Menu

Middle School Science

We are using Elemental Science for my oldest.  We also used Real Science Odyssey in the past with success, but we are liking Elemental Science better (Earth science last year, prepping for bio this year).  There is a huge variety of science out there for the age group though based on your kid's learning style, your teaching style, etc. 

Hmm. I am really liking the idea of Elemental Science Logic Stage Biology for 6th grader with bio-knowledge gaps and highly gifted 4th grader.

Anyone know how relevant the teacher guide is? (Not against it, but it seems like half the teacher guides I buy are a waste and just sit on the shelf.)

We use/used CPO science.  It's a school textbook series: Earth, Life, and Physical - so three years in all.  The labs are designed for classroom, but they can be modified for home; I actually replaced a bunch of them with other labs I found online.  But the texts are great.  Totally secular; lots of stuff about evolution in the Life book.  All the lab book pages and handouts are available free online.

We have all the PH Science Explorer books, and Earth just didn't go that well (but I have a tough kid). He often couldn't answer the questions after reading the text. We used the worksheets that I bought from Amazon, and did quizzes from the publisher's website. We did only a couple of labs the whole year. I dunno. I have Life here in front of me and I'm not excited at all to do it.

We are going to try Holt Science & Technology for Life Science. The worksheets look a lot more succinct, and with the labs in the book I hope it will be a more streamlined year.

We used CPO Earth for 6th grade, Holt Life for 7th, and are gearing up to use Prentice Hall Physical Science this year for 8th.

All three books are similar in style to me. Earth and Life had many experiments that were easy to do at home. I sat down at the beginning of the year and came up with a master list of supplies and ordered them from Home Science Tools.

This year for Physical I think I am going to order a lab kit from Quality Science Labs. They have life and earth science kits too.

My kids really liked CPO Earth but they say Holt Life has been their favorite so far. 

I do have CPO Earth and Holt Life for sale on the classifieds board.

Hmm. I am really liking the idea of Elemental Science Logic Stage Biology for 6th grader with bio-knowledge gaps and highly gifted 4th grader.

Anyone know how relevant the teacher guide is? (Not against it, but it seems like half the teacher guides I buy are a waste and just sit on the shelf.)

You should buy the TM. The weekly 2 day, 5 day schedules are in there....... As well as Tests, comprehension questions with answers, etc.

You could buy it as an e-book?

Dd's science sequence:

5th CPO Earth

6th CPO Life

7th Earth Science by Tarbuck and Astronomy by Chaisson (both college non-major texts)

8th Physics by Giancoli (college non-major text)

She studied other topics over the years that corresponded to various Science Olympiad events.

She has a distinct leaning toward geology at this point (starting ninth grade in the fall).

I read on these forums that ES specifically avoids any discussion of evolution or the age of the earth. So you will have to supplement with other resources for these topics.

I don't consider Elemental Science secular. The Earth science I had a chance to look at clearly stated that the author was YEC although the curriculum was meant to be neutral. That was enough for me to discount it as a valid option. Although I see that they have updated their material so they may have removed that tidbit about the author's personal preference....either way. ymmv.

Middle school science has been tricky!! I loved RSO Biology level 2. We didn't even get to everything that massive book contained in it this year. Sort of just want to pick it back up honestly. Wish Pandia Press had their level 2 programs completed.

I'm going to use a Holt book for Earth science and fill in with any extra activity books I find (Janice VanCleave etc.)

The Ellen McHenry units for chemistry look decent. 

I wish I could afford to do it WTM way and just buy a ton of kits and just work through them and talk/write about it....but that is a bit much.

BFSU goes into the upper grades, right?

The Earth science I had a chance to look at clearly stated that the author was YEC although the curriculum was meant to be neutral.

Dang. Is this true? The thing I read the author was Christian (which I have no problem with) but not YEC (which I do, not as a human being but as someone authoring a science curriculum.)

We used CPO for Earth Science and Physical Science. Someone here had done several of the activities and posted their adaptations for home use in a blog. I deleted all of my CPO links when we were done with it, though. I had also found a lot of other ideas online for labs and activities - the problem was usually having too many choices of really great things to do for every chapter. I really liked it, especially the Earth Science which I think was my favorite year of science ever.

We used Shepherd for Life Science. Meh.

I don't consider Elemental Science secular. The Earth science I had a chance to look at clearly stated that the author was YEC although the curriculum was meant to be neutral. That was enough for me to discount it as a valid option. Although I see that they have updated their material so they may have removed that tidbit about the author's personal preference....either way. ymmv.

In the materials or only on the webpage?  We did Logic Stage ES Earth and Astronomy and I don't recall this at all in the materials.  They used Kingfisher materials for readings primarily, with some add-ins.  I don't recall it in the teacher's materials either. 

Edited:  Week 1 in student guide gives pages for Big Bang Theory from Kingfisher, but they are optional and not required readings.  The teacher materials suggest the parent teach the big bang theory at that point because most astronomers do believe it.  It presents it is pretty neutral language, explaining why most astronomers do believe it, what they are basing that on, and what astronomers are not finding.  The suggestion is then to talk about facts and theories.  Reading it, I read it as neutral, yes.  [i'm Christian but not young earth.]  I can't even see a non-Christian finding fault with it as presented, and YEC could just skip the big bang material as it is not the central part of that lesson. 

I prefer secular science also and haven't had any inclination of non secular material in Elemental Science.

This was our experience with Elemental Science as well.  We do secular science here and I've actually used two ES logic stage packages: Earth Science/Astronomy and Biology.  As someone else mentioned, the reading is scheduled from secular encyclopedias, such as Usborne and Kingfisher. 

In the materials or only on the webpage?  We did Logic Stage ES Earth and Astronomy and I don't recall this at all in the materials.  They used Kingfisher materials for readings primarily, with some add-ins.  I don't recall it in the teacher's materials either. 

Edited:  Week 1 in student guide gives pages for Big Bang Theory from Kingfisher, but they are optional and not required readings.  The teacher materials suggest the parent teach the big bang theory at that point because most astronomers do believe it.  It presents it is pretty neutral language, explaining why most astronomers do believe it, what they are basing that on, and what astronomers are not finding.  The suggestion is then to talk about facts and theories.  Reading it, I read it as neutral, yes.  [i'm Christian but not young earth.]  I can't even see a non-Christian finding fault with it as presented, and YEC could just skip the big bang material as it is not the central part of that lesson. 

The materials I saw (had them in my hand, not online) was astronomy, possibly a level 1 (Grammar stage). I recall clearly seeing a note in the first pages about the author's personal belief in a young earth but that they were making the materials neutral. I used to be able to link to the astronomy sample from the website that I'm talking about, but now the sample link does not work, and I also see that a lot of ES materials have been revised and now have a 2014 copyright....so...this may have changed. 

http://d3r1z7wkgqhj9d.cloudfront.net/ESA%20samples.pdf

Found it. Apparently I saved the old pdf. The issue I have with ES is in the section called Special Considerations. Rereading I have to say that may or may not point toward YEC, so I detract that statement. Still it's a concern for me personally, so I think others need to be aware of it in case they are also discerning about their science materials.

We are using Elemental Science but not using their recommended texts.  We are using the student workbook and I crossed out all the reading assignments and replaced them with lessons in CK12.  In CK12 I was able to just choose assignments based on each week's topic in Elemental Science and create lessons to assign to him each week.  So we follow the vocabulary, sketches, lab reports etc from ES but we just do our reading from CK12.  Each CK12 assignment has reading and then videos for him to watch and an online quiz he takes that is automatically graded.  He can do it on his own which is nice.  I think next year we may even just skip buying the Elemental Science and just follow the same schedule of sketches, vocab, lab reports etc with CK12 now that we know the routine and it works well for us.  I should mention that I thought the reading assignment recommendations in the ES workbook were perfectly fine, I just didn't want to make him read out of another book, and since so little of his work is computer based I thought CK12 would be a nice way to mix it up and not have to buy more books. 

Hi guys! I want to jump in your science discussion. With these resources, are you TEACHING/LECTURING and then having child read and do the activities or in middle school, is science quite independent minus experiments?

We do the Elemental Science.  With my 6th grader last year and continuing this year, he reads the books himself and we do discussion and lab together.  Part of what Elemental Science encourages teaching is notetaking in outline form from the text, so I do not teach it beforehand.  He reads and attempts to outline.  Then, he does the sketch.  At the end of the week, we do the lab together (along with a friend from another family who did his reading during the week as well), talk about the lab, fill in the lab sheets and do an overall discussion of that week's material. 

Thanks all for chiming in with your clarifications. I think we'll go ahead and give the biology a shot since I like the idea of the workbook used similarly to what WeeBeaks described. If the author is YEC they don't appear dogmatic about it, so willing to give it a go.

I have the elemental science earth science teacher guide. It does give you answers though the lab and reading parts that you should hear from your kids.  That way if they are not grasping it you have the answers in front of you.  It would be helpful if you just want your kids to learn independently... saves you from not having the answer.  Also during labs it explains what their responses should be (or close to).  Also lists lab supplies broken into weeks in a nice neat list so it's easy to organize. And I think they have an easier list of all the supplement books (IF you want to request them from the library) to see than in the student text where it is broken down by weeks.

Honestly if you read along with them, you should be able to help them without the guide. The labs have not been impressive, but we are only six weeks in. So, we will see.  Not like the info is deep and confusing! You could live without and be fine.

Just recalled - the teacher materials also have tests and answer keys to the tests.  Not sure if that matters as some families don't use the tests, but I administered them last year as practice for taking tests similar to what a traditional school would be like.

We are using Holt Life Science + Earth Science, the packages specifically for homeschooling include a DVD with quizes/tests and other material to ensure the students really grasp the material.

Now, as far as teaching goes, I teach from the holt text book...but the students study a different textbook.  The science fusion texts are much more approachable and cover essentially the same material, and are not that expensive if you buy them on Amazon rather than directly from Holt (which assumes you want to use their online resources).

And, then to  help with visualizing, we have discovery streaming + discovery science online + whatever time we can make to do experiments at home.

Ellen McHenry Books are also great supplements.

And, then to  help with visualizing, we have discovery streaming + discovery science online + whatever time we can make to do experiments at home.

Oh! I saw Homeschool Buyers' Co-Op was running a special on this and was wondering if it's worth it.

We used 4 Prentice Hall books from the Science Explorer Series, and they were very thorough and very challenging.  They moved a bit too fast, and some were better than others.  We started out with Chemistry, which was the hardest book, and then ended with Earth's Waters, which was the easiest.  So I think Calvert really botched that because someone just coming out of 5th grade learning chemistry, as well as balancing a few equations, etc. was really overwhelming.  My son actually enjoyed the Earth's Waters book and one of the other Earth books.  The questions were very good, the labs so-so.  The "Math Analyzing Data" sections were totally stupid and ridiculously complicated...we failed one even though I worked through it with him because it was so extremely detail oriented and required literally 45 calculations of various kinds.  Which I think is too much for an 11 year old!

One other good thing, is that you can often find these used for a great price, and they do not require a TM>  All the info and comp questions are in there for you.

I have one loving using the time4learning middle school science lessons. He has gone through almost 2 so far. He chooses them over computer play time!!

We are going to use Derek Owens Physical Science this year for 8th.  We used his Prealgebra last year and were very happy with that (so continuing with Algebra 1 this next year).

For 6th grade, my dd used Elemental Science Biology (level 2) and enjoyed it.  Last year we outsourced science.

• 1 month later...

CPO is adaptable and has an inquiry focus (where the kids are asking questions and wondering about processes before the material is taught). I've also liked Middle School Science. I'm working on a series on teaching scientific thinking, and this list might be helpful:

Curriculum for Teaching Science and Scientific Thinking (Essential Skills Series)

I read on these forums that ES specifically avoids any discussion of evolution or the age of the earth. So you will have to supplement with other resources for these topics.

Yup.  Astronomy, too.  I would personally not consider Elemental Science to be secular. 

We have liked Ellen McHenry, RSO Biology 2, and Oak Meadow Physical Science so far.  Last year we did chemistry and since that's dh's actual real job, he helped with that so we didn't use just one thing.  

I want to try CPO but it confuses me with all of the options and books. 

Been through Middle School Science twice now...

Dds the older:

6th: CPO Life (great)

7th: CPO Earth (too low-level for 7th imho)

8th: CPO Physics: A First Course (fantastic)

Dd the younger:

6th: A bit of Plato and then tried school that year.  Just as well, she didn't like Plato.

7th: Mr. Q Advanced Chemistry (fantastic)

8th (this year): CPO Physics: A First Course - 'cause it was fantastic the first time

If I could cobble together what worked best for us, I'd do CPO Life for 6th, Mr. Q Adv. Chem for 7th, and CPO Physics: A First Course for 8th.  Only thing affecting that would be math... Mr. Q does require balancing equations and Algebra 1 is definitely needed concurrent with the CPO Physics: AFC.