Menu

Humorous audiobooks for grown-ups and/or kids (road trip)

Susan in TN

DS liked Jim Weiss's giants and tall tales CDs. I rather liked the giants one myself.

I think if you found one of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, that might be fine, but it's been a while since I've read it.

DS liked Jim Weiss's giants and tall tales CDs. I rather liked the giants one myself.

I think if you found one of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, that might be fine, but it's been a while since I've read it.

Mark Twain's book is very good but it's also very depressing.

*edited because auto correct can be annoying.

How to train your dragon series.

The only problem with this is that they are read by David Tennant. When the kids listen on a road trip my mind starts to wander to David Tennant and then one of two thing can happen. #1 is that a 6 hour road trip goes by reeeeeeeealy quickly because my brain is off living another life much more interesting than the one I currently have. Or #2 I spend so much time in this other life that I drive off the road and we all die.

#2 hasn't happened yet but it's something to consider when picking audio books.

edited to add (see what thinking about David Tennant does to me?) Bill Harley to your list. These are not audio books but stories. DH and I have listened to "Battle of the Mad Scientists" and "Weezie and the Moonpies" and "Teacher's Lounge" when the kids are not around. They are that good.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I haven't actually read the books.  I'm thinking of the radio show.

And we've had fun with the Wooster and Jeeves books.  They're not as funny as the TV show (you just can't beat Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry) but they're pretty amusing.  I think the worst of the PG rating is that everybody drinks a lot.  But it's not exactly condoned behavior.  They tend to get stinking drunk and then do something really dumb.

Gerald Durrell has some funny stuff, but you might want to stay away from the one where he's in South America.  I think it involved a brothel.  The ones where he writes about his childhood in Greece are pretty funny - particularly if you have any budding naturalists in your family.  (edited -- oh, Sadie already mentioned these)

Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court has some highly amusing bits -- in the first half.  After that, it gets VERY dark.  Lots of people die.  Might not be what you're looking for.

If you want something a little more "literary", I find Pride and Prejudice to be pretty funny, but this might not go over well with little kids.  The Moonstone is even funnier (although there are dark bits, and long drawn out parts that might cause the eyes to glaze over)