Menu

What fun extras have sneaked into your homeschool budget?

I've seen thread after thread of what everyone is doing for whatever grade plus all their extra-curricular activities but what I want to know is..... what kind of fun stuff does everyone plan to buy as fun, little extras?  Documentary DVDs, math games, language arts games, online subscriptions....... whatever!  What has sneaked into your homeschool budget for the upcoming year?

Also, when do you plan on using these fun things? 

Supplements?

Rainy day fun?

Burn out preventing fun?

I think the EXTRAS can be the most fun part of homeschooling and that is usually where the memories are made. 

We have used things like science documentaries, Liberty's Kids, etc. when Dh travels for work and I need some downtime during the day to catch up on chores or relax for a few mins in peace. We might wrap up school an hr or two early and then they watch something, which isn't typically part of a normal school day for us.

Lots of Usborne books, lots of library books, Life of Fred as a fun supplement, take a break from Saxon semester, zoo passes, lots of field trips to the aquarium, tide pools, farm, etc., McGuffey readers for narration stories/writing, Mudpies to Magnets, science fun, pinterest supplements for science experiments and history projects, lots of Colonial American history books, crafts and projects.

I have three boys and they love rocks. I found a cool rock assortment on rainbow resource that I think I will buy just so we can look at them and know them by name. Then we can try to find them on our hikes, walks, etc! I also want to get annual passes to the science museum. It's an hour and a half from us, so I haven't decided yet. I also really want something from Lego Education, but it would be a pricey 'extra'. Like others, I also will buy a few new apps for the ipad.

Cookies for poetry tea! ;)

Lauri toys for the toddlers.

I just bought Hungry Fish math app for the iPad.

Really, I'm just following the thread here. :)

I know! Trying to see if there's anything fun that I "need"!

1-2 different zoo/museum memberships at any given time 
music lessons

dance class
year-round nature program 
state park pass 
Little Passports subscription
subscription to National Geographic Little Kids magazine
subscription to reflexmath.com 

Amazon Prime and Netflix for streaming video 

The Great Courses lectures (yes, this is mostly fun for me, but I've caught the kids actually enjoying some of the lectures)

Activity books from the book store (I figure even if they are geared towards younger ages than mine and easy they can be a fun break from time to time, especially when brains feel dead or anyone is burned out)

Adding my infant nephew to our homeschool (unexpected need for daytime child care; watching him learn, and watching the kids learn about how babies learn is a lot of fun)

impromptu lessons along the way on road trips and errand runs

talking to candidates or those stumping for them when I went to vote in a local election

Ninjabread men (cookie cutters found on Think Geek website)

setting up a sprinkler underneath the trampoline (so it shoots up through the jumping surface) -- PE!

taking "snow" days when sleet or grapple hit our area (which usually gets snow about once every 9 years), driving through snow (and stopping to play in it) on our way to South Dakota

Getting a "new" cousin in SD to play with, Kubotas for driving lessons and driving Grandma Betty, sheep to feed (visited family who have a sheep ranch)

Grandma Betty's potato masher (she gave it to me -- she had been using it for more than 70 years to make suppers for the people she loves) -- this brought with it stories of Grandma's past, lessons on how to make do on very little money, how work-out little things can be the most precious items a person owns

Basically we look for anything fun and silly to loosen things up whenever we can.  If the kids find something they like the looks of they point it out or ask about it, and if the budget allows we usually get it.  Other than that we find that treasures appear along the way when we aren't looking -- we just need to spot them.  Sometimes they come along when we most need something to cheer us up.

This summer I grabbed a 10-minute science book and will let the kids work through that.  I also got a cookbook with kid-friendly recipes that they can try making solo.  For next fall I bought a Health book that is full of experiments.  Normally we just do read alouds to cover body systems and such, so I think the experiments will be a fun add in.  We also use Reflex Math and card games which the kids enjoy.  Our big investment recently has been lego.  The kids have just started to get in to it and are enjoying building.

It looks like both my dd's just want a git-r-done education, I may have to add in some sneaky extras. :rolleyes:

ArtPac (art workbook. Yes, this is an extra in our house)

Cooking with Science

Super Science Concoctions

Mad Libs

You've Been Sentenced-- board game

Rory's Story Cubes

Real World Math Game

Roll and Multiply game

Nouns, Verbs and More Card game

On the Banks of Plum Creek-- audio book

Mr. Popper's Penguins-- audio book

Stuart Little-- audio book

science center membership

local museum membership

2 new logic games

the older Dragon Box

silly putty and kinetic sand

science kits

a computer programming course for the oldest who was begging for it.

This summer I grabbed a 10-minute science book and will let the kids work through that. I also got a cookbook with kid-friendly recipes that they can try making solo. For next fall I bought a Health book that is full of experiments. Normally we just do read alouds to cover body systems and such, so I think the experiments will be a fun add in. We also use Reflex Math and card games which the kids enjoy. Our big investment recently has been lego. The kids have just started to get in to it and are enjoying building.

What is the health book with the experiments, please?

What is the health book with the experiments, please?

here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Me-Develop-Health-Safety/dp/1556523599/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399557355&sr=8-1&keywords=healthy+me

It describes it as a science book, but it's all the topics we cover for health.  I am very much looking forward to the activity where they study germs on their hands.  I'm hoping actually seeing the nasty stuff that hides there will encourage my kids to be more thorough with washing. 

It's for younger kids, but I'm hoping to make it exciting enough for my 10 year old to enjoy as well.

here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Me-Develop-Health-Safety/dp/1556523599/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399557355&sr=8-1&keywords=healthy+me

It describes it as a science book, but it's all the topics we cover for health. I am very much looking forward to the activity where they study germs on their hands. I'm hoping actually seeing the nasty stuff that hides there will encourage my kids to be more thorough with washing.

It's for younger kids, but I'm hoping to make it exciting enough for my 10 year old to enjoy as well.

Ah, thank you. Do you know of any health experiment books good for those going into puberty? (Older kids who roll their eyes when presented with "little kid" stuff)

Ah, thank you. Do you know of any health experiment books good for those going into puberty? (Older kids who roll their eyes when presented with "little kid" stuff)

No, sorry.  :(  You could try some of the body system kits from Little Labs, maybe?  They have you make model hearts, lungs, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

science museum membership

K'nex Bridges kit

water park membership

Dragon Box app

bi-weekly art classes at local pottery place

gym membership

Djeco Colored Sand art kit

Games - Zeus on the Loose, Albert's Insomnia, 7 Ate 9, Totally Tut, Animal Upon Animal, Sumoku, 10 Days in Africa

Netflix & Prime

I'm pretty sure most of what we have is considered "extras"!

Lego Early Simple Machines Set

Caterpillar-to-butterfly kit

Memberships to zoo and children's science center

Gymnastics, swim, and violin lessons

The Story of the Orchestra and lots of new CDs of classical music

Roku and Netflix

Young-child-friendly microscope

GeoPuzzles set

Many board games

My favorite - new desks and shelving!

Considering:

Dreambox subscription

José-Luis Orozco CDs

Thames and Kosmos sets

Zometool

I think some of the aspects of the Brave Writer lifestyle are pretty fun: Tuesday Poetry Teas, Movie Wednesdays complete with popcorn. . .

I also really want our Fridays to be dedicated to just the fun stuff this year. 

In the mix:

-free write

-nature study or experiment (determined by weather)

-art!!

-History projects- I'd like to do at least one per quarter (abookintime.com has loads of ideas)

-Educational Games or maybe even NON-educational games ((GASP!!))

I know field trips would be loads of fun, but I accept that they will be few and far between right now simply because of the ages of my kids.  SOO, Mama needs make home a fun place!

I'm combining both middle schooler's science.  I let them pick the type of science and they chose Chemistry so we are going all out and taking lots of time w/ the periodic table.  I bought them a board game and cards w/ all the elements and also have a ton of short youtube videos saved to watch on it.  Then we'll go on with the rest of the year doing whatever suits them in their chemistry work.  But as a break from all that, I got the big-daddy Snap Circuits kit (750) and other fun things that will make learning electricity fun. 

I also bought chalk pastels and saved two or three links where they can take free lessons of all types.  I bought colored wax and have the videos saved for that to take off.  When school supplies hit the stores I plan to really stock up on art supplies, more than ever this year and we will explore art in fun ways with different mediums. 

The best thing I did, though, this year, is changed history and science from a 5 day a week thing to a 2 day a week thing.   The schedule is full but feels so much more relaxed now and the kids should have more time to explore some fun stuff w/ the extra tim.e