Menu

How do you store bicycles?

Alessandra

We have overhead garage wire shelving. There are giant "S" pieces that hook on to the underside of the shelving. The back wheel of a bike fits on these giant hooks so that the bike is suspended vertically. It works great because we have so many bikes now stored in a small space.

I used the Rubbermaid Fast Track system with the vertical bike hooks.   Has worked really well, basically hangs the bikes vertically but on the floor.  

Here are a couple of links to see it installed:

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-FastTrack-Organization-Vertical-FG5E02DWSNCKL/dp/B0009J5NSQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406051185&sr=8-1&keywords=rubbermaid+fasttrack+bike

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatName=GarageOrganization&SubcatId=FastTrackGarageOrganizationSystem&Prod_ID=RP091292&Redirect=1

DH's road bike that is seldom used is on hooks on the wall. the regular bikes are simply leaned against the wall on the side; the two most frequently used ones in front of the two less frequently used ones.

I would imagine ceiling hooks to be a big deterrent to actually using the bike.

DH's road bike that is seldom used is on hooks on the wall. the regular bikes are simply leaned against the wall on the side; the two most frequently used ones in front of the two less frequently used ones.

I would imagine ceiling hooks to be a big deterrent to actually using the bike.

:iagree:  For us, ceiling hooks resulted in never using the the bikes. We bought a bike rack (two actually) for the floor and it helps. My disclaimer is that we have a 3 car garage and the 3rd bay is filled with bikes.

Dh built hooks so that we could hang bikes vertically along one wall of the garage. It ends up looking something like this, but we have some lower hooks for the little boys' bikes. They can all put their bikes away on their own (when they feel like it  :glare:).

Dh built hooks so that we could hang bikes vertically along one wall of the garage. It ends up looking something like this, but we have some lower hooks for the little boys' bikes. They can all put their bikes away on their own (when they feel like it  :glare:).

But doesn't that take up the same amount of space as simply leaning the bike against the wall?

Dh made a PVC bike rack that holds 4 adult bikes, and small bikes go in between.  Google PVC bike rack and you'll find lots of good examples. 

What a great idea!I was trying to think how to make one with wood/ I completely forgot about how useful PVC is.

I had not heard of Fast Track before. It might work for a bunch of things I have. THX!

I actually picked up several hooks for that at the Container Store. Then I read reviews on Amazon that said the coating came off and scratched the bike rims, so I am rethinking.

We have overhead garage wire shelving. There are giant "S" pieces that hook on to the underside of the shelving. The back wheel of a bike fits on these giant hooks so that the bike is suspended vertically. It works great because we have so many bikes now stored in a small space.

Dh attaches big hooks to the ceiling studs and hangs the bikes upside down by the wheels--2 hooks per bike.  There are currently 13 bikeshanging that way in our 2-car garage.   :huh:

Overhead hooks.  They are very heavy to lift up and down, but I'm so glad to have floorspace back!

We have overhead hooks. We also have one rack that holds two bikes. It is free standing and looks like this link. I got it over 20 years ago and have no idea the brand. 

http://www.amazon.com/Thule-872xt-BSTK2-Bike-Stacker/dp/B001PQVOOY/ref=sr_1_17?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1406051192&sr=1-17&keywords=bike+storage

Our boys who use bikes that are stored up there are big/tall enough to get them down.

My ds is strong enough to lift a bike, but since he can't ever seem to lift his dirty socks into the laundry bin and generally leaves a trail of debs wherever he goes, I would not count on him lifting a bike to the ceiling.  :banghead:

Dd is not strong enough to lift. So, while I love the idea, I don't think ceiling would work for us.

I like the Rubbermaid better that the hooks I bought. And I like the PVC plans better than the stand up bike rack I see at Bed Bath & Beyond.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/racor-reg-nbsp-pbs-2r-two-bike-floor-bike-stand/1012967047?Keyword=bike+rack

Thank you, and I will still be checking this thread, so please reply if you have an opinion!

I actually picked up several hooks for that at the Container Store. Then I read reviews on Amazon that said the coating came off and scratched the bike rims, so I am rethinking.

Our hooks are metal, but wrapped in cloth sports tape so they don't scratch the rims. That might be an option if you're not worried too much about how they look? 

In my previous 2-bay garage, we used these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MJ11TI/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  We had 5 bikes hanging.  They were easy to access and store, but we used them once a week, not daily.  ETA:  The kids (age 6 and 8 at time) didn't have a problem lifting the bikes up.  In fact, they did a better job keeping them put away than they do now with the floor rack.  :)  They liked to "hoist".  :)

In our current 3-bay garage, I bought this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IN02V6/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  We have the extra floor space, the bikes are used daily, and the ceilings are really too high to make the ceiling mounts manageable.

HTH

But doesn't that take up the same amount of space as simply leaning the bike against the wall?

Pretty much. We have 9 bikes in the garage though, so simply leaning them against each other would make it difficult to get one out. Hanging the bikes on the wall also gives us some floor space to store Ds4's outdoor toys where he can reach them.

worked but didn't love:  a vertical hanger that you tightened to be tight against floor ceiling.  You could hang 4 bikes on it...so best in the middle or near a wall area.  Hard to get top bikes down.  

Didn't work well:  the hooks and hanging upside down.  Just hangs too far down and takes up space...leaving you space under but not usable space

Currently use and like:  the floor rack that holds the bike up with no kickstand needed.  Holds 2 bikes side by side. We have two of these for our 4 bikes.  Sure it's on the floor and takes up floor space but bikes are on the side of the garage, not getting dinged up like laying them down did.  

In my previous 2-bay garage, we used these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MJ11TI/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  We had 5 bikes hanging.  They were easy to access and store, but we used them once a week, not daily.  ETA:  The kids (age 6 and 8 at time) didn't have a problem lifting the bikes up.  In fact, they did a better job keeping them put away than they do now with the floor rack.   :)  They liked to "hoist".   :)

In our current 3-bay garage, I bought this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IN02V6/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  We have the extra floor space, the bikes are used daily, and the ceilings are really too high to make the ceiling mounts manageable.

HTH

We hang ours from hooks. My BIL actually had a rack/hoist system that worked great in his home - he mounted the bikes to the rack and then hoisted them up and out of the way. That eliminated the lifting issue, he let rope/pulleys/mechanical advantage do the work for him.

So when you use the hoisting systems, where does the end of the hoist rope go? I presume you have to use a cleat or something and fasten it to a nearby wall? Wouldn't you tend to bump into the angled rope? 

The kind we had had a locking mechanism on the side where the rope extended down. The excess rope we looped over a pedal. Kids reached it with a short, two-step stool. The locking mechanism worked like window blinds--lean rope one way releases lock, lean other way locks.

The kind we had had a locking mechanism on the side where the rope extended down. The excess rope we looped over a pedal. Kids reached it with a short, two-step stool. The locking mechanism worked like window blinds--lean rope one way releases lock, lean other way locks.

Oh, that makes sense! I was picturing a spider web of cords, lol….

We hang ours from hooks. My BIL actually had a rack/hoist system that worked great in his home - he mounted the bikes to the rack and then hoisted them up and out of the way. That eliminated the lifting issue, he let rope/pulleys/mechanical advantage do the work for him.

Cool!  Dh did this when our older boys were little and rode those motorized Ninja-things around the yard.  We had 2 of them and they took up A LOT of space on the floor, so he made a wooden platform for them to sit on and used a pulley mounted to the garage wall to raise and lower the platform.

Dh built a wooden rack on one wall of our garage, sort of like in the picture but attached to the wall, not the floor. The rack is attached a bit away from the wall so that enough of the front tire goes into the slot and the bike stands up without the kickstand. It does take up a good part of the second-car-space in the garage but that space would already be taken up with the table saw and lawn mower as we have nowhere else to store those.

Also, we chose the wall mounted rack so dd would be able to get her bike out by herself. (And sorry for the giant pic!)

**pic edited out**

Dh attaches big hooks to the ceiling studs and hangs the bikes upside down by the wheels--2 hooks per bike.  There are currently 13 bikes hanging that way in our 2-car garage.   :huh:

This is what we do.  It works great!

• 2 weeks later...

Dh built a wooden rack on one wall of our garage, sort of like in the picture but attached to the wall, not the floor. The rack is attached a bit away from the wall so that enough of the front tire goes into the slot and the bike stands up without the kickstand. It does take up a good part of the second-car-space in the garage but that space would already be taken up with the table saw and lawn mower as we have nowhere else to store those.

Also, we chose the wall mounted rack so dd would be able to get her bike out by herself. (And sorry for the giant pic!)

Very cool. I can do wood!

We gave up as we only have a single car garage that is tiny--can't really get the Tahoe in and out. Anyway, we just extended the roof line and made a bike shed. 

Ours is a tight, old fashioned single car garage too. :-(

Thank you for all the ideas! What we ended up doing was reorganizing the entire garage. Got a bunch of the Rubbermaid Fast Tracks recommended upthread -- they are great for storing big items like lawn chairs. I also threw out and gave away a TON of stuff. 

I had such a bad feeling about hanging bikes from the ceiling (which btw is mostly occupied with ceiling rack and a trap door already. Pictured bikes falling on the car…. And the wall spec is all being used for other things.

So, after moving thing around, I ended up with a great bike spot under a wide overhanging shelf at the inside end of the garage. I will build either the wood of the PVC stand later. 

Thank you for all the advice!!