Menu

Dorm bedding/bedbug protection?

MrsDarcy

So I'm thinking I need to get my college kid some kind of mattress protection against bedbugs for her dorm bed(twin XL) ?  

I saw a thread that mentioned a quality bedding cover that prevented bed bugs but not the brand.  I can't find the post again so I don't if this question has already been answered.

I figure I can't be the only parent who is wondering this, especially college athletes who will travel throughout the year with their team. I'd appreciate any advice!  

(Honestly, it had not even crossed my mind to worry about bed bugs.)

I seem to remember reading somewhere on ds's university literature about having mattress protection - bedbug protection was implied. I wonder if a good quality "allergen" protective mattress encasement would also protect against bedbugs?

I don't understand the comment about the athletes: surely, they will not be taking their bedding and mattress covers with them on their travels???

(Honestly, it had not even crossed my mind to worry about bed bugs.)

My kid likes to travel with her pillow.  I admit I don't know much about bedbugs, just stories from people who did, and they got bedbugs from hotels.  I assumed that they brought the bugs home with them, or is that very unlikely?  

My kid likes to travel with her pillow.  I admit I don't know much about bedbugs, just stories from people who did, and they got bedbugs from hotels.  I assumed that they brought the bugs home with them, or is that very unlikely?  

I think it is not terribly likely, but even so, I am not sure how it would help the traveling athletes if they had a bug proof mattress cover since they would be bringing in the bugs from their travels via their luggage. Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

I think it is not terribly likely, but even so, I am not sure how it would help the traveling athletes if they had a bug proof mattress cover since they would be bringing in the bugs from their travels via their luggage. Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

I assume the kids can wash their stuff on return from traveling.  But even if they went straight to bed because they're exhausted, then at least their mattress would be protected, which is something they wouldn't be able to wash if it got infested.

The poster I mentioned in the thread said something about, if I remember correctly, that only the kid who had some kind of special mattress cover didn't get bedbugs in the dorm.  So, I assume, a cover might be something kids would need?  I also made the assumption that my kid is especially vulnerable, since she may be bringing them thru her travels.  Idk. I'm wondering, that is why I'm asking here. 

I seem to remember reading somewhere on ds's university literature about having mattress protection - bedbug protection was implied. I wonder if a good quality "allergen" protective mattress encasement would also protect against bedbugs?

Yes, what I remember of the dorms, was a thin mattress, no cover.  The college sent us flyer about sheets, mattress covers, sets, etc. but I don't have it because I was going to get our own stuff since I know the local stores carry some XL twin stuff.

You're not the only one wondering about it.

I was at Bed Bath and Beyond on Saturday and there were SO many bedbug products out in the dorm section.  I didn't know whether to be freaked out or whether it's a scam.  So I came home and spent some time with Google.  And (no surprise) it is a problem.  Most of the information from universities seemed to be aimed at preventing a problem (advising kids to keep their rooms clean, report any suspected infestation immediately, etc.) rather than reports of them dealing with actual problems.  I found a news story where DS's university (and the other big schools in the area) denied they've ever had a problem.  I know that's no guarantee, but it did make me feel better.  Plus I know their mattresses are encased in plastic, sort of like hospital beds.  I'm not sure if that's good enough bed bug protection or not.

I did read that if one is going the protection route, you really need a cover for both the mattress and the box springs.  Do dorm beds typically have box springs?  Other than the beds at DS's school being encased in plastic, I don't remember much about them.

And yes, I think the more anyone travels the more the risk is increased.  From what I read, the main risk in traveling is setting luggage down on a bed.  Apparently the little critters love to hitch rides in luggage.  So that's a definite no no.  I'd warn her to not set her luggage on beds while traveling, and not to set it on her bed when she gets back to her dorm.  In fact, I'd tell her to keep her luggage as far from beds as possible.  IIRC, some of the articles said bedbugs typically stay within eight feet of a bed.

The universities here have issues. Buy a bedbug mattress protector and seal it shut with tape.

Part of the problem has been perpetuated with people having problems and then selling their stuff on craigslist where it spreads, or from bedbugs travelling through apartment complexes and then back to dorms after visits.

Seriously, it's a major issue. Our library has been the only institution vocal about it, but the movie theaters and some restaurants have also been affected.

And yes, I think the more anyone travels the more the risk is increased.  From what I read, the main risk in traveling is setting luggage down on a bed.  Apparently the little critters love to hitch rides in luggage.  So that's a definite no no.  I'd warn her to not set her luggage on beds while traveling, and not to set it on her bed when she gets back to her dorm.  In fact, I'd tell her to keep her luggage as far from beds as possible.  IIRC, some of the articles said bedbugs typically stay within eight feet of a bed.

We picked them up after a 1-night's stay in an upscale hotel in 2011.  I brought the bags home and put them on the beds to unpack.

Thankfully I found one only a few days after we returned and knew what it was.  Two of us had bites.  I completely stripped that room and washed everything in addition to treating with a natural spray that a local company sells.  That was the end of it.

After that I leave the bags outside in black garbage bags for several days, and check and wash everything.  Yes, even last summer when we took 14 bags overseas.  And every room we stay in gets checked before we bring in the luggage when we're away.

I can't imagine that most college students would be that diligent.

I was at Bed Bath and Beyond on Saturday and there were SO many bedbug products out in the dorm section.  I didn't know whether to be freaked out or whether it's a scam.  So I came home and spent some time with Google.  And (no surprise) it is a problem.  Most of the information from universities seemed to be aimed at preventing a problem (advising kids to keep their rooms clean, report any suspected infestation immediately, etc.) rather than reports of them dealing with actual problems.  I found a news story where DS's university (and the other big schools in the area) denied they've ever had a problem.  I know that's no guarantee, but it did make me feel better.  Plus I know their mattresses are encased in plastic, sort of like hospital beds.  I'm not sure if that's good enough bed bug protection or not.

I did read that if one is going the protection route, you really need a cover for both the mattress and the box springs.  Do dorm beds typically have box springs?  Other than the beds at DS's school being encased in plastic, I don't remember much about them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering about it.

The dorm room I saw had no box springs, just an uncovered mattress.  I don't know if the room we saw was typical or not, since it didn't occur to me to ask.  

That sounds like good advice and simple, keeping luggage eight feet away if possible.  

The universities here have issues. Buy a bedbug mattress protector and seal it shut with tape.

Part of the problem has been perpetuated with people having problems and then selling their stuff on craigslist where it spreads, or from bedbugs travelling through apartment complexes and then back to dorms after visits.

Seriously, it's a major issue. Our library has been the only institution vocal about it, but the movie theaters and some restaurants have also been affected.

It sounds like it doesn't matter what brand I buy as long as it gets sealed with tape, good to know!

I wasn't sure how much an issue it would be for dorms, or not.  I had never heard of movie theaters and some restaurants being affected! 

We picked them up after a 1-night's stay in an upscale hotel in 2011.  I brought the bags home and put them on the beds to unpack.

Thankfully I found one only a few days after we returned and knew what it was.  Two of us had bites.  I completely stripped that room and washed everything in addition to treating with a natural spray that a local company sells.  That was the end of it.

After that I leave the bags outside in black garbage bags for several days, and check and wash everything.  Yes, even last summer when we took 14 bags overseas.  And every room we stay in gets checked before we bring in the luggage when we're away.

I can't imagine that most college students would be that diligent.

I can't imagine most students being that careful either!  Her roommate is on the same team, so maybe they can bag and wash everything together, which would be easier.

ds's school has a plastic encasement with no fabric exposed.  I just bought a mattress topper.  Hope that will be ok.

I don't think these will have any encasements, just fabric mattresses, so I'm definitely investing in one after reading some of these comments.  

Okay, sorry to be dense here, but what do you mean by "seal it shut with tape"? All around/on top of the zipper? Isn't the zipper really long? What kind of tape do you use? I just want to make sure I do it "right!"

Yes, you go completely over the zipper with duct tape.

Here are some more resources:

http://www2.epa.gov/bedbugs

http://www.bedbugreports.com/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/bed-bug-expert-explains-defend-yourself/

Anecdotally, a lot of college students here will wrap double sided tape or packing tape, wrong side out, around the feet and legs of their bed as a way of monitoring if they are suspicious. Most slum landlords want definitive proof.

The bedbug reports website should not be read if one is faint of heart, about to eat, or has major anxiety about bugs or hotel germs. Seriously.

My husband knows quite a bit about bedbugs, and just spent a week with an entomologist who specializes in the topic (brought home a petri dish of them too; you can imagine how I felt about that.)  Bedbugs are a huge problem in institutions of all sorts, including hospitals and schools.

Honestly, the mattress cover won't help much if bedbugs get in the room; they will just find another place to hide out.

My husband knows quite a bit about bedbugs, and just spent a week with an entomologist who specializes in the topic (brought home a petri dish of them too; you can imagine how I felt about that.)  Bedbugs are a huge problem in institutions of all sorts, including hospitals and schools.

Honestly, the mattress cover won't help much if bedbugs get in the room; they will just find another place to hide out.

This is depressing!

I dreamt about bedbugs last night.  I give all due credit to this thread.  Sigh.

Regards,

Kareni

I did actually, LOL, when I read that!!  

Bedbugs will hitch a ride in backpacks, books, clothing, etc.  Unfortunately if they are a problem at the school there isn't  a lot you can do short of sealing up your room and not letting anyone in (and hoping your roommate is willing to be as neurotic about it as you are).  

Another bit of protection is to teach your kid how to spot a bedbug infestation.  Google should be your friend.  I used to travel frequently for work, and I was worried about it so that is what I did.  

Basically, you look for a thin dark red-brown line near the bed.  Basically, that is blood tracked on their feet and they walk the same paths like ants.  

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter ended up with bedbugs in her room and we figured out she picked it/them up at a Girl Scout camp after sleeping in a beautiful and fully furnished cabin for two nights. No mattress protector would have prevented the bug(s) from getting into her stuff and coming home with her. Luckily we were able to catch one and confirm it after she got bit several times during the night two weeks after the trip. We got rid of them using a thermal process done by professionals where they heat the room to 140+ degrees for a few hours to kill the bugs and their eggs. We also now always check for evidence of them (and after many days of searching for information I know all about how to find/catch them!) whenever we travel or sleep away from home.

If you are really worried about them, isolate any clothing or bedding coming home from college until it can be washed and dried on as hot a setting as possible. I don't think a mattress protector will help, they are really just used to protect a mattress from the bedbugs damaging it (pooping all over it!) to the point of having to get a new mattress. Can't wash that out!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, it is a problem.  Everyone should buy a plastic encasement cover that zips tightly over the mattress and another over the pillow.  And it is wise to put risers under bed and put some chemical (can't quite recall right now but Amazon sells it) in the cups so that bedbugs do not migrate to the mattress from the luggage.  I bagged everything cleaned everything like a Hazmat worker every time my oldest returned from (Boarding) school.  If it was washable, I washed and dried it on HOT.  If not, I wiped it down with alcohol.  We got through but there were a couple of other incidents on other floors, I heard. 

We ended up not buying anything for bedbugs.  The mattresses in DS's dorm are the plastic covered, hospital type.  So I really didn't see the point in adding even more plastic.  From all the research I did it seemed that if there was an infestation it would be almost impossible to avoid it anyway.