Menu

What breed of dog should we get?

bnbacademy

I would have to agree.  We had a standard poodle when I was a kid (my dad always claimed he had no eyes as we NEVER clipped him.  ;) )  He was a fantastic family dog.  Of the standards I've known over the years, I have yet to meet a bad one.

However, I feel compelled to mention that when reading this to my border collie Trish, she told me (via ESP of course because we're connected like that) that one mustn't allow other dogs to be compared to borders; it's not good for their self-esteem.  They try the best they can...

Then she went back to her calculus homework.  

Willow said if trish needed help with her homework she'd be glad to help. She masterd calculus a long time ago. :lol:

Our "goldendoodle" is 3/4 standard poodle and 1/4 golden retriever and is a great dog. She has soft non-shedding wavy hair and is a bit less high strung than the standard poodles we've had and a bit smarter than the golden retrievers. We shave her in the summer and let her grow in the winter - so not high maintenance grooming. We've taken golden doodles rafting and backpacking, but they also are happy to just hang around the house all day. They're great family dogs and super cute too!

My avatar is a Klee Kai. Some people call them miniature huskies. It may not meet all of your criteria, but here are some positives:

ds's girlfriend raises klee kais.  she loves them.  she has other LARGE breeds - and yes, they may be small, but they are very bossy and they don't take no guff.

We have a Cavalier King Charles as well as our standard poodle. The cav sheds like no tomorrow! Don't even think of wearing black and coming anywheres near her! That being said she is a wonderful dog - but not the brightest bulb...

Ours is a Black and Tan so wearing white is the problem here lol. The furminator brush/comb helps a lot. All we wanted from a dog was love, snuggles and devotion lol and so the cavalier is perfect. I also wanted a reason to get out and walk more and that has been great too.

My sister had a Britney spaniel that was a really lovely family dog. That would be my second choice. I just love that spaniel face. I would love to get a second dog, another cavalier or another type of spaniel but dh is being all stubborn about it.

My sister had a Britney spaniel that was a really lovely family dog. That would be my second choice. I just love that spaniel face. I would love to get a second dog, another cavalier or another type of spaniel but dh is being all stubborn about it.

Maybe that one was better trained.  My friend had a Brittany for years, and I've never disliked a dog more.  Sooooo hyper.  Bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce.  Jumping all over all.the.time.  I do not like hyper pets... it could be that the dog needed a lot more exercise than my friend was able to give it as a working single mom, but you need to factor that in, if you have time to give a dog a *lot* of exercise...

Maybe that one was better trained. My friend had a Brittany for years, and I've never disliked a dog more. Sooooo hyper. Bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce. Jumping all over all.the.time. I do not like hyper pets... it could be that the dog needed a lot more exercise than my friend was able to give it as a working single mom, but you need to factor that in, if you have time to give a dog a *lot* of exercise...

After spending time with my sister's dog it is hard to imagine a hyper Brittany. He was so mellow. I guess that is the thing though. Dogs aren't just their breed. They have individual personalities too and if they aren't getting what they need in terms of exercise/attention, well, yikes. We have friends who rescued a golden doodle after the previous owner left it alone all day. It was super destructive and hyper. And it is the size of a small donkey lol. It took a long time before it calmed down.

I would love to have a standard poodle, but (1) I am a complete loser when it comes to grooming dogs (I have owned an Afghan hound and a show-quality cocker spaniel, which has almost as much coat as a poodle :svengo: ) and so have vowed never to own a coated-dog again until I can afford to have him groomed, and (b) Mr. Ellie is opposed to it for no good reason as far as I can tell. :laugh:

A miniature poodle would be just as good as a standard, just smaller. :-)

If you decide on a pure-bred dog, be sure to do your homework. Know what the AKC standard is, research breeders to be sure you find a reputable one (e.g., with poodles, the worst fault is parti-color; a parti-color makes just as good a pet as one that is not, but a reputable breeder won't make it sound like it's a special sort of poodle, and will not give you papers, will sell the pup for less, and might even have the pup spayed/neutered before selling it to you. Really. )

We have also owned a rescued greyhound, which was a wonderful dog, and now a rescued French bulldog, also a wonderful dog. Both fit my criteria of NO COAT, neither is high energy but both love their people.

We did enjoy French Fry the Wonder Dachshund (she has been rehomed), but she did have potty issues in the beginning, both here and in her new home; we were able to work through them and she's fine now...and I am very thankful that I have hardwood floors instead of carpet...o_0

Ours is a Black and Tan so wearing white is the problem here lol. The furminator brush/comb helps a lot. All we wanted from a dog was love, snuggles and devotion lol and so the cavalier is perfect. I also wanted a reason to get out and walk more and that has been great too.

Maybe that one was better trained.  My friend had a Brittany for years, and I've never disliked a dog more.  Sooooo hyper.  Bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce.  Jumping all over all.the.time.  I do not like hyper pets... it could be that the dog needed a lot more exercise than my friend was able to give it as a working single mom, but you need to factor that in, if you have time to give a dog a *lot* of exercise...

After spending time with my sister's dog it is hard to imagine a hyper Brittany. He was so mellow. I guess that is the thing though. Dogs aren't just their breed. They have individual personalities too and if they aren't getting what they need in terms of exercise/attention, well, yikes. We have friends who rescued a golden doodle after the previous owner left it alone all day. It was super destructive and hyper. And it is the size of a small donkey lol. It took a long time before it calmed down.

I have a Brittany.  In many ways they would meet the OP's criteria.  Most sources say they're light shedders, but I would classify mine as an average shedder.  BUT . . they really do need tons and tons of exercise.  More than most people can imagine or reasonably be expected to provide.  My Brittany is 14 years old and in all that time I've only recommended the breed to one family.  That was a couple who were mountain bikers.  The man would go one day while the wife stayed with their toddler, and the wife would go the next day while the man stayed home.  So the dog would have had an opportunity to run about 10 miles every day.  I told them that would probably be enough to meet a young Brittany's exercise needs.  And I wasn't exaggerating.  I'm sure mellow ones do exist, but they'd be much more the exception than the rule.  In general, all the pointing breeds need tremendous amounts of exercise.  I snicker every time someone says a Lab is high energy or needs a lot of exercise.  They're lazy couch potatoes compared to the pointing breeds.

I agree you have individual dog temperament + breed tendency + training + the "feel" of the household (dogs picking on the household emotional vibe.) Huskies are excellent dogs but you have to train them pretty intensely, and they will always have an instinct to run/escape, even though they are pack/family oriented, friendly, social, and great with kids. If you want to see crazy shedding google image "husky blowing coat." Insane amount of hair, twice per year or so.

I have a Brittany.  In many ways they would meet the OP's criteria.  Most sources say they're light shedders, but I would classify mine as an average shedder.  BUT . . they really do need tons and tons of exercise.  More than most people can imagine or reasonably be expected to provide.  My Brittany is 14 years old and in all that time I've only recommended the breed to one family.  That was a couple who were mountain bikers.  The man would go one day while the wife stayed with their toddler, and the wife would go the next day while the man stayed home.  So the dog would have had an opportunity to run about 10 miles every day.  I told them that would probably be enough to meet a young Brittany's exercise needs.  And I wasn't exaggerating.  I'm sure mellow ones do exist, but they'd be much more the exception than the rule.  In general, all the pointing breeds need tremendous amounts of exercise.  I snicker every time someone says a Lab is high energy or needs a lot of exercise.  They're lazy couch potatoes compared to the pointing breeds.

This is pretty much why I rarely recommend border collies to people, too.

Much as I love my dachsies (God bless 'em-- dumb as a post, but they're tenacious and fun) border collies are my favorite

But you have to have a fairly specific family lifestyle for a dog with such a high drive.  They need a job or they will create one and most people don't like what such a dog will come up with...  

I guess when we were deciding what our first dog would be I went for companion breeds because that is what we were basically looking for, no sheep to herd here lol. I wasn't looking for a watch dog or guard dog either. I narrowed it down to the cavalier and havanese. Dd really wanted a golden retriever but I was talked out of that by a friend who had one. She told me hers never outgrew chewing up everything. I think I chose well for out needs and even dh has come around to liking the dog.

I will be interested to see what you choose and how it works out. Good luck.

Our bloodhound matches all of your list, except perhaps the soft fur part. I'd say she is more sleek than actually furry, but she doesn't require grooming and rarely sheds. Since adding Molly to our family, I've met lots of other bloodhounds and all that I've met share her gentle temperament. I don't think we'll ever own a different breed of dog. The only downside is that she does drool at times (mostly after a drink). It isn't a deal breaker for us, but I know some find drooling dogs very annoying. That said, she's amazing with our children. Many dogs are wary of my Aspie son, but our bloodhound has always been patient with him even when he is oblivious to her cues and body language. I've been hugely impressed by this breed, and wouldn't hesitate to get another one. If I ever win a lottery, one thing I plan to do is to move somewhere with a very large fenced yard and to acquire more bloodhounds. My kids even have a slew of good hound names picked out already - Gracie, Floop, Bean, and Boudreaux. :D

I wish you were in Florida because I bet this little guy would fulfill your needs. Shoot, I want to run down there and pick him up myself except my dh would have a fit if I got another dog. :(  Bichon Frise make pretty darn good pets.

6798668d-515e-4c68-a935-20833b6bcebd.jpg

We have neighbors who have a Bichon and she's a sweetie. It's the coat-care that would be a deal-breaker for *me*. :-)

The miniature poodle we had was smart, easy to train, lovable, and an all around great dog. Unless he didn't get enough attention. Then he would pull the cushions off the couch and pee on them while he looked at me.

Poodles and Doodles - always recommended. Never a dog I could get behind. That curly hair...it just looks so absurd to me. *ducks flying tomatoes* Doodles seem like such a cliché to me. So many soccer moms, wearing their

UnderArmor sweatshirts, playing Fruit Ninja on their IPhones, eating a CLIF bar and holding the end of a retractable leash with a curly, poorly-trained Doodle at the other end.

I was shocked to see Laura Corin mention them. I thought they were purely an upper-middle American thing.

Poodles and Doodles - always recommended. Never a dog I could get behind. That curly hair...it just looks so absurd to me. *ducks flying tomatoes* Doodles seem like such a cliché to me. So many soccer moms, wearing their UnderArmor sweatshirts, playing Fruit Ninja on their IPhones, eating a CLIF bar and holding the end of a retractable leash with a curly, poorly-trained Doodle at the other end.

I was shocked to see Laura Corin mention them. I thought they were purely an upper-middle American thing.

Well, they're certainly trendy, although I don't know anyone personally who owns one. It's a designer dog, a very cute...mutt, for which people pay the same amount of money as for a pure-bred dog, sometimes even a show-quality pure-bred dog. (I feel the same way about any mixed-breed dog that has been given a cute name, like a "puggle." It's still a mutt. There's nothing wrong with being a mutt, and it doesn't take away from the dog's cuteness or special place in the family.)

Are rescue dogs always evaluated before being offered to potential families? We had obtained our mixed breeds as word of mouth. I am cautious to adopt a rescue from an organization due to the ?'s re: how they came to be a resident at the SPCA or such org.

I think it varies from organization to organization.

Locally we have two or three rescue groups in addition to the local city shelter. We've adopted from the city shelter for three of the dogs in my other post. Two were adopted as puppies and had been in the shelter since birth. In both cases they had already been given all but one set of puppy shots and we paid $75 to the shelter as an adoption fee and promised in writing to have the dog fixed. In exchange we were given the pup plus a voucher that took $75 off the vet costs for spaying/neutering. (Multiple vets locally accept the voucher.)

You could call your local shelter and they will be happy to tell you what evaluations and precautions they use at their location.

I have owned poodles of all sizes.  In my life I have owned 2 toys, 2 minis and we are now on our third standard.  They are all great dogs.  Our miniature poodles were great and so were our toys.  I do prefer the Standards overall, but they are all great.  I think part of the difference in their behaviors has to due with the way they are raised.  People are more likely to baby and spoil (not in a good way) smaller dogs, but they realize that a larger dog has to know some basic manners. 

Suzanne

Are rescue dogs always evaluated before being offered to potential families? We had obtained our mixed breeds as word of mouth. I am cautious to adopt a rescue from an organization due to the ?'s re: how they came to be a resident at the SPCA or such org.

Both of our rescues came from organizations that seem to be quite good.

Our greyhound was from Greyhound Pets of America; they did a home visit and spent quite a bit of time talking with us and telling us what it's like to own a greyhound. The rescued dogs go to their kennels to be evaluated before being adopted; most of the dogs came from race tracks.

I felt confident with the French Bulldog Rescue Network. I don't know how my Frenchie came to be rescued; I only know that he spent five years on a chain in someone's back yard before he was rescued. :cursing: His foster mom did a good job of evaluating his temperament  The descriptions of all the dogs include things such as whether or not the dogs are good with other dogs or other pets or small children or no children or whatever, and details regarding special health needs.

Most organizations will tell you how/why the animal came to be there.  At least as far as they know.  Unfortunately, many people lie about the reason when they surrender an animal.  Most shelters/rescues are pretty good at picking up on aggression issues that involve humans or other animals.  Other issues (like separation anxiety, housebreaking issues or possession aggression) are harder to detect in a shelter environment.  If you're really concerned, your best option is to look for a rescue group that has their dogs in foster homes.  Having a dog in a home environment makes it much easier to spot issues.

Most organizations will tell you how/why the animal came to be there.  At least as far as they know.  Unfortunately, many people lie about the reason when they surrender an animal.  Most shelters/rescues are pretty good at picking up on aggression issues that involve humans or other animals.  Other issues (like separation anxiety, housebreaking issues or possession aggression) are harder to detect in a shelter environment.  If you're really concerned, your best option is to look for a rescue group that has their dogs in foster homes.  Having a dog in a home environment makes it much easier to spot issues.

Thank you, I had not thought of the foster-dog programs available. 

I agree you have individual dog temperament + breed tendency + training + the "feel" of the household (dogs picking on the household emotional vibe.) Huskies are excellent dogs but you have to train them pretty intensely, and they will always have an instinct to run/escape, even though they are pack/family oriented, friendly, social, and great with kids. If you want to see crazy shedding google image "husky blowing coat." Insane amount of hair, twice per year or so.

With our husky, he was our last dog he only was only bad once a year...all year long. :lol:  Dh and I had him for the first 15 years of our marriage before dd came along.  I loved that dog, he was so sweet and so smart, hard headed and a runner.  My std poodle is smart and friendly and much easier to train, but doesn't have the street smarts that my husky had.  The husky did fine even in hot climates.  He lived in Texas for a few years and mostly lived in the south east. 

I have owned poodles of all sizes.  In my life I have owned 2 toys, 2 minis and we are now on our third standard.  They are all great dogs.  Our miniature poodles were great and so were our toys.  I do prefer the Standards overall, but they are all great.  I think part of the difference in their behaviors has to due with the way they are raised.  People are more likely to baby and spoil (not in a good way) smaller dogs, but they realize that a larger dog has to know some basic manners. 

Suzanne

The most common breed of dog Cesar Millan deals with is chihuahua--not pit bulls, not rottweilers, not any breed of dog we tend to think of as vicious. No. Cute little chihuahuas. People tend not to train their little bitty dogs.

The most common breed of dog Cesar Millan deals with is chihuahua--not pit bulls, not rottweilers, not any breed of dog we tend to think of as vicious. No. Cute little chihuahuas. People tend not to train their little bitty dogs.

I'm not sure anything worthwhile can be extrapolated from a silly (IMHO) TV show/media personality/self-styled "trainer."

If I were going to assume anything from it, it would be this . . . the show is likely filmed in/around Los Angeles.  From what I understand through rescue contacts, the "in" dog in that area is Chihuahuas (or was for the past few years).  So likely the dog population in the area is skewed heavily toward them, and thus one would expect to see more of them on said TV show simply because of demographics.

Plus CM has pitbulls, and so like most humans, it's very likely he wants to portray them in as favorable a light as possible.  How do you make "your" breed that has a (maybe undeserved) bad reputation appear to be not so bad?  You contrast it with a breed that's the total opposite in terms of size and ability to do serious harm.

My favorite dogs are Boxers and Portuguese Water Dogs. We've owned both. Splash was my first Portie. So much fun. He died in March at 10 from cancer. I now have an adorable 12 week old Portie sleeping next to me. Only thing on list that doesn't fit is that you do have to groom them. For us we wash and brush once a week per allergist orders. He gets haircut every two to three months. Their hair comes both curly and wavy. Splash and Jasper both have wavy hair. Boxer was a no due to daughter's reaction to their fur. PWDS hair is lower maintenance than poodle hair in my experience.

I'm not sure anything worthwhile can be extrapolated from a silly (IMHO) TV show/media personality/self-styled "trainer."

If I were going to assume anything from it, it would be this . . . the show is likely filmed in/around Los Angeles.  From what I understand through rescue contacts, the "in" dog in that area is Chihuahuas (or was for the past few years).  So likely the dog population in the area is skewed heavily toward them, and thus one would expect to see more of them on said TV show simply because of demographics.

Plus CM has pitbulls, and so like most humans, it's very likely he wants to portray them in as favorable a light as possible.  How do you make "your" breed that has a (maybe undeserved) bad reputation appear to be not so bad?  You contrast it with a breed that's the total opposite in terms of size and ability to do serious harm.

We tried to get a dog from a local shelter.  Something like 95% of the dogs in the shelters were either pit bulls or chihuahuas or mixes thereof. 

How do you make "your" breed that has a (maybe undeserved) bad reputation appear to be not so bad?  You contrast it with a breed that's the total opposite in terms of size and ability to do serious harm.

as far as deaths from dog attacks, 85% last year were from one breed/mix. almost always they were unprovoked. (and not ever by a small dog.)  many were children playing, some were elderly adults.  some were members of the dog owners own family. 

I think she's probably right. 

Toys, in general, are more likely to have attitude problems and it's because they're pampered, not the breed themselves.  Ie, they're moved to the top of the family's/pack's pecking order where they assume they're supposed to be top-dog.  Big dogs, on the other hand, tend to be treated more like a dog and kept in a typical dog-position within the family's hierarchy.

I've known a lot of chihuahuas, too, and they're usually pretty good dogs.  However, the chihuahuas I've known weren't pampered purse-pets, sleeping on mistress's pillow.  They're just dogs who happen to fit better on a lap in the evening than the lab does.  ;) 

When we were ready to get a dog, after my daughter asked for several years for one, we knew we would get one from a rescue agency. Our criteria were that he get along with cats, not shed too much, be sweet tempered and not too large. After only 2 months of looking at all the local shelters we went to Petsmart's adopt-a-dog event one Saturday and found the perfect dog. He's just a mixed-breed, probably part poodle because of the type of hair he has, but he is perfect. Sweetest tempered dog I've ever owned or been around. We have his hair cut and groomed about every 6-8 weeks. I say all this to say that there are so many dogs in shelters/rescue homes who need homes, maybe the breed isn't so important.

My oldest daughter is a vet tech and she has three dogs. Her first one is a French bulldog she adopted from French Bulldog Network. Her second, a boxer from a boxer rescue agency, and her third is a mixed-breed dog someone tortured and abandoned that someone brought into her vet office for help. They ended up amputating one of his legs and she took him home to foster him while he recovered. He's such a sweetie that she kept him, too. So if you want a particular breed you can check out breed-rescue agencies, too.

I'm not trying to extrapolate anything (and he specifically says he is not a trainer); I'm just saying that on his show, which has been filmed all over the U.S., there have been more chihuahuas than other breeds, and there has been a pretty good representation of breeds..

Not gonna get in a fight with anyone over Cesar Millan, so this is all I have to say.

We just adopted a puppy this week through a rescue organization. She's a shepherd-beagle-lab mix. The lab part is actually the part that isn't known for sure but it's what she looks like, to the point that every walk we take we meet people who compliment us on our "cute lab puppy". It's our first dog (for me and dh also). We chose her because good friends do foster care for the rescue and had been caring for her the past few months. We had been thinking about a dog for awhile and then realized that we had this chance to get a dog that already knew our kids, had proven herself to be very tolerant of kids (including our 4 year old), is active and playful but not so much so that we can't keep up, and is pretty calm, gentle and laid-back in personality. The breed for us was much less important than the individual personality. I can't speak for all rescue groups but the one we used was very thorough, to the point that I wasn't sure we'd pass muster. :) Our situation was unique in that we knew the foster family but I'd recommend the general approach. 

We have neighbors who have a Bichon and she's a sweetie. It's the coat-care that would be a deal-breaker for *me*. :-)

We have a bichon frise and I keep his coat short. He goes to the groomer every 2 months.

So it doesn't meet the no groomers part but they definitely do not have to be high maintenance puff balls. LOL