Menu

top 5 MUST read/listen to classic books

LaughingCat

If you could ONLY read (or have them read)  5 classic books to your kids from K-8 - what would they be?  and as an addendum if you wish, what are the top 5 stories you think your child must know (by this I mean, know the general story but doesn't necessarily have to be in the original/classic format)

Charlotte's Web

Little Women

A Christmas Carol

maybe Pilgrim's Progress (or Little Pilgrim's a Progress, I will let you know after I actually read it in the next couple of years!)

maybe To Kill A Mockingbird somewhere around 8th grade (this may need to wait for high school for some, I just remember reading it in 8th grade and being personally moved by the story)

Decisions, decisions....it's hard to narrow down when I didn't read classics growing up. I enjoyed Charlotte's Web even as an adult reading it to my kids for the 1st time 2 years ago. I loved it so much I reread it to them just one year later.

For stories maybe not in the classic format I would choose the summaries of MLK/civil rights movement, Helen Keller, and the story of Pocahontas or Squanto with early US history. I haven't made it to 5 must know stories yet, because my kids are still young and I am learning as I go along. You didn't ask about High School, but I was fascinated by the movie The King's Speech recently, and have newly planned that as a must know story before high school graduation.

Not a classic, but . . . one we HIGHLY enjoy is A Year Down Yonder (by Richard Peck). It's by no means one of the top 5 classics in children's lit, but - at my kids' request, we listen to it at the kick-off of every single home school year, and still howl laughing and THEN have really meaningful discussions about character afterwards. <3

K-8 is a huge age range, so I'm picking things that are meatier appeal to older kids if I only get to choose 5.

The Odyssey

Beowulf

Lord of the Rings Series (they were written as one book)

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe

I'll have to think about #5 and get back to you.

This is so timely for me as I'm looking for these great books to focus on this year.

hmm this is difficult with a large age range ... and you asked two different questions

stories that they should be at least familiar with (then again, hard to say as I haven't even read the originals...)

Wizard of Oz

Pinocchio

Alice in Wonderland

Charlotte's Web

Little House

For reading, I like:

Winnie the Pooh

Narnia

Phantom Tollbooth

Lord of the Rings

Teddy's Button (Lamplighter books... also liked A Peep Behind the Scenes)

<gonna hit post before I second guess this again!>

A Patchwork Child

The Ship That Flew

A Child's Garden of Verses

Winnie The Pooh

Bamboo Hats and a Rice Cake

I know some of these may be unfamiliar to you, and that is the point. They are all special gems I would want the kids to be exposed to. Other gems already listed they will likely run across anyway (especially in my house), but these are too magical to chance. I'd also include Tall Tales like Paul Bunyan and Pecos Bill.

Top three:

The Little White Horse

The Chestry Oak

Understood Betsy

Everything else:

The 101 Dalmatians

The Secret Garden

I can't include the Chronicles of Narnia because that's a whole series, and I wouldn't want to stop with just The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, although I consider the whole series to be a must-read. :-)

Wow, great lists!  I picked the number 5 because I normally give choice for read alouds - pick out of this pile. And yet I have along list of 'must reads' and those books are passed over again and again. I don't want to stop giving choice most times so I want to create a short list of 'must reads' to slip in every now and again. Plus I think 5 really makes me think about how important is it really.  Here is my list (currently lol!):

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe 

A Christmas Carol

The Secret Garden

Alice in Wonderland

The Hobbit (tentatively)

for stories, so far:

Robin Hood

Fairy Tales

Greek Myths