Menu

What is your race/ethnicity/gender?

What is your race/ethnicity/gender?  

1. 1. What is your race/ethnicity/gender?

• White: The original peoples of Europe, Middle East, or North Africa.
    • Black or African American: Any of the Black racial groups of Africa.
    • Am. Indian & Alaska Native: N. & S. America (incl. C. Amer.) who maintain tribal affiliation
    • Asian: Peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent
    • Native Hawaiian & Other Pacific Islander: Peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.
    • Race -- OTHER not previously mentioned (for this poll Hispanic origins are not races)
    • Ethnicity -- Hispanic/Latino/Spanish origin
    • Ethnicity -- Not Hispanic/Latino/Spanish origin
    • Gender -- Male
    • Gender -- Female

I don't really see how one could say this is a result of Darwinian evolution--people "thought in terms of different people groups representing different 'races'" long before his theory was ever introduced into the world. And prejudice certainly existed long before that as well.

Yea, if memory serves, Africans were cruelly enslaved in North America for over 200 years before Darwin published "The Origin of the Species". And the AIG explanation of what "Evolution" teaches is totally wrong-headed (why should I be surprised?).

Bill

I find some of the responses to this thread to be very interesting. Awhile back I started a thread asking whether or not ethnicity was important to people here. I mention this particularly because while the poll simply states "of European descent", several people have mentioned the country from which their ancestors came. But the poll isn't about ancestral homeland, it's about race. So it brought the whole question to mind again.

I'm not wagging my finger at anyone, this isn't meant as a criticism. It's more of a "hmmm...interesting..." thing for me.:001_smile:

I've always disliked the terms white, black, and yellow, I know they are easy, but none of us are really those colors of lack of. We are pale cream, pale peach, bisque, tan, sienna, some even a blackish blue. So many shades and combinations.

Sorry, the artist in me.

My daughter said I was pink when she was 4 :lol:

I chose "white" because that's what I'm considered to be. However, in reality I'm a true American mutt. I have ancestors from many of the countries in Europe, and when I go far enough back, I even have some from SE Asia. I also have both Cherokee and Creek ancestry. As far as I've been able to find in my genealogy research, all of my ancestors were here by the 1600s-early 1700s or before.

Dh is hispanic and is a mixture of basically all the races. He knows for sure that he has Native American (from Puerto Rico and Mexico), European, and African ancestry, and he's pretty sure that he has some Asian ancestry as well.

I chose "white" because that's what I'm considered to be. However, in reality I'm a true American mutt. I have ancestors from many of the countries in Europe, and when I go far enough back, I even have some from SE Asia. I also have both Cherokee and Creek ancestry. As far as I've been able to find in my genealogy research, all of my ancestors were here by the 1600s-early 1700s or before.

Dh is hispanic and is a mixture of basically all the races. He knows for sure that he has Native American (from Puerto Rico and Mexico), European, and African ancestry, and he's pretty sure that he has some Asian ancestry as well.

I think we're all mostly "mutts" these days. And, that supports the point that perhaps race as a designator of people has run its course. I guess, for polls like this (or official ones, like the census), we're supposed to pick one thing. Or, maybe pick "other" as some people have, because we're really more than one thing. It just doesn't make much sense when you start looking at it that way, because so many people have different races in their lineage.

Thanks for voting, Judy.

I find some of the responses to this thread to be very interesting. Awhile back I started a thread asking whether or not ethnicity was important to people here. I mention this particularly because while the poll simply states "of European descent", several people have mentioned the country from which their ancestors came. But the poll isn't about ancestral homeland, it's about race. So it brought the whole question to mind again.

I'm not wagging my finger at anyone, this isn't meant as a criticism. It's more of a "hmmm...interesting..." thing for me.:001_smile:

I think that because the poll specifically names Hispanic but lumps everything else into a single category (per the US Census Bureau), and because the whole process of reading and voting causes people to think about who their ancestors were, it's likely that ancestral homeland will end up as part of the reply. I went and looked at your previous thread and, at a glance (I replied "not particularly important"), it appeared that many people were quite proud of their heritage. So, why is it "interesting" that a similar pride would show up here?

When Jeffrey was young he insisted we were peach, not white.

Later, when I was pregnant with Hunter, he told everyone that he hoped his new sibling would be a nice dark brown color.

I was thankful that he was so excited about Hunter's arrival that he wasn't terribly disappointed about his pale color.

I voted my race and gender and you asked for culture too. I'm Kurdish.

It is often the smallest who see us as we really are. Sometimes what they say can be painful, while other times so sweet.

Since more and more science is questioning the whole notion of race, it's understandable that one's ethnic identity becomes more important. I really think it always was. Man has always been tribes with flags. If you go to Brazil it is very challenging to separate out the so-called races. There is this amazing stew of all colors and shades. I think ethnic identity is easier for many to grasp and hold onto. How one identifies with a group/culture vs. the color of their skin or the shape of their eyes.

I have never seen Europeans as a homogeneous group. Few look alike, the shape of their eyes, their faces, even skin tone and body types. Same with Asians. One from Vietnam would never want to be thought of as Chinese. They not only look different, each has a totally different history and philosophy of life.

Maybe skin color (so-called race) became more important when our tribes ran out of room, had to start sharing space. It was harder to keep separate ethnic identities, so race became more important? I hope that this too will fall away, as we become more educated and see there is only one race, with lots of colorful varieties.

I can dream can't I?

I think that because the poll specifically names Hispanic but lumps everything else into a single category (per the US Census Bureau), and because the whole process of reading and voting causes people to think about who their ancestors were, it's likely that ancestral homeland will end up as part of the reply. I went and looked at your previous thread and, at a glance (I replied "not particularly important"), it appeared that many people were quite proud of their heritage. So, why is it "interesting" that a similar pride would show up here?

That's true. I did go back and look at the poll again and I can see how someone would want to be more specific. I think that what interested me in the poll topic was different and therefore my expectations were different. So then I read the replies and I only wanted to know about racial differences but people were saying "My grandmother was from Estonia" (I chose that example because I don't think anyone actually said that and I really don't mean to pick on anyone.) And so it made me wonder why even when we're just talking about race people always mention country of origin.

So I guess I'm thinking that this is one of those times when communication suffers due to differing expectations.

The question in my mind was simply "What is your racial makeup?" When I reread your poll, I realize that wasn't your original question. Oh well. ;)

And I wish that the word "interesting" didn't have to sound kind of beeyotchy because I realy didn't mean it that way.

Since more and more science is questioning the whole notion of race, it's understandable that one's ethnic identity becomes more important. I really think it always was. Man has always been tribes with flags. If you go to Brazil it is very challenging to separate out the so-called races. There is this amazing stew of all colors and shades. I think ethnic identity is easier for many to grasp and hold onto. How one identifies with a group/culture vs. the color of their skin or the shape of their eyes.

You know, I think that you've made a really good point here, Jenny. I am going to ponder these thoughts.

I think that my own impatience with/disinterest in "tribal origins" stems from ignorance of my own. Due to several circumstances I don't know and probably cannot know any of those specifics for myself and so a long time ago I decided that it wasn't that important. I guess the crucial thing to add is that it's not important for me.

I will actually spend some time thinking about how and why it would be important to people who can pinpoint an actual country or village.

Interesting food for thought. (And I mean interesting, not "interesting", :lol:)

Yea, if memory serves, Africans were cruelly enslaved in North America for over 200 years before Darwin published "The Origin of the Species".

yup. and Africans were "cruelly enslaved" by other Africans long before the white folk figured it out. And many of the Native tribes that practiced human sacrifice used slaves and prisoners of war for that. Racism and prejudice existed for a long, LONG time before Darwin, i agree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arab_slave_trade

Funny that I NEVER answer this on forms, but I did answer it here. It's the one question I flat out refuse to check, whether it's for me, my kids, whatever. I always choose Other and write in "Human."

I haven't answered in years. Back in 1982, a secretary in my office marked me as "Hispanic" because my boyfriend was. LOL. (Ugh, I really should replace '1982' with 'a long time ago'!)

I normally find this question so offensive, as I think it serves mostly to separate and further divisiveness among people.

So why did I answer here? Maybe because you're truly curious, and I won't end up as some gov't statistic furthering one cause or another....

I think we're all mostly "mutts" these days. And, that supports the point that perhaps race as a designator of people has run its course.

You're probably right. Since ds is so mixed, I joke that he can apply for almost every scholarship based on race, ethnicity, or heritage. Can you imagine if he could get both a hispanic scholarship and one for Sons of the Confederacy? ;)

...but people were saying "My grandmother was from Estonia" (I chose that example because I don't think anyone actually said that and I really don't mean to pick on anyone.) And so it made me wonder why even when we're just talking about race people always mention country of origin.

At one time people did consider those from other countries (regardless if they had the same colouring or not) to be "different races"). Ex: the English considered the Scottish to be a "lesser and more barbaric race".

I haven't answered in years. Back in 1982, a secretary in my office marked me as "Hispanic" because my boyfriend was. LOL. (Ugh, I really should replace '1982' with 'a long time ago'!)

I filled out the census form in 2000 (the long form at that), but it apparently got lost in the mail. Therefore, census workers came to my door to ask the questions. Dh wasn't home, but ds and I were. One of the census workers argued with me when I answered that ds was hispanic because he "looked white" to her.

At one time people did consider those from other countries (regardless if they had the same colouring or not) to be "different races"). Ex: the English considered the Scottish to be a "lesser and more barbaric race".

This is very true. I know several older people of Irish and Scottish descent who do not consider Italians "white".

Also, what about people from the Middle East? They are more alike than different. That is, many in Egypt are more like people in the Middle East than other Africans, and many of the countries are in Asia but are not what people usually mean by Asian. And "Semitic" often means Jewish, not Middle Eastern, even when the Jewish person is a pale red-head.

For what it's worth, I did not vote. Let's face it, most Americans have mixed heritage and at the end of the day we get called what people "see" us as, not what our actual genetic makeup is.

Many people don't know this, but during slavery in North Georgia, most slaves were of Native American, Irish, or Scottish descent.

Black, female and Muslim which makes me an odd duck at times.

Can I ask why people keep saying "just boring old white"? White is really generic and I am sure your ancestry is just as interesting as anyone else's. I mean you are classical educators, many of you I'm sure are fascinated with western European history. So what exactly is boring about that, along with the fact that whites are extremely diverse.

Just curious.

Many people don't know this, but during slavery in North Georgia, most slaves were of Native American, Irish, or Scottish descent.

And let's not forget all the old "Irish need not apply" signs outside of businesses.

Where I'm from, "Black Irish" or "Black Scots" (which refers to hair color, not skin color) means a mixed heritage of Native American and Irish or Scottish. Which is not what those terms mean in Europe, where they often mean "Gypsy" but not necessarily Romany. Confusing enough?

I've always disliked the terms white, black, and yellow, I know they are easy, but none of us are really those colors of lack of. We are pale cream, pale peach, bisque, tan, sienna, some even a blackish blue. So many shades and combinations.

Me, too. I'm trying to get my kids to differentiate between culture and skin tone, and I find that talking about the actual color of a person's skin often helps with that.

Black, female and Muslim which makes me an odd duck at times.

Can I ask why people keep saying "just boring old white"? White is really generic and I am sure your ancestry is just as interesting as anyone else's. I mean you are classical educators, many of you I'm sure are fascinated with western European history. So what exactly is boring about that, along with the fact that whites are extremely diverse.

Just curious.

Thank you. I've wondered the same. I think some people have been taught to almost be ashamed of being "white."

Can I ask why people keep saying "just boring old white"? White is really generic and I am sure your ancestry is just as interesting as anyone else's.

I wonder about this too. My ears always perk up when white people make fun of their own skin color or heritage (which is often!). "Boring," "pasty," "ghostly," "light enough to frighten small children" are terms I hear often. I wonder if it's an attempt to not appear racist by saying, "Even though I'm white, it's not my fault! I don't like being white!" :confused:

In the Isles, "Black Irish" were Spaniards (most likely Spanish Jews or Spanish Jews converted to Catholicism) that settled in southern Ireland (hubby is this kind of Black Irish).

I get tired of being "white" on any kind of form and try to avoid answering those questions because of it.

I wonder about this too. My ears always perk up when white people make fun of their own skin color or heritage (which is often!). "Boring," "pasty," "ghostly," "light enough to frighten small children" are terms I hear often. I wonder if it's an attempt to not appear racist by saying, "Even though I'm white, it's not my fault! I don't like being white!" :confused:

But, I think people like "belonging" to something, so they can say "I am this, or my people were that." I can't claim that I belong to much of anything with regard to my ancestry. Somewhere back there, I have a group of Scots who gave my father's family name a crest and a plaid. My mother's English ancestors are ill-defined. It doesn't lend itself to any specific attachment or group pride. That is, I think, where my lack of enthusiasm for my whiteness comes from. ;)

But, I think people like "belonging" to something, so they can say "I am this, or my people were that." I can't claim that I belong to much of anything with regard to my ancestry. Somewhere back there, I have a group of Scots who gave my father's family name a crest and a plaid. My mother's English ancestors are ill-defined. It doesn't lend itself to any specific attachment or group pride. That is, I think, where my lack of enthusiasm for my whiteness comes from. ;)

As you said yourself, though, "whiteness" doesn't define anyone. Neither does blackness, Asianness, NAness, etc. We all have our various cultures. Yes, we often share those cultures with people of the same color, but it goes beyond that as well. It turns out that my culture is a combination of a large range of backgrounds, and of that I'm proud.

I've found it quite interesting to post on message boards with people from all over the world. For example, I find that some parts of my culture are very similar to that of some people from Australia. It makes sense since both Georgia and Australia were settled by prisoners; most likely we share some common heritage. Also, I think it's interesting that some of my speech patterns that I was told as a child were "incorrect grammar" are correct in British English. In addition to that, even though I've never been directly connected with an NA tribe, when I speak to others who are, I realize that a lot of my culture does indeed come from that background.

In doing genealogy, I've become even more proud of my heritage regardless of what color someone calls me. For example, I've found that I'm related to Jimmy Carter (we share a common ancestor who fought in the American Revolution), and I'm finding interesting tidbits that jump all over the map of Europe and parts of Asia.

Despite being "white," my father (he didn't look "white"; he looked more NA or Latin) grew up as a sharecropper. Because of that, his family shared a lot of culture with the many black sharecroppers. There wasn't always the prejudice between whites and blacks that some seem to think has always existed. The sharecropping families, regardless of being black or white, helped each other in any way that they could. My great-aunt breastfed at least one black baby because her mother wasn't able to do so. They didn't care about color; they cared about each other.

I know I've rambled here, but my point is that regardless of color, we all have interesting histories. I grew up as a poor "white" farm girl in South Central Georgia, but I still have a very interesting family history.

You know, I think that you've made a really good point here, Jenny. I am going to ponder these thoughts.

I think that my own impatience with/disinterest in "tribal origins" stems from ignorance of my own. Due to several circumstances I don't know and probably cannot know any of those specifics for myself and so a long time ago I decided that it wasn't that important. I guess the crucial thing to add is that it's not important for me.

I will actually spend some time thinking about how and why it would be important to people who can pinpoint an actual country or village.

Interesting food for thought. (And I mean interesting, not "interesting", :lol:)

Well, if you ever become interested and have some money to spend ~$100. This is a really neat study, same one that the series African American Lives used. Here is the link. I want to do this but $ is too tight. Maybe a family Christmas gift.

https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/participate.html

I'm a white, Australian female. My daughter is a white, Australian female. Dh is a white, Australian male. D? is going to be a white, Australian of one gender or the other :) I had a Polish grandfather, and dh's parents are both English. Now should we start on culture? We're culturally hard of hearing! I can't talk to anyone who has their head in a cupboard, even when I know they are fully hearing.

:)

Rosie

I have never seen Europeans as a homogeneous group. Few look alike, the shape of their eyes, their faces, even skin tone and body types.

Europeans don't consider themselves a homogeneous group. The battles between the Walloons and the Flanders in Belgium is a case in point. A country the size of Maryland is divided into two "ethinic" groups that CAN NOT get along. They can spot each other a mile away.

What is funny about it is that in years past when I have visited, in Flanders they would assume I was Walloon. And when in Wallonia, they would assume I was Flemish. Both sides recognized that I was not one of them, but assumed I was from the other part of the country. No one guess American right away. This visit, everyone assumed I was from their part. The Flemish spoke Flemish to me off the bat (they got a quick "English or French please") and the Walloons immediately started off in French. What is even more ironic is that my family is actually Flemish, but since I grew up here, I don't speak it.

As a teenager visiting in Europe, everyone knew I was American by looking at me. Now, they all seem to think I am Belgian. Go figure.

I'm white with roots in Scotland, Ireland and England. My scottish roots were the ones I was familiar with...My grandfather even spoke Gaelic though he never passed it on.

My husband is white as well, like with welsh and english roots.

We're in Canada.

I remember thinking white was boring as a kid. Mostly because it was what I knew while all the exotic and interesting people in the National Geographics were of a different color. Nothing to do with being ashamed of being white - I think that might be reading too much into it. Simply that very often what we're familiar with is what we deem plain and ordinary.

Just curious.

I think it's just more of a "the grass is always greener" thing, lol.

I too always admired the exotic eyes, dramatic features, and deeper skin tone of those who had those physical characteristics --and it was usually non-whites ;)

I notice that you have on the poll that people from North Africa are white.

Why?

This has always been a question of mine. Egyptians are classified as Middle Easterners, not Africans. Yet, it sits on the continent of Africa. Why are they not Africans? :confused:

Sincerely,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony:lurk5:

Thats funny, because my dh is Egyptian, I always ask him the same question.

Jet

I notice that you have on the poll that people from North Africa are white.

Why?

This has always been a question of mine. Egyptians are classified as Middle Easterners, not Africans. Yet, it sits on the continent of Africa. Why are they not Africans? :confused:

Sincerely,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony:lurk5:

I may go digging about for an answer, but not just now because I haven't the time. It is curious, though. I took my poll options from the US Census wording, according to Wiki, for its year 2000 and upcoming 2010 polls. I wondered the same when I read that part, but thought it was just my ignorance that caused me to question it.