Menu

18 yr old sues parents after moving out

mrbmom77

My thought: her parents do need to pay her HIGH SCHOOL tution. They already made that financial committment to her and to the school. Withholding that as a condition for her to move back home isn't in anyone's best interest or their credit score.

The rest? Grow up and ask your parents' forgiveness because, Honey, you are aiming for a lifetime of hurt.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the girl, she was kicked out and had been abused. According to the school, the church, and several parents, she was being abused. According to the school, she is a model student, and an honor student. The parents, on the other hand, have been separated and back together, on again and off again. They have been trying to cash out her college fund. She only asked that they pay the support that any non-custodial parent would have to legally pay in that state. She is also only asking for part of her college fund. The parents already had a lot of bills and legal bills from their own personal and legal problems they brought on themselves.

I do not believe that just because someone is a teen, that they could not be abused and must be a liar. Adults are capable of abuse. And in light of the fact that the school, the church, and the other parents are backing up her story that she was abused, and no one is backing up the parents that they are not abusers, I am going to say she likely was abused and they should pay up. THEY (the parents) enrolled her in that private school of their own free will. THEY entered in to a contract to pay that tuition. THEY were witnessed being abusive and threatening the girl and telling her she was being kicked out. I believe the girl. Just because she is a teen and they are adults does not believe she is a liar. And all abusers blame their victim. ALL abusers claim they never abused their victims. I believe the girl, the church, the ministers, the teachers, and the parents of fellow students who all say she was being abused.

Also, the parents stand to profit here. They have their own list of legal issues outside of this, and an on-again-off-again marriage to support...and they are trying to cash out her college fund. I cannot figure out from the many articles who set up this college fund. The articles never seem to mention it, but based on the finances of the family being mentioned and how desperate the family has been to cash out her college fund and use for themselves (not even put it on hold until the girl "behaves" or pass down to the younger girls), something here just is not right. They seem very greedy and desperate to cash that fund out. 

huh?

My thought: her parents do need to pay her HIGH SCHOOL tution. They already made that financial committment to her and to the school. Withholding that as a condition for her to move back home isn't in anyone's best interest or their credit score.

The rest? Grow up and ask your parents' forgiveness because, Honey, you are aiming for a lifetime of hurt.

I think I read somewhere that the school had granted her a scholorship for the last semester of school.

But yes, I do think her parents should pay for that last semester of high school.  I have not heard that they refused to do so.  They may have been unable to do so and that is why she got the scholorship.  But child support and college tuition?  Um, no.  Not just because she thinks she deserves it. I do realize that legally it could be hers depending on how the fund was set up originally.

Either way she is back home now and I hope they can heal as a family.

I really haven't done anything. She is an incredible woman who deserved a small break in life. THis "kid" took care of her mother for years. She even was the one responsible for paying the bills (including providing the money) for her family. She didn't leave the situation until it became dangerous for her to stay. Drugs do that. I simply had some empty space that she could be safe in. All I did was make an extra key. Actually, dh did that. She really isn't even an additional expense. If anything she is a great benefit to have around, she is helping to keep my dd (her new housemate) sane and providing her with tutoring at times.

So it's win-win. I still think you're a hero, Lolly. You've provided that young woman an opportunity for a bright future.

Just posting an update in case anyone cares....

Rachel Canning has officially dropped her lawsuit against her parents.

and who is going to pay her parents legal bills?  those don't just "go away".

future employers will search her name (as many do) before hiring - and this is what they'll find.  good luck getting a decent job.

Unfortunately I agree that she will probably have to change her name to get a decent job later. It is so sad that someone so young could make mistakes that get so much publicity they will haunt you for life. Most people are selfish/ thoughtless for the future at that age, she had encouragement to take it to a new level.

I really don't think that she is going to need to change her name to get into college or to get a job.

You're probably right that there will be someone out there who will hire or admit her (or more likely, some poor fool will marry her and condemn himself to a life of misery), but I wouldn't touch her with a ten foot pole.  Her words and actions just say sociopath to me.

I really don't think that she is going to need to change her name to get into college or to get a job.

She will likely get to go to go to college somewhere.

She will likely get a job somewhere.

There will never be a way to know what colleges decided to reject her based on the lawsuit. There will never be a way to know if a possible employer sweeps her resume into the trash. The fact is there are employers and colleges who do do internet searches on applicants. She will never know what opportunities she might miss in the future. 

I tell my dc that all doors are open. Mostly their decisions and actions close doors. Grades, course selection, how you treat people, the effort you put in at work, your presence on the internet, your reputation, out of all that the negatives can easily overshadow positives. 

am I being difficult when I say I'm wondering how her defenders are handling her moving back in with her parents and dropping her lawsuit?

Well, I don't know about her defenders here on the WTM forum, but when she first moved back in with her parents, the attorneys hired by her friend's father tried -- apparently without her authorization -- to petition for a court-appointed guardian for her, basically because they felt she was being influenced by her parents. :rolleyes:

I read that the parents have now sued the father of the girl she was living with, for providing alcohol to her among other things.

Well, isn't that the perfect way to get their name out of the news? ;)

Am I the only one who's waiting to hear that TLC is giving the whole bunch of them a new reality show? :D

Well, isn't that the perfect way to get their name out of the news? ;)

Am I the only one who's waiting to hear that TLC is giving the whole bunch of them a new reality show? :D

I don't think I will watch that show, lol!

I might have remembered the story incorrectly.  The information about the other dad providing alcohol might have been in documents related to the daughter's lawsuit rather than a new lawsuit.