Menu

1st Day of Homeschool, Ever!

We made schultutes--a German tradition. They are "school cones" that hold nice goodies for the first day of school.

I made cones of colored posterboard and filled with some fancier and fun school supplies, a little candy or goody, and that sort of thing.

Here's one way to make them (this kid was obviously into Star Wars!--We didn't bother closing the tissue paper, just fluffed and stuffed).

I know some people go out to breakfast or actually just go to the park--a "not back to school" type approach!

Last year I did a first day of pre-K (his friends were starting and I like to give him similar milestones to celebrate)... He got a new backpack and we walked to school (went for a walk) and took pictures.  

Yesterday we started K...  I let him go in the goat pen by himself and feed them (they're tame and tiny) because he's a big boy now...  Totally silly but it was a big deal to him.  Just something to acknowledge that he's older, bigger, that kind of thing.  

Hmm, it didn't occur to me to do anything special last year. I like the idea of doing something fun to start off school though. Maybe I'll take him to the local bakery for a chocolate croissant. They're a special treat for him and he'd love it. I think on the first day of public school, we'll go to the lake if it's nice!

pictures or a video. my kids love talking in a video and saying what they are excited about and looking forward to! big hams, both of them!

we often start the year with a fun but not too complicated project in science or history in the afternoon. One year we celebrated together with a couple other families at the park.

We school year round so on the first day that the public schools go back to school I dress up as the "School Fairy" tap my wand on each kid's head and say, "You are now in X grade." We take pictures with the grade they are on it. We do a scavenger hunt for school supplies. And we go to the zoo since no one is there.

Yes, like taking a chalkboard picture!! ;) thanks for making me feel silly. :p

I like the donut idea; my kids love Dunkin. Then maybe a trip to get supplies or fun books. So exciting!

We do a kid-decorated "I'm-in-this-grade" sign each year... :o

I also have the kids fill out a questionnaire with some of their favorite things (food, toy, tv show, etc). We usually include a self-portrait and a "what I want to learn" list. It's fun to see how they change each year.

We do a preview of any new programs/books -- especially high interest ones.

This year we will probably hit up The Waffle House for brunch...

I make a "Happy 1st Day of School" banner and set out new school supplies.  I also make a cookie cake to enjoy after dinner.  We take lots of 1st day of school pictures.  I make sure to plan an art project as well as a fun science or history project, too.

On the first day of PS we do some sort of fun activity out of the house.  Sometimes it's just breakfast out or sometimes it's a trip to a museum.  This year I'm thinking about heading to the beach.  Our weather has been miserable this summer (lots of rain) so we haven't been able to enjoy the beach or pool.

We kind of eased into the transition, starting with math and a little history the summer after I pulled them from brick & mortar school.  I involved them in many of the preparations for homeschooling, taking them to the store to help pick out supplies and nice extras, and asking their opinion when I was hunting around the forums and the internet for curricula.  We also attended our local homeschool conference (start of August each year).

This will be our second year homeschooling, and the first year we will have things a little more in hand by the time we start.  I love the ideas I see here to mark the beginning -- a great way to set the day apart, and hopefully help us all switch gears.  We will have to give some of them a try.

Thanks for starting a great thread, OP!

We've done special breakfast, special lunch, ice cream sundays, gone swimming and called it PE, new school supplies (of course), we always start a new read aloud that the kids will love... 

ETA congratulations on your first day of homeschool ever!!!!

We're going to Six Flags for Open House and Six Flags White Water for the first day of ps school. Lol. It's just our way of thumbing our nose, I guess. Last year, I didn't think to take the first day of school picture so I will do that when we really start.

Yay, how exciting!  We take pictures on the back porch and we sometimes get those "school bus" cookies from the local grocery store.  My kids think it's funny to eat school bus shaped cookies when they do NOT have to ride one to school.  One year we started the year with a bike ride around the neighborhood after all the other kids left for school.