Menu

Rant: Amazon Prime- Depends on where you live.

StartingOver

I have purchased an Amazon Prime account of years. I have always, before this year gotten my packages in just 2 business days ( not including holidays). Lately if I order on Friday, I get packages on Wednesday through Friday. Seriously?

I ordered something for my grand baby on the 12th of Sept, and it was delivered to Austin on SUNDAY the 14th!! I have never once got a package on Sunday. I don't even get them on Saturday very often.

I do live in a smaller town, just a mile or two from a larger city. Corpus Christi is not as big as Austin for sure. But for Prime guaranteed 2 day shipping to take from Friday to Wednesday or later. If I do order during the rest of the week I get my package on average in 3 days.

I am so over Prime. I will not be signing up this year. I refuse to move to a huge city to get stuff when promised.

Weekends don't count in determining two day shipping. If it's after a certain time on Friday, it counts as being ordered on Monday, with Wednesday being two days. However, I usually get it closer to Monday or Tuesday if I order on Friday or Saturday............. part of it has to do with where the item is at that is being shipped. Not every item is at every warehouse.

I live in a small town too -- 2.5 hours from a major city, but I always get my Amazon Prime orders in two days.  Saturdays and Sundays are excluded, so if I order it on Friday, I won't get it until Tuesday.  Or, if I order it late on Friday -- I can't remember what the deadline is -- I might not get it until Wednesday.  The only exception to this for me has been Christmastime, when I have actually gotten packages on Sunday!  What has Amazon told you about the delays?

Having gone from living in the same state as their warehouse to cross country to Hawaii, I think it has less to do with Amazonand more to do with who they shipped it with. Being in Hawaii they can't honor their 2 day shipping, however their prices are so low including shipping then anywhere else so I use them all the time. If the item gets shipped FedEx or UPS, then it takes about a week. USPS can sometimes take a week, but has taken as long as 3 weeks.

I have purchased an Amazon Prime account of years. I have always, before this year gotten my packages in just 2 business days ( not including holidays). Lately if I order on Friday, I get packages on Wednesday through Friday. Seriously?

I ordered something for my grand baby on the 12th of Sept, and it was delivered to Austin on SUNDAY the 14th!! I have never once got a package on Sunday. I don't even get them on Saturday very often.

I do live in a smaller town, just a mile or two from a larger city. Corpus Christi is not as big as Austin for sure. But for Prime guaranteed 2 day shipping to take from Friday to Wednesday or later. If I do order during the rest of the week I get my package on average in 3 days.

I am so over Prime. I will not be signing up this year. I refuse to move to a huge city to get stuff when promised.

Well, I lived in a huge-ish (??) city, San Diego and Prime was getting rather sucky there for shipping at times. My two day shipping was turning into 3-5 day shipping.

I had an Amazon non-prime delivery show up this past Sunday (USPS). I was more than surprised, as I had no idea this was something that happened. Ever.

Me too! Weird! Luckily I had just read an article about that in the Wall Street Journal.

I remember when Saturday delivery was unheard-of for FedEx & UPS, but now that they're collaborating with USPS, packages are coming Saturdays --- and even Sundays.  Wacky.

According to the article, it's not just Prime orders that are being delivered on Sundays.

I get Amazon orders delivered to me on Sunday without Prime by USPS. My neighborhood is high dense though, my complex has close to 300 households. Next door complex is 700+ households. I see the Google shopping van everyday too.

ETA:

FedEx, UPS and DHL comes on Saturday here, sometimes three times daily. USPS has always deliver mail on Saturday.

When I read the title, I was thinking you were referring to Amazon Streaming, which I had been wanting to rant about, but hasn't gotten around to it.

I got a 30 day free trial of Prime when I was ordering a ton of stuff for my dd's birthday. I had no issues with the shipping time. However, my major incentive for Prime was not the shipping, but the streaming. I was so psyched to have access to all the Amazon programming on my mobile devices while on the treadmill, etc., with the quick shipping as a bonus.

I had a rude awakening when I got home to Canada and found Amazon streaming won't work AT ALL outside the US. Not different or limited programming, nothing. There was no warning about this and I was really peeved. I now use Netflix, which works on both sides of the border, albeit with varied content.

I just thought, for a company with branches in multiple countries (including Canada) and who prides themselves on the fact that you can download Kindle books from anywhere in the world, at least some parts of their Streaming programming would be available elsewhere. Nope. Big disappointment. No more Prime for me.

As others have said, make sure 2 day shipping is selected. If it is, then you need to contact Amazon. You would be eligible for an extension on your prime membership. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201117450

Note: If you received free shipping through Amazon Prime, you may be eligible for a free one-month extension when the promised delivery date isn't met. Prime Extensions (including Mom) are limited to one per free trial and 12 for an annual membership. Free Amazon Student Memberships do not qualify for this extension.