Menu

Biggest Loser winner controversy

LNC

How long did it take her? I don't watch the show and don't know how much time elapses from when they start the process to when the final show airs.

I think she looks great. I understand the concerns about losing too much weight too quickly and not in a healthy way, and I don't know if that's the case here or not. I do think it's sad that she worked so hard and is clearly happy with the results, and instead of encouraging and supporting her, people are criticizing and condemning her. 

I think it is a about 6 months.  My grandmother was taller than she is and weighed about the same as she does.  She didn't starve herself, she was just very active, she worked a physically demanding manual labor job for several years before she passed away and was well into her 70's.  Of course she also smoked like a chimney.

I think she probably felt the money was worth the extra weight loss or something. I think that it is way too soon to see if he has developed an eating disorder. With money on the table, she has an incentive to do stuff she might not keep doing post show.

She definitely had some looser skin than she would if she'd always been 105 pounds. Also she was 260 and only 24 years old and had gained all that in the last 5 years so she is not going to see the same level of loose skin as if she were older or much heavier or been carrying that weight a lot longer.

Her BMI is about 17.5 now, which is underweight. I imagine though that she will probably put on 10-15 pounds now. I hope so, the very thin face ages her considerably. Consider than Jillian Michaels is 10 pounds more than her but 3 inches shorter. I don't think she looked very healthy. The color in her face and the sallow look was noticeable.

Now that I have outed myself as skimming through the Biggest Loser on Hulu while I fold clothes and stuff, you are all welcome to laugh at me. The show is controversial for a reason and I do think they overdo things, especially the stories from past participants about dehydration.

I kind of wonder if some of the reason her face looks older is slightly loose skin on her cheeks. With the stats given she is probably just underweight but we can all just hope that she did it to make sure she won and can now work on being healthy. Since we can't know her true stats/condition, I don't want to judge her or her motives. I don't watch the show, but I've heard complaints before about them not always looking out for the welfare of the participants and that is what I think is wrong.

I wonder if they don't get them surgery to take care of the extra skin.  I'm well aware of the surgery people go through post-bariatric surgery, and spanx can only hide so much.  The men were wearing very form-fitting suits, and they would have had a pannus, at minimum, to deal with.  The woman who won would have had extensive skin in her upper arms, belly, and thighs.  They must have surgery provided by the show for the top finishers.  There's no other way.  Skin doesn't bounce back that easily after being so large--even if the contestants are young.

As to the winner, she looked very thin for her body type…it's not just weight/BMI…but as the Biggest Loser pays based on total percentage of weight loss, they are encouraging this behavior.  If they gave people a minimum BMI or what not, what would they do if all of the finishers achieved it? Perhaps each would get $100k?

She went too far.  Bob's and Jillian's face showed how shocked they were.  She more than likely has on spanks to hold the extra skin so add that into the 105 lbs. If she has 6 lbs of extra skin that puts her under 100lbs. They normally on the show and IRL will not do the skin surgery until they have stopped losing weight or if the skin is interfering with everyday life.   I fear she just replaced another addiction with another.  She works out 4-6 hours a day.  

I believe they said she was the first winner to come in under weight.

I wonder if they don't get them surgery to take care of the extra skin. I'm well aware of the surgery people go through post-bariatric surgery, and spanx can only hide so much. The men were wearing very form-fitting suits, and they would have had a pannus, at minimum, to deal with. The woman who won would have had extensive skin in her upper arms, belly, and thighs. They must have surgery provided by the show for the top finishers. There's no other way. Skin doesn't bounce back that easily after being so large--even if the contestants are young.

As to the winner, she looked very thin for her body type…it's not just weight/BMI…but as the Biggest Loser pays based on total percentage of weight loss, they are encouraging this behavior. If they gave people a minimum BMI or what not, what would they do if all of the finishers achieved it? Perhaps each would get $100k?

I've lost *considerable* weight. While I am 4 inches taller than her and have a very sporty build, I have been north of 260 pounds and a size 22 that was getting snug before I turned my habits around. I have not had surgery and the only funky skin I have is on my twice c-sectioned bikini line area tummy and stretch marks from pregnancy, which I would have regardless and had before I gained. Not everyone needs skin surgery. The skin on my arms, legs and the rest of my torso is all fine. I am 33 now and I was my heaviest at about 29. My doctor said it was because of genes and that I was still young and that I had not be carrying that much weight for a decade.

Also the way they drop it so fast does lead to a saggier skin. All of the contestants seemed to be sporting loose skin (including her, just much less). I don't think that they have had surgery already, but maybe.

What I've read (and yes, Katie, I'm outing myself too!) is that she looked even thinner in real life, according to people who were actually at the finale. The camera does "add ten pounds". (I put that in quotes since it may not be exactly ten pounds but it does make you look heavier.)

;)

Yeah I am trying to figure out my fascination with it. I found it one night back when Hulu was the new thang and I was like "this is so totally messed up!" but I persist in finding it is a mix of horrifying (I am quite certain they must be woefully under hydrated to pull those numbers) and compelling. I really dislike the language they use around losing weight, like they were awful failures before and losing weight is the key to their happiness. No. If you are miserable, you very well could miserable at any size. Also the show really doesn't pay these people enough.

There are frames that are totally healthy at 105 pounds, even taller ones. Either hers isn't one of them or she got stuck with a terrible makeup artist. There's a noticeable difference between people who are healthy even when very slim and people who are too thin for their frame due to diet or health issues.

With so much money being offered, why is it surprising that she tried to keep losing weight? If she had stopped at 10-15lbs heavier, she probably wouldn't have received the prize. Of course she worked as hard as she could! I think she looks thin, but not dangerously skinny. Her BMI is not that low. I thought her face looked gaunt, but that could be partly makeup and stress.

I've lost *considerable* weight. While I am 3-4 inches taller than her and have a very sporty build, I have been north of 260 pounds and a size 22 that was getting snug before I turned my habits around. I have not had surgery and the only funky skin I have is on my twice c-sectioned bikini line area tummy and stretch marks from pregnancy, which I would have regardless and had before I gained. Not everyone needs skin surgery. The skin on my arms, legs and the rest of my torso is all fine. I am 33 now and I was my heaviest at about 29. My doctor said it was because of genes and that I was still young and that I had not be carrying that much weight for a decade.

Also the way they drop it so fast does lead to a saggier skin. All of the contestants seemed to be sporting loose skin (including her, just much less). I don't think that they have had surgery already, but maybe.

You're lucky.  So, have I….but I'm not just talking about her but the men who were much heavier….closer to 400 pounds.  They had on some super tight suits, and their skin would have shown more IMHO.  I've seen men with weights that high who have pannus/aprons that hang down to their knees.  Those suits they had on left nothing to the imagination. :)

I actually think that the show should provide cosmetic surgery to the contestants for excess skin removal.  I also think that they should be offered the option of say a sleeve gastrectomy or something similar should they regain to a certain BMI…so they don't have to "go all the way" back up.  But that's just my thoughts. :)

Her BMI is about 17.5 now, which is underweight. I imagine though that she will probably put on 10-15 pounds now. I hope so, the very thin face ages her considerably. Consider than Jillian Michaels is 10 pounds more than her but 3 inches shorter. I don't think she looked very healthy. The color in her face and the sallow look was noticeable.

Jillian Michaels has much more muscle.

I heard Bob and Jillian on the radio once saying that they hate the scale component of the Biggest Loser. If they had their way there would be no scale.

Funny, my husband and I were commenting on how loose and ill fit David's suit was when we watched it last night (the first male finalist who wasn't Bobby- is his name David? That is who I mean.). Some of the suits were pretty tight though for sure. Definitely most of them had visible loose skin.

I think they all have something binding their chests and abs and that is why they wear shirts for the finale weigh in but not the others. The way it looks it reminds me of the chest binders my brother wore after chest surgery. Like a modern unisex girdle. A male friend of mine wore something similar when he lost about 140 pounds very fast. He had skin surgery later on.

Jillian Michaels has much more muscle.

I heard Bob and Jillian on the radio once saying that they hate the scale component of the Biggest Loser. If they had their way there would be no scale.

Yeah but anyone working out that much should at least get nice muscles from it. She looked stronger at the last weigh in than she did at the finale. I was like "those aren't the arms of a swimmer!"

I agree the scale is silly and potentially misused. Body fat targets would make more sense.

I read a story about it in which they talked to some last contestants. They all said that most of the finalists haven't eaten in a couple of days and keep themselves dehydrated going in to the finale. It seems most gain 10-30 lbs back the week after the finale before they sort of stabilize. It seems like the show is promoting some really unhealthy things to get to the lowest weight the contestants can.

What I've read (and yes, Katie, I'm outing myself too!) is that she looked even thinner in real life, according to people who were actually at the finale.  The camera does "add ten pounds".  (I put that in quotes since it may not be exactly ten pounds but it does make you look heavier.)

IME from tv gigs in my pre-motherhood career, it certainly adds the look of weight. It adds the perception of width.I cannot imagine this "winner" having less wide arms than I am seeing from the television shots.

I've heard she is a former serious swimmer. Perhaps all swimming and no weight training would result in a wiry build like this? I dunno...

It's not a look I'd want modeled for my daughters. I think the looks on the trainers' faces is telling. 

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-body/news/biggest-losers-jillian-michaels-bob-harper-react-to-winner-rachel-fredericksons-shocking-weight-loss-201452

With so much money being offered, why is it surprising that she tried to keep losing weight? If she had stopped at 10-15lbs heavier, she probably wouldn't have received the prize. Of course she worked as hard as she could! I think she looks thin, but not dangerously skinny. Her BMI is not that low. I thought her face looked gaunt, but that could be partly makeup and stress.

No, she still would have won at 117. The second place guy lost like 54 percent of his weight. Of course she didn't know that before the finale.

She did look overly thin to the trainers. Dolvett's comments hinted and Bob and Jillian were quick to say they weren't involved.

I don't think the problem here is that Rachel weighs 105 pounds.

The problem is that she weighed 260 pounds just 5 months ago.

There is absolutely no healthy way to lose 155 pounds in 5 months. None.

Looking at the photos of her from the finale, I saw a young woman who probably crash dieted, compulsively exercised, and used lots of diuretics and laxatives to lose the weight. Realistically, there is almost no other way to lose that amount of weight. She looked gaunt, dehydrated, and unhealthy.

I hope she did it for the money and that she will now settle into a healthier lifestyle, but I'm not at all convinced that she will do that.

I don't think the problem here is that Rachel weighs 105 pounds.

The problem is that she weighed 260 pounds just 5 months ago.

There is absolutely no healthy way to lose 155 pounds in 5 months. None.

Looking at the photos of her from the finale, I saw a young woman who probably crash dieted, compulsively exercised, and used lots of diuretics and laxatives to lose the weight. Realistically, there is almost no other way to lose that amount of weight. She looked gaunt, dehydrated, and unhealthy.

I hope she did it for the money and that she will now settle into a healthier lifestyle, but I'm not at all convinced that she will do that.

Yes, I completely agree.

I'm really curious about what she weighed/how she looked before she gained the weight, when she was a competitive swimmer.

I also think that there is no comparison between someone who is 5'4", 105lbs and has always been within 30ish pounds of that, and someone who loses 155lbs to get to 105.

I read today in an article by a former contestant that they tape the excess skin so it can't be seen as easily on camera.

You inspired me to Google. This is really interesting...

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/former-biggest-loser-contestant-andrew-cosi-costello-reveals-the-truth-about-the-weight-loss-show/story-e6frfmq9-1226820498768

" Have you ever wondered how the contestants manage to lose a staggering 12 kilos in a single week? We don't. In my series a weekly weigh-in was NEVER filmed after just one week of working out. In fact the longest gap from one weigh-in to the next was three and a half weeks. That's 25 days between weigh-ins, not seven. That "week" I lost more than nine kilos. I had to stand on the scales and was asked to say the line, "wow, it's a great result, I've worked really hard this week". The producers made sure that we never gave this secret away, because if we did, it created a nightmare for them in the editing suite. The shortest gap from weigh-in to weigh-in during our series was 16 days. That's a fact. The thing is, overweight people get inspired by watching the Biggest Loser. They get off the couch and they hit the gym. But after a week in the real world, some people might only lose 1kg so they feel like they've failed and they give up."

Funny, my husband and I were commenting on how loose and ill fit David's suit was when we watched it last night (the first male finalist who wasn't Bobby- is his name David? That is who I mean.). Some of the suits were pretty tight though for sure. Definitely most of them had visible loose skin.

I think they all have something binding their chests and abs and that is why they wear shirts for the finale weigh in but not the others. The way it looks it reminds me of the chest binders my brother wore after chest surgery. Like a modern unisex girdle. A male friend of mine wore something similar when he lost about 140 pounds very fast. He had skin surgery later on.

I've noticed the man girdles on many of the male contestants over the years.

It's silly that everyone is so up in arms about this.  That show is notorious for letting people diet and exercise in dangerous ways and they hail the "trainers" as heroes.  Those people are put through hell and millions of people watch it.  Almost no one from that show keeps the weight off, because it isn't a sustainable situation.  It's not good for anyone to lose weight that quickly, especially someone who is obese and quite unhealthy to begin with.  I you lose the least, you get kicked out, when in reality losing weight at a slow and steady pace is what's recommended by health experts.

We've glorified being skinny and offered up huge cash prizes for losing the most weight whether its healthy and sustainable or not.   For people to turn around and say she's too thin is hypocritical and silly.  Of course she's too thin.  That's the point of the show.

This is from a couple of years ago, before this latest ridiculousness:

http://www.livescience.com/9820-biggest-loser-big-problems-health-experts.html

Yes, I completely agree.

I'm really curious about what she weighed/how she looked before she gained the weight, when she was a competitive swimmer.

I also think that there is no comparison between someone who is 5'4", 105lbs and has always been within 30ish pounds of that, and someone who loses 155lbs to get to 105.

In the pictures from the show pre gain in her competitive swim days (with suit and medals) she was not 105 pound thin. More like 120-125ish given her height.