Menu

Heart issues, hormone imbalances... at 29?

AimeeM

My cardio believes the heart issues may be related to some hormone imbalances; between the tubal litigation, a missed monthly friend this month, the endo dx, breastfeeding, high WBC count, and the "new-ish" racing/skipping heart.

Everything I google relates it to menopause. What are the odds that I'm in perimenopause at 29? I do NOT have a family history of early menopause.

Because of my younger sister's heart problems (heart failure at age 18), the cardio does have me on a heart monitor for two weeks, and coming in on the 14th for an echo and a stress echo. She is leaning more towards it being hormonal, though, and plans to touch base with my OB to see what can be done, if all the other tests show nothing too concerning.

It's just mind boggling to me that this could be hormone related. Has anyone been through this? I know my cardio said it isn't necessarily early menopause, but when I google "hormone imbalance, heart issues", menopause is essentially the only thing that comes up.

She did an EK? Hooked me up to wires. She said she wants me on the heart monitor for a couple weeks.

I'm so tired all the time. I was hoping they would pop out as many tests today as they could. Ah well - my babysitter appreciates the ongoing business, lol.

EKG.  I assume it was normal?

Two weeks sounds like a long time to wear a holter monitor (my ds wears it for 24 hours, an annual test for him).  What a pain, but at least it's a step toward getting to the bottom things.

I think she did two weeks because I told her it was random (usually in the afternoon, but often in the evenings too). It isn't consistent and it usually hits when I'm at rest (sitting) and otherwise relaxed.

Two weeks sounds like a long time to wear a holter monitor (my ds wears it for 24 hours, an annual test for him).  What a pain, but at least it's a step toward getting to the bottom things.

They have this new thing.  It is a patch that you can shower with and everything.  I'm guessing that's what the OP had.

Also, hormones can do all kinds of strange things to heart rhythm. 

That doesn't seem much like perimenopause.

I'm no expert, but I've found that when a physician (other than an endocrinologist or gynecologist) says a problem may be hormone related, it can sometimes mean they don't really know the cause. Because hormones is not specific and their interactions are complicated, it sounds better to suggest hormones could be to blame, than admitting you just don't know.

Anyway, it's good you're getting the heart issue figured out, but I wouldn't worry that you're entering menopause just yet!

Hi AimeeM,

I have had heart rate irregularities for the past 15 years.(started in my mid twenties) I have mentioned it to the doctor in recent years, and, like you, have undergone a battery of tests; ECG, holter, loop recorder, echo, stress test and a cardiac MRI. Treatment options were discussed and agreed upon. The term "hormone" can mean so many components circulating in your body, I don't believe it to equate menopause. I am prone to arrythmias in the week before my period, when under stress and when I am sick. Caffeine and over the counter cold medicines are a big no-no for me. I know that about myself now and it doesn't worry me as much. Hope you find answers soon.

I stopped having a menstrual cycle at 38 (I'm 50 now) and have still not reached post-menopause. My hormone levels bounce all over the place. Sometimes they are post-menopausal levels and other times they are definitely not. I have menopausal symptoms that come and go, including heart issues (racing, skipping beats, etc.). My cardio did suggest HRT would be helpful.

I am glad that you are getting further testing and hope that it gets you some answers. I did wear a Holter monitor for over a month at one point. I would also bring your OB/Gyn or GP on board to get a proper diagnosis.

Hormones can absolutely affect your heart.  Many women have harmless heart palpitations as a symptom of PMS.  They are usually PACs (premature atrial contractions).  They feel like your heart is giving a really hard beat (like a thump), like it's flopping in your chest like a fish out of water, and they can sometimes be felt in your throat and cause you to cough.  They're almost always harmless.  And your heart isn't skipping a beat...it's beating too early, so the next beat feels delayed and harder.

The Holter monitor will be able to identify the type of palpitation you're having, and your cardiologist can treat you from that point.  If they're harmless PACs...it's best just to live with them, because they'll usually treat it with beta blockers, and those can have undesirable side effects.  They'll slow down and stop eventually when your hormones level out.

Hormones can absolutely affect your heart.  Many women have harmless heart palpitations as a symptom of PMS.  They are usually PACs (premature atrial contractions).  They feel like your heart is giving a really hard beat (like a thump), like it's flopping in your chest like a fish out of water, and they can sometimes be felt in your throat and cause you to cough.  They're almost always harmless.  And your heart isn't skipping a beat...it's beating too early, so the next beat feels delayed and harder.

The Holter monitor will be able to identify the type of palpitation you're having, and your cardiologist can treat you from that point.  If they're harmless PACs...it's best just to live with them, because they'll usually treat it with beta blockers, and those can have undesirable side effects.  They'll slow down and stop eventually when your hormones level out.

Thanks so much for this info. It answers a lot of questions for me.

Did she specifically state sex hormones? The endocrine system is complex and includes a wide variety of hormones including T3, T4, TSH, cortisol, melatonin, D3, insulin, and many others...All of these hormones, including sex hormones, can influence the cardiovascular system.

Because of this, I would definitely see an endocrinologist.

Did the cardiologist refer you to an endocrinologist? I would think s/he would if the assumption is it may be hormone related.

She is holding off on anything else until I wear the monitor and have the echo. I appreciate that from her - it's hard to get away several times a week. Ruling out "her" stuff, before referring out, seems to be the route she's taking. She isn't really assuming that it's hormone related, she thinks it may be, but we have heart disease/heart failure pretty heavily in my family, so she wants to be cautious in her assumptions.

I started having PVCs in my mid 30s.  I also had them in my teens.  My general practitioner couldn't find anything causing them so he sent me to a cardio.  All the tests were fine, except I was having a few PVCs occasionally.  The cardio thought it was a combination of exhaustion, nursing a baby, and chasing a toddler.  Among other things, he suggested I cut all caffeine, eat more regular diet and more protein less sugar. The cardio also thought my PVC problem was at least partially due to hormones.  I'd been pregnant or nursing for the past few years.  Since I was breastfeeding and it was decided my PVCs were not dangerous, we did nothing more.

Now that I'm 51 and have hypertension (another story that started in Jan of this year), I'm on beta blockers.  My PVCs had gotten much more frequent as well.  The cardio nurse practioner said the echo and EKG showed "bunches and bunches"  of PVCs. So, the cardio decided a beta blocker was the best way to go.  It lowered my BP and stopped the PVCs. 

In my case, during my 40s, I could trace the PVCs to progesterone.  When the progesterone levels dropped, I noticed more PVCs. When I went on hrt, the PVCs became less noticable.  I stopped estrogen in Aug and progesterone in Nov.  I did notice more PVCs after stopping the progesterone. 

All sorts of things can cause PVCs.  The cardio also looked at my thyroid levels because those hormones can be problematic if they get out of balance (hows that for understatement :huh: )  An IRL friend told me recenlty, she has more PVCs if her blood sugar is off.  Anxiety can play a part as well. 

If you and your doc think it is estrogen/progesterone related, then try to track down what is going on.  The first time I had a workup done for PVCs, it was thought that jnursing a 3 month old was causing some hormone fluctuations.  Fast forward almost 20 years and they think being on the other end of the hormone spectrum is having some impact. 

Pesty hormones....

I've also started having palpitations (racing heartbeat) over the last 6 months or so (I'm 41). Mine are mostly during PMS week and happen randomly. Saw the cardiologist who did EKG (which looked perfect, no PVC's or any abnormal rhythms) and did a stress test (which also looked good). I also deal with pretty severe anxiety during PMS, so I think it may actually be a flare up of the anxiety that triggers the racing heart. Dr. said I didn't need to worry about them, but if it's causing me more anxiety, he would give me a very, very low dose of beta blocker to try. My blood pressure is normally pretty low, so he only gave me 6 mg atenolol/day. I've been taking it for a little over a month, and the dose is so low that I haven't noticed any side effects--except it has stopped the palpitations and significantly reduced my anxiety. I was very hesitant to try the beta blocker, but now I only regret not trying it sooner.

Really - have you had your iron checked? I was having daily terrible heart pounding/palpitations. Always worse in the afternoon and evening. My iron was super low. I've started a more intensive supplement and it is significantly better after 3 weeks.

Yes. I have a history of low iron so it was one of the first things my GP checked.

I never heard of "hormone imbalances" being a cause for heart issues.  I'm just glad you'll be getting the echo!  I'm surprised they didn't do it at the first appointment.

Around perimenopause, it's VERY common. I and many of my friends the same age all got cardio work ups as we hit our early 40s. (Lots of us suddenly had irregular heartbeats, palpitations, etc.)  The changes do mess with your heart rhythm, so it makes sense that other causes for hormonal fluctuations could also impact the heart.

Did she specifically state sex hormones? The endocrine system is complex and includes a wide variety of hormones including T3, T4, TSH, cortisol, melatonin, D3, insulin, and many others...All of these hormones, including sex hormones, can influence the cardiovascular system.

This. There is no reason to wait until after the cardiac tests. They can be done right now and have results back within a day for most of them. I had similar issues and wore the halter monitor and even had a biopsy. It was nodes on my thyroid. I was 19.

IMHO, these things are often caused by a combination of factors and it's good that it's being looked into just in case.

I had the worst time with this in my thirties. My hormones were going up and down with multiple pregnancies and bfing. I had very active kids and none were good sleepers, so I didn't get much sleep at all for ten years. It's still scary when I think about how hard that was. My nutritional levels were not optimal and was later found to have a B12 deficiency. Then there were the stressful life things that always happen. I would probably have been fine with one of those things but not all at once.

Now I'm older and closer to menopause and I'm not having palpitations at all. My hormones may be dropping but they are probably more level than they were in my thirties. I'm getting more sleep. When there's stress, I have the chance to take a break because my kids are getting older. 

In any case, what was personally the most helpful to me was adding more salt to my diet at the suggestion of a nurse and getting a decent amount of sleep. 

And, oh yes, magnesium made a huge difference!!! I can't forget about that one!