Menu

I'd start an Ask An Episcopalian thread, but

Chris in VA

Do you think the Anglican Communion is headed for an inevitable schism between the more traditional wing and the more liberal wing? Or do you think that it can be healed? My mom's family is Episcopalian/Anglican (depending on how liberal or conservative they are) and looking at them having theological debates at big family events it's hard for me to picture how the global communion can resolve the thorny issues.

ETA: 30 years ago, they all would've self-identified as "Episcopalian". Now the more conservative ones consider themselves "Anglican" as a way of distancing themselves from the ECUSA. Kind of like the Lutheran-Missouri Synod folks always make a distinction between themselves and the ELCA.

Can we clear up the terminology, because this Brit gets confused?  In the UK, the terms 'Church of England' and 'Anglican' are used interchangeably - there is no doctrinal difference between the two terms, as far as I know.  And the term 'Episcopal' is only used (as far as I know) in Scotland (maybe Wales and Northern Ireland?) in order to avoid imposing the word 'England' or 'Anglican'.

Am I right that in the US, Episcopalian congregations are more liberal and Anglican more conservative?  

L

Can we clear up the terminology, because this Brit gets confused? In the UK, the terms 'Church of England' and 'Anglican' are used interchangeably - there is no doctrinal difference between the two terms, as far as I know. And the term 'Episcopal' is only used (as far as I know) in Scotland (maybe Wales and Northern Ireland?) in order to avoid imposing the word 'England' or 'Anglican'.

Am I right that in the US, Episcopalian congregations are more liberal and Anglican more conservative?

L

Interesting. I know Presbyterian as being a mostly Scottish affiliation. Church of England was all about Henry IIIV and his "divorce" from the Roman Catholic church.

But yes, some ground terminology for all is a good thing.

Interesting. I know Presbyterian as being a mostly Scottish affiliation. Church of England was all about Henry IIIV and his "divorce" from the Roman Catholic church.

Yes - Scotland is mostly Presbyterian but there is a Scottish Episcopal Church as well as many Catholics and people of other faiths.

L

As a former Episcopalian, I'll give this a shot until Chris comes back and she can correct any errors.

Honestly, I have no prior knowledge or reference.

Is the Episcopal Church kind of the American version of the Church of England? Do you believe in transubstantiation?

Yes to the first. The Episcopal Church organized after the American Revolution in order to break ties with England. As for transubstantiation, we were told that Episcopalians can believe whatever they personally want to believe about the Eucharist--symbol or real presence.

Can we clear up the terminology, because this Brit gets confused?  In the UK, the terms 'Church of England' and 'Anglican' are used interchangeably - there is no doctrinal difference between the two terms, as far as I know.  And the term 'Episcopal' is only used (as far as I know) in Scotland (maybe Wales and Northern Ireland?) in order to avoid imposing the word 'England' or 'Anglican'.

L

At least in my area of the US (Southeast), this is true.

How is your church governed/structured? Are there lay leaders as well as the priests?

We are Episcopal, which means we have bishops. These are in Apostolic Succession, which means they can trace their ordination back to the apostles (in theory anyway). This was to keep the teachings pure. The Presiding Bishop does not have a diocese (a "territory") but is equal to all other bishops, just takes more of a leadership role. We have 2 "forms" of other clergy--priests, who may marry, and deacons, who cannot consecrate the Eucharist, but can lead a Communion service (called Mass in many churches). All priest and all bishops first become deacons, and remain deacons even if they get ordained as priests or deacons--deacons are to serve, so it is a handy reminder! lol

We also have lay Eucharistic ministers--these may read in the service (we have 4 scripture readings during the service--one OT, one NT, one psalm and one Gospel--varies slightly, but that's in general) and serve the Communion wine.

We also have a vestry--traditionally 12 members, including the Rector (head honcho clergy). These are elected from the congregation and generally serve 3 years. Two members of the same family cannot serve at the same time. Some parishes have less vestry members and a few have 13 or 14.

Is the Episcopal Church kind of the American version of the Church of England? Do you believe in transubstantiation?

Yes, it is part of the Anglican Communion. We believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist--a noncommittal way of saying it is not just a memorial, but we don't know exactly what happens but Jesus is present. 'Pissies are like that--we leave some things as Mystery.

Do you think the Anglican Communion is headed for an inevitable schism between the more traditional wing and the more liberal wing? Or do you think that it can be healed? My mom's family is Episcopalian/Anglican (depending on how liberal or conservative they are) and looking at them having theological debates at big family events it's hard for me to picture how the global communion can resolve the thorny issues.

ETA: 30 years ago, they all would've self-identified as "Episcopalian". Now the more conservative ones consider themselves "Anglican" as a way of distancing themselves from the ECUSA. Kind of like the Lutheran-Missouri Synod folks always make a distinction between themselves and the ELCA.

Yep. Sadly.

Well, we have a nice connection to the Scottish church---Bishops had to take an oath of loyalty to the English king. That didn't fly during the Am Revolution, so we had Bishop Seabury get ordained by the Scots. Then after the Rev, they changed the rites, and we no longer had to have new bishops take the oath.

Is there a way to tell whether a particular Episcopalian church is liberal or conservative? I've looked before and couldn't find anything definitive. We have considered trying out a local Episcopalian church, but apparently some churches allow gay clergy and others don't, and apparently it is impossible to tell which is which, without coming right out and asking.

I am Catholic, my husband is Wisconsin synod Lutheran, and we have considered finding a neutral church (neutral to us), just so our family can go to church together. At the moment we aren't going to church at all. We are both conservative and prefer liturgical, so there are not a whole lot of options out there.

I'm curious about how the hierarchical / institutional structure works... back quite a while ago when we lived in New Jersey, dear friends of ours were good friends with Shelby Spong, then bishop of Newark... At the time, I assumed the "bishop" structure was more or less equivalent to the hierarchy in the Roman Catholic church (with centralized decisionmaking, assignments to local parishes, financial discretion over many issues, etc...), but the Episcopal churches here seem to have full autonomy in clergy selection and in retaining the bulk of local finances... how do these issues work?

Re Anglican vs Episcopalian--

Some Episcopalian churches (all US) have broken ties and become Anglican. This is over the ordination of women and homosexuals. (They will say it is about scripture in general, but those are the two main issues that come up.)They tend to be more conservative in this way. The jury is out a bit on whether they are accepted into the Anglican communion. See, bishops are over a diocese--if you have a liberal (in those two ways) bishop, but your congregation is holding to the traditional view, then your priest/clergy/vestry may vote to leave the diocese and ask to be placed under the leadership of another bishop. Some are under the leadership of Bishops from other countries! The problems with this are many--including property disputes. It's a very sad and heartwrenching deal.

We also have the variants between high and low church (Broad church is in the middle). High churchmen could be using incense, crossing themselves, using fancier vestments on the clergy, etc. Low church now has to do Eucharist every Sunday, but used to do Morning Prayer (a non-Eucharist service) instead and have Eucharist less frequently. We are a mix at our church--I cross myself (but I use the Orthodox way because I see it as a symbol of unity between me and my Orthodox Sisters), and dh wears the fancy stuff, but we use a liturgy that doesn't have the Thees and Thous.

Yes - Scotland is mostly Presbyterian but there is a Scottish Episcopal Church as well as many Catholics and people of other faiths.

L

Well, yes, I also understand that during Mary Queen of Scots Reign, there were many Catholic... leanings.

I've

always wondered, how Protestants (for lack of a term) are Presbyterians. Do they accept the body or blood of Jesus?

Is there a way to tell whether a particular Episcopalian church is liberal or conservative? I've looked before and couldn't find anything definitive. We have considered trying out a local Episcopalian church, but apparently some churches allow gay clergy and others don't, and apparently it is impossible to tell which is which, without coming right out and asking.

I am Catholic, my husband is Wisconsin synod Lutheran, and we have considered finding a neutral church (neutral to us), just so our family can go to church together. At the moment we aren't going to church at all. We are both conservative and prefer liturgical, so there are not a whole lot of options out there.

Check the website of the church. It'll tell you a lot.

If not, call and ask. Direct is best.

I'm curious about how the hierarchical / institutional structure works... back quite a while ago when we lived in New Jersey, dear friends of ours were good friends with Shelby Spong, then bishop of Newark... At the time, I assumed the "bishop" structure was more or less equivalent to the hierarchy in the Roman Catholic church (with centralized decisionmaking, assignments to local parishes, financial discretion over many issues, etc...), but the Episcopal churches here seem to have full autonomy in clergy selection and in retaining the bulk of local finances... how do these issues work?

A parish calls their own priest. The bishop must approve, but doesn't appoint. We are fiscally autonomous. The "main office" in New York (known colloqually as 815, based on the address) asks each parish to donate part of their budget to finance the national church, and churches also send $ to the diocese (the local group of parishes).

Because of the controversies in our denomination, many parishes tell parishoners they may choose how to send their donations--you can, in our congregation, for example, direct your offering just to our parish, to our parish and the diocese but not the nat'l church, or all 3. It's a bit of a protest.

Back in the day I was Christened in the Church of England. My mother was Catholic and my dad was Atheist. He wouldn't go to Catholic class in order for me to be christened in the Catholic Church. So my mother decided to get it done in the Church of England, which didn't have such strict requirements. She really just wanted the ceremony and pictures.  My sisters weren't Christened, which was extremely confusing to me growing up when people asked me my religion. My mother was Catholic, I was Anglican and my dad and sisters didn't have a religion. I really don't know much about the Anglican faith. (I am now a muslim)

Do Episcopalians believe that one needs to be baptized/christened?

Would an Episcopalian church christen a baby where none of the parents went to the Church?

A parish calls their own priest. The bishop must approve, but doesn't appoint. We are fiscally autonomous. The "main office" in New York (known colloqually as 815, based on the address) asks each parish to donate part of their budget to finance the national church, and churches also send $ to the diocese (the local group of parishes).

Because of the controversies in our denomination, many parishes tell parishoners they may choose how to send their donations--you can, in our congregation, for example, direct your offering just to our parish, to our parish and the diocese but not the nat'l church, or all 3. It's a bit of a protest.

So the local parish in essence determines how much support it provides to the diocese and bishop and national level institutions? At its own local-level discretion?  

Re Anglican vs Episcopalian--

Some Episcopalian churches (all US) have broken ties and become Anglican. This is over the ordination of women and homosexuals. (They will say it is about scripture in general, but those are the two main issues that come up.)They tend to be more conservative in this way. The jury is out a bit on whether they are accepted into the Anglican communion. See, bishops are over a diocese--if you have a liberal (in those two ways) bishop, but your congregation is holding to the traditional view, then your priest/clergy/vestry may vote to leave the diocese and ask to be placed under the leadership of another bishop. Some are under the leadership of Bishops from other countries! The problems with this are many--including property disputes. It's a very sad and heartwrenching deal.

And again, such a decision to cut ties with the existing bishop / national level institutions would lie solely in the hands of the local parish?  And in practice, have such requests to be placed with other Bishops in other regions / countries been accepted?  

L

Not exactly.

The worldwide body is the Anglican Communion. The most known branch is the Church of England, but there are Anglicans all over. In Scotland and in the USA the church was called Episcopal instead of Anglican to avoid hard feelings regarding the English. So the official branch of the Anglican Communion here is the Episcopal Church. (the actual name is longer, but Episcopal is what everyone uses). 

Now, there are some people that broke off of the Episcopal Church, and are NOT in communion with the worldwide Anglican Communion. And some that broke off and ARE in communion with the Anglican Communion, but under the headship of various African dioceses. Both tend to call themselves Anglican. So some of those are in communion with the Anglican Communion but NOT under the auspices of the Episcopal Church, and some are not in communion with anyone, including the Anglican Communion, but still call themselves Anglican. 

And then some, but very few, parishes refer to themselves as Anglican but ARE part of the Episcopal Church. THOSE are trying to show they are more conservative perhaps, or maybe just more "high" in the sense of being more Anglo-Catholic. 

And finally, to muddy the waters more, there are Episcopal parishes that broke off and joined the Roman Catholic Church en masse, and we have one locally. But they call themselves Catholic now. there was some confusion in the interim though. 

How is your church governed/structured? Are there lay leaders as well as the priests?

Not sure if this is what you mean by "lay leaders" but there is a Vestry in every parish, a group of lay people that make decisions on financial matters, etc. They also interviews priests when  new one is needed, etc. 

The term is not taught/believed, it is an outdated term that makes no sense in light of modern physics. The catechism still specifically denies it, I believe. That said, most Episcopalians believe in the "Real Presence"...that Jesus is somehow present, but the exact method is not known. It's a mystery. 

Back in the day I was Christened in the Church of England. My mother was Catholic and my dad was Atheist. He wouldn't go to Catholic class in order for me to be christened in the Catholic Church. So my mother decided to get it done in the Church of England, which didn't have such strict requirements. She really just wanted the ceremony and pictures.  My sisters weren't Christened, which was extremely confusing to me growing up when people asked me my religion. My mother was Catholic, I was Anglican and my dad and sisters didn't have a religion. I really don't know much about the Anglican faith. (I am now a muslim)

Do Episcopalians believe that one needs to be baptized/christened?

Would an Episcopalian church christen a baby where none of the parents went to the Church?

Yes, they believe one needs to be baptized, or at least "should" be baptized. You have to be baptized (in any denomination) to receive communion.

As for the baptism, depend on the parish and the situation. Some have very strict requirements, such as having to attend a certain number of services first. Often though that number isn't huge...locally I think it is 8 services, plus attend the class on baptism. However, I'm sure there are parishes with no requirements other than the baptism class. And if the situation was that at least one parent was a devout Catholic, and attended Mass regularly, but due to circumstances couldn't have the baby baptized in the Catholic church, (not how it works now), then yes, I can see the priest in the Episcopal church doing it without the parents attending the Epsicopal church at all.

Yes, they believe one needs to be baptized, or at least "should" be baptized. You have to be baptized (in any denomination) to receive communion.

This was not my experience. The Episcopal church services I attended were very clear that "all were welcome at the table". That kind of inclusive, clear-eyed approach has endeared the Episcopal church to me. Why emphasize the illusion of separation?

If you are looking for a conservative church, you can look for a church listed on the ACNA (Anglican Church of North America) website. The ACNA is made up of parishes that have left the Episcopal Church because of theological differences.

This was not my experience. The Episcopal church services I attended were very clear that "all were welcome at the table". That kind of inclusive, clear-eyed approach has endeared the Episcopal church to me. Why emphasize the illusion of separation?

This was how my church was also. It was even printed in the bulletin. When the bishop was present, it was taken out of the bulletin for the day, but he still knew our priest's policy.

Not exactly.

The worldwide body is the Anglican Communion. The most known branch is the Church of England, but there are Anglicans all over. In Scotland and in the USA the church was called Episcopal instead of Anglican to avoid hard feelings regarding the English. So the official branch of the Anglican Communion here is the Episcopal Church. (the actual name is longer, but Episcopal is what everyone uses). 

Now, there are some people that broke off of the Episcopal Church, and are NOT in communion with the worldwide Anglican Communion. And some that broke off and ARE in communion with the Anglican Communion, but under the headship of various African dioceses. Both tend to call themselves Anglican. So some of those are in communion with the Anglican Communion but NOT under the auspices of the Episcopal Church, and some are not in communion with anyone, including the Anglican Communion, but still call themselves Anglican. 

Oy, this is starting to sound like the Jews, LOL.  (That's good, makes it easier for me to relate.  My eldest daughter is currently living in Edinburgh.  The total Jewish population is, I dunno, a couple hundred families?  There are three very-observant and entirely distinct communities, with no one except bumbling Americans like her darkening the thresholds of anyone else's doors....)

Anyway, so... there is a worldwide organization as well?  That at least a lot of the regional institutions belong to?  Is there a position at the head of this organization?  What powers / authorities (doctrinal or appointment or financial or other) does the worldwide institution have?

And... of the parishes that have broken off from their own bishop and aligned with other diocese... why have they chosen to align with African dioceses, rather than with European ones?  I would imagine (?) that US-African alignment would create its own complexities?

And again, such a decision to cut ties with the existing bishop / national level institutions would lie solely in the hands of the local parish?  And in practice, have such requests to be placed with other Bishops in other regions / countries been accepted?

The parish where one of my relatives is a deacon broke away from the ECUSA maybe a decade ago and is now affiliated with an Anglican church based in Africa. The decision was very controversial and split the previous congregation. The majority supported the leadership's decision to cut ties but a substantial minority left for another congregation.

I want to pop in to say that. like in many denominations, there is the "official" teaching, and then there are people who do not follow that.

The "official" position of the Episcopal Church is that one must be baptised to receive Eucharist. The Eucharist is open in that it is available to all who are baptised in the Episcopal church OR baptised in their own Christian denomination and able to receive there (as opposed to Catholic parishes, for example, where you need to be Catholic to receive).

However, there is a movement to allow an open table in a different sense--that is, to allow non-baptised people to receive. This is not officially sanctioned, but you may find it, much as you may find a Catholic priest who will give the sacrament to a non-Catholic.

The Episcopal Church does not see it as an illusion of separation.

Anyway, so... there is a worldwide organization as well?  That at least a lot of the regional institutions belong to?  Is there a position at the head of this organization?  What powers / authorities (doctrinal or appointment or financial or other) does the worldwide institution have?

The worldwide organization is the Anglican Communion. The Archbishop of Canterbury is the head of this organization. They have an interesting "authority"--the Archbishop is "first among equals" (as opposed, say, to the Pope).

And... of the parishes that have broken off from their own bishop and aligned with other diocese... why have they chosen to align with African dioceses, rather than with European ones?  I would imagine (?) that US-African alignment would create its own complexities?

They chose to align with some of the African bishops because they shared the same views. And, because the African bishops were willing to risk allowing them to come into their fold, so to speak--it is a bold move, unprecedented in the Anglican Communion, to say you don't want to be under your bishop and seek another.

What should have been said, is that "All baptized Christians" are welcome at the table. Any denomination is fine. But Baptism is a requirement.

However, there is a movement to allow an open table in a different sense--that is, to allow non-baptised people to receive. This is not officially sanctioned, but you may find it, much as you may find a Catholic priest who will give the sacrament to a non-Catholic.

The Episcopal Church does not see it as an illusion of separation.

What is the impetus behind this movement? I'm wondering both why a non-baptized person would want to receive the eucharist and why some in the church would feel that was important to allow. Does the church believe that the eucharist would confer grace upon non-Christians? Or that there are many Christians who have not been baptized and that it isn't important for them to do so? Or....? I hope this doesn't sound like a disrespectful question. I am genuinely curious about the answer.

Elaine

What should have been said, is that "All baptized Christians" are welcome at the table. Any denomination is fine. But Baptism is a requirement.

That was not what was being communicated, inclusiveness/non-separation was what was being extended which is, of course, the very essence of Communion...

And what she and I both said is that this was not the case at our parishes. In our bulletin, it said: "If you are visiting -------, please know that all persons who seek God and are drawn to Christ are welcome to receive Holy Communion." This was also announced each Sunday, more explicitly, by the priest. The bishop knew this was done, but asked that on the days he was presiding at our parish, that sentence be omitted from the bulletin and the priest not make that particular announcement.

What is the impetus behind this movement? I'm wondering both why a non-baptized person would want to receive the eucharist and why some in the church would feel that was important to allow. Does the church believe that the eucharist would confer grace upon non-Christians? Or that there are many Christians who have not been baptized and that it isn't important for them to do so? Or....? I hope this doesn't sound like a disrespectful question. I am genuinely curious about the answer.

Elaine

I'm curious about this as well.  Does it mean the movement will allow anyone to partake? (Buddhist, Wiccan, Jew, Baptist) or that the person self-identify as Christian?   I'm wondering where/if there is a line drawn?

Elaine

Well, the impetus is the feeling that it is more "welcoming" to allow non-baptised folks to take Eucharist.

Here's a little bit that shows the process of discernment at work (lol--I'm joking a bit)--a snippet (a long snippet) from a General Convention that dealt with this question.

Open Table?

I attend an "All Are Welcome At the Table" Episcopal church. As baptized Christians, we take communion together because we are part of the community - "one body, one cup" and it is one of the things that our Lord commanded - that when we eat and drink, we remember Him. We offer it to others as a way to join with us in Christ if that's what they want to do. There are other sacraments we share with folks that aren't baptized - marriage, reconciliation, unction, etc.

Worst case - they don't want to join the community and still eat the bread and drink the wine? No harm done and we have followed Jesus' command to Feed the Hungry. Though if you are just there for the bread, you might want to hold out for the donuts at coffee hour instead.

Not to argue theology because I'm lousy at that and I know there are folks that feel strongly that the Eucharist should be restricted to those baptized. Just trying to explain why WE do it.

Do you find the term WASP to be pejorative, or is it sometimes ok to use?

WTH - a "WASP"? You mean like all Episcopals are White? Yes I would find that to be very offensive. Just as as offensive as a statement that all Baptists are Black. Racism has no place in the church of Christ - regardless of the denomination.

I've never heard the term WASP applied to Episcopals. It must be a regional thing - I've only heard it as a rather rude slam on white women.

ETA - there are Episcopal churches all over Alaska. Some of our best loved priests and deacons are not white. And definitely not Anglosaxon.

Is there a position at the head of this organization?  

NM - already answered above.

L

I'm interested in this as well. The Catholic church has had a bit of a surge in Anglican priests converting. Our own (catholic) parish priest is a married former Anglican priest, who left the church, because of the issues noted above (I think - I haven't questioned him in depth about it, lol).

White Anglo-Saxon Protestant?

LOL--is your subtext saying Episcopalians are WASPS?

Not that all Episcopalians are WASPs. But that if someone says WASP, I think they mean someone who is Episcopalian - or other similar 'high church', non-evangelical, non-Catholic Christians. And also white from a Western European background. And well off.

I think of it as a cultural term that is not always meant kindly, but certainly isn't as offensive as a slur . But I was hoping to hear an Episcopalian's view.

When I think of Episcopalianism in pop culture, I think of the TV show Six Feet Under, where the family was Episcopalian and an early major subplot was one character hoping to become a Deacon. The more sardonic siblings on the show many many references to WASPiness.

I personally had never seen an Episcopalian service outside of that show and I was really surprised by it - how familiar it seemed to the catholic mass. I'd been to evangelical services but this seemed to be very different. So I've rambled enough... Just wanted to be clear where I was coming from.