Menu

Best vacuum for a large area of hard floors?

LynnG in Arizona

We are getting ready to move into a house with all hard floors - a mix of travertine and wood laminate.  I've never had either before.

I am looking for recommendations for a great vacuum.  Wish list would be:

~Super powerful - picks up everything in its path

~Reasonably lightweight (I have back issues)

~Easy to maneuver

~Long cord or cordless would be a bonus

I am looking for quality here and am willing to do something a bit more expensive if it is worth it.

Thanks very much!!

Honestly, I find sweeping much easier and more effective than vacuuming with hard floors. Get a long handled dust pan so you don't have to bend down, and a nice wide angle broom, and you're good to go.

Thank you . . . but to tell the truth, I despise sweeping for some reason.  I'm sure I'm not doing it ergonomically, because it always seems to hurt my back.  I would much prefer a good vacuum.

Honesty I've spent so much trying to find that perfect thing. The best thing I've found has been using a ShopVac with the vacuum head. It gets the dust and dirt out from between the grout in the tiles and the cracks between the wood slates much better than sweeping and it gets under the counters in the kitchen. I attach a super long extension cord so I can get around my entire bottom floor. If I need to take it upstairs, it's really light.

I'll never waste hundreds on outrageously expensive vacuums again :)

Hoover Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum. I can "sweep" one handed with a baby on my hip. It also gets surface dirt off of most throw rugs. I've had mine for 4 years and it still works great!

Thanks for the reply Gwen!  This one looks similar to my current Electolux Ergo, which I've been moderately happy with, except that the battery and suction power both show a noticeable decrease after about a year.

We have a Miele.  We've had it for 10 years now and it's been a great machine.  We went to the vacuum store and they didn't try to sell us more than what we needed.  They asked about pets, people hair, hardwood vs. carpet, etc, etc,e tc.   We have area rugs in two rooms.  Other than that, we're all hardwood.  We're very happy with it!

There is another dyson thread going on... I have arthritis and it is heavy but manageable to carry up flights of stairs. The extension hose goes up an entire flight of stairs. There is also a ceiling fan attachment.

We vacuum regularly (asthma!) and wet mop with a bona as needed....on sticky spots or monthly, to maintain shine on the wood. The vacuum glides easily on the floors and is easy enough for my 5 yo to use.

I have had my dyson for 7 years now. I dump the dirt cup as needed and wash the hepa filters quarterly. I vacuum all kinds of messes regularly....

There is another dyson thread going on... I have arthritis and it is heavy but manageable to carry up flights of stairs. The extension hose goes up an entire flight of stairs. There is also a ceiling fan attachment.

We vacuum regularly (asthma!) and wet mop with a bona as needed....on sticky spots or monthly, to maintain shine on the wood. The vacuum glides easily on the floors and is easy enough for my 5 yo to use.

I have had my dyson for 7 years now. I dump the dirt cup as needed and wash the hepa filters quarterly. I vacuum all kinds of messes regularly....

Will look for the Dyson thread.  I did a search on vacuums and couldn't find a whole lot.  Thanks!

I just got a large dustmop for our hardwood floors.  I love it!

I have a dustmop which I use when I don't want to drag out the vac. :-) However, I really need to vacuum up all the little bird feathers that accumulate on the floor from my two parakeets. Dustmopping (or sweeping) just fluffs up the feathers, lol.

Honesty I've spent so much trying to find that perfect thing. The best thing I've found has been using a ShopVac with the vacuum head. It gets the dust and dirt out from between the grout in the tiles and the cracks between the wood slates much better than sweeping and it gets under the counters in the kitchen. I attach a super long extension cord so I can get around my entire bottom floor. If I need to take it upstairs, it's really light.
I'll never waste hundreds on outrageously expensive vacuums again :)

I use a Shop Vac too. They have powerful suction, lots of attachments. Just clear small toys out of the way first, because they can suck up small pieces with no trouble, lol.

I have a Miele Polaris.  It's a very lightweight canister vacuum made specifically for hard floors.  It is so lightweight, you could easily carry the vacuum in one hand while vacuuming with the other.  Stairs are easy with it.  The head swivels nicely.  It picks up everything easily.  The tools make vacuuming small areas and upholstery easy.  You can't get easier bags to install or remove, and it doesn't spill anything when you remove it.  The hepa filter works very well, and there is no vacuum smell at all.  The only thing it needs is a longer cord, but one cool feature is a self-winding cord.  You unplug it, step on a button, and it winds up to it's storage area inside the vac.  I've had mine for a little over three years and have never had a problem with it.

It's not available anymore, but this model appears to be the current version of it.  

Ditto on the Miele love. I have a Dyson as well, and there's no contest. The Dyson has had multiple parts break, and it doesn't do nearly as good of a job, even when all of the darn filters are clean. Plus the Dyson fills up with fine dust all over in the canister and up inside, and I can't ever get it all out by whacking it. I suppose I could get a spray bottle and cloths out to clean it, but I don't want to spend that much time cleaning a vacuum. My Miele has lovely thick bags that catch all the dust and contain it, and emptying them is so much easier and less dusty than emptying the Dyson. The Miele is also much quieter. Before I got the Miele, I bought a new Dyson, and it was even louder than my old one, to the point that I worried about it damaging my hearing. Customer service was no help, and when I googled it, I found that the newer Dyson models are indeed much louder than the old ones.

I loved my Dyson when I got it, but now that I have my Miele, I know that I just didn't know any better. :laugh:

I have a Miele Polaris.  It's a very lightweight canister vacuum made specifically for hard floors.  It is so lightweight, you could easily carry the vacuum in one hand while vacuuming with the other.  Stairs are easy with it.  The head swivels nicely.  It picks up everything easily.  The tools make vacuuming small areas and upholstery easy.  You can't get easier bags to install or remove, and it doesn't spill anything when you remove it.  The hepa filter works very well, and there is no vacuum smell at all.  The only thing it needs is a longer cord, but one cool feature is a self-winding cord.  You unplug it, step on a button, and it winds up to it's storage area inside the vac.  I've had mine for a little over three years and have never had a problem with it.

It's not available anymore, but this model appears to be the current version of it.  

I have a cheap canister from walmart, but the miele is what we used at the animal hospital I worked at. Worked great. 

A sincere thank you to those who have recently posted.  Quite honestly, I really dislike canister vacuums and always have.  :(   Sorry to sound so picky, but my parents had one when I was growing up, and then we were given a really nice canister when we got married.  I just always manage to trip over them and find them unwieldy to maneuver.  No offense to those who love them . . . just my personal preference.