Menu

I'm Starting a STEM Club and Need Ideas for Group Activities - Update in Post 28

I'm starting a STEM club and I'm looking for fun, hands on science activities that are good for groups of kids ages 6-12. For our first meeting, I'm going to group the kids into teams and have them build gumdrop bridges and see which can hold the most weight. Does anyone have a website or book they recommend for more ideas?

I'm think of doing owl pellet dissections later. I want to start with cheaper activities while I get the hang of things.

• Like 1

Somebody on the forums mentioned the Time to Invent resources another time. Lots of fun building challenge ideas that use either stuff you'd recycle anyway or items from the Dollar Store. I used several of the activities this year with 5th graders and older for an inventing unit, but we successfully adapted some of the stuff for younger students when we had a "showcase day" for all ages.

Erica in OR

• Like 3

Last fall, my son went to a free trial of Challenge Island with a local homeschooling group. The kids were put on teams and each team had to build a marble roller coaster out of insulation tubes cut in half, duct table, and the furniture in the room. After the class was over, he told me, "That was the most fun I ever had." The kids were so excited to work together it. Challenge Island charges $15 per one hour class and I was hoping to offer something equally fun for close to free.

I was a team coach for Odyssey of the Mind for several years. Along with the long term problem the kids would work on we also did spontaneous problems (here is a pile of stuff make an 'x')

Google Odyssey of the Mind, Spontaneous, hands on problems. There is a ton of free information out there. 

Good luck, sounds like an awesome club.

• Like 1

Had another quick idea.

Look into the 4H project books for Electricity/Magnetism; Robotics; and Small Engines. The books are very cheap.  The quality of the experiments, projects, curriculum in the 4H books vary greatly depending on the author and series. Some are great some are twaddle, try a few they are usually on $4 or less. 

I used the electricity projects in a co-op with several younger boys, they made circuits, lit up light bulbs, made switches and electric magnets. It was fun but not deep. 

• Like 1

I bet the kids will love it.

I saw a math teaching resource the other day that I looked really good.

http://www.moebiusnoodles.com/naturalmathmultiplication/

"We invite parents, teachers, playgroup hosts, and math circle leaders to join us in April for an open, crowd-funded online course about multiplication. Each week there will be five activities to help your kids learn multiplication by exploring patterns and structure. To get your course completion badge, do at least two activities every week. The course starts April 6 and runs for four weeks. Dr. Maria Droujkova and Yelena McManaman are designing and leading the activities.

Each activity will have adaptations for toddlers (2-4), young kids (4-6), and older kids (7-12). If you want to remix activities for babies or teens, we will help!"

• Like 1

Curt Gabrielson has some great books w/ ideas... he runs a maker workshop for kids and has a number of books... I've read the "Tinkering" book and the "Stomp Rockets, Catapults...." book and thought both were good. We've done some of the projects with DS7.

Currently we are in a big siege engine phase. So far DS has independently built  a catapult out of craft sticks and rubber bands, a weighted tinker toy trebuchet, a k-nex trebuchet using nuts as weights, a catapult out of various junk etc.... DS7 has read "The Art of the Catapult" by William Gurstelle and gotten ideas but I've  pushed off building any more elaborate models until we can fire these things outside. Gurstelle's books are also great but probably more elaborate than what you are looking for right now.

• Like 1

A while ago(~2yrs?), I remember seeing a post about a weekly challenge site. It had projects like building the tallest tower from six paper towel tubes and 4 feet of twine. Afterwards kids could post pictures and talk about it... This was back before diy.org was a thing.

Does anyone remember what this site was, I haven't been able to find it again and it would be perfect for us now.

A while ago(~2yrs?), I remember seeing a post about a weekly challenge site. It had projects like building the tallest tower from six paper towel tubes and 4 feet of twine. Afterwards kids could post pictures and talk about it... This was back before diy.org was a thing.

Does anyone remember what this site was, I haven't been able to find it again and it would be perfect for us now.

Kidswhothink? She has changed the template...it used to look a little different.

• Like 1

Another site with ideas that are especially nice for younger kids is Design Squad. 

http://pbskids.org/designsquad/

Also if you can find books by Bernie Zubrowski, they have some fun science museum type activities. 

Strongly recommending the Arvind Gupta Toys from Trash site.

Wow, I've been to this site but never found this section -- there are enough ideas on there to keep someone busy for years!

• Like 2

Check out these sites, look for "Educator" or "kids" sections: 

IEEE (look at pre-university information)

tryengineering.org - by the IEEE

NASA (great lesson plans, all ages)
American Chemical Society (ACS - they have a mag w/activities for each age range)

National Science Teachers Association (NSTA - look for "free resources")

• 2 weeks later...

We had our first class today. There were nine kids, ages 6-12, with most of them being six. To see how shapes affect the strength of something, we started by making bridges out of one sheet of paper draped across blocks. Flat held the least, arched was a bit stronger, having the two long sides folded up was much better, and the best was folding the paper like a paper fan. I showed them how the pleated bridged looked like the ends of corrugated cardboard. (All this info was from a kids' library book about building bridges and towers.)

Then I turned them loose with spice drops and toothpicks. I provided pages with suggested bridge patterns, although the kids weren't too interested in them. I think that was because most of them were too young to understand how to read the diagram.

Everyone had fun, although the six year-olds didn't really understand what to do and needed prodding from their moms. I think next time I may raise the minimum age to seven. The other choice would be to say six year olds can come if they can build Legos or other projects by themselves following a simple diagram.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Check out the you tube channel of "king of random". My kids and I spent a couple hours yesterday making the matchbox rockets. He has a ton of fun stuff on there!!!

I'm glad to see King of Random recommended here.  We did his homemade speaker project and it was so much fun (and it dove tailed well with our science unit).  

I did. I felt like I'd better at least have an idea of where we were headed and the route we wanted to use to get there.

It was lik looking at a map of the US and deciding that we were going from Seattle to New England, and that the trip might include Southern California and the Rocky Mountains and probably some part of the Mississippi River but that we wouldn't get the Deep South.

Then each year I'd do more planning, looking at the coming three years, bearing in mind the big picture.

Then I'd make the specific route plans--hotel reservations (that level of metaphoric detail).

Having the big picture in place was an enormous help when our plans got thrown out of whack due to illness or cussedness or better information. We got to New England, only got Northern California, but had a surprise trip to Italy instead. And then when our train crashed just as we got yo Delaware, we were still close enough to walk the rest of the way.

All of that is a metaphor. I hope you know that.

Without the long term plan, I'd have gotten confused somewhere around Winnemucca and given up.

Check out the you tube channel of "king of random". My kids and I spent a couple hours yesterday making the matchbox rockets. He has a ton of fun stuff on there!!!

Thanks for this. We are making his squishy ninja balls today after deciding we were likely to accidentally blow something up or burn something down if we tried the other projects!