Menu

What sort of places cater for a low price? (Alpharetta/N. Atlanta if that helps)

DawnM

Long story short, in 2 weeks we have a reunion in Atlanta.  I do not know Atlanta at all.  (near Alpharetta)

We are looking at having a meal catered and the only place I can think of is Moe's.  They are reasonably price, etc......(taco bar is $7/pp).  

I don't mind just getting Moe's, but we will have had Mexican the night before, so I was trying to think of other major chains that cater.

I really don't have time or energy to start googling and calling local places that aren't anywhere else in the country, etc......so I am looking at major chains if at all possible.

If it is too much effort, I will just get Moe's and be done with it.

Criteria:

This is a dinner, so we don't want sandwiches, and far too many people are off of wheat and gluten anyway.

Preferably around the same price, $7/pp.

Something EASY to order and get delivered and set up.  We will be in a hotel, so no "you could just cook up X and add it in" stuff.

Aprox. 30 people.

All adults, no children.

Chick Fil A and Panera but they may not be what you want for supper.

We have a couple local Cajun and BBQ places that cater reasonably. Maybe check yelp for a low to mid price restaurant, I'm pretty sure you can search for catering on there.

The hotel really doesn't encourage getting outside vendors.  They have their own catering service and want you to use them.......$40/pp.

You can call the hotel and ask for suggestions. If you want something local, Williamson Brothers Barbeque or the Varsity would work. La Madeline does catering.

I really don't want to spend a lot of time on this.  That is why I was thinking chain restaurant.   I just don't know the area and honestly, since I am the one in charge, I would hate to get a restaurant that isn't that great and get blamed for the bad food.

Yeah, Chick Fil A and Panera came to my mind too, but really not what we want for dinner.

I wish I knew someone in the area.

Chick Fil A and Panera but they may not be what you want for supper.

We have a couple local Cajun and BBQ places that cater reasonably. Maybe check yelp for a low to mid price restaurant, I'm pretty sure you can search for catering on there.

Most large grocery stores offer catering. Is there a Publix in Atlanta? Does a Costco- type place offer those services?

I just did a google search if catering places in that area and DND catering in Taylorvsille gets good reviews and says they work with all budgets. There were others. Check Yelp.

The BBQ place may very well be a good possibility and if a few of you say it is good, I will take your word for it.  It says their pick up service catering is $5.75/pp.  

I am hesitant to do a place like Olive Garden because there seem to be so many wheat free/gluten free/low carb folks!

Thanks,

Dawn

Caroline mentioned Williamson bros--their food is good. I've not actually used them, only been to events that used them, so no idea on cost.

What about someplace like olive garden?

Other local places, although at $7/head I doubt they can do anything great--Old Blind Dog (in Milton), The Mill (in Roswell), Local Three (and the other restaurants they own)

We do have Publix, and they can do some nice stuff. Mellow Mushroom does a good gluten-free pizza. There is Taco Mac that has some gluten free choices. Your Pie in Roswell does good gluten-free pizza.

It isn't, LibraryLover, it is a like.

The only issue is that I looked up the BBQ place and the closest is 22 miles away from the hotel.

Pick up is $2 per person cheaper than delivery......so for 30 people that is an extra $60 for delivery.......hmmmmmm.....if I have the budget I will have it delivered. I really don't want to drive an hour r/t to get the food if I don't have to.  Also need to see if they deliver that far.

Dawn

Someone mentioned Publix.  Our Publix does a Family Meal through the deli.  For $11.95 you get 8 pieces of fried or roasted chicken, 2 16 oz. side salads of your choosing (macaroni, potato, cole slaw, baked beans) and a 4 pack of King's Hawaiian rolls.  The chicken is already in pieces (you get 2 each of wings, breasts, thighs and legs) so you don't have to worry about carving anything.  Publix chicken is very good.  So is the bakery.

If GA is anything like FL, there will be a Publix every 2 miles.   We go and pick this up from the Deli regularly but if I was going to use it for as many people as you I would probably call Publix first and let them know you wanted to order several of those to make sure they had enough cooked chicken to accommodate you.  Every Publix I have ever dealt with is very friendly and helpful.

I would say BBQ as well! I've only eaten at Williamson Bros once, and it was fine. It's a local place. It's better than Sonny's certainly. The Swallow at the Hollow is a local BBQ place in Alpharetta. Their pies are amazing.

Heirloom Market is the best BBQ on that side of town. They were on Andrew Zimmern's show on Atlanta. Overall, I love Fox Brothers in Atlanta and Community Q in Decatur. I'm not sure if they will deliver to Alpharetta though. I drive for good food. ;)

Edited: I can't read. You don't want local places. Alpharetta has a ton of chains. Sonny's is the only non-local chain for BBQ that I can think of, and it's not good IMO. We don't really like chain BBQ here. ;) I don't know what to suggest for chains. There's a Pappadeaux in the area for Cajun/Creole that's ok, but it's going to be more than $7. Greek food might be good too and in your price range, but I know those won't be national chains.

I don't know if you have Dave's BBQ in your area, but we were recently at a wedding where that was served and it was great!

Also, have you checked your local grocery store?  We had to throw together a quick meal for about 50 people last year, and was surprised at the options our local grocery store had.  They had things besides what they usually put out in their deli, for parties/events.  I didn't really want to go to our grocery store for a catered meal but it turned out to be a good solution.

The BBQ place may very well be a good possibility and if a few of you say it is good, I will take your word for it. It says their pick up service catering is $5.75/pp.

I am hesitant to do a place like Olive Garden because there seem to be so many wheat free/gluten free/low carb folks!

Thanks,

Dawn

Williamson's is excellent and I have been to a lot of events they have catered.

Honestly, if you have been there and really liked it and I can see the catering prices online, I will research it.

I just don't want to make a ton of phone calls or go on some wild chase for food.

However, that said, I am still going to phone up a local Indian place and ask if they cater because all of the reunion folks love Indian.  My guess is that they either don't cater or will be too expensive.

The BBQ idea is a good one and one I hadn't really considered.

Dawn

I would say BBQ as well! I've only eaten at Williamson Bros once, and it was fine. It's a local place. It's better than Sonny's certainly. The Swallow at the Hollow is a local BBQ place in Alpharetta. Their pies are amazing.

Heirloom Market is the best BBQ on that side of town. They were on Andrew Zimmern's show on Atlanta. Overall, I love Fox Brothers in Atlanta and Community Q in Decatur. I'm not sure if they will deliver to Alpharetta though. I drive for good food. ;)

Edited: I can't read. You don't want local places. Alpharetta has a ton of chains. Sonny's is the only non-local chain for BBQ that I can think of, and it's not good IMO. We don't really like chain BBQ here. ;) I don't know what to suggest for chains. There's a Pappadeaux in the area for Cajun/Creole that's ok, but it's going to be more than $7. Greek food might be good too and in your price range, but I know those won't be national chains.

Hmmmm......Swallow is certainly closer.  

The problem is they sell everything individually and I have no idea how much of things to order!

http://swallowatthehollow.com/catering.html

BBQ is sold by the pound.......how many does one pound serve?

We would most likely get two large pan sides at $33 each, so that is easy.

I need to feed aprox. 25 adults and need to keep it around  or under $200 total ($7/pp or so)

Is this doable?

Here is the catering menu:

Hmmmm......Swallow is certainly closer.  

The problem is they sell everything individually and I have no idea how much of things to order!

BBQ is sold by the pound.......how many does one pound serve?

We would most likely get two large pan sides at $33 each, so that is easy.

I need to feed aprox. 25 adults and need to keep it around  or under $200 total ($7/pp or so)

Is this doable?

Here is the catering menu:

I would say that you need a pound of meat for every four people. I think it'd be pushing it to do less unless you have a lot of sides and bread. If people are putting it on a roll, they'll eat less but you said you didn't want to do sandwiches........

I would say that you need a pound of meat for every four people. I think it'd be pushing it to do less unless you have a lot of sides and bread. If people are putting it on a roll, they'll eat less but you said you didn't want to do sandwiches........

I agree with 1/4 lb meat per person. Now I want some Brunswick Stew. I see a trip to Williamson Brothers when I get back from the beach.

I would like to have buns available, I just know that several in the group don't eat bread, so I didn't want a meal of just sandwiches or just pasta.  

BBQ allows people to make a hot sandwich if they wish, or go with it on a plate.

1 pound per 4 people is good.  I think we can handle that given the money we have available.

Dawn

Caroline mentioned Williamson bros--their food is good. I've not actually used them, only been to events that used them, so no idea on cost.

What about someplace like olive garden?

Their food is outstanding, but it's expensive! 

Macaroni Grill does very good catering for reasonable prices.  There's one near Northpoint Mall in Alpharetta.  Much better than Olive Garden.

I would like to have buns available, I just know that several in the group don't eat bread, so I didn't want a meal of just sandwiches or just pasta.  

BBQ allows people to make a hot sandwich if they wish, or go with it on a plate.

1 pound per 4 people is good.  I think we can handle that given the money we have available.

Dawn

Willimason Brothers may be a good choice, then, but be prepared for sticker shock.  It's not your average everyday cheap BBQ.  Man, is it good, though.

I'd try Shane's Rib Shack if you want BBQ.   I really like it and it probably won't cost you as much, and there's at least one location in Alpharetta (might be Roswell...close enough).   Jim and Nick's (it's in Cumming, just north of Alpharetta) is another favorite.  Super good stuff.  

Whatever you do, do not go with Dickey's BBQ.  Gross.

Willimason Brothers may be a good choice, then, but be prepared for sticker shock. It's not your average everyday cheap BBQ. Man, is it good, though.

I'd try Shane's Rib Shack if you want BBQ. I really like it and it probably won't cost you as much, and there's at least one location in Alpharetta (might be Roswell...close enough). Jim and Nick's (it's in Cumming, just north of Alpharetta) is another favorite. Super good stuff.

Whatever you do, do not go with Dickey's BBQ. Gross.

Both Shane's and Jim and Nick's are good. Fat Matt's is awesome, but in the city, so that won't work.

The prices are listed online.  It isn't unreasonable at all.  

Dawn

Willimason Brothers may be a good choice, then, but be prepared for sticker shock.  It's not your average everyday cheap BBQ.  Man, is it good, though.

I'd try Shane's Rib Shack if you want BBQ.   I really like it and it probably won't cost you as much, and there's at least one location in Alpharetta (might be Roswell...close enough).   Jim and Nick's (it's in Cumming, just north of Alpharetta) is another favorite.  Super good stuff.  

Whatever you do, do not go with Dickey's BBQ.  Gross.

The prices are listed online.  It isn't unreasonable at all.  

Dawn

Really?  Well that's good! 

I haven't been to a catered event by them but I love to eat there.  Last time we went it was $90 (with tip) for 3 of us.  That, to me, is a lot for BBQ, even if it is incredibly tasty.

If we want just pork with sides, tea, lemon aid, and cookies, it is $6/pp.  If we want pork and chicken, it is $7/pp.

I will just pick up since delivery is $60 AND I would need to tip, making it probably an additional $100 or so.

Did you get ribs?  We aren't getting ribs.

Dawn

Really?  Well that's good! 

I haven't been to a catered event by them but I love to eat there.  Last time we went it was $90 (with tip) for 3 of us.  That, to me, is a lot for BBQ, even if it is incredibly tasty.

Ok, well, turns out we may get Moe's AND BBQ!

The Mexican place we booked to go to Thur night called to ask if we could switch to Saturday.  We can't, that is our big planned dinner night, already paid for, etc....

So, we may end up ordering Moe's Thur night and BBQ Friday night.  

I would still prefer Indian, but I can't get a hold of them and there is nothing on their website that indicates they cater other than in their own banquet room for weddings and such.

If we want just pork with sides, tea, lemon aid, and cookies, it is $6/pp.  If we want pork and chicken, it is $7/pp.

I will just pick up since delivery is $60 AND I would need to tip, making it probably an additional $100 or so.

Did you get ribs?  We aren't getting ribs.

Dawn

Yep, we did.  All of us.  And my husband got the full rack, which is, I believe, half of a cow.  When they set that thing on the table it looked like when they put that T-Rex steak thing on Fred's car at the beginning of the Flintstones!

I guess now that you mention it we've eaten there other times and it wasn't as much.  I was just shocked at that bill!  And now that I think of it, I think we all three ordered dessert, too.  And i had a beer or two.

Ok, it's all making sense.  I need to calm down about the poor (delicious) Williamson Brothers.  haha

I went to a wedding reception at an Indian restaurant in Alpharetta once. I don't remember the name of the place. (The wedding was rather odd. It was at the couple's house and there was no toilet paper in the bathrooms and a myriad of other strange events.) Anyway, the food was awesome.

Ok, well, turns out we may get Moe's AND BBQ!

The Mexican place we booked to go to Thur night called to ask if we could switch to Saturday. We can't, that is our big planned dinner night, already paid for, etc....

So, we may end up ordering Moe's Thur night and BBQ Friday night.

I would still prefer Indian, but I can't get a hold of them and there is nothing on their website that indicates they cater other than in their own banquet room for weddings and such.

Maybe for a lunch if we have the funds.  I really want a hot dinner.

Jason's Deli

Not sure what their prices are, but you can do salads & soups, plus a side of fruit & veggie trays. Maybe that would work for the low-carbers. Plus, they have pastas, baked potato bar, sandwiches/wraps, etc....

I wish you could remember the place.

I went to a wedding reception at an Indian restaurant in Alpharetta once. I don't remember the name of the place. (The wedding was rather odd. It was at the couple's house and there was no toilet paper in the bathrooms and a myriad of other strange events.) Anyway, the food was awesome.

It sounds like you have things in hand, but if you want sandwiches, there is a local shop that has gluten free bread available (along with a separate prep line for gluten free sandwiches and Boar's Head meats)

http://www.goodgrubsubs.com/

ETA: Lost something in my edits...meant it looks like you have dinner in hand, but if you are looking at lunch places, like sandwiches....

Thank you, those do look good.  

Originally we were providing ONE meal, a banquet at the hotel, and the rest of the food was "on your own" type and I had planned to go to Costco and get muffins, fruit, yogurt, and chips and such for snacking.

Then we realized we had more $$ than we had originally thought and I suggested we provide at least one catered dinner (from a place like Panera or Moe's).   Turns out we currently have enough $$ for two catered dinners  in addition to the banquet (at least the Moe's and BBQ type.) which will cover all dinners.

That kind of morphed into, "Well, could we at least get sandwich stuff from Costco as well for sandwiches?"

At this time, 4 people have still not paid.  If they pay, we can afford more food, and possibly even a lunch like this (will prob still cost about $150 for all of us, which is cheap, but not Costco cheap if that makes sense.)

But if they show up, and pay up the first day, we get more food!  :lol:

Dawn

It sounds like you have things in hand, but if you want sandwiches, there is a local shop that has gluten free bread available (along with a separate prep line for gluten free sandwiches and Boar's Head meats)
http://www.goodgrubsubs.com/

ETA: Lost something in my edits...meant it looks like you have dinner in hand, but if you are looking at lunch places, like sandwiches....

Thank you, those do look good.  

Originally we were providing ONE meal, a banquet at the hotel, and the rest of the food was "on your own" type and I had planned to go to Costco and get muffins, fruit, yogurt, and chips and such for snacking.

Then we realized we had more $$ than we had originally thought and I suggested we provide at least one catered dinner (from a place like Panera or Moe's).   Turns out we currently have enough $$ for two catered dinners  in addition to the banquet (at least the Moe's and BBQ type.) which will cover all dinners.

That kind of morphed into, "Well, could we at least get sandwich stuff from Costco as well for sandwiches?"

At this time, 4 people have still not paid.  If they pay, we can afford more food, and possibly even a lunch like this (will prob still cost about $150 for all of us, which is cheap, but not Costco cheap if that makes sense.)

But if they show up, and pay up the first day, we get more food!  :lol:

Dawn

It's good you have extra money, but it seems like it created lots of extra work for you!  I think Costco does still carry Udi's bread which is GF/DF, if you do end up doing sandwich fixings and want to accommodate.  Though many people might be like me and just bring their own.

There are many flying in who won't be able to bring their own, but a good idea to get some gluten free bread.

it really isn't too much extra work.  We had planned on a couple of Costco runs anyway for drinks, snacks, and continental breakfast stuff.  I will just add lunch stuff in there, not a huge deal.

And I really don't mind ordering in.....that is pretty easy.

I figure if I do this work, others can be on clean up duty!  I hate the clean up!

Dawn

It's good you have extra money, but it seems like it created lots of extra work for you!  I think Costco does still carry Udi's bread which is GF/DF, if you do end up doing sandwich fixings and want to accommodate.  Though many people might be like me and just bring their own.