Menu

Weight loss-- When nothing works, then what?

Shellydon

So here is what I have tried to lose weight for the past 3 years

Low carb/Paleo -- this made me very ill and caused a heart arrhythmia that disappeared when I stopped the diet.  I was monitored by my doctor for a time for it.  I can't explain why it happened.

Gluten free -- no change

Dairy free -- no change

Grain free -- no change

Sugar free -- no change

typical diet, just calories at 1400 per day or less --no change

typical diet , calories at 1800 per day -- no change

I have added both strength training and walking/jogging to all of the above.

I've done TTAPP and gained inches

I have used topical progesterone --  no change

I have gained 10 pounds over the last 3 years.   I am at a loss as to what to do now.   I am not sensitive to any food groups- e.g., I don't feel any better or worse when I eliminate something.

My thyroid has tested normal for the last 3 years. 

Within in 4 months of weaning my 4th child, I gained 20 lbs.  I have now gained at additional 10.  I was a size 6/8 for years and years and now am a 10/12. 

I am desperate for suggestions.

That sounds very frustrating.  One mistake people tend to make when dieting is to under estimate how much food they are eating (did you track your food intake and measure with a food scale?) and over estimate their activity levels.  Could that possibly be the case?

Myfitnesspal.com is a great place to go with a lot of people who have btdt, you may get more responses at a site like that.

A few thoughts.

You don't have to answer these questions, but how old are you?  What is your height and weight?  How long ago since you had your last child?  How long did you try sticking to a "diet"?

As we age it gets harder to lose weight.  Exercise is helpful, but it is only one part of the equation.  You have to exercise at a med-high intensity for about 45 mins a day, 6 days a week, or high intensity for close to 30 mins a day.  You have to watch what you eat.  I'm not a calorie counting fan.  I like portion control.  I also think not every calorie is equal, what you eat matters.  You need the correct balance of food for you.  Some people do need a lower carb diet, others do not.  I've also found it helpful to watch when I eat certain foods.  When I lost the most weight I was eating my largest meal at mid-day.  So I had a decent breakfast, large "dinner", small snack and a light supper (soup or salad).  I also took B vitamins, but I don't know if they helped.

You have to not give up.  Scales are evil, really, they are.  It took me a year, A YEAR, of watching what I ate and running before I even lost a pound.  My focus was my overall health, so I didn't get discouraged.

I've had 5 kids, by the time I was trying to lose that baby weight I was 37.  My body did not want to let go of any of it.  But more of an issue for me was my need for energy and my mental health.

I understand that it's frustrating.  I really do.  As I said, I was running and watching my diet for a year before I saw any results, and honestly, even then it wasn't until after I had the flu for 2 weeks and then started running again that I lost any weight. (It was the swine flu. Nasty bug). I don't recommend getting the flu as a diet aid, but you use whatever you're given.:)  Overall I lost 28 lbs, and I've kept it off (I'll soon be 44).  

As far as what exercise works, again I think it depends.  Running was best for me.  But now I run and do kettlebell (plus yoga, always yoga).  Weight lifting is great, and I think everyone should do some, but depending on your body type, you might not see a big reduction of weight from it.  Even combing it with cardio (like Crossfit)  doesn't seem to be as effective for some as straight out cardio (running, spin class, etc...).  But it doesn't matter, any exercise will help and you should do something you enjoy (and I do know people who have lost weight with Crossfit, again, it takes time).

Focus on your health, not on the scale, or even on inches.  

So here is what I have tried to lose weight for the past 3 years

Low carb/Paleo -- this made me very ill and caused a heart arrhythmia that disappeared when I stopped the diet.  I was monitored by my doctor for a time for it.  I can't explain why it happened.

Gluten free -- no change

Dairy free -- no change

Grain free -- no change

Sugar free -- no change

typical diet, just calories at 1400 per day or less --no change

typical diet , calories at 1800 per day -- no change

I have added both strength training and walking/jogging to all of the above.

I've done TTAPP and gained inches

I have used topical progesterone --  no change

I have gained 10 pounds over the last 3 years.   I am at a loss as to what to do now.   I am not sensitive to any food groups- e.g., I don't feel any better or worse when I eliminate something.

My thyroid has tested normal for the last 3 years. 

Within in 4 months of weaning my 4th child, I gained 20 lbs.  I have now gained at additional 10.  I was a size 6/8 for years and years and now am a 10/12. 

I am desperate for suggestions.

I don't know what TTAPP is. 

Have you kept a food log/journal? Have you ever weighed or measured portions? 

What is your mental outlook towards food? 

Did you see improvements in muscle tone and/or agility when you were exercising? 

P.S. I read no other replies yet, so as not to cloud my thoughts. 

Well, I'm in a similar position. I have 4 kids and have lost the weight w/ all of them and lost it many years b/f when Depo caused weight gain.It has never been super easy but doable, well this time it was a bit harder than usual but I made it but then I started gaining back and now I've gained back 10 lbs. I know how to lose weight but right now my body is fighting me very hard. If I try to cut carbs or food in general I feel like crap and my energy is even less and it isn't that great now to begin with. I don't think it is normal that suddenly you start gaining weight w/out any change.

I've felt my hormones have been off since I've been pregnant and I recently had my levels tested, they are in the "normal" range according to the OB's nurse but I'm currently consulting w/ another dr. as I know lab ranges are often off, especially when it comes to the thyroid which is notoriously underdiagnosed. I'm trying to get in now to see her as her initial assessment is that my levels indicate hypothyroidism. I also know that w/ adrenal and thyroid issues hard exercise is contraindicated. I don't know, I hope I can get in and get some kind of treatment soon, otherwise I'm just trying to keep from gaining any more weight. The OB did bring up hormones levels as well and I know my hormones have been totally jacked w/ my period trying to come back.

I'm still in the healthy range as well, right now I'm a 7/8 but usually I'm about a 2/4-3/5. As I said though I know that I don't feel myself and I'm tired of being tired. Something is off when your body starts gaining weight out of the blue. 

I have to shoot for 1200 or less calories to lose anything. I've been "blessed" with a very slow metabolism and it's hard to get accurate calorie counts 100% of the time. If I aim for 1200, I'm probably eating closer to 1300 +, more if I've eaten out. I also have to watch all of the BLT's (bites, licks and tastes). I have slow - half lb a week or so - success if I eat 1200 clean, unprocessed calories a day. Lots of fruits and veg, legumes, whole grains, lean proteins, etc. None to very little dairy. It's hard though and it's very easy to munch on a handful of tortilla chips and salsa when DH is snacking or grabbing a handful of cashews or almonds. Or grabbing a couple of my son's crackers, etc. When I do any of that, I don't lose anything and occasionally gain. 

Also exercise most days - cardio + push ups, sit ups, lunges, etc.

Now knowing what I need to do and actually doing it are two different things....

I struggled with the same issues. I could not get the scale to move, no matter what I did! So, after a year of WW in conjunction with a beachbody exercise video, I took my daily food logs and exercise logs into my doctor for the previous 3 months. She recommended I see an endochrinologist and I finally saw her a few weeks ago. My tests came back normal (they always do) but she seemed to think I might be insulin-resistant. She prescribed a low dose of medicine usually used for diabetics. I've only been on it for a week, but for the first time the scale moved in the downward direction! I'm excited to see where I am after a few months. 

I use MyFitnessPal to track everything. I'm 40 and my youngest is 4. I have a treadmill and a Bowflex for exercise. presently I walk 1-2 miles a day at a fast pace (4.0-4.3) with varying inclines. I do strength straining 3 times a week. I detest every single moment of it, but do it anyway. I am crazy uncoordinated and have seriously injured myself doing things like the 30 Day Shred, so I stick with what I know won't hurt me. With no results I feel like I am wasting my time. With homeschooling 4 kids plus housework, laundry,meals, kid activities I don't have time to waste . I am 5'9" and two chicken to post my weight.

Eat only when physically hungry and stop before physically full (stop when satisfied).  This has worked for me and others I know very successfully. I don't like writing off entire foods/food groups myself. 

I'm also getting into the 5:2 diet which I don't like naming that way because then it sounds like a fad, but it's as old as the hills really.  It's basically eating very restricted calories two days a week (meaning 500 or fewer), and then normally the other days (not necessarily extra on the other days).  You can find info. online.  People will say that you can't limit calories so very much (which I do in the first method above) because you don't want to go into starvation mode -- which is questionable imo -- and with the 5:2 diet while you're drastically eating fewer calories two days a week, you can't go into starvation mode because you're eating regularly on the other days.  It's apparently proving to be good for numerous issues, of which weight is only one. 

I was a size 6/8 for most of my life and when I hit 40, things started to change. I'm now a 10/12. I cycle during decent weather and walk during crummy weather. I work three days a week at a job that keeps me on my feet. I have dieted to help keep dh motivated, and I have not dieted. My weight stays the same either way. FInally my doctor told me that's just the weight my 52 year old body wants to maintain. I eat reasonably well and exercise a fair amount. It is what it is. I'm a ten. 

Maybe there is something you can do to drop ten pounds but being physically fit is more important than a number on a scale. If you exercise and eat well, being a 10/12 is fine! 

I suggest you're not at an unhealthy weight/size, so why are you so desperate to lose weight? If you're stable, and healthy and fit for whatever activities you enjoy, you're fine.

This, possibly. I just had a current fitness evaluation. I will be 48 soon. I was STUNNED at the recommended healthy body weight for me. It was 30!!!! pounds more than I was going for based on previous body weights.

I am not eating disordered - those earlier weights were healthy for me in my 20's and 30's but not now.

Eat only when physically hungry and stop before physically full (stop when satisfied).  This has worked for me and others I know very successfully. I don't like writing off entire foods/food groups myself. 

I'm also getting into the 5:2 diet which I don't like naming that way because then it sounds like a fad, but it's as old as the hills really.  It's basically eating very restricted calories two days a week (meaning 500 or fewer), and then normally the other days (not necessarily extra on the other days).  You can find info. online.  People will say that you can't limit calories so very much (which I do in the first method above) because you don't want to go into starvation mode -- which is questionable imo -- and with the 5:2 diet while you're drastically eating fewer calories two days a week, you can't go into starvation mode because you're eating regularly on the other days.  It's apparently proving to be good for numerous issues, of which weight is only one. 

To the bold - I agree. It wasn't until I read The Paleo Manifesto that I heard someone say fasting through a meal or two fairly often was not bad and, in fact, makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. It's only in modern, western living that food is constantly available and virtually no calories need be expended obtaining/preparing it. Ancient people would have fasted through a meal or two with regularity just from a logistical necessity - food was not immediately available for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack(s). 

I haven't heard of 5:2 "plan," but it makes sense to me. Fasting from a meal or two with some regularity is what I always naturally tended to do, even though I was constantly hearing that you should never skip meals and never skip breakfast and blah, blah, blah. I'm glad I read Paleo and got "permission" again to not eat breakfast if I wasn't hungry!  :thumbup1:

As others have said, health first! I waited around until I was 49 1/2 to try to get in shape. It can be done. I started just wanting to be healthy and be around for my then 4 yo. Weight slowly (very slowly) started to come off but it wasn't until I got in decent enough shape to really work out (I run) that the weight moved. When it did I switched from healthy to counting calories w/myfitnesspal. Every bite needs to be counted for that to work. I still log everything a couple years later. I'm just not going to be able to eat like I did in my 20's and I'm not going to look the same either. Good luck.

I've found that lifting heavy weight has done wonders for me and this is coming from someone who loves to run. It's allowed me to reshape my body, gain muscle mass and that in turn has allowed me to lose weight all while cutting back on running. I lift 3 days a week and run 2 or 3 days. I try to keep my weight lifting reps to 10 per exercise using a weight heavy enough that the last 1 or 2 reps are a struggle to complete, so that kinda gives you an idea of the amount of weight I'm talking about.

Now this didn't happen over night. It takes many weeks to gain even small amounts of muscle mass. There is a fabulous book title Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle. I really can't say enough wonderful things about this book. It has a wealth of information in it and I frequently use it for a reference when it come to how to better my eating habits.

I've found that lifting heavy weight has done wonders for me and this is coming from someone who loves to run. It's allowed me to reshape my body, gain muscle mass and that in turn has allowed me to lose weight all while cutting back on running. I lift 3 days a week and run 2 or 3 days. I try to keep my weight lifting reps to 10 per exercise using a weight heavy enough that the last 1 or 2 reps are a struggle to complete, so that kinda gives you an idea of the amount of weight I'm talking about.

Now this didn't happen over night. It takes many weeks to gain even small amounts of muscle mass. There is a fabulous book title Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle. I really can't say enough wonderful things about this book. It has a wealth of information in it and I frequently use it for a reference when it come to how to better my eating habits.

I don't have access to free weights.  I will see if heavy lifting is possible on the Bowflex.

Running isn't an option. I have terrible knees-- I already know a knee replacement is in my future.  According to my doctor, I will just speed up the time frame for that if I take up running.  

I have heard of the 5:2 plan, where you eat 200 calories 2 days a week, then eat whatever you want the other 5 days.  Is that what you guys are referring too?

I don't have access to free weights. I will see if heavy lifting is possible on the Bowflex.

I have dumbbells and a barbell. Check craigslist, ect. Sometimes you can get great deals on them. If your up for it , it's really worth the investmest as they last forever.

Alton Brown has a podcast (you can find it on itunes) and his most recent one was an interview with the trainer he used to lose his weight. One of the first things the trainer said was quit using diets. Basically he said eat real food, including carbs, and exercise. There was a lot more to it than that, but the biggest thing I got from it was to eat food, real food, and drink water. No diet sodas, no fake sweeteners, etc.  No "diet" food and don't cut anything out of your diet. He said eat healthy foods 6 days a week then allow yourself a "splurge" day. Alton also had a registered dietician on the same podcast. It was very interesting and really encouraging. 

I have dumbbells and a barbell. Check craigslist, ect. Sometimes you can get great deals on them. If your up for it , it's really worth the investmest as they last forever.

You also may want to try kettle bells.  They combine weight training with aerobic exercises.

I was a competitive power lifter in my mid-30's. I weighed 179 but wore a size 10/12.  I would bench 325 with a spotter and dead lift 425.  Once I stopped competing and our gym sold, the weight came on fast.  I'm 49 now and very over-weight. I can't afford a gym fee here and free weights are too expensive.  I used to do bicep curls @ 80 lbs.  Those dumbbells alone are astronomical!  Kettle bells are more economical and you only need one to start and work your whole body.  They come in many different sizes like dumbbells.

I find working out with kettle bells fun and challenging - more so than just lifting. I get a much more well-rounded workout and kill two birds with one bell so to speak.

Where are you looking?

Just curious if the charts I am looking at are off too?

I am not even shooting for a low weight within my chart…..top of the chart is fine.  Unfortunately, I am short and most charts say about 128 is the MAX I should weight given a medium frame.  I don't weight that.

Dawn

This, possibly. I just had a current fitness evaluation. I will be 48 soon. I was STUNNED at the recommended healthy body weight for me. It was 30!!!! pounds more than I was going for based on previous body weights.

I am not eating disordered - those earlier weights were healthy for me in my 20's and 30's but not now.

You also may want to try kettle bells.  They combine weight training with aerobic exercises.

I was a competitive power lifter in my mid-30's. I weighed 179 but wore a size 10/12.  I would bench 325 with a spotter and dead lift 425.  Once I stopped competing and our gym sold, the weight came on fast.  I'm 49 now and very over-weight. I can't afford a gym fee here and free weights are too expensive.  I used to do bicep curls @ 80 lbs.  Those dumbbells alone are astronomical!  Kettle bells are more economical and you only need one to start and work your whole body.  They come in many different sizes like dumbbells.

I find working out with kettle bells fun and challenging - more so than just lifting. I get a much more well-rounded workout and kill two birds with one bell so to speak.

Wowzers!!!   :thumbup1:

This.  Some dumbells are on sale this week at Target.  I'm no expert, but depending on your fitness level, I'd start with something like two 5 lb (e.g., these are $6.39 each) and two 8 lb (these are $8.80 each).  Or, maybe start smaller - the lighter weights are even cheaper (they come in many sizes!).  Then later on, when you're stronger, you can consider something heavier (10-12 lb).

Focus on being healthy and fit.  Let go of your scale.  Even throw it out if you can, or get one like this.

Take up yoga, pilates, tai chi…something along those lines.

Start lifting weights 3x/week.  If you don't have dumbbells, you can use cans or bottles with water. You can also use exercise/resistance bands or kettle bells.

Look at your diet.  Do you eat a lot of fruits and veggies? If not, try and increase.  Start with one serving per meal and go up slowly.  Do you eat a lot of processed foods? Try making some of them yourself.

Can you convert a treadmill into a treadmill desk? If you don't own one, usually you can pick one up cheaply on Craigslist.  Or…buy a FitBit Zip or something similar and go for 10,000 steps.

Write a gratitude journal.

Use positive affirmations regarding your body.

Love yourself and your body right now.  Be grateful for the four kids it's helped you nourish and birth.  For all the tasks it does each and every day.  

I have heard of the 5:2 plan, where you eat 200 calories 2 days a week, then eat whatever you want the other 5 days.  Is that what you guys are referring too?

Yes, but from what I've read (I have the book), it's 500 calories for women on the two fasting days not 200.  I have personally found it an interesting concept because in our faith (Orthodox Christianity), we've been fasting two days a week since the first century and the Jewish faith before that (and still?) also. By fasting we don't mean super low calories necessarily but rather fasting from certain specific rich foods, but at the same time I know that some DO also practice extended moderation on these two days.  So it's not a huge jump for me to move into this; the mindset is already there for which I'm a little bit thankful. 

Where are you looking?

Just curious if the charts I am looking at are off too?

I am not even shooting for a low weight within my chart…..top of the chart is fine. Unfortunately, I am short and most charts say about 128 is the MAX I should weight given a medium frame. I don't weight that.

Dawn

He didn't use a chart that I am aware of. He used body fat percentage to determine my amount of lean body mass (muscle, bones....) and pounds of fat.

My leans muscle mass alone was over 121 pounds.

My ideal weight is 174. That seems high, but It may make sense. At my current weight, still over 200, my 18's (regular, not women's) are loose.

I was thinking my goal should be 145 and even that seemed high to my culturally shaped weight brain. He seemed to think 145 would be unhealthy.

I struggled with the same issues. I could not get the scale to move, no matter what I did! So, after a year of WW in conjunction with a beachbody exercise video, I took my daily food logs and exercise logs into my doctor for the previous 3 months. She recommended I see an endochrinologist and I finally saw her a few weeks ago. My tests came back normal (they always do) but she seemed to think I might be insulin-resistant. She prescribed a low dose of medicine usually used for diabetics. I've only been on it for a week, but for the first time the scale moved in the downward direction! I'm excited to see where I am after a few months. 

Very interesting.  Thanks for sharing.

I was at a point where the same old stuff wasn't working. Low carb, weight lifting, and lots of cycling in the summer finally got me to break through. The real key though is patience and consistency. I've lost 20 lbs since May and continue to lose without trying hard, BUT its been at a very tedious rate - less than .5 lbs per week. Looking at any given week or even month, it doesn't look like much progress, and sometimes I even go up, but the big picture is awesome. I weigh myself daily, which is discouraging for some people, but helps keep me on track.