Menu

Does anyone *like* Sonlight?

Esperella

It seems Sonlight doesn't have many fans here. I've bought and sent it back twice, prek4/5 and Core B. I really wanted to do Core C next year for ds, who will be 8. I'm irritated that with all their changes, he will be a grade behind even though I went with their recommendation of having him in the middle of the ages ranges. But I think he'd really enjoy all the books.

My question, is it more than just a book schedule?

I often fear I'm not getting everything in, like I'm missing something if I put my own stuff together. But if I have science, math, la, covered, would I be fine just doing sotw2 and pulling in books I like? I am going to be crazy busy next year and having a box would be so appealing to me, but I'm just not sure.

I like the Sonlight books. The IG, not so much. At least not at the crazy pace the books are scheduled. If I wanted to really take our time and follow the schedule at half the pace, dragging it out for two years or something similar, I might prefer it. Having said that, I own every core except most of the high school ones. And we read the books at our own pace. And I do enjoy them.

I love SL. We've used it for years with much success. In the younger years it really mostly is about the books. But as you progress through the cores the IG notes become more and more integral to the program.

I might be a loner here but, yep, I'm a SL fan :)

By the way, I don't think there is any 'behind' when it comes to the cores. Content is content. If your child is learning new things then it's all good. It's only recently that SL started putting those single grade level numbers on the cores anyway. My advice (not that you asked...;-) ) would be to enjoy where you are at and gradually move forward without worrying about the grade label.

I like Sonlight! The book choices just don't disappoint.

I'm not married to the IG but appreciate having things laid out and a sense of pace for the year. Once that blueprint is there I stick really close to the schedule for history readings but I'm more flexible with the rest.

That said, we also have the SOTW audios and correlate them to our studies. I really like SOTW as well.

If you know you have a busy year and want the support of a box and a schedule I recommend it. If you (for whatever reason) can't click with SL you can absolutely have success with SOTW, with a little bit more effort.

We sent back P4/5 also.  It wasn't for us at all.  I was very thankful for their generous return policy.

The catalog came in a week or so ago and I found myself wanting to order again.  I want it to work for us but it doesn't at all.  I have a friend who uses it and loves it, though.

I am a Sonlighter. Have been for 3 years/3 Cores. The books are the reason I'll stay a few more years. I don't have the time or the lifestyle (read profile) to put something together myself.

We use the IG questions to test comprehension. I don't use their Lang Arts because I didn't understand if. We are using IEW now but looking into Writing & Rhetoric. We'll see. Math has always been separate. I was using their Bible schedule but swapped it out for CAP's "God's Great Covenant" books instead.

I will be doing a a Sonlight Science this year for the first time because I like the schedule. So, it's about 40% due to the schedule for me because I LOVE checking off boxes but 60% for those book selections.

I'm a fan at certain times and in certain conditions :)  This past year I updated my Core A but ended up returning it because it just wasn't a good fit for my 6yods.    But a few weeks ago I purchased Core 300 for my upcoming junior and we are both excited about it.  

I'm a fan. I didn't use the IGs for Pre-K/K, but did for B-F. I did switch to TOG, but that was primarily bc of the age span of my children. TOG had everything organized for me. I still love Sonlight books, and use most of the books with my younger children. I am a bit wistful about leaving Sonlight.

Sometimes the reading pace is a bit hectic. I often choose Read alouds to start in the summer so I didn't feel rushed.

I like their books. Love them actually. I own all the cores up through American high school history, whatever they are calling it now. Except the Joy Hakim books but I just sold those because we are moving.

I don't like their guides.

I also don't like that they have secular guides now. I know that makes a lot of non Christians happy but I don't like it and won't buy anything from them anymore becaue of it.

I'm a fan at certain times and in certain conditions :)  

This is how I feel about it and would add "for certain kids" to this statement.  I've used it off and on for 18 years, and it's been a sort of love-hate relationship for me. I've always felt it needed a lot added to it to make it work for us, especially language arts. So when we do it, we do it in a WTMish way.

I've used six SL Cores.  I prefer the older IGs and purchase them used.  I didn't love the Eastern Hemisphere Core (it was too much for my kids at the time). 

Through the years, I have made some philosophical changes in the way I approach history and literature, which has caused me to drift from the SL choice of books.  I own an older IG for Core 100 and all of the books on the list for next year, but I am changing it so much that it will likely be unrecognizable.  I will not write "SL Core 100" in my siggie next year because it will truly not be the Core 100.  :) 

I am not a fan of their LA, and we do not use it.  I look back on our SL years of history and literature (2nd/kindy through present) with many fond memories and no real regrets.  We are just ready to move on.  I will sell our Cores as my youngest ages out, and I will implement changes in the way I use those Cores with her versus my boys.  It's all good.  :)

I love Sonlight Cores; they add richness to our school day that this practical momma would be unlikely to pick on her own. Lots of people here like Sonlight. There are some pretty loud negative voices, but many of those are actually disgruntled Sonlight users who love the Sonlight so much that they feel problems with Sonlight personally. We don't use the LA and the science we enjoy, but don't love in the same way.

Thanks so much for all the replies. I feel like, I don't know my teaching methods yet. I feel one kid does best with a waldorf type education (but I don't like or believe in waldorf, but he does best with that sort of shell, if that makes sense), while my oldest gets super bored and angry with the pace.

Sometimes I feel I have to have full 4 year plans set up for all children now, and I just can't. I already have OM1 for my 6yr old next year, I'm getting MP J/k for my 4 year old, and I think I needed confidence that sonlight can be great for some kids/families. The books choices always were a bit over their heads but I think this core will be so fun and memorable for him next year. I add a different science, LA, and we do VP bible cards.

What I have always wondered....and perhaps this is a question for another thread....is:

If a mom is comfortable reading the SL booklists at her own pace to her dc, is she missing much from the SL IGs?  Would buying the IG and such from SL add *that much* more to it if she's already comfortable winging the same books on her own? 

I love their book selections. We've been using sonlight in some form for over 10 years. Some of my kids got more out of it than others. I have never been able to stick to their schedule. With the exception of religious books we have kept all the sonlight books that we have purchased. I'm starting core c now with my 8 1/2 year old. Its still fine to be in the middle of their suggested age range. I think they are just trying to make it easier for new homeschoolers to figure out what they need.

What I have always wondered....and perhaps this is a question for another thread....is:

If a mom is comfortable reading the SL booklists at her own pace to her dc, is she missing much from the SL IGs?  Would buying the IG and such from SL add *that much* more to it if she's already comfortable winging the same books on her own? 

I've never used the IG's discussion questions.  Interesting discussion always arises organically, and I am very comfortable with this.  So sure, buy the IG and read the books using their schedule,  more or less.  That is what I did for most of my SL years.  (This year we dropped some historical fiction and added more classics, but for four solid years, we did exactly as you describe.)

I often fear I'm not getting everything in, like I'm missing something if I put my own stuff together. But if I have science, math, la, covered, would I be fine just doing sotw2 and pulling in books I like? I am going to be crazy busy next year and having a box would be so appealing to me, but I'm just not sure.

IMHO, if you're going to be crazy busy and you've got other plans for some of your kids, avoid SL like the plague. You will make yourself nuts trying to fit it all in if you're also doing OM and MP with other kids. Instead, I'd go through the SOTW activity book and choose a couple of books to go with each chapter that your library carries, note them down and get them out when you need them. You can even use SL's suggestions for your nf and fiction enrichment books. SOTW with the AG and a couple of books is very rich and you won't be shortchanging your child. Save yourself the aggravation that will come from always being behind schedule and stick with something more manageable.

IMHO, if you're going to be crazy busy and you've got other plans for some of your kids, avoid SL like the plague. You will make yourself nuts trying to fit it all in if you're also doing OM and MP with other kids. Instead, I'd go through the SOTW activity book and choose a couple of books to go with each chapter that your library carries, note them down and get them out when you need them. You can even use SL's suggestions for your nf and fiction enrichment books. SOTW with the AG and a couple of books is very rich and you won't be shortchanging your child. Save yourself the aggravation that will come from always being behind schedule and stick with something more manageable.

I was wondering about this, as well. I have so many of the books already, like the encyclopedias, Time Travelers, the markable maps and timeline. I guess I'm trying to figure out if its just a schedule. I would love to buy the books I think look interesting, but I am worried if I buy all of them when will I have time to read other things? There are so many awesome books.

If a mom is comfortable reading the SL booklists at her own pace to her dc, is she missing much from the SL IGs? Would buying the IG and such from SL add *that much* more to it if she's already comfortable winging the same books on her own?

Yes, I wonder this, too. I think that might be part of my problem with Sonlight, is I don't fully understand what it is. But then this year when I'm on my own I'm always afraid I'm missing something and I need the box to pull it together.

I was wondering about this, as well. I have so many of the books already, like the encyclopedias, Time Travelers, the markable maps and timeline. I guess I'm trying to figure out if its just a schedule. I would love to buy the books I think look interesting, but I am worried if I buy all of them when will I have time to read other things? There are so many awesome books.

I used the IG as mainly a schedule. There is some commentary directed at parents, but I didn't find it helpful. The study questions for the books weren't my cup of tea either, but you should be able to see samples of them on the SL site and decide for yourself. I think the questions in the SOTW AG are much better than SL's, but YMMV.

A whole lot of people like Sonlight.  I really love the idea of it.  It didn't work for my older kids at all (and we did 3 full cores).  It was actually after the fact that I saw the extent of how much it didn't work for them.  But I still really love the idea.  Especially in the early years, I think you could easily go without the IG.  Sometimes I felt like the questions were a bit ridiculous and there could have been much better questions in there (and so I changed them).

I really like SL. I've used three cores: one completely, the other two for half a year & then switched to something else. I am a BIG reader, so SL is right up my alley. Unfortunately, my dd13 does not enjoy reading (whose kid is she?!?...LOL), so SL overwhelmed her. My ds10 has begun to really get into reading, so I plan to revisit SL with him...maybe even with dd13 & just leave out a few books in each core. I'm also currently drooling over SL P3/4 for my special needs dd6...just trying to decide if she's ready.

We are finishing up our 7th year of homeschooling, and have used SL all but one of those years (when I put together my own year-long state history study, SL-style).   I love SL's approach of using historical fiction to teach history, and the fact that my kids are voracious readers makes SL a great fit for us.

We've used SL Cores many different ways, depending on the year and the Core - following the IG specifically, using it as a book schedule and nothing else, and everything in between.   As long as my kids are learning, I don't feel obligated to do every.single.thing in the IG.   I make it work for US, not the other way around.

Next year will be the first year we'll do 2 Cores simultaneously.    We are finishing up Core E, and in the fall my DS (7th grade) will do Core G mostly independently, while my DD (5th grade) will do half of Core F.

I use the core for history and reading. I discuss as we go along but do use the notes sometimes. I have never used the LA. We are finishing up our 5th core. Will use another next year. It keeps history and reading on schedule. I love it but obviously don't use it all.

The cores are still meant for multiple grades. The new grade level stuff is geared for newer people to get a start. I personally liked the older way of presenting the cores but it's their company. The schedule/notes are great for us. I bought long ago intending to return it all. Can't imagine our homeschool now without SL

I like Sonlight. I have a hard time following the IG though. When we did Core C I ended up dropping the IG and then using SOTW with the activity guide. Almost all the history books from Sonlight are recommended in the SOTW AG so we used them then and just read the read alouds at our own pace. I feel we got more out of using that SOTW activity guide with their questions and Mapwork than using the sunlight IG.

Thanks for all the responses. I think I will buy Core C and SOTW2 and the activity guide, because my son loves it so much right now. History is favorite subject. Does Core C and SOTW2 line up well? In Sonlight, is it hard to find activities?

Half of core C aligns with SOTW 2, but then core C continues through modern times for world events.

I put a schedule on my blog lining the two up

http://onemagnificentobsession.blogspot.com/2012/08/coordinating-sonlight-core-c-with-sotw-2.html

And here is a post on supplementing Core C

http://onemagnificentobsession.blogspot.com/2012/05/supplementing-sonlight-core-c.html

As to your original question, I love the "idea" of SL. In practice I find that using the books in a more WTM fashion works better for us. But we LOVE the books! :)

Truthfully I don't find the IG's all that helpful, and I stopped getting them after Core F (except that I did use the Core 100 guide). The notes in the lower cores had all kinds of things that I didn't think were that important to discuss (I remember when we read the Wolves of Willoughby Chase asking my kids things like, "The wolves don't seem to play a very big role in this book, but they're in the title. Why would that be? Who do you think are the REAL wolves in this story?" And then they got that the wolves were symbolic, all on their own, and they ran with it! We had a great discussion. I always wanted the notes to enrich our reading by helping us with those kinds of things, and instead they asked either simple questions or obscure detials. And it was YEARS after I read Mr. Popper's Penguins that I read Deconstructing Penguins and realized all we had missed--and I wonder how much we've missed from other read-alouds. Some I caught--but I wanted the IG to tell me more. Not to analyze books--but to enrich our enjoyment of them.

It seems Sonlight doesn't have many fans here. I've bought and sent it back twice, prek4/5 and Core B. I really wanted to do Core C next year for ds, who will be 8. I'm irritated that with all their changes, he will be a grade behind even though I went with their recommendation of having him in the middle of the ages ranges. But I think he'd really enjoy all the books.

My question, is it more than just a book schedule?

There is more in it--but that's all of it that I ended up using. I didn't find the rest helpful. We don't use the LA. We find places we read about on our wall map on our own. I don't follow their vocab. suggestions--we discuss words that my kids ask about or that I ask them about as we read aloud. I don't know, the guides just didn't facilitate the kind of discussions I wanted to have. 

Anyway, instead of the daily schedule (which can be a brisk pace), I liked to use their one-page guide that listed the books in order and the week you would start that book. After a couple of years I realized I could easily make up such a one-page guide on my own. I guestimate the week we'll start based on # of pages or chapters and the font size (smaller font takes longer to read), and I list optional books--if we get ahead, we can add in another. If behind, we'll drop a book and never have to completely redo a "schedule." 

I use a box-type schedule but I write in what we did rather than planning ahead that we "must do XYZ on such & such day or we're behind..." Others use either SL's schedule or one like it, but treat it in the same way--suggestions, not a rule-book. The teacher has ultimate say.

As for the grade levels--you have to ignore that. They still say the cores are for a range of grades (and even if they didn't, it would still be true. You can't say there's only one right grade to read Charlotte's Web!) The info just isn't as front and center. Search by subject and you'll see the grades. 

As for missing something with out Sonlight--Sit down and list the things you want to cover. For example:

Language arts: reading, handwriting, spelling--whatever. Decide how much time you'll spend on LA and then set your priorities, map it out, see what fits.

History: You might do your spine--SOTW--and then if you have extra time, or a day or two a week open, do a project, read from other books, etc...

Literature (can be historical fiction to reinforce history, just fun books, whatever):

Science:

and so on. Map it out. Then, decide what to use for each area. When I start a new school year, I always start just one or two subjects at a time. I get our feet wet, see how long it takes us, see how we're going to make it work, then add another subject and so on over 2 weeks (even up to 4 weeks when they were in lower elementary). Then you can see what's enough, too much, not enough, revamp as needed, and you're on your way. So my thought--yes, you'd absolutely be just fine doing SOTW 2 next year. Choose the Core C readers and read-alouds that you want (the ones that fit the time period & your kids' reading level), choose some other books as needed, map out a basic plan and know that your list can easily be changed if need be. You won't be "missing something" if you are working on your plan a bit each day.

If you buy the whole core, why would you want to read other things? If you want to read other things, why would you buy a whole core? 

Or...if you want both a whole core and to read other things, then be flexible about how much time it takes. It's fine if it takes more than a year. I spread a couple of SL cores over 2 years & had fun!

I did usually find that I could read extra read-alouds, because we read on weekends, holidays, over the summer etc... at bedtime, and had time left over. 

Yes, I wonder this, too. I think that might be part of my problem with Sonlight, is I don't fully understand what it is. But then this year when I'm on my own I'm always afraid I'm missing something and I need the box to pull it together.

You don't necessarily need the box, but it's nice sometimes. Have you downloaded the 3 week IG samples? I'd encourage you to do that if not. That might help you get a feel for it. 

Do we love Sonlight--yes! Not every last bit of it, but lots of it. The read-alouds and readers are often award-winning books--lots and lots of great choices. The history--some years we liked more than others. The LA--didn't work for us. The Core IG--no longer necessary here, but some love them. Science--some hits, some misses. Doing Sonlight really helped me see how to put together what DOES work for us though--the model gave me a lot of confidence. It didn't do as much to teach me how to teach as I'd like. But it gave me an idea for a framework--at a different pace from SL--that would work for us. We still use many of their books but no longer buy full cores.  We've used Prek-Core F entirely, most of G and H, core 100, and parts of 200 and 400 so far. If I had it to do over, I'd have gone rogue starting with Core F, rather than G, but it's worked out!

Have fun--you really can do this! Merry :-)

We love sonlight here, but I don't think I use it as it's meant. We've done from p3/4 through current Core C. Just the history and read alouds, no science or other stuff. I use it almost as an enjoyable supplement instead of a stand alone. We do our own grammar, spelling, writing, math, handwriting, latin, geography etc. but we love the books, and I love having a good excuse to still read aloud and enjoy books with my kids. They get excited for our new books and look forward to reading time. However there is no way we can ever keep up anymore. Preschool through 1st, yes. But not anymore. I started Core C last school year, and am still just half way through it. The kids just have so many activities that we are out and about for. I try for audio CDs for the car when I can. After giving some of our earlier books away, we just keep them all now. I am always finding the kids re reading them.

I have no idea of how the people that do read all the books together during a school year fit it in! And some do more than one core!

I try to pick up the books and IG used if I can.

And it was YEARS after I read Mr. Popper's Penguins that I read Deconstructing Penguins and realized all we had missed--

What did I miss?! We read and enjoyed the book, but I'm sensing we should have gotten more meaning out of it now? Please do tell!

Oops. That first part was meant to be quoted from Merrys. Not sure why it isnt formatted like a quote.

I am a fan of my used cores that I got for cheap/free, I even like my older version of 100 that I bought new from them.  BUT I don't like the changes they keep putting in.  I figured other than the timeline book I need to order for youngest that I was done ordering from them BUT my teens asked to start using it again.  So we restarted core 100 today(did not make it through the first week previously) and if it goes well apparently I will be buying more from them.  Since my kids will be doing provincial high school social studies I will likely let them just choose any core if we keep going, they have very little previous history study(outside of Canadian history) so really anything would be new.  the 2 teens were debating getting core F or core G for after 100 since both look like fun.

Half of core C aligns with SOTW 2, but then core C continues through modern times for world events.

I put a schedule on my blog lining the two up

http://onemagnificentobsession.blogspot.com/2012/08/coordinating-sonlight-core-c-with-sotw-2.html

And here is a post on supplementing Core C

http://onemagnificentobsession.blogspot.com/2012/05/supplementing-sonlight-core-c.html

As to your original question, I love the "idea" of SL. In practice I find that using the books in a more WTM fashion works better for us. But we LOVE the books! :)

This is amazing! Thank you!

Merry, thank you so much for your response. You gave me a lot to think about.

I was happy to see last night that the books I already have are not included in the core so I can buy Core C without having to rebuy them.

Thanks everyone, I feel a lot better about doing this. I think I will continue with my plans to deconstruct it a bit and slow it down, added with SOTW2.

I used Sonlight Cores for 5 years at the elementary level (grade 4-8) with two families that I homeschooled overseas, and I loved the curriculum and the IG's.  I thought their American History curriculum was absolutely wonderful, and will use it with our own.  I also think that the other cores we used were good, but they definitely got heavy in terms of reading quantity and we had to stretch some of them out over a year and a half at times.

However, we have not been able to afford the full curriculum since we had our own.  I have been working off of the book lists from the catalog, using our local library, and am kind of glad I don't have the full curriculum for the younger ages.  I think our oldest son was young for his age and some books have not been a hit with him, but now at 6 1/2 he is really getting into chapter book read-alouds.  

I've used six SL Cores.  I prefer the older IGs and purchase them used.  I didn't love the Eastern Hemisphere Core (it was too much for my kids at the time). 

Through the years, I have made some philosophical changes in the way I approach history and literature, which has caused me to drift from the SL choice of books.  I own an older IG for Core 100 and all of the books on the list for next year, but I am changing it so much that it will likely be unrecognizable.  I will not write "SL Core 100" in my siggie next year because it will truly not be the Core 100.  :)

I am not a fan of their LA, and we do not use it.  I look back on our SL years of history and literature (2nd/kindy through present) with many fond memories and no real regrets.  We are just ready to move on.  I will sell our Cores as my youngest ages out, and I will implement changes in the way I use those Cores with her versus my boys.  It's all good.  :)

Ready to sell an old core c yet? :)  I prefer the old version too.

Ready to sell an old core c yet? :)  I prefer the old version too.

I have B+C, which was the Core we used our first year homeschooling.  If you have Core B already, then this will likely not help you.  Wish I could help, though, because I am done with it.  :)

I like their books. Love them actually. I own all the cores up through American high school history, whatever they are calling it now. Except the Joy Hakim books but I just sold those because we are moving.

I don't like their guides.

I also don't like that they have secular guides now. I know that makes a lot of non Christians happy but I don't like it and won't buy anything from them anymore becaue of it.

I didn't realize they have secular guides?  As in, in place of their current guides?  I'm considering trying Sonlight H or W, for the first time, with my will be 7th grade son.  I do not want a secular basis, although I don't want only a Christian perspective either.  I just want history - what happened :) seems so hard to find.  Anyway, where can I read about the secular guides?  I'm concerned about that now too.

Thanks

Kriss

I didn't realize they have secular guides?  As in, in place of their current guides?  I'm considering trying Sonlight H or W, for the first time, with my will be 7th grade son.  I do not want a secular basis, although I don't want only a Christian perspective either.  I just want history - what happened :) seems so hard to find.  Anyway, where can I read about the secular guides?  I'm concerned about that now too.

Thanks

Kriss

sonlight also owns bookshark which is the company that sells the secular guides.  Sonlight still sells the Christian guides, they themselves do not sell the secular guides but it upset many long time users because they always said they would never sell them.  after all they were designed with missionaries in mind.  as for just history, if getting the high school levels that is possible but not the younger ones.  the high school ones have separate IGs for lit and history, the younger grades have it all in 1 IG

And it was YEARS after I read Mr. Popper's Penguins that I read Deconstructing Penguins and realized all we had missed--

What did I miss?! We read and enjoyed the book, but I'm sensing we should have gotten more meaning out of it now? Please do tell!

Oops. That first part was meant to be quoted from Merrys. Not sure why it isnt formatted like a quote.

Check out Deconstructing Penguins. It's a fairly short read, and really interesting (and it talks about other books as well--I just was surprised at some of the details I missed when I read it originally!)

sonlight also owns bookshark which is the company that sells the secular guides.  Sonlight still sells the Christian guides, they themselves do not sell the secular guides but it upset many long time users because they always said they would never sell them.  after all they were designed with missionaries in mind.  as for just history, if getting the high school levels that is possible but not the younger ones.  the high school ones have separate IGs for lit and history, the younger grades have it all in 1 IG

just a small clarification--the company, Sonlight, actually doesn't own Bookshark. Sonlight's parent company (Inquisicorp) owns Sonlight and Bookshark, plus Avyxx...and I forget if there are any others in there! 

Thanks

Kriss

BookShark.

You are probably talking about Sonlight, but just so nobody gets confused...BookShark has them separate.

We love and use Sonlight.  I have used it for a number of years with my oldest ds, now we are using it with the youngers.  I know many people don't use it as written, but that is the beauty of SL.  You can take what you need and ignore the rest.  I do different things with different children, because not all children are the same.  if you try to follow the IG word-for-word and do everything it is overwhelming.  If you want a workbook based program, it is not for you.

Like a pp said, I think Sonlight gets a bad rap on these forums.  It is a wonderful program and like another pp said, the IG's become much more integral as you progress through the cores.  Their Love-to-Learn Guarantee is one of the best you'll find with any curriculum.  When I started several years ago, I followed the IG exactly.  Now I pick and choose, expand where I need to and move on as I see fit.  It is the most literature-rich programs out there and I love that the books are previewed and ready to go.  The "book basket" idea does not work here, neither does running to the library.