Menu

Do you use a mango splitter?

milovany

I'm not that big on kitchen gadgets, but sometimes they're worth it. For example, we never used to eat fresh pineapple until I got one of the pineapple coring gizmos. Now we do, and that purchase was entirely worth it to me. It gets far more out of the pineapple than I would cutting it up by hand. So, will I feel the same about the mango dealie? The difference here is that we do already buy and use fresh mango now -- but it is a pain to cut up. Is the mango thing amazing like the pineapple thing is amazing (to me)?

Uh,  what? 

I use a knife. It takes like 30 seconds. Slice, slice, score, score. 

But I have no problem cutting a pineapple , either.

But my perspective is that it's a pain to cut up.  I do know how to do it, and I've done it a lot, but I just don't like the process so I'm wondering from those with experience if the mango gizmo works as well as the pineapple gizmo (I can cut up pineapple, too, but it's also a pain to me).  After I slice the two big sides off the flat sides of the mango pit, I also hit the two other sides.  I slice the big chunks of mango off these sections and then chop that into small chunks. Then I get even more off the peels, then I slice more off the pit.  I get absolutely as much as I can, and freeze it for smoothies.  So if the mango thing takes out the first bit of getting all the flesh away from the core and peel, then the $10 would be worth it to me.  But I don't want to spend the $10 if it doesn't work all that well. 

Sparkly, YES.  It's amazing to me.  It gets SO much more than I can get cutting by hand (and there are no little bits of rind/peel in the pineapple that you're going to use).  The gizmo also slices it as you core, so you end up with a 8-12 rings depending on the size of the pineapple. This one's a keeper. 

I loved the mango cutter thingy. We got a lot of mangoes last summer and it made it so much easier to deal with. I would say to get it!

Thank you for your input!  I just wanted to know it worked well for *someone*.  So does it get most of the mango when it slices or do you find you typically have to go back and slice off more from the pit and peel? (But maybe you're not as rabid as me about getting every last possible bit.)

Thank you for your input!  I just wanted to know it worked well for *someone*.  So does it get most of the mango when it slices or do you find you typically have to go back and slice off more from the pit and peel? (But maybe you're not as rabid as me about getting every last possible bit.)

I'm sure that you can go back & get more but I usually didn't. I find the part of the mango closest to the pit/seed to taste like plastic. They are also really slippery fruits. LOL!

I'm sure that you can go back & get more but I usually didn't. I find the part of the mango closest to the pit/seed to taste like plastic. They are also really slippery fruits. LOL!

I just realized they don't get the peel off.  Ugh.  I was hoping it did but it makes sense that it doesn't.  The slicing isn't the bad part, but the scoring and cutting peel off.  What's your method for this once you've used the cutter? 

I just realized they don't get the peel off.  Ugh.  I was hoping it did but it makes sense that it doesn't.  The slicing isn't the bad part, but the scoring and cutting peel off.  What's your method for this once you've used the cutter? 

I just score it with a knife and then use a spoon to scrape it off. I got the Oxo one from Krogers. Also, I learned that some mangoes you can eat the peel.

It looks to me like it's designed only for certain types of mangoes, but since those are the ones you're most likely to find in an American grocery store, that probably wouldn't matter.

I cut up at least two mangoes a day. Personally, I peel my mangoes first and then cut the fruit off. The scoring and scooping/scraping system isn't my thing. I think a tool that just separated the fruit from the pit wouldn't really be worth it.

This is interesting.  I also *hate* peeling mangoes but we LOVE them here.

I am in the peel-then-slice camp... but they're abominably slippery that way. :p :D

And I am also in the camp that hovers over the sink & gnaws on the pit when I'm finished slicing, to make sure I got all the good stuff off. :D :D

Mangoes and Pineapples are grown locally. I had never heard of either device. I suspect that my wife would enjoy having something to take the skin off the Pineapples for her. We were in town, a month or so ago, and across the street from the shoe store where we were shopping, a man with a cart was selling Pineapple slices. She bought 2 Pineapples from him and she paid him to cut the skin off of them and slice them for her. Money well spent...

Mangoes...  Until our next door neighbors had to cut down their Mango trees on their side of the fence (the water table here is too close to ground level for those trees to do well),  we had lots of Mangos falling onto our lot. And, they brought Mangoes to us. I don't think my wife has a problem preparing Mangos. 

But, the Pineapple thing, I think my wife would go for that, if it works as advertised...

This is interesting.  I also *hate* peeling mangoes but we LOVE them here.

I am in the peel-then-slice camp... but they're abominably slippery that way. :p :D

And I am also in the camp that hovers over the sink & gnaws on the pit when I'm finished slicing, to make sure I got all the good stuff off. :D :D

I give the pit to the baby to gnaw on. Pure entertainment.

You mean you're not supposed to eat a mango peel?  I just did before opening this thread. I was wondering if it was okay since I pay attention to the Dirty Dozen/Clean 15 and mangoes are on the clean 15, but I wondered if that was minus the peel. However, since in most fruits and veges, nutrients are concentrated around the peel, I ate it!  :p Does anyone know anything about pesticides and the peel!

The pineapple corer thingee works fast as per the You tube linked, but doesn't it leave a lot of fruit behind?

And how does the mango splitter account for differences in seed size? I assume they aren't exactly the same.

I cut up at least two mangoes a day. Personally, I peel my mangoes first and then cut the fruit off. The scoring and scooping/scraping system isn't my thing. I think a tool that just separated the fruit from the pit wouldn't really be worth it.

Yeah, we eat a lot of mangoes and I always peel them first. The scoring seems like a pain in the rear, and also risky if you get too vigorous in a hurry. (My kids are usually standing around salivating, eating it as quickly as I can dish it out. And they do gnaw on the seeds as well, but I make them do that outside.) Yes, it's slippery but I use a sharp knife and I'm careful. But, it seems to me that you could peel them first and then use the gadget. Maybe don't peel the bottom so it doesn't slide around the cutting board? Or cut off a flat piece to make it stand up? 

42 seconds beats 3:27.

:D

Ha, ha. My time is more like a minute because I'm not trying to make it fancy like the guy in the video. But if I didn't have a pathological aversion to specialized kitchen tools, or enjoy impressing people with my amazing fruit dicing skills, I would totally be on your side:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm... I appear to deal with mangoes differently than most.  I slice off the peel starting on one side (those go into compost), then keep making slices into the flesh (those go into a bowl as I slice), and then I work my way around slicing off peel on the other side (I don't peel it all at once because it gets too slimy!  By the time I'm onto the second side, though, I'm slimed anyhow...).  Once all the peel is off, I just keep slicing till I'm down to the pit, and scrape off as much as possible.

I honestly think I like my way better than trying to scoop the flesh out of the peel (which you'd still have to do with the mango device thingy).

I find pineapple very easy to cut up (way better than mangoes - I just don't think there's a method for those that isn't a pain in some way or another - good thing they taste so good...).  I cut pineapple just like I do melon... cut lengthwise in quarters, cut off the core from each quarter (where I'd cut off seeds if it were a melon), then slice the pineapple into chunks right in the rind, and then finally take the knife to cut the pineapple off its peel, and dump the cut-up pieces right into a bowl.  No muss, no fuss.

ETA: Okay, my pineapple way is similar to that "Japanese style" video above, but I twist off the top first, and the core comes off, so I don't have to cut underneath it.  And cut up before slicing it off the peel so the pieces don't slide around.  And use a smaller knife than that guy!  You'll get closer to the rind.  My way's also faster than his. ;)

You could try this method. (If you want to skip the pretend gore, start at 1:38.)

I watched this video yesterday as well.  I have some mangoes sitting in the fridge waiting to attempt his method.  I've been too lazy to cut them so far.