Menu

Those of you who converted from Protestant to Catholic

freeindeed

Why? What drew you to do so? How has your spiritiual life improved or changed? Do you feel more fulfilled? I am feeling a pull to Catholicism. I don't know if I can articulate it well, but I'll try. I have been in Baptist churches all of my life. I became a Christian at the age of 9. I have not always lived as I should, and I have seasons of feeling very close to God and seasons of feeling very distant. Lately I have been feeling completely apathetic. My husband is an elder and a worship leader at our Baptist church, and he is involved in almost everything that takes place there. If I did convert, it would be difficult on our marriage and our kids. Our youngest is special needs (much more severe than we were told during adoption process) and my oldest child returned from a tour of duty in Afghanistan a hostile atheist, and those things have caused me to reevaluate everything I know about God. Also, I've been wrestling with the whole suffering in the world in general issue, as well as why God spares some lives while taking others. I know that I will not find complete answers this side of Heaven, but I continue to feel this pull to Catholicism. I feel like I am floundering and lacking direction. I need structure and solid ground. I believe that I could find that in Catholicism.

Why? What drew you to do so? How has your spiritiual life improved or changed? Do you feel more fulfilled? I am feeling a pull to Catholicism. I don't know if I can articulate it well, but I'll try. I have been in Baptist churches all of my life. I became a Christian at the age of 9. I have not always lived as I should, and I have seasons of feeling very close to God and seasons of feeling very distant. Lately I have been feeling completely apathetic. My husband is an elder and a worship leader at our Baptist church, and he is involved in almost everything that takes place there. If I did convert, it would be difficult on our marriage and our kids. Our youngest is special needs (much more severe than we were told during adoption process) and my oldest child returned from a tour of duty in Afghanistan a hostile atheist, and those things have caused me to reevaluate everything I know about God. Also, I've been wrestling with the whole suffering in the world in general issue, as well as why God spares some lives while taking others. I know that I will not find complete answers this side of Heaven, but I continue to feel this pull to Catholicism. I feel like I am floundering and lacking direction. I need structure and solid ground. I believe that I could find that in Catholicism.

Because I came to believe that the Catholic Church did have the truth. The more I read, and the more I listened to knowledgeable Catholics talk about their faith, and explain and discuss what the Catholic Church *really* teaches (as opposed to what I used to think the Church teaches) the more I came to believe that the Church does have as complete a truth as it is possible to have this side of Heaven. :-)

These are the two forums which were most helpful to me in my search: The Coming Home Network and Defenders of the Catholic Faith. I also listen to Relevant Radio, a Catholic station. There may or

may not be an affiliate where you live, but you can download an app and listen.

I have been Home for four years, praise God. :-)

Well,  my situation isn't quite straight forward.  I was baptized a Catholic as an infant, but my mother left the church soon thereafter.  Growing up we went to various protestant churches, of no particular affiliation, baptist, methodist, various version _____ Church of God and _______ of Christ.  We were not "regular" attenders at any of these places.  My mother used to have what I called "religious moods" (usually meaning she had met a new friend and got invited to church and the church going was directly tied to the friendship and lasted just about exactly as long.

I did learn something about the love of God in a general way in these places.  Mostly, I just learned that I was a sinner, and that I was supposed to "get saved", but it was never made clear what "getting saved" meant.  It seemed like I was supposed to "get saved" on a regular basis.  I came to understand that "backsliding" was bad, but it was never clear how or if, that had anything to do with my "saved" status.  These are just my reflections from a childish understanding and not necessarily meant to represent any full understanding of their theology (I'm not sure that all of these places HAD a formally articulated theology, to be honest....there was more of a "sense" of Christianity, than a definition, which is a both good and bad,  I think).

The thing that I was ALWAYS uncomfortable with, even as a very young child, was the emotive nature of the worship services and the judgement that (I felt) was attached to it.  It seemed to me, as a child, that there was a pressure to "prove" how much of a Christian you were by how much weeping, dancing, etc you did during the worship services.  I couldn't have articulated it thusly then, but now I would call it a carefully cultivated mass hysteria.  Not that the people were hysterical, per se, but that there was a belief that a "true" worship service consisted mainly of getting oneself all "whipped up" into an emotional state.  Kinda like how one feels when one falls in love at the beginning.  The problem, of course, is that it's not sustainable (at least not for me).  It needs to grow into something more. 

Also, even as a child, I was always intrigued by the .........mystery?  and holiness? that seemed to surround Catholic churches and priests and all of the "smells and bells".  It seemed somehow more real to me than a bunch of people getting "whipped up" and weeping and shouting.  Eventually, I started reading and understanding what the Church teaches and how protestantism (a word I didn't even know until I started doing this reading) was just woefully incomplete.  The Bible made sense to me for the first time!  When my oldest was 2 I (and my family) returned to the Church of my birth (and my husband's, who was also baptized as an infant but never went to church at all) and I completed my sacraments.

How has my spiritual life improved?  Well, I would say that I have one, for a start.  Not that protestants don't.  But where I went to churches before the spiritual life seemed to consist only of getting "whipped up", which I never felt authentic doing (even as a child) and wouldn't have been sustainable in any case.  I'm sure it's different in other protestant churches.  I understand suffering, and uniting my suffering to Jesus on the cross.  I understand the Eucharist and what the last supper truly was.  I turn to the examples of the saints for how to live and become as holy as I can (so very much to do).  I feel myself tied to the Church founded by Jesus Christ, against which the gates of hell will not prevail, and KNOW that I am on solid ground, even as my own legs are so very weak.  The Church has the fullness of the truth and I cannot go wrong, because Jesus promised it would be so when he renamed Simon into Peter, and gave us our first shepherd.

Ok, that's a lot, and not nearly sufficient. Pray for guidance and read and then pray some more.

I am probably going to enter RCIA in the fall. I have been Methodist, Episcopalian, Lutheran, and now looking at Catholic. What kept me from Catholicism in the past was misconceptions about what Catholicism actually is, and I think these misconceptions are what keeps many people from Catholicism. It was the first church. It has the backing of tradition, and it adheres to traditional moral values. Please PM if you'd like more details.

This thread doesn't directly apply to me as I'm not a convert, but I wanted to let you know (in case you didn't) that there are RCIA classes which many churches start in August or September. You would need to complete this process to become Catholic, but you don't have to become Catholic to attend the classes.

A little OT - Not sure what the RCIA is, but interested in learning more.  Could you elaborate?

My primary reason for starting the RCIA classes and ultimately convert to the Catholic faith was that my dh and I wanted to be united in our faith when we raised a family. Even prior to meeting my dh, I had been drawn to the Catholic church and interested in learning more about it, so it was a very easy "sell" for me. The more I learned, the more I appreciated it.

Since my bias is for family unity, I suggest you really take your time in this process of exploring the Catholic faith. Ultimately, it would be wonderful to have both you and dh united in your faith (in whatever way that works well for you both) so it can act as a support and strength for your marriage and not a wedge between you. I really do believe that there are many paths to Jesus. The Catholic faith can be a wonderful discipline on the faith journey, but I wouldn't say it's the only way.

A little OT - Not sure what the RCIA is, but interested in learning more.  Could you elaborate?

RCIA is the Rite of Catholic Initiation of Adults. Usually is begins in the fall and goes to Easter, when Catecumens can be baptized, and confirmed and receive their First Communion. There is also an opportunity to make a first Confession before first communion. You can find out at your local parish about how often, class size, etc. Usually lay-persons lead the courses, with priests interjecting at special times.

A little OT - Not sure what the RCIA is, but interested in learning more. Could you elaborate?

Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults. Usually a 9-10 month class (depending on when Easter falls, lol) beginning in August/September. At its best potential converts learn about the Church, her official teachings (not what others think She teaches), etc and at the end are received into the Church during the Great Vigil.

There is no obligation to become Catholic if you attend RCIA. You can call a parish local to you for more details.

I grew up in a Baptist church and dh in a Presbyterian. I felt drawn to the Catholic church for a while before I approached dh about it. Dh is an atheist but is more involved in the Catholic church than any before it and I see him trying more than any other time. We have all been in RCIA for a year now and will be officially part of the church this Easter. Our RCIA is longer because our dds have not been baptized and we decided to do this as a family. It's been amazing.

I did a lot of reading and researching and felt drawn to the tradition and history of it all. It felt more right, the more I learned and researched. I feel a peace that I hadn't felt previously. I also find comfort in the structure. I just know that we are in the right place and am excited for our future within the Church.

The thing that I was ALWAYS uncomfortable with, even as a very young child, was the emotive nature of the worship services and the judgement that (I felt) was attached to it.  It seemed to me, as a child, that there was a pressure to "prove" how much of a Christian you were by how much weeping, dancing, etc you did during the worship services.  I couldn't have articulated it thusly then, but now I would call it a carefully cultivated mass hysteria.  Not that the people were hysterical, per se, but that there was a belief that a "true" worship service consisted mainly of getting oneself all "whipped up" into an emotional state.  Kinda like how one feels when one falls in love at the beginning.  The problem, of course, is that it's not sustainable (at least not for me).  It needs to grow into something more. 

Yes. This. I am feeling so out of place at my church lately.

Thank you to all who have answered. You have given me a lot to think about and helped me to take the next step in my journey.

:grouphug:

Let me say this: I was not unhappy being in the non-Catholic Christian church. :-) Since 1974, I have been very involved in every church Mr. Ellie and I attended. I've sung in the choir, been the nursery coordinator, taught Sunday school, been trained as a Precept Bible study leader and lead Precept studies, have been the women's ministries leader, and have been a Missionettes coordinator; Mr. Ellie is a Gideon, and I was a member of the Auxiliary (wives of Gideons), the secretary/treasurer of the California/Nevada North state association, and held local offices in our groups in California and in Texas. I have been happy and spiritually fulfilled.

I was driving to a class one night, looking for a talk radio station as the ones I usually listen to were broadcasting some kind of sports, and I found one that sounded interesting, clearly a Christian speaker. And after awhile I realized that he was Catholic. :blink: I was totally fascinated and amazed, because I agreed with almost everything that he said. I listened to that station every time I got in the car, and I began to think that if I agreed with so much that the Church was teaching, maybe I would agree with the other things if I understood them more. And here I am. There's a deep, deep richness in the Catholic Church that I didn't know I was missing, and am so glad that I have found.

ETA: Mr. Ellie is still a Gideon, still a deacon at his Assembly of God church (until recently), still the IT guy at his church. It was a little strange at first, being a divided family, but we have made it work. :-)

ETA: Mr. Ellie is still a Gideon, still a deacon at his Assembly of God church (until recently), still the IT guy at his church. It was a little strange at first, being a divided family, but we have made it work. :-)

That is very encouraging to hear. I'm just not sure what our kids would do. Plus, my youngest has severe special needs, so that's a factor to consider in attending any church. I miss a lot of church to be at home with her. We have a nursery, but it is seriously understaffed and is only open for daytime services on Sunday. There is no nursery on Sunday nights or Wednesday nights. I volunteer in the nursery on a rotating basis, so I'm not complaining about an issue without contributing. ;)

When my children were younger I tried to find the 'most right' Church by comparing Bible verses.  I never once considered the Catholic Church (although I did think it was beautiful ), because they did things that were obviously not in the Bible.  I remember thinking you could look up verses that seemed  to support each Church's teaching ( I could find verses that made it seem like you had to be baptised and then find verses that made it seem like you didn't, for example), so how could I ever compare and know for sure?  I was really troubled  and so I prayed about it.  There were lots of different things that I noticed after that prayer that finally ended with us joining the Catholic Church. This included small things like just how holy EWTN looked compared with some of the other religious channels and bigger things, also.  I think the main thing, though, was when I read that the Bible never said that it was to be the ultimate authority. That really started to open my eyes.

God Bless.  I will pray for you and your family.

Ultimately, I came to the Catholic Church because I was being called home. My situation is a bit different because I walked away from our Protestant church and was out of church for many years before converting to Catholicism. In hindsight, God knew what He was doing and that long stretch of desert was necessary. Part of me always knew I was to be Catholic. When I finally began to study, all the contradictions that I thought were there, that made me walk away years before, disappeared. I saw the Bible differently, in a way that didn't make me suspend my reason to "make it all fit". There were answers, real answers, and not just "you have to have faith" type answers. History supported the Church, and what little I've read of the early Church Fathers, what we do today is so very similar to what they did almost two thousand years ago, down to prayers said during Mass. 

Spiritually, I have found peace. I no longer feel I have to make it up as I go, relying on the Holy Spirit to convict me on things such as Bible interpretation. I don't have to read a bunch of various opinions and decide which one I agree with the most. I don't need to find a church that teaches what I believe. The Liturgy, the Catechism, the teachings of the Fathers and Doctors of the Church, the Holy Father ... these all give me a deep peace that someone has already interpreted those verses many, many years ago, and they are still being taught the same way. In the Catholic Church I am learning what it means to pick up my cross and follow Him, what it means to love God's law, and how there truly is a great cloud of witnesses surrounding us who have walked this path before me. 

The Church gives me tangible, sense-engaging (sensual - though obviously not in a s@xual way) ways to experience God. The feel of the Rosary beads in my hands while I pray, the Corpus on the Crucifix that I can reach out and touch, the candles and incense, and sound of bells at the moment of Consecration. We need these things - we need to smell, touch, see, hear, and taste. And finally, I have the Eucharist, which without all the rest of it, would be enough for me for the rest of my life. It truly is Home. 

I haven't read the other comments, I'll just give my answer of how I went from Fundamentalist to Agnostic to Catholic:

It came down to two things:  the move from agnosticism to religion was based on a deep belief in fundamental truths/principles, and a deep distrust of relativism and utilitarianism. 

Going from accepting a God figure to Catholicism was related to authority.  Without an authoritative teaching body and leader, the protestant idea of each person interpreting the Bible simply leads to another type of relativism, which is why we can have many, many Christians who disagree on even the most hot-button issues of morality, each using the Bible to defend the position. 

So if I accept the Christian paradigm (which I did after reading a lot of Chesterton and Lewis) then it made sense to me to accept the teaching authority of the RC Church.  To simplify even more, I accept Jesus's words to Peter as being his direct instruction and endorsement to create the Church which is now the RCC. 

I hope your search brings you and your family insight.  I converted against the wishes of an agnostic husband, and it is not always easy to juggle the new dynamic!

That is very encouraging to hear. I'm just not sure what our kids would do. Plus, my youngest has severe special needs, so that's a factor to consider in attending any church. I miss a lot of church to be at home with her. We have a nursery, but it is seriously understaffed and is only open for daytime services on Sunday. There is no nursery on Sunday nights or Wednesday nights. I volunteer in the nursery on a rotating basis, so I'm not complaining about an issue without contributing. ;)

Unless her needs make traveling impossible, bring her to mass if you decide to start attending.  One thing about being Catholic is that we are worldwide and mass is very, very diverse (even in my deeply rural area) and that includes people with special needs.  We have one young lady (I'm really not sure how old she is, she seems young, but may be grown) in a wheelchair who sits right in front and drools, and flops her limbs about, and occasionally has a loud outburst.  No one is phased by this. 

One thing you will find is that most parishes do not have a nursery at all.  There are often what are called "cry rooms" where a parent can take a baby/toddler who is having a meltdown or needs nursed/changed, but no one staffs them.  They are usually situated so that you can still see mass through a large window and there are speakers so you can hear and go out for communion when it's time.

For example, I imagine you'll want/need your marriage blessed in the Church if you become Catholic. I think until this is done you may be unable to receive Holy Communion (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). And there are expectations for you to raise your children Catholic if I'm not mistaken.

She'll need to have her marriage validated, that is looked into to insure that it IS valid.  The Church recognizes the vast majority of protestant marriages to be valid, as long as the protestant church that performed it is trinitarian (most are), so that mostly leaves out Mormons, JWs, a few "oneness" pentocostals, etc.  If the marriage is not valid, then they will  need to be married in the Church.  If the marriage is valid, they don't need to do anything.

There will also be issues with validity if one of them has a divorce.  That's more complicated and they will need someone to walk them through it.

ETA: and yes, as a Catholic, there is an expectation that you raise your children as Catholics (obviously, if you believe that the Church has the truth, you would want your children to have the truth).  How, exactly, that works out can vary depending on situation (for ex., you can't force a teen to convert who isn't convinced, but you have a duty to share the truth with them as best as you can and continue in an encouraging, loving way to lead them in the right direction).

I am not Catholic and am not considering "converting" (I say that in quotes because I do not believe in the whole Protestant vs. Catholic as it relates to Christianity.  I believe they are both Christian, so the term converting doesn't really apply *for me.*  However, I do know the official stance of the Catholic Church and they do call it converting, so for that sake I will use the term.

A friend became Catholic several years ago.  He was in a church (Presbyterian) and they were going through a lot of their changing of official policy on several doctrinal issues.  He was tired of dealing with the changes and after researching, he found that the Catholic Church's doctrines haven't changed in thousands of years and won't.  He found comfort in that.

A book I read years ago, called Evangelical is Not Enough, was helpful to me in understanding Catholicism a bit better.

I wish you well on your journey.

The validating the marriage thing is pretty simple in most cases.

Exceptions being if one partner is already Catholic and had previously married. Then there may need to be an official annulment of previous marriage.

The RCIA classes I went through were taught by the parish priest and he did an excellent job. My advice is to ask lots of questions, and if you aren't satisfied with the answers keep asking. Make sure you fully understand the teachings of the Church.

The validating the marriage thing is pretty simple in most cases.

Exceptions being if one partner is already Catholic and had previously married. Then there may need to be an official annulment of previous marriage.

The RCIA classes I went through were taught by the parish priest and he did an excellent job. My advice is to ask lots of questions, and if you aren't satisfied with the answers keep asking. Make sure you fully understand the teachings of the Church.

Yes, validating of marriages is usually simple, however a divorce is going to be an issue whether or not either partner has ever been Catholic.  If the marriage was performed in a Christian (trinitarian) church, it has the assumption of validity, therefore there will have to be deeper investigations into the validity of the "previous" (I use quotes because if *that* marriage was performed in a Christian church, then IT has the assumption of validity and the current marriage has the assumption of invalidity, pending a full investigation to determine otherwise) marriage.

I was born into a nominally Catholic home. My grandparents were very devout but my mother was not and my father was agnostic. My grandparents made sure that I received all my Sacraments of Initiation (baptism, First Holy Communion, and Confirmation). I liked Church but it wasn't a very important part of my life. My husband and I were married in the Catholic Church even though he was a Protestant. When we had our first child I began to see how important raising a child in Church would be. Then we moved near my in-laws who are very sincere born-again Pentecostals. I had never really been around people like that. They were so passionate about their faith. I began going to their Bible studies and learned so much. Their church had all kinds of programs for children and groups for moms. I was blown away. Our Catholic Church had nothing like that. I never took into consideration that there would be different dogmas and that it would ever even matter to me. We're all Christians, right? So right before our second child was born we just started going to the Assemblies of God church. I enjoyed the energy and the people were so caring. I was impressed by how people lived their faith on the outside and were vocal about it. But I never really felt comfortable. We went on to have two more children and we were very involved with the AG church. We believed it was important for our kids to be around other strong Christians. Within a few years I was really really unhappy and I didn't know why. I would cry out to God. I begged Him to have a relationship with me. I felt like something was wrong with me. I longed to be close to Him. To make a very long story shorter after 15 years as a Protestant I had what I can only describe as a Holy Spirit moment and found myself in the confessional of our local Catholic Church. I was terrified. I didn't know why God wanted me there. I kept thinking, "I don't need a priest to listen to my confession. I can do that alone with God." But I knew this is what He wanted me to do. I walked into the confessional and barely remembered how to make a confession. I was very honest with the priest and I cried as I poured out my heart to him. I told him I didn't know what to do and how I ended up in there. He assured me that it was the Holy Spirit. He was so kind and reassuring. He told me to just come to Mass sometime and see where God was leading me. I walked out of Church that day a new person. I literally felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I had peace again for the first time in years. But I had a HUGE dilemma. The rest of my family was AG. Very AG. My husband was supportive of me and we tried to figure out how to make this all work out. Basically I went to Mass occasionally and then I attended the AG church with the family. I fell more in love with Catholicism and felt less and less comfortable with Protestantism. I began reading. I read Catholicism for Dummies first. Then I read How to Go from Being a Good Evangelical to a Committed Catholic in Ninety-Five Difficult Steps. That book really changed how I looked at Christianity. I knew at that point there was no turning back for me. This process took several months. During this time I began sharing what I was learning with dh. At first he was supportive of me but believed Catholic teaching was wrong until I began showing him where the teachings came from. He began changing as well. By Ash Wednesday of 2013 I decided to "be a Catholic" for Lent. I wouldn't attend a Protestant service and I would pray, fast, and give alms. I got a subscription to Magnificat which has all the daily readings, a devotional, and prayers. By Easter 2013 I knew I couldn't go back to the Protestant church and I was home. My husband also felt the same way. Then two of our children felt called to Catholicism as well. But our oldest two did not. They wanted to stay AG with their friends and extended family. After talking to our priest he assured me that at their ages (17 and 15 at the time) they needed to make the decision themselves. That was hard. I wanted us all to be together but my dh, two sons, and I couldn't go back. They began RCIA in the fall of 2013 and came into the Church Easter 2014. It was wonderful and we couldn't be happier! We have learned to negotiate a multi-faith family. It hasn't been easy but it has been so worth it. Interestingly one of the directors for RCIA was in a similar situation. He and his wife had come into the Church but their three middle school/high school aged children remained in their Baptist church. 

I'm sorry for the super long story! I love telling my story and hearing other conversion stories. I recommend Rome Sweet Home by Scott Hahn to read first. Also look for EWTN's The Journey Home show on YouTube. There are many stories about Baptists becoming Catholic as well as every other denomination. Contact your local priest to talk about your concerns. You may or may not be ready for RCIA. It's a wonderful place to ask the hard questions. Pray for God's guidance. Look at Jennifer Fulwiler's blog, Conversion Diary. She is an atheist to Catholic convert but she wrestled with most of the issues many converts face. She just came out with a terrific book titled Something Other than God. Start reading conversion stories on The Coming Home Network. 

Please message me if you have any concerns! I know how hard it is and confusing this journey can be. The one message I got from our priest and RCIA directors is that this is a process. Slow down. You don't have to have all the answers right now. Pray and let the Holy Spirit guide you! I will be praying for you no matter what you ultimately decide. There's nothing better than feeling a total peace in your soul.

God Bless,

Elise in NC

I am not Catholic and am not considering "converting" (I say that in quotes because I do not believe in the whole Protestant vs. Catholic as it relates to Christianity.  I believe they are both Christian, so the term converting doesn't really apply *for me.*  However, I do know the official stance of the Catholic Church and they do call it converting, so for that sake I will use the term.

A friend became Catholic several years ago.  He was in a church (Presbyterian) and they were going through a lot of their changing of official policy on several doctrinal issues.  He was tired of dealing with the changes and after researching, he found that the Catholic Church's doctrines haven't changed in thousands of years and won't.  He found comfort in that.

A book I read years ago, called Evangelical is Not Enough, was helpful to me in understanding Catholicism a bit better.

I wish you well on your journey.

Not to be nitpicky, but I was specifically told that as a baptized Christian, I am not converting, but rather coming into full communion with the Church.

I have no personal experience with this. However I have a cousin who is Catholic & his wife is non-denominational. They each feel strongly about their own faith but have great mutual respect for the others faith. What has worked for them is a rotation. 2x a month is dh church and 2x a month they visit wife's church. The kids go to Catholic school but beyond that I am unsure of which faith the kids identify with.

Then, that is good and I am glad to hear it.  Others have been told differently.  When the pope made the official statement that Catholic church is the one and only true church, it lead many to not recognize Protestants at Christians.  

In fact, in googling, it looks like many Catholics don't believe Protestants are Christian.

Please don't misunderstand me, I know this very often goes both ways, so I am not blaming either side, but as for MY understanding of scripture, both are Christian.

Dawn

Not to be nitpicky, but I was specifically told that as a baptized Christian, I am not converting, but rather coming into full communion with the Church.

Then, that is good and I am glad to hear it. Others have been told differently. When the pope made the official statement that Catholic church is the one and only true church, it lead many to not recognize Protestants at Christians.

In fact, in googling, it looks like many Catholics don't believe Protestants are Christian.

Please don't misunderstand me, I know this very often goes both ways, so I am not blaming either side, but as for MY understanding of scripture, both are Christian.

Dawn

I am not familiar with the statement Pope Francis made. I would love to read it if you have a link.

My dh came into the Church at Easter 2014 so only a few months ago. We had a large class of catechumens (non-baptized) and candidates (baptized). Anyone who was validly (trinitarian) baptized didn't need to be rebaptized. Catholics only believe in baptizing once. My dh was baptized in a Church of Christ school and so there was no need to rebaptize my dh. If Catholics didn't believe Protestants were Christians I can assure you they would rebaptize them since it is the most important Sacrament for salvation.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church states in paragraph 838:

The Church knows that she is joined in many ways to the baptized who are honored by the name of Christian, but do not profess the Catholic faith in its entirety or have not preserved unity or communion under the successor of Peter. Those who believe in Christ and have been properly baptized are put in a certain, although imperfect, communion with the Catholic Church. With the Orthodox churches, this communion is so profound that it lacks little to attain the fullness that would permit a common celebration of the Lord’s Eucharist. (CCC 838)

I hope that clears up any misconceptions that Catholics believe Protestants aren't Christians. It just simply isn't true.

Elise in NC

Then, that is good and I am glad to hear it. Others have been told differently. When the pope made the official statement that Catholic church is the one and only true church, it lead many to not recognize Protestants at Christians.

Dawn

I have never once heard any Catholic say that Protestants aren't Christian?? How bizarre.

Then, that is good and I am glad to hear it.  Others have been told differently.  When the pope made the official statement that Catholic church is the one and only true church, it lead many to not recognize Protestants at Christians.  

Dawn

I agree with you that both are Christian and there are misunderstandings on both sides. It's a common misconception that the Catholic Church teaches that Protestants are not Christian. But the Church recognizes baptism of other Christian denominations if it is done with the trinitarian formula, and the catechism states that those baptized outside the Catholic Church "have a right to be called Christians, and with good reason are accepted as brothers in the Lord by the children of the Catholic Church."  (paragraph 818) 

I'm agreeing and adding more info, so I hope it doesn't come across as if I'm arguing. :001_smile:

Dawn

I have never heard any Catholic say that he doesn't believe that non-Catholics are Christians. That's one of the things I wanted to be clear about when I was returning to the Church. I know way too many godly non-Catholic Christian men and women who love God with all their hearts to believe that they are not Christians.

I have, however, in my 35 years in the non-Catholic Christian church, heard many non-Catholics say that they don't believe that *Catholics* are Christians.  :-(

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for sharing their beautiful stories. 

I am a Catholic who loves my Protestant brothers and sisters. I wish the OP and her family well as she listens to God's call.

I was baptized Catholic as an infant, my family fell apart, and I wasn't taught the faith and did not receive all the sacraments of initiation. I even doubted the divinity of Jesus in my teen and young adult years. My dh was also baptized Catholic and at one point signed himself out of the Catholic Church. The only way we found ourselves back in the Catholic Church was by grace. I think both of us were open to God's call at different times and in different ways. For myself, I can say that continuing in prayer through those years--reaching out to God in my imperfect knowledge of Him--allowed the Holy Spirit to lead me to the Church. I am sure that the OP is praying about this and that God will answer her. By relying on his call and gentle promptings, I believe there's a way for her to come into the Church while maintaining family harmony.

Just wanted to add that I went through the RCIA classes in the early 90s.  Although I did not end up converting, I don't regret that at all…in fact, I highly recommend them. I had heard a lot of myths (for lack of a better word) regarding Catholicism, and it is always better IMHO to study a faith with its adherents…to hear what they say things mean….rather than to listen to outsiders or detractors.  

Edited to add….. yes, there was no need for me to be re-baptized.  I was baptized as an infant in the Presbyterian church and that was viewed as fine.

Because this is where the church started, and I see no reason to have ever left it. Reasons over time to reform, change, grow, but not leave. It may not have everything right, but I feel it has the MOST right. That and the idea that I might not always agree with my Father (aka the Pope) but it doesn't mean I don't need one. Pope Francis has shown me how a Pope can be such a light to the world, in a way I hadn't realized. 

I cam from the Episcopal church, so less of a change, and fought the change for so long, but this is where I belong. My son is an agnostic at best, my aspie teen. My husband is Episcopal but doesn't attend anywhere. My littles go with me. Praying for you.

:grouphug:  Thank you so much for this thread!  You're not alone in feeling pulled towards Catholicism.

I grew up in a Church of God (Anderson) church.  When I was in middle/high school my Mom followed the Spirit-filled movement so I was pretty immersed in that.  Even moved here to go to Oral Roberts University.  But it's always just rubbed me the wrong way.  I've just never felt like that movement or fundamental Christianity was for me.  All of the hopped up emotion and trying to get the Spirit to "move" really annoys me (similar to what TammyS stated about the services she grew up in). 

For a few years now our church (non-denominational) has been incorporating Liturgy into the services.  Things like communion every service (most around here are maybe once a month), readings and responses, observing Lent, etc.  Our pastor leans every much towards Catholicism but he is being careful and respectful in how he and the other pastors are introducing these things to the congregation.  Apparently one man left the church because he was offended by the Scripture reading and congregational response, "Thanks be to God."  Right before Lent our pastor did a wonderful Saturday workshop that went in-depth on the "why" of Lent and also delved into they "why" of things like crossing yourself, the bells, why involving the body in worship (NOT Jericho marches or running through the isles..LOL!…things like crossing yourself, kneeling, etc) are important, etc.  It was wonderful! 

Even before our church started doing those things I felt drawn towards Liturgy, the Tradition, the mystery, wanting to know more about the Catholic faith, picking the brains of my Orthodox friends, etc.  I just feel that there is *something* I'm searching for.  I've tried verbalizing it to my husband but it's so difficult for me (INFJ  ;)) so I probably won't do much better here.  

Earlier this summer our church held a conference for pastors and church leaders that was also open to the church members.  There are many other churches around the country beginning to go back to the Traditions and incorporate them into services.  I can't even put into words how refreshing it was.  I felt like I had found "my people".  It was so nice to know that there are so many others out there who are searching just like I am.  

One place I was lost was in the HOW to get started.  A couple speakers (Sarah Bessey and Jerusalem Jones) were spot on in saying what I needed to hear.  Start with living the Liturgical calendar in your home.  Start with praying the Hours (is that supposed to be capitalized?).  I admit I have been horrible at doing this during the lazy summer months.  But with school starting next week I'm hoping to get into a better daily routine where I can live this out better and ramp up my reading and researching.  

A friend of mine posted this blog a few days ago.  Oh so helpful and I'm hoping to order some of the books soon:  
http://carrotsformichaelmas.com/2013/07/15/so-youre-thinking-of-converting-to-catholicism/

I'm still struggling with whether or not a full conversion is what I am to do.  But I also feel like I am being called home.  There is a lot of reading and praying I need to do.  For now, I'm content in the church we are at now as a family but I may start attending Mass on a Sunday evening to see if that would fill the void I'm feeling.  I've also considered doing the RCIA class.  Right now I'm on the hunt for a pretty Rosary because I want to learn that.  :)

So again, thank you for your post!  It's so refreshing to know there are others out there feeling that pull towards Catholicism.  

Not to discourage you, but to be completely upfront about all things to consider... I do not know how it works when you are not married in the Catholic church regarding raising children. For example, I imagine you'll want/need your marriage blessed in the Church if you become Catholic. I think until this is done you may be unable to receive Holy Communion (someone correct me if I'm wrong!). And there are expectations for you to raise your children Catholic if I'm not mistaken.

I know I sound a little confused on this matter and I don't mean to be more unhelpful than helpful. These are things for you to investigate further so you don't have any surprises. I am Catholic married to a non-Catholic. We got married in the church and I do feel some resistance from dh in raising our child(ren) Catholic. I actually recently discovered that due to location of nearest Sunday school options (my parish lacks children) that it would be much more logical for me to do CCD (Sunday school) at home with ds. I thought this would blow up in my face when I discussed it with dh but he has accepted it. I'm sure others in this thread can elaborate on whether or not you will be faced with certain issues but please do not let my raising those topics discourage you. Cross that bridge if/when you get there, you know? I try to be a realist and I knew going into my marriage that dh may never embrace Catholicism. Just take things one day at a time. Good luck!

No need to have the marraige redone/blessed. If they were both baptized when married the marriage is assumed to be valid. The issue you are thinking of is when one person is already Catholic, and then marries outside the church.

For a few years now our church (non-denominational) has been incorporating Liturgy into the services.  Things like communion every service (most around here are maybe once a month), readings and responses, observing Lent, etc.  Our pastor leans every much towards Catholicism but he is being careful and respectful in how he and the other pastors are introducing these things to the congregation.  Apparently one man left the church because he was offended by the Scripture reading and congregational response, "Thanks be to God."  Right before Lent our pastor did a wonderful Saturday workshop that went in-depth on the "why" of Lent and also delved into they "why" of things like crossing yourself, the bells, why involving the body in worship (NOT Jericho marches or running through the isles..LOL!…things like crossing yourself, kneeling, etc) are important, etc.  It was wonderful! 

You may have already heard of Alex Jones, but if not, here ya go: http://catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0077.html

You may have already heard of Alex Jones, but if not, here ya go: http://catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0077.html

It was Alex Jones' book that started us on our journey!  I remember finding it in a used bookstore, reading the title, and thinking, "Converting from evangelicalism to Catholicism?  I thought all conversions went the other way!" I bought it because the idea intrigued me.  We ended up choosing Orthodoxy and not Catholicism (since both have their roots in the early/original church), but the way he spoke about church history -- how it's tangible and how the Church couldn't have disappeared or apostatized -- is the hook that caught me/us.

The husband in this scenario should be attending weekly, regardless of whether or not his family attends with him. I cannot tell from your post if he goes solo the other 2 weeks or just not at all. But for a practicing Catholic this rotation would not allow them to continue to receive Communion weekly because it's considered a mortal sin to miss Mass without a grave reason (they need to go to Confession). I don't know if all Catholics are aware of this, though. I find that many Catholics have a poor understanding of the rules (not to say I am not ignorant in various ways myself) and thus do not realize they should be there weekly.

Sorry, this will be OT but I have to vent.

This is one of my big beefs with the Catholic Church. A mortal sin means that you have completely seperated yourself from God and, if you die in the state of mortal sin, the Church says you go straight to hell for all eternity.

But so many things are classified as mortal sins!! Murder, adultery, birth control, mastrubation, missing Mass, on and on and on. I just can't believe that God in Heaven is that quick to send someone to hell. The issue of mortal sin is really causing me to question my faith.

This is one of my big beefs with the Catholic Church. A mortal sin means that you have completely seperated yourself from God and, if you die in the state of mortal sin, the Church says you go straight to hell for all eternity.

But so many things are classified as mortal sins!! Murder, adultery, birth control, mastrubation, missing Mass, on and on and on. I just can't believe that God in Heaven is that quick to send someone to hell. The issue of mortal sin is really causing me to question my faith.

Well, God doesn't send anyone to hell.  We send ourselves.

In order for a sin to be mortal, there are three conditions that have to be met:

1. It must be grave matter (so you simply can't go to hell for stealing a pencil)

2. You must know that it is sinful and grave

3. You choose to do it anyway

If it's grave, and you know it, and you choose to do it anyway......you send yourself to hell.  God didn't send you anywhere.  You walked away from Him and straight into what you chose instead.

Well, God doesn't send anyone to hell. We send ourselves.

In order for a sin to be mortal, there are three conditions that have to be met:

1. It must be grave matter (so you simply can't go to hell for stealing a pencil)

2. You must know that it is sinful and grave

3. You choose to do it anyway

If it's grave, and you know it, and you choose to do it anyway......you send yourself to hell. God didn't send you anywhere. You walked away from Him and straight into what you chose instead.

Yep, I know the party line.

Yep, I know the party line.

The party line?  I'm sorry, but you come across as sounding like someone who is choosing to live in a state of sin, and is blaming the Church for it.  Maybe I'm wrong, but that really is what it sounds like.

So, maybe consider this, the Church merely *declares* the truth, they don't create it.  You can choose to turn your back on it, but you haven't changed it. 

I really am not certain what your problem is.  Do you not believe in hell?  Do you think not believe  that this is the Church founded by Jesus and handed down for 2000 years?  Maybe you should do some reading on authority.  When it comes right down to it, one of the things that I like about being Catholic is the assurance that the correct authority is declaring things.  We don't all have to be our own popes.  One of the things that having proper authority requires is the humility to know that when we disagree with something, we need to see it in the proper context, which is:

1. We are not to look to the Church to align itself with us, to change it's declaration of truth for our comfort, we are to align ourselves with it.

2. If we believe the Church has gotten something wrong, we need to have the humility to look for the wrongness in our understanding and correct it.

Frankly, if we don't believe that mortal sin can send us to hell, then what was the point of Jesus's salvific sacrifice anyway?  If we're all going to heaven regardless, then skip the whole religious bit and just wait for death.  I'm sure we all have better things to do with a Sunday morning than participate in a religious service that doesn't matter anyway.

The party line? I'm sorry, but you come across as sounding like someone who is choosing to live in a state of sin, and is blaming the Church for it. Maybe I'm wrong, but that really is what it sounds like.

So, maybe consider this, the Church merely *declares* the truth, they don't create it. You can choose to turn your back on it, but you haven't changed it.

I really am not certain what your problem is. Do you not believe in hell? Do you think not believe that this is the Church founded by Jesus and handed down for 2000 years? Maybe you should do some reading on authority. When it comes right down to it, one of the things that I like about being Catholic is the assurance that the correct authority is declaring things. We don't all have to be our own popes. One of the things that having proper authority requires is the humility to know that when we disagree with something, we need to see it in the proper context, which is:

1. We are not to look to the Church to align itself with us, to change it's declaration of truth for our comfort, we are to align ourselves with it.

2. If we believe the Church has gotten something wrong, we need to have the humility to look for the wrongness in our understanding and correct it.

Frankly, if we don't believe that mortal sin can send us to hell, then what was the point of Jesus's salvific sacrifice anyway? If we're all going to heaven regardless, then skip the whole religious bit and just wait for death. I'm sure we all have better things to do with a Sunday morning than participate in a religious service that doesn't matter anyway.

You are wrong. I'm as pure as the driven snow, I'm just struggling with my faith. Thanks.

Sorry, OP, I shouldn't have butted into your thread.

I have a lot to ponder. I talked with my dh about what I'm feeling. He is supportive, but he is concerned about confusion in our children if I choose Catholicism while he remains Baptist. I have that concern as well. At the same time, I don't want to deny myself the pursuit of what I believe. I definitely need to spend a great deal of time in prayer.

I have a lot to ponder. I talked with my dh about what I'm feeling. He is supportive, but he is concerned about confusion in our children if I choose Catholicism while he remains Baptist. I have that concern as well. At the same time, I don't want to deny myself the pursuit of what I believe. I definitely need to spend a great deal of time in prayer.

:grouphug:

snipped for focus:  

One place I was lost was in the HOW to get started.  A couple speakers (Sarah Bessey and Jerusalem Jones) were spot on in saying what I needed to hear.  Start with living the Liturgical calendar in your home.  Start with praying the Hours (is that supposed to be capitalized?).  I admit I have been horrible at doing this during the lazy summer months.  But with school starting next week I'm hoping to get into a better daily routine where I can live this out better and ramp up my reading and researching.  

Get MAGNIFICAT.  Seriously a wonderful help to integrating the life of prayer into your day.  

No need to have the marraige redone/blessed. If they were both baptized when married the marriage is assumed to be valid. The issue you are thinking of is when one person is already Catholic, and then marries outside the church.

If neither was Catholic (and so under no obligation to marry according to Church canons) and under no impediment (e.g. not already married to someone else), the marriage is valid regardless of their baptismal status. Non-Christian marriages are real marriages, too.

Of course this bothers you. In the 21st century, these seem like minor peccadilloes, not serious sins.

But as Catholics we have to think historically. Five centuries ago, challenging someone to a duel on a point of honor - knowing he was inferior in fighting skill - and killing him, was seen as a thing that obviously might have to be done by a good man, and the Church's prohibition on it was ignored to the point where the Church went to the length of excommunicating duellists. Not that that had any effect. Today it seems like straightforward murder. Similarly, an upper-class married person of either sex would see having sex with someone not your spouse as a very minor thing, and even unavoidably necessary if one's spouse didn't "render the marriage debt" sufficiently often. (Interestingly, this was thought to be more of a problem for women than for men, as women were insatiable but men had a limit.)

On the other hand, only a century ago (as you may be tired of hearing), contraception was generally considered dirty and polluting by middle class mores, Catholic or not. And daily massgoing was a common thing - though communion was significantly rarer, and even then often not as part of Mass - such that Sunday-only massgoing seemed like a reasonable lower limit to Catholic participation.

So you're certainly not alone. Catholics have always felt that aspects of Church moral teaching were taken way too seriously by priests. I suppose one difference is, it used to be more okay to be a Bad Catholic - certainly the internet has brought out the inner scold in plenty of Catholics who might be better off tending the poor instead of tending a blog.

When my children were younger I tried to find the 'most right' Church by comparing Bible verses. I never once considered the Catholic Church (although I did think it was beautiful ), because they did things that were obviously not in the Bible. I remember thinking you could look up verses that seemed to support each Church's teaching ( I could find verses that made it seem like you had to be baptised and then find verses that made it seem like you didn't, for example), so how could I ever compare and know for sure? I was really troubled and so I prayed about it. There were lots of different things that I noticed after that prayer that finally ended with us joining the Catholic Church. This included small things like just how holy EWTN looked compared with some of the other religious channels and bigger things, also. I think the main thing, though, was when I read that the Bible never said that it was to be the ultimate authority. That really started to open my eyes.

God Bless. I will pray for you and your family.

I agree with this, I always thought that the Bible was to be the ultimate authority on things. But then I realized that the BIBLE doesn't say that it's the ultimate authority.

As for the marriage topic I think it depends where they were married, too (church or only courthouse). But I could be wrong on that as well lol.

Non-Catholics can be married in any way recognized as marriage by their culture, so long as there are no impediments. Joining hands through a dolmen sacred to Thor in an open field at midnight is good enough, if that's how it's done in those parts. So is a Justice of the Peace.

The party line?  I'm sorry,   but you come across as sounding like someone who is choosing to live in a state of sin, and is blaming the Church for it.  Maybe I'm wrong, but that really is what it sounds like.

So, maybe consider this, the Church merely *declares* the truth, they don't create it.  You can choose to turn your back on it, but you haven't changed it. 

I really am not certain what your problem is.  Do you not believe in hell?  Do you think not believe  that this is the Church founded by Jesus and handed down for 2000 years?  Maybe you should do some reading on authority.  When it comes right down to it, one of the things that I like about being Catholic is the assurance that the correct authority is declaring things.  We don't all have to be our own popes.  One of the things that having proper authority requires is the humility to know that when we disagree with something, we need to see it in the proper context, which is:

Frankly, if we don't believe that mortal sin can send us to hell, then what was the point of Jesus's salvific sacrifice anyway?  If we're all going to heaven regardless, then skip the whole religious bit and just wait for death.  I'm sure we all have better things to do with a Sunday morning than participate in a religious service that doesn't matter anyway.

Somehow I have a really hard time imagining Pope Francis responding in this way to someone struggling . I would be expecting a humble pastoral tone. He's very winsome that way.