Menu

(Controversial content) a letter to girls in the pew in front of us...

Joanne

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we could have a vigorous debate over the patriarchal nature of our society. (In fact, it happens pretty regularly around here.) That isn't my intention though.

Looking through all I posted again I repeatedly said that I was speaking from my experience across many churches in many states. I also said that this one blog post isn't the danger, it's the bad theology that inspired it. THAT is what is dangerous. And, in my personal experience, is present to one degree or another in a shocking number of churches. The reason is because the THEOLOGY is like a vapor. It slips in and distills throughout the room. If it is just a little the air may make you gag or give youa slight spiritual headache after awhile. But if it is highly concentrated it has the potential to spiritually poison all those breathing it in.

We can discuss this all you like, but I would appreciate it very much if you don't take the whole of what I've written and summarize it as me saying the entire church is infested with people pushing patriarchy and all other opinions must be silenced.

The bolded sounds eerily like the mindset you are fighting against.  Perhaps what you were taught while young is still guiding your thoughts and reactions.  Perhaps since I never accepted this mindset while young (though I certainly was exposed to it), I am not disposed to accept it now either.

Well I think "modest is hottest" is ridiculous - I've never heard that before today.  (I agree with the comments about hypocrisy.)

As for the 2 piece bathing suit rule, I suspect that is based on the fact that some girls have been "pantsed" while swimming.  It is a rule to protect them from having that happen, and it has nothing to do with how modest a 2-piece is or whose fault anything is.  Many 2-piece suits are more modest than 1-piece suits.

The other stuff?  I am good with dress codes that discourage short shorts etc.  I won't even get into why because that's not what this thread is about IMO.

:confused1:  I have personally never ever read the swimsuit rules that way- actually, never ever heard of a girl getting "pantsed" while swimming. I'm sure that must be the reason somewhere, but every single time my girls have had to bring a 1-piece swimsuit it was ALWAYS because of "modesty" issues, and often it included the helpful bit about not causing boys to stumble. With even more helpful info about wearing shorts and baggy dark-colored t-shirts over the swimsuit would be appreciated.

I will not even tell the story of how my dear cousin was told BY HER CHURCH that even if she was just scuba diving with her HUSBAND she was to wear cullottes over her wetsuit. :glare:

I will never forget being pulled aside at church camp to be told that the fact I wasn't wearing a bra had made "some" (I suspect some=one) boys uncomfortable. Obviously the fact that he was looking at my tiny chest closely enough to see that I wasn't wearing a bra wasn't the problem. The problem was clearly me. Duh. I should wear a bra. Trouble being I was tiny chested enough that I basically only ever wore a bra under my softball jersey and in fact had no bra with me at camp to wear. It was the first day of a week long camp. I was I think 15, possibly 16. A range of "helpful solutions" to "my problem" were suggested, included but not limited to, borrowing a bra from a friend :p . I pointed out that even if I were in the habit of sharing underwear with my friends, I was by far the smallest busted girl among my friends and would have to stuff one of their bras for it to even fit and that seemed worse than not wearing one at all. I offered up a fake solution, saying I would wear a tank top layer if wearing a sleeveless blouse. The woman who was talking to me about it deemed this acceptable. She didn't realize that I was in fact wearing layers like that already and was wearing two shirts at the time this boy was apparently "made uncomfortable" by watching me dance with some friends to some opening night Christian music. My argument that he shouldn't be staring at me that hard was totally glossed over. The fact that I was braless continued to make waves for the entire time I went to that camp (4x a year annually through high school). One year I spent the summer camp not able to swim because they, without notice, changed the rule and said girls needed to wear one piece suits and I again, hadn't brought one (and my two piece wasn't anything revealing either).

aaaaand according to the modesty survey (sorry forget where it was linked from) seeing the outline of a girls bra was a potential stumbling block. You just can't win. :cursing:

The bolded sounds eerily like the mindset you are fighting against. Perhaps what you were taught while young is still guiding your thoughts and reactions. Perhaps since I never accepted this mindset while young (though I certainly was exposed to it), I am not disposed to accept it now either.

It sounds like the mindset I'm fighting against?

Maybe my reading comprehension is off tonight.

Could you elaborate?

My kids are almost grown, and I haven't been exposed to a lot of this either, despite attending many different kinds of churches over the past 40+ years. 

There was a woman at a Baptist Church who ran the women's Bible study who was a bit gossipy and judgmental, but I recognized that as HER issue, not necessarily a "Baptist" issue, even in those far younger days before I had kids.  I remember having a lecture from her directed specifically toward me about how "women" were to aim to have a "gentle and quiet spirit."  I was really in scripture a lot in those days, and I sought out and got an answer on that one almost immediately.  I heard plain as day (in my head) that the point was to have a gentle and quiet SPIRIT (meaning at peace with all), NOT a gentle and quiet PERSONALITY, which is entirely different.  We all have different personalities based on our roles and experiences. '

I had exactly the personality I was supposed to have, and also the gentle and quiet SPIRIT.  She simply didn't understand the difference. 

Like scripture says, "Whatever you get, get WISDOM". 

Oh my gosh- THANK YOU SO MUCH!  The obvious always escapes me- but this is literally life-changing for me!  :crying:  How did I miss that all these years? :cursing:

Well, to her credit, Joanne did title this post with Controversial Content. Looks like she said something right.

I am reading the book by the Duggar girls. It seems to me that all this focus on what is "modest" does nothing but place undue emphasis on appearance.

:confused1:  I have personally never ever read the swimsuit rules that way- actually, never ever heard of a girl getting "pantsed" while swimming. I'm sure that must be the reason somewhere, but every single time my girls have had to bring a 1-piece swimsuit it was ALWAYS because of "modesty" issues, and often it included the helpful bit about not causing boys to stumble. With even more helpful info about wearing shorts and baggy dark-colored t-shirts over the swimsuit would be appreciated.

I will not even tell the story of how my dear cousin was told BY HER CHURCH that even if she was just scuba diving with her HUSBAND she was to wear cullottes over her wetsuit. :glare:

To the bolded: Uh, yeah. Because that sounds really safe. :001_rolleyes:

As to the rest, yeah, I've never heard of that as some sort of wide-spread issue, either. And if it's an issue that the girls might get "pantsed," why aren't we making the boys wear one-piece swimming outfits so they don't get pantsed, either?

Under water alone with her dh?  Did they have modesty guidelines for TeA Time?  

As to the rest, yeah, I've never heard of that as some sort of wide-spread issue, either. And if it's an issue that the girls might get "pantsed," why aren't we making the boys where one-piece swimming outfits so they don't get pantsed, either?

Or, how about the instant the boy (or girl) pulls down anybody's swimsuit they are sent home and banned for life? :huh:

That is, anyone older than a toddler who accidentally pulls down his own poor mommy or daddy's swimsuit.  I'm not an unreasonably mean person.

That is quite possibly the most ridiculous example of the modest patrol run completely amok. I wouldn't be able to stop myself from laughing in their faces.'

aaaaand according to the modesty survey (sorry forget where it was linked from) seeing the outline of a girls bra was a potential stumbling block. You just can't win. :cursing:

Making it so that girls are damned coming and going is the whole point though, right?

Maybe the only answer is an elective double mastectomy. Binding our chests in ace bandages like FTM trans men do?

This does remind me that I would really like my tiny breasts back. These things have stuck around post breastfeeding and I for one am not really happy about that. Bras are expensive and uncomfortable. I much preferred not needing one.

Rebel Yell, on 01 Sept 2014 - 8:15 PM, said:snapback.png

That is quite possibly the most ridiculous example of the modest patrol run completely amok. I wouldn't be able to stop myself from laughing in their faces.'

Well, it is a more extreme example, but it really is connected to the original post/blog. She tried hard to believe it was the right thing to do, and the husband believed he was being a good husband by following the rules.

Fortunately, this IS an extreme example- but they were trying hard to follow what they had been taught. And they had been taught that female shaped is bad.

I have to say, I have also seen modest swimwear- marketed to Muslim women, I believe. I fully respect that- and the suit is clearly swimwear, and I'm sure works very well for swimming.  Much better than blillowy heavy cotton cullottes.

And I myself wear capri-length swim tights/leggings.  Not because I care who sees my legs, but because *I* don;t want to see my short, fat, lumpy ol'lady legs. I wear them with a spaghetti strap tankini top and a swim skirt.  This is for *my* own personal comfort.

:huh: So then what am I supposed to do about my, um, tookus? Because the girls aren't much of a stumbling block, but my booty, well...that's another story.

Clearly you are supposed to wrap your trunk up in yards of burlap until it is impossible to tell where your badonka donk ends and your waist starts.

As to the rest, yeah, I've never heard of that as some sort of wide-spread issue, either. And if it's an issue that the girls might get "pantsed," why aren't we making the boys wear one-piece swimming outfits so they don't get pantsed, either?

I thought perhaps SKL meant what might be called "pantsed be nature." Dive in. Drawers end up at your knees. That sort of thing.

I don't understand all you hussies announcing to the world that you're wearing yoga pants. Don't you know men might be reading this thread? Who knows what the very thought of all these homeschooling moms in yoga pants might do to them?!? I won't say what I'm wearing, because I don't want to be responsible for the thoughts that may occur. ;)

Well I think "modest is hottest" is ridiculous - I've never heard that before today. (I agree with the comments about hypocrisy.)

As for the 2 piece bathing suit rule, I suspect that is based on the fact that some girls have been "pantsed" while swimming. It is a rule to protect them from having that happen, and it has nothing to do with how modest a 2-piece is or whose fault anything is. Many 2-piece suits are more modest than 1-piece suits.

The other stuff? I am good with dress codes that discourage short shorts etc. I won't even get into why because that's not what this thread is about IMO.

Why would these pantsing freaks limit themselves to swim time? The girls weren't required to wear overalls or those heinous overall dresses for the rest of camp. And again, that's forcing a girl to change her behavior to prevent someone from an unwanted touching or ogling.

Rebel Yell, on 01 Sept 2014 - 8:15 PM, said:snapback.png

Well, it is a more extreme example, but it really is connected to the original post/blog. She tried hard to believe it was the right thing to do, and the husband believed he was being a good husband by following the rules.

Fortunately, this IS an extreme example- but they were trying hard to follow what they had been taught. And they had been taught that female shaped is bad.

I have to say, I have also seen modest swimwear- marketed to Muslim women, I believe. I fully respect that- and the suit is clearly swimwear, and I'm sure works very well for swimming.  Much better than blillowy heavy cotton cullottes.

And I myself wear capri-length swim tights/leggings.  Not because I care who sees my legs, but because *I* don;t want to see my short, fat, lumpy ol'lady legs. I wear them with a spaghetti strap tankini top and a swim skirt.  This is for *my* own personal comfort.

I was a big swimmer pre-hijab. After, I used to swim in full on abaya and hijab and with that heavy clothing, it seems like a pretty significant drowning risk even for a strong swimmer but between not swim vs that, I chose to swim like that. Then I found some website selling the Islamic swimsuits and my dad bought them for all the women in my family and the first swim with one on was amazing. The good ones have the same material as swimsuit material so you can still feel the water through the suit on your skin and it doesn't become heavy or cumbersome at all. It is like wearing a light wetsuit. Love those! 

I was a big swimmer pre-hijab. After, I used to swim in full on abaya and hijab and with that heavy clothing, it seems like a pretty significant drowning risk even for a strong swimmer but between not swim vs that, I chose to swim like that. Then I found some website selling the Islamic swimsuits and my dad bought them for all the women in my family and the first swim with one on was amazing. The good ones have the same material as swimsuit material so you can still feel the water through the suit on your skin and it doesn't become heavy or cumbersome at all. It is like wearing a light wetsuit. Love those!

Some of the pools near my house have women only swim session for women who cover for religious reasons. I believe the swim suits are still quite modest but it allows mothers and daughters to play in the water and fitness swimmers to swim laps without any men around. I think that's a neat idea.

Why would these pantsing freaks limit themselves to swim time? The girls weren't required to wear overalls or those heinous overall dresses for the rest of camp. And again, that's forcing a girl to change her behavior to prevent someone from an unwanted touching or ogling.

Yeah, if some dude ripped off my swim suit that's not a fun joke pants-ing. That's a sex crime. Hello. If a man is inclined to do something like that, no one piece suit is going to protect a woman or save him from himself.

Keep.your.hands.to.yourself. Not a hard concept.

Some of the pools near my house have women only swim session for women who cover for religious reasons. I believe the swim suits are still quite modest but it allows mothers and daughters to play in the water and fitness swimmers to swim laps without any men around. I think that's a neat idea.

Yes, I love those. One of the 'Y's here let the Muslim community rent out the pool for women on certain evenings and I've been meaning to make it over there (it is on the opposite side of the city so it is a drive). Where we used to live, my family had a pool so I could swim in that without any concern.

I don't understand all you hussies announcing to the world that you're wearing yoga pants. Don't you know men might be reading this thread? Who knows what the very thought of all these homeschooling moms in yoga pants might do to them?!? I won't say what I'm wearing, because I don't want to be responsible for the thoughts that may occur. ;)

If the thought of me curled up on my couch nursing a headache and hinky shoulder while wearing cropped gray sweat pants and a pretty thin black t-shirt is a stumbling block, I say let'em stumble.

Because they're ugly? ;)

Think of all the ghastly fashions we could be spared if the litmus test for someone being able to wear something or not was if the garment was ugly.

Men would stop wearing those oversized billowy swim shorts with pockets that keep sliding down because they all seem to buy 2 sizes up.

Think of all the ghastly fashions we could be spared if the litmus test for someone being able to wear something or not was if the garment was ugly.

Men would stop wearing those oversized billowy swim shorts with pockets that keep sliding down because they all seem to buy 2 sizes up.

And they would start pulling up their pants and putting on a belt.

How do they manage not to fall on their faces when the crotch of their pants is practically around their knees? And how do the pants not end up around their ankles?

Proof positive that I am old. I actually wonder about these things.

But thank goodness my ds14 hates that look, too.

Hammerpants and adult onsies.....the fashion don'ts that never were!

Careful what you wish for - they may then start wearing Speedos.

I'll risk it. Anything is better than those clown pants flapping around. Ever notice that male swimmers don't wear what most men buy to swim in?

My husband wears something like the speedo aqua shorts and I vastly prefer them to the baggy styles. At least his suit *stays put* and covers his entire rear end. ;)

http://www.swiminn.com/swimming/speedo-monogram-aquashort-black-white-man/101139/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=414744&country=us&gclid=CJX7hKa0wcACFVGTfgodr74ABQ

I fell for it again. Failed to investigate the author.

I've been trying to ignore twenty-somethings who know everything on the internet but it only works if I remember to check for age instead of just reading for content and style. I'm new to sweeping generalization and bias (e.g."twenty-somethings who know everything on the internet should be ignored") but I'll get the hang of it.

LOVE this!! I completely agree. :-)

The bolded sounds eerily like the mindset you are fighting against.  Perhaps what you were taught while young is still guiding your thoughts and reactions.  Perhaps since I never accepted this mindset while young (though I certainly was exposed to it), I am not disposed to accept it now either.

It sounds like the mindset I'm fighting against?

Maybe my reading comprehension is off tonight.

Could you elaborate?

Oh wait.

I'm catching up to you now I think.

The idea that patriarchal theological ideals are insidious is like the patriarchy moments assertions that worldlyness is like a little leavening ruining the batch.

Gotcha.

I must say that my initial reaction to this is hostility. I mean if I were adding a song to the One Step Closer to Whoredom album about this exchange it would definitely be more death metal than Maria in style.

I will try rereading it in the morning, post coffee.

I'll risk it. Anything is better than those clown pants flapping around. Ever notice that male swimmers don't wear what most men buy to swim in?

My husband wears something like the speedo aqua shorts and I vastly prefer them to the baggy styles. At least his suit *stays put* and covers his entire rear end. ;)

http://www.swiminn.com/swimming/speedo-monogram-aquashort-black-white-man/101139/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=414744&country=us&gclid=CJX7hKa0wcACFVGTfgodr74ABQ

Speedos- the male equivalent of the yoga pant.

So will One Step Closer To Whoredom have male dancers sporting these?

I've made many a man stumble. Try standing behind someone in line or in public in full black with a face veil. When they turn around, 80% of the time, they either jump, stumble, or combine the two. The worst stumble ever happened when I had to stop one time and grab something but I was wearing eye makeup so I put the thing down that covers your eyes too just to run in. Hahaha, the guy in front of me in line not only stumbled but yelped. I can't blame him, with that particular one and with the eyes unexposed, you look almost identical to a ringwraith.

When my son was four we were at the airport for a 6am flight, so the lights were still low and it was the sun was just starting to peak out outside the terminal.  The windows were about four rows in front of us.  As this poor woman walked past the darkened windows, with early morning light backlighting her, in full black garb and full face veil completely covering her head, walking at a good clip so she had a little material flowing behind her, my delight morning bird of son who wouldn't know a quiet voice if it hit him over the head announced to the still echoie terminal

"MOM LOOK!!! IT'S DARTH VADAR!!!"  And he was completely serious. 

In the end, while I could have briefly died on the spot, I ended up cracking up.  I figured either the woman wouldn't understand him, notice him, or had heard worse things and let's face it, from a four year, DV is pretty high praise. 

I ended up feeling worse for the poor woman sitting right across me. When he said it she started choking badly on her cereal and yet couldn't stop laughing at the same time.  She had 8 and 10 year old boys.  I am sure she had BTDT....

So see even at that young age, you turn their heads and make them fixate on you!!  LOL!!  

When my son was four we were at the airport for a 6am flight, so the lights were still low and it was the sun was just starting to peak out outside the terminal.  The windows were about four rows in front of us.  As this poor woman walked past the darkened windows, with early morning light backlighting her, in full black garb and full face veil completely covering her head, walking at a good clip so she had a little material flowing behind her, my delight morning bird of son who wouldn't know a quiet voice if it hit him over the head announced to the still echoie terminal

"MOM LOOK!!! IT'S DARTH VADAR!!!"  And he was completely serious. 

In the end, while I could have briefly died on the spot, I ended up cracking up.  I figured either the woman wouldn't understand him, notice him, or had heard worse things and let's face it, from a four year, DV is pretty high praise. 

I ended up feeling worse for the poor woman sitting right across me. When he said it she started choking badly on her cereal and yet couldn't stop laughing at the same time.  She had 8 and 10 year old boys.  I am sure she had BTDT....

So see even at that young age, you turn their heads and make them fixate on you!!  LOL!!  

Oh dear. I hope that lady did know so she could go home and self-flagellate for leading your boy astray and making him stumble like that.  :closedeyes:

:lol:  Actually though, this happened to me one time. I think they said I was a mummy though? It was around Halloween-time. I was laughing but his mom was SO embarrassed and I felt bad for her. I smiled (even though he couldn't see) and waved and that made him happy. Doesn't always work though, I did that another time and that kid basically clutched their mom and hid their head in fear when I waved at them. A few times, I've heard kids ask if I'm a ninja. Of course, when I hear that, I always strike a ninja pose and put up my hands like I'm going to karate chop, natch.

I have heard there's a psychological reason for this. Some men cannot bear to buy pants in a size "small," even if they ARE. AND IT WOULD FIT.

Oh my gosh- THANK YOU SO MUCH!  The obvious always escapes me- but this is literally life-changing for me!  :crying:  How did I miss that all these years? :cursing:

Glad it helped, but it wasn't my thought.  I was praying, "God...is this woman right?" and it dropped right into my brain as a direct answer.  I've gotten only a very few of those in my life, and this was one, I believe.

It set me free from that bondage, that's for sure! 

Since God's word always is confirmed by two or three witnesses (minimum), when my Mother later said to a helper I hired to help her at home, knowing nothing about the above, "(My name) saved my life, being a fighter who won't let go, and she kept me out of a nursing home", well...I felt good.

Then my doctor called me when she died and said the same thing.  3 sources of the same confirmation.  ;)

I have heard there's a psychological reason for this. Some men cannot bear to buy pants in a size "small," even if they ARE. AND IT WOULD FIT.

Yeah, I have noticed the smallest mens size in discount stores like Target is often "medium" and then it goes up to XXXL. :P

Sort of vanity sizing for men but just the opposite of what it is for women.

My kids went to a 4-H camp this summer, and they had the one-piece swimsuit rule.  Pretty sure it had nothing to do with religious hang-ups.

As many have agreed, there are many two-piece swimsuits that are more modest than one-piece ones.

Personally as an adult, I hate that it is so hard to find a swimsuit that is practical without looking sexy.  (Mostly I just don't go swimming.)  But my kids are 7yo and they don't look sexy in any kind of swimsuit.  I tend to prefer two-piecers for them so they can easily use the bathroom, but if they have to wear a one-piece or not swim, then a one-piece it is.

The boys do wear one-piece swim trunks.  ;)

At my kids' 4-H camp, the rule was not stated differently for girls and boys.  ("One piece swimsuit.")

And again, that's forcing a girl to change her behavior to prevent someone from an unwanted touching or ogling.

I don't see this as a problem though, at least not in the case of a one-piece bathing suit, which is not an oppressive article of clothing.  It seems preferable to being reactive after girls have been victimized.