladas with the corn tortillas (You would need cheese though) If you think they would eat the corn tortillas this way.  You can remove the casing from the brats and use it as ground sausage. Would more people eat it that way? You could blend some of the canned tomatoes and have a spaghetti or pizza type sauce. If you got corn as some of your produce you could make shepherds pie with the ground beef and potatoes.

You could make a simple beef stew with one of the juice cans.

Throw a can of tomato juice, add a large bag of frozen mixed veggies, and then whatever beef you can find on sale into the crockpot. If you know when the store does mark downs that is the best time to buy meat.

Could you swap the whole milk with a friend whose family will drink it?

Have you heard of "rubber chicken".  It's not really a recipe, but the concept of using the entire chicken.

You have two whole birds.  That should be good for 3-4 meals I would think.

Use some of you produce money for onions, celery, potatoes. 

Roast both of them and remove the chicken from the bones.  Serve it that first night just enough that everyone gets enough protein, ( don't put it all on the table) along with sides. but better yet, would be to not serve it as just chicken slices, but put it into something like a casserole. Make gravy and put chicken, some frozen veggies into a casserole and top with corn bread.  Put the rest in containers for the next meals.

2nd meal would be Burritos, enchiladas, stir fried rice, or chicken with rice and broccoli (using your 18.00 for produce) chicken tetrazinni using GF noodles if you have them, etc. 

You can make a kind of stuffing out of the bread loaves and make a casserole from that and some gravy you make from the chicken stock.

Third meal would be soup.  Cook up that carcass for hours or over night in the crockpot.  Then make some kind of chicken soup. chicken and rice, or chicken and gluten free dumplings.  Cook the beans and make white chicken chili using the beans and your whole milk.

Corn tortillas aren't my favorite either, but they work well in Mexican layered casseroles.

Do a search for "rubber chicken" for lots of ideas.  Many of them were listed as 8 meals but they were only feeding two people, but you will get ideas of what you can cook.

Breakfast or lunch would be pancakes or sandwiches with peanut butter and whatever fruit, celery, apples, etc, you can come up.  Bake all the pot pies and serve them for lunch when it's just you and kids, meaning you have to cook something GF for the kiddoes that need that.  Rice/raisins and milk perhaps.

You could make a simple beef stew with one of the juice cans.

Throw a can of tomato juice, add a large bag of frozen mixed veggies, and then whatever beef you can find on sale into the crockpot. If you know when the store does mark downs that is the best time to buy meat.

Could you swap the whole milk with a friend whose family will drink it?

Interesting thought on the swapping.  I don't really have many friends, but I could put something on FB and maybe somebody could use it.  My 7yr old (my celiac) could really stand to gain some weight - any ideas on anything I could add to it that might make her more willing to drink it??  She's also my one that prefers skim :/

Have you heard of "rubber chicken".  It's not really a recipe, but the concept of using the entire chicken.

You have two whole birds.  That should be good for 3-4 meals I would think.

Use some of you produce money for onions, celery, potatoes. 

Roast both of them and remove the chicken from the bones.  Serve it that first night just enough that everyone gets enough protein, ( don't put it all on the table) along with sides. but better yet, would be to not serve it as just chicken slices, but put it into something like a casserole. Make gravy and put chicken, some frozen veggies into a casserole and top with corn bread.  Put the rest in containers for the next meals.

2nd meal would be Burritos, enchiladas, stir fried rice, or chicken with rice and broccoli (using your 18.00 for produce) chicken tetrazinni using GF noodles if you have them, etc. 

You can make a kind of stuffing out of the bread loaves and make a casserole from that and some gravy you make from the chicken stock.

Third meal would be soup.  Cook up that carcass for hours or over night in the crockpot.  Then make some kind of chicken soup. chicken and rice, or chicken and gluten free dumplings.  Cook the beans and make white chicken chili using the beans and your whole milk.

Corn tortillas aren't my favorite either, but they work well in Mexican layered casseroles.

Do a search for "rubber chicken" for lots of ideas.  Many of them were listed as 8 meals but they were only feeding two people, but you will get ideas of what you can cook.

Breakfast or lunch would be pancakes or sandwiches with peanut butter and whatever fruit, celery, apples, etc, you can come up.  Bake all the pot pies and serve them for lunch when it's just you and kids, meaning you have to cook something GF for the kiddoes that need that.  Rice/raisins and milk perhaps.

I think I need lessons on the whole creating stock from a carcass thing, lol.  I tried it one other time and not only did the smell of the stock in the crockpot make me sick, it tasted like nothing :/  I haven't tried since.

I know it doesn't help in the immediate need, but do you guys qualify for food stamp assistance?

Unfortunately, no.  We are just over the limit.  I'm thinking we will in January once baby is here.

I think I need lessons on the whole creating stock from a carcass thing, lol.  I tried it one other time and not only did the smell of the stock in the crockpot make me sick, it tasted like nothing :/  I haven't tried since.

for starters, put the crockpot in the porch, garage, basaement, etc, someplace you won't smell it all night.

You need some veggies, carrots, onions, celery.  Salt, pepper, and maybe some bay leaf if you like that, I don't prefer it so I still with salt and pepper.  Thyme works well if you some of that. 

Just put it in the crockpot with the chicken bones, and cover the whole thing with water.  Lots of water.  Put it on high for a couple of hours to bring it up to a higher temp, then turn it down to low and go to bed.  In the morning pour it thru a large spaghetti strainer and discard all the parts.  The longer you cook it the more flavor it will have. Seriously, some people cook it for 24 hours until the bones are really soft. 

for starters, put the crockpot in the porch, garage, basaement, etc, someplace you won't smell it all night.

You need some veggies, carrots, onions, celery.  Salt, pepper, and maybe some bay leaf if you like that, I don't prefer it so I still with salt and pepper.  Thyme works well if you some of that. 

Just put it in the crockpot with the chicken bones, and cover the whole thing with water.  Lots of water.  Put it on high for a couple of hours to bring it up to a higher temp, then turn it down to low and go to bed.  In the morning pour it thru a large spaghetti strainer and discard all the parts.  The longer you cook it the more flavor it will have. Seriously, some people cook it for 24 hours until the bones are really soft. 

I know I did a good 24hr last time.  I don't remember what all I put in there, but I do know it included a bay leaf or two, and onion, lol.  It ended up tasting like water with a VERY slight chicken flavor.  Maybe I just didn't add enough seasonings?

The best way to make stock is to add in some veggies in addition to the chicken, to give a full flavour.  You can eat the veggies afterwards as part of a soup/stew, so they would not be wasted.  A classic stock would be something like:

Chicken carcass in a pot with an onion, a carrot, some celery sticks and any herbs you have lying around (optional).  Just cover the ingredients with water and bring to the boil.  Simmer for at least an hour - more is better so that the stock reduces and becomes more flavourful.  Pass through a sieve to remove the veg to reuse, as well as capturing any bits of meat that came off the carcass.  Allow to cool.  I then usually refrigerate so that I can skim the fat off, but you can use it fresh if you prefer.

The 'rubber chicken' description is how I grew up: a piece of meat was cooked once a week and for most of the other evening meals it was stretched with beans, pulses, etc.  I still do that a fair bit.

L

How about a pineapple bread and butter pudding to use up your freezer-burned bread and pineapple? You could use your whole milk in it too. An adaptation of this, but with drained pineapple in place of raisins. Not gluten free, but it would fill your husband up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/breadandbutterpuddin_85936

For years as a teen and young adult I loathed eating breakfast foods for breakfast, but was fine eating them for lunch or supper.  I found my favorite go-to option for breakfast was leftovers.  Now DD13 has gotten sick and tired of eggs.  I still want quick things for breakfast, and want the kids to get both protein and fiber every morning (everything just goes more smoothly if they get both).  We have been negotiating and mixing things up, pulling from my memories of what I'd eat way back when.  True to form, the favorites are leftovers, but anything non-breakfast-y seems to be a winner.  Perhaps your kid who doesn't like eggs would like to do something similar for breakfast?

You didn't mention if the 7yo who needs portable snacks is one of the gluten-free kids.  I have found that Chex make lovely snack foods, if that is the case.

I don't see mention of whatever seasonings, oils, lemon/lime juice, etc. you might have.  If you have some of these you can use one of your cans of beans to make something much like hummus (real hummus uses garbanzo beans/chickpeas, but most beans substitute nicely), or simply a bean spread.  Look online for hummus recipes, or simply mash up the beans and add whatever oil, lemon/lime juice, seasonings, etc. you have on hand that smell and taste well together.

I also didn't see much mentioned for veggies.  If you can get some Romaine or Iceberg lettuces make good, filling salad bases, and lettuce with leftover scraps make tasty salads.  Frozen veggies can be gotten pretty cheap, keep well, and can help stretch out a meal.  Those red potatoes also can help thicken up a soup or casserole, or can be made into hash with meat leftovers (another good breakfast option).

I have used cooked rice to stretch out ground beef at times, or bread crumbs or cracker crumbs.  Done carefully you could make a meatloaf, or individual bunless "burgers" (mini-meatloaves?).

Rice and lentils both work great for stretching out soups and casseroles.

Look online for tortilla soup recipes and compare them to what you have on hand.  It looks like you have got some good soup makings there, and soup, too, is another way to use leftover scraps and stretch out what you have.  Take some of those corn tortillas no one wants to eat, break them up small, and throw them in tortilla soup early.  They will cook into mush that is easily stirred into the soup to thicken it and make it more filling.

Celery goes great with hummus (mentioned earlier in this post), or with peanut butter or cream cheese.  Carrots and other firm raw veggies go great with hummus, too, and a raw veggie & hummus snack or lunch is a good way to get both protein and fiber into the family.

Overripe bananas work great for making into muffins or freezing and dipping into melted chocolate (if you have any) or peanut butter.  I've also been told PB and banana sandwiches are yummy.

I'll think more.

For years as a teen and young adult I loathed eating breakfast foods for breakfast, but was fine eating them for lunch or supper.  I found my favorite go-to option for breakfast was leftovers.  Now DD13 has gotten sick and tired of eggs.  I still want quick things for breakfast, and want the kids to get both protein and fiber every morning (everything just goes more smoothly if they get both).  We have been negotiating and mixing things up, pulling from my memories of what I'd eat way back when.  True to form, the favorites are leftovers, but anything non-breakfast-y seems to be a winner.  Perhaps your kid who doesn't like eggs would like to do something similar for breakfast?

You didn't mention if the 7yo who needs portable snacks is one of the gluten-free kids.  I have found that Chex make lovely snack foods, if that is the case.

I don't see mention of whatever seasonings, oils, lemon/lime juice, etc. you might have.  If you have some of these you can use one of your cans of beans to make something much like hummus (real hummus uses garbanzo beans/chickpeas, but most beans substitute nicely), or simply a bean spread.  Look online for hummus recipes, or simply mash up the beans and add whatever oil, lemon/lime juice, seasonings, etc. you have on hand that smell and taste well together.

I also didn't see much mentioned for veggies.  If you can get some Romaine or Iceberg lettuces make good, filling salad bases, and lettuce with leftover scraps make tasty salads.  Frozen veggies can be gotten pretty cheap, keep well, and can help stretch out a meal.  Those red potatoes also can help thicken up a soup or casserole, or can be made into hash with meat leftovers (another good breakfast option).

I have used cooked rice to stretch out ground beef at times, or bread crumbs or cracker crumbs.  Done carefully you could make a meatloaf, or individual bunless "burgers" (mini-meatloaves?).

Rice and lentils both work great for stretching out soups and casseroles.

Look online for tortilla soup recipes and compare them to what you have on hand.  It looks like you have got some good soup makings there, and soup, too, is another way to use leftover scraps and stretch out what you have.  Take some of those corn tortillas no one wants to eat, break them up small, and throw them in tortilla soup early.  They will cook into mush that is easily stirred into the soup to thicken it and make it more filling.

Celery goes great with hummus (mentioned earlier in this post), or with peanut butter or cream cheese.  Carrots and other firm raw veggies go great with hummus, too, and a raw veggie & hummus snack or lunch is a good way to get both protein and fiber into the family.

Overripe bananas work great for making into muffins or freezing and dipping into melted chocolate (if you have any) or peanut butter.  I've also been told PB and banana sandwiches are yummy.

I'll think more.

My 7yr old is my Celiac kid, she is also the one that doesn't like eggs.  She loves fruits and veggies, not so much meat.  She's also severely underweight.

I do have lemon juice, olive oil, canola oil, and various spices.  No other veggies than what was listed.

Some great ideas in here.  I need to sit down and try and piece all of these ideas together and try to figure out the smartest way to use each one that will go the farthest.

My 7yr old is my Celiac kid, she is also the one that doesn't like eggs.  She loves fruits and veggies, not so much meat.  She's also severely underweight.

I do have lemon juice, olive oil, canola oil, and various spices.  No other veggies than what was listed.

Some great ideas in here.  I need to sit down and try and piece all of these ideas together and try to figure out the smartest way to use each one that will go the farthest.

If she loves veggies and can carry a chilled bag for her snacks (insulated lunch bag or box) raw veggies and some hummus/bean spread makes a great snack that could also help put a bit of weight on her.  Take a can of beans (preferably not the kidney beans), mash it up in a food processor or by hand, and start mixing in dribbles of oil, lemon juice, and some spices until it tastes good.  If you can involve your 7yo in crafting this, tasting with clean spoons or raw veggies as you go (taste, season more, taste, adjust more, etc.) it will end up being something she's more likely going to enjoy eating and she can brag to her friends about the yummy stuff she made.  The way I find spice combinations that work well together is by sniffing -- sniff the main item the stuff is going into, but also sniff each seasoning before adding it.  If the aromas smell nice together they usually will taste good together.  If something doesn't seem like a good fit nose-wise then leave it out.

Spices and seasonings can make a few ingredients that have been eaten all too frequently seem fresh, new, and more filling.  Play with them, and see what you can discover.

Here is a URL for a really popular chicken dish (goes great with rice or potatoes):

http://savingdinner.com/recipes/garlic-lime-chicken/

I cut down (or out) the cayenne pepper when I make it because my youngest doesn't tolerate much heat (if any) spice-wise.  This is so popular with my kids they even asked for it for breakfast the other day, after I had made it for supper the night before.  Also search this website for chicken and see what she has to share recipe-wise.  She sells recipe ebooks and menu mailers (meal plans), but she shares some of her recipes for free to entice people in.  Search around on a key ingredient or two and see what you can find.

If she loves veggies and can carry a chilled bag for her snacks (insulated lunch bag or box) raw veggies and some hummus/bean spread makes a great snack that could also help put a bit of weight on her.  Take a can of beans (preferably not the kidney beans), mash it up in a food processor or by hand, and start mixing in dribbles of oil, lemon juice, and some spices until it tastes good.  If you can involve your 7yo in crafting this, tasting with clean spoons or raw veggies as you go (taste, season more, taste, adjust more, etc.) it will end up being something she's more likely going to enjoy eating and she can brag to her friends about the yummy stuff she made.  The way I find spice combinations that work well together is by sniffing -- sniff the main item the stuff is going into, but also sniff each seasoning before adding it.  If the aromas smell nice together they usually will taste good together.  If something doesn't seem like a good fit nose-wise then leave it out.

Spices and seasonings can make a few ingredients that have been eaten all too frequently seem fresh, new, and more filling.  Play with them, and see what you can discover.

Here is a URL for a really popular chicken dish (goes great with rice or potatoes):

http://savingdinner.com/recipes/garlic-lime-chicken/

I cut down (or out) the cayenne pepper when I make it because my youngest doesn't tolerate much heat (if any) spice-wise.  This is so popular with my kids they even asked for it for breakfast the other day, after I had made it for supper the night before.  Also search this website for chicken and see what she has to share recipe-wise.  She sells recipe ebooks and menu mailers (meal plans), but she shares some of her recipes for free to entice people in.  Search around on a key ingredient or two and see what you can find.

She can bring anything for her snacks :)  She's had store bought hummus before and liked it.  We made it once at home, but it's been awhile.

Thanks for the link!!

I was just thinking more about my 7yr old and breakfast.  Her top choices would be things she can't have (muffins, pancakes, cereal, etc.....), fruit, and yogurt.

What does she eat for breakfast now?  Perhaps we can help you think of some creative ideas with the list you have given us if we know what "Normal" is for her.

What does she eat for breakfast now? Perhaps we can help you think of some creative ideas with the list you have given us if we know what "Normal" is for her.

Cereal (the plain Chex we get from WIC - definitely not her first choice, but she will eat it if she has nothing else), fruit (when we have it), yogurt & granola (this rarely fills her for more than an hour or so).

If it was me we would have

Spaghetti bolognese with the mince and tinned tomatoes. I would add red lentils to stretch it if you have them.

Roast chicken with roast potatoes and whatever vege produce you get.

I'd save leftover chicken meat and boil the carcase for stock and soak some beans. Next night would be chicken soup with beans and tinned tomatoes. I normally add soup pasta to make it more filling but you could also toast the frozen bread to go with it.

I don't know what jarred beef is but if it's what I'm imagining it could have cooked lentils and some kind of seasoning added then topped with mashed potato for shepherds pie.

I have no idea what breakfast sausage is. Is it something that could be used in fried rice? That would be five assuming you have enough verges for fried rice.

Then I would cut the last roast chicken up into pieces. One night would be roast drumsticks and wings supplemented with pot pie and the last night would be chicken curry or chicken cooked in enchilada sauce on those tortillas topped with sour cream if I didn't have rice for another curry night.

Lunches are pretty basic around here. I'd use your pork and beans cans one day. Your soup cans another day. There'd be cornbread one day. If you have enough produce you could do lentil patties (cooked lentils mashed potato, grated carrot and onion fried). Some kind of black bean casserole and then mac and cheese).

The muffin mix would get made up and frozen to be used for portable snacks.

Breakfast is normally toast or muesli here but you could also freeze the banana and make smoothies or make banana bread with it, pancakes are an option, you could make muffins flavoured with the apple sauce.

I have no idea what brats are but maybe you could serve them as an entree on one of the lighter meal nights to make it more filling.

Also if your bread isn't great for eating it might be okay to make into bread crumbs for meatballs or croutons to add to a salad. I also thought of peanut butter biscuits.

If there was one thing I'd need to buy to make it work for us it would be cheese. After that it would be whatever fresh food was cheapest.

If it was me we would have

Spaghetti bolognese with the mince and tinned tomatoes. I would add red lentils to stretch it if you have them.

Roast chicken with roast potatoes and whatever vege produce you get.

I'd save leftover chicken meat and boil the carcase for stock and soak some beans. Next night would be chicken soup with beans and tinned tomatoes. I normally add soup pasta to make it more filling but you could also toast the frozen bread to go with it.

I don't know what jarred beef is but if it's what I'm imagining it could have cooked lentils and some kind of seasoning added then topped with mashed potato for shepherds pie.

I have no idea what breakfast sausage is. Is it something that could be used in fried rice? That would be five assuming you have enough verges for fried rice.

Then I would cut the last roast chicken up into pieces. One night would be roast drumsticks and wings supplemented with pot pie and the last night would be chicken curry or chicken cooked in enchilada sauce on those tortillas topped with sour cream if I didn't have rice for another curry night.

Lunches are pretty basic around here. I'd use your pork and beans cans one day. Your soup cans another day. There'd be cornbread one day. If you have enough produce you could do lentil patties (cooked lentils mashed potato, grated carrot and onion fried). Some kind of black bean casserole and then mac and cheese).

The muffin mix would get made up and frozen to be used for portable snacks.

Breakfast is normally toast or muesli here but you could also freeze the banana and make smoothies or make banana bread with it, pancakes are an option, you could make muffins flavoured with the apple sauce.

I have no idea what brats are but maybe you could serve them as an entree on one of the lighter meal nights to make it more filling.

Also if your bread isn't great for eating it might be okay to make into bread crumbs for meatballs or croutons to add to a salad. I also thought of peanut butter biscuits.

If there was one thing I'd need to buy to make it work for us it would be cheese. After that it would be whatever fresh food was cheapest.

The problem with a lot of this is that it isn't gluten free :(  I can't use the frozen bread dough as filler, because 2 of my 4 kids can't have it :/

I know it would be more work for you but could you make separate meals until paycheck comes.  You have quite a few non-GF ingredients to work with so that would get a bunch of you fed and save the $50 you have to buy fresh produce and a few GF items to get those 2 through.  I know it's not ideal to have separate meals but we frequently have "clean out the fridge" meals where everyone gets different food.  The kids might not like that so and so gets something they deem better, but it's better to have everyone eating different foods and getting fed, than having everyone eat the "same" type of food but running out of food altogether.

I know it would be more work for you but could you make separate meals until paycheck comes. You have quite a few non-GF ingredients to work with so that would get a bunch of you fed and save the $50 you have to buy fresh produce and a few GF items to get those 2 through. I know it's not ideal to have separate meals but we frequently have "clean out the fridge" meals where everyone gets different food. The kids might not like that so and so gets something they deem better, but it's better to have everyone eating different foods and getting fed, than having everyone eat the "same" type of food but running out of food altogether.

I figure I'm going to have to to some extent, but is like to try to just modify a similar dish at least for dinner if I can. Kids are pretty used to us just eating whatever (all different things) for lunch.

Interesting thought on the swapping.  I don't really have many friends, but I could put something on FB and maybe somebody could use it.

Be careful and REALLY read your WIC rules before posting anything. Way back when I was on WIC, the WIC food was ONLY for the children and select items for me as a nursing mom- the rules were written so strictly that technically, ONLY the children could drink the WIC-bought juice, not DH. :glare:  No swapping, sharing, or giving away was permitted.

*I* personally think it's far better to swap a gallon of whole milk with a friend who has a galon of skim milk, but be careful so you don't lose your benefits over it.

Unless they've changed the rules to make more sense.