Menu

Scripted lessons, do you like them?

MommyInTraining

I despise scripted lessons, which by that I mean, :Say to your child, "Let's identify the adverbs in this sentence."

Child: Your child should point out the word happily.

Teacher: Ask your student why the word happily is an adverb.

I can't stand that. I know it helps others but personally, it kills all the joy of exchange of teaching/learning for me.

I despise scripted lessons, which by that I mean, :Say to your child, "Let's identify the adverbs in this sentence."

Child: Your child should point out the word happily.

Teacher: Ask your student why the word happily is an adverb.

I can't stand that. I know it helps others but personally, it kills all the joy of exchange of teaching/learning for me.

:iagree: I tend to rebel against them. DS and I have very good communication that I would categorize as unique.

I really dislike them. RS Math gets about as directive as I can handle, and even there I usually don't follow the script exactly.

I can understand that scripting can be a real help to people who don't feel entirely confident about teaching a particular subject (which is why I tolerate it to a certain extent in math), and I do appreciate tips and suggestions about how to present the material. But a completely scripted lesson takes all the creativity, challenge, and fun out of teaching for me. If I'm just mouthing someone else's words, I might as well just pop in a video and be done with it.

I've used FLL and OPGTR and I ended up reading through the lesson quickly and presenting it more naturally. I do like 'hearing' good teaching, but I don't stick to the script. I think it would bug me if it was hard to read over quickly and present as felt right.

I used to hate them to the point of nausea. But now? Ha! Idealism has winged on elsewhere.

I like 'em a lot! A script saves me time, energy and "thought juice" that I can put into actual hands-on, teaching-by-mommy that only I can deliver.;)

I like the guidance, the direction, which gives me more freedom, ironically. I usually just skim along and paraphrase in my own words. Sometimes I read the script verbatim, like the sheriff will come if I don't, but usually I use it as a much-needed and appreciated prompt. And sometimes, I admit, the script's ideas are better than any I could come up with.

Even though I may follow a script, I'm still a homeschool diva:D

I have to say that I like them in some subjects. I find that the scripting in FLL a real bonus. When I have to jump into a grammar lesson after doing another subject with my other child it makes it so much easier. I have very little motivation to do extensive planning for grammar. This allows it to be pick up and go and I really like that. I spend my lesson planning time on other things that are more fun to me like history, science, math...pretty much anything else aside from grammar;) I also use OPGTR and there I just skim over the script and use my own words. Besides, you can only do so much with multiple kids.

I adore scripted lessons.

Usually I don't follow the script, though. I just use it as a suggestion rather than a prescription.

On days when I'm exhausted or distracted they are so very handy, though -- you can just go through the day on autopilot. Given that we can't call in a substitute teacher, the script functions as my sub.

For Math, I LOVE, LOVE them. I am AWFUL at math and Professor B is teaching them specific things in the way he presents material. He is very good at this and I am not. So I just read what he says. Actually, we bought the CD for Book 3 so I just watch it with DD. I am still reading the scripted lessons in Book 2 with DS, though.

For other subjects where I have more confidence, no. And I wouldn't want a script for history/literature, if you're indeed referring to Heart of Dakota. There's too many ways the discussion can go. And I would want to do it from my faith perspective. List of things to talk about? Sure. Script? No.

I found FLL to be mostly an exception, though. I wasn't confident in teaching littles, so it gave me a safety net. And if I didn't like the way FLL said something, I said it my way. I knew no FLL police were coming. ; )

I feel like a fool following a lesson script exactly. I also feel like Becca sees right through it - KWIM? I felt like a complete idiot trying to follow the Saxon math script.

We do use FLL, but I pretty much read the lesson myself and then teach it to Becca. I just can't muster the perkiness necessary to follow scripts! :glare:

I had been considering using HOD, but for some reason the scriptedness of it is bothering me. That is unappealing to me for some reason and I am wondering if anyone else feels that way about scripted material.

:iagree:Yes, I felt the same way! I actually had one of the manuals and tried it....the script just did not work for us. It took the "oomph" out of our lesson. It also made me feel restricted in a way. Strange thing, the script in FLL does work for us. Go figure.

I had been considering using HOD, but for some reason the scriptedness of it is bothering me. That is unappealing to me for some reason and I am wondering if anyone else feels that way about scripted material.

It wasn't too bad after I got comfortable enough to vary from the script when necessary -- and then get back to it, which I felt like I had to do to make sure I didn't miss something. But in general, I didn't like them.

I hate scripted. What if ds asks something that's not in the script? LOL. Everything I do with my dc is a conversation. If I'm so unsure of a topic, then I read up on it first, or just learn it along with them. Even reading a script to myself makes me feel condescended to.

I don't like scripted lessons at.all. It's too hard for me to "see" what needs to be taught--I guess I'm a very visual learner. :) I am trying to use RS math for my dd and while it isn't even fully scripted, I do have a difficult time with it. It takes me a LOT longer to prepare for lessons. If it is completely scripted I can't even use it. I'd prefer a text book to fully scripted.

Calvert is pretty well scripted. I read it first and if I think it is of importance or if it is stated clearly and concisely, then I use it. If not or if it is over worded, I simplify. Often times, I read it and then just let the conversation flow as it will after that.

I guess I should say that Calvert says, "say: blah blah blah" and sometimes it will tell you what the child should do, or may have in parenthesis the answer they are looking for, but it doesn't have a entire dialogue in there for you. But still...I would call it scripted.

I think that, in a way, it helps my son to see it in the manual or to know I have read something from the manual because then he feels more like there is someone else involved and I am not just teaching him from my head. He is still in ps mentality that I am mom and couldn't possibly know enough to be a teacher. LOL