Menu

really? is this a normal comment?

athomeontheprairie

I had 3 of my kids with me at the bank. says a cashier "oh? you home school?" Me, "yes". Cashier " do you homeschool your son? " points to the two year old. Me "Ummm..."

no we just do this thing called life. how many 2 year olds do you know that are doing formal academics. I think what she wanted to know was what I do with him while the others are in school, but the comment just seems so odd to me. even two year old to go to daycare all they do is play...

No, sadly in many places even 2 y.o.'s are doing preschool that is academically-focused. Our local Parks & Rec offers a mommy & me preschool prep program for 15-24 mos. olds that bills itself as "an introduction to colors, shapes, numbers, counting, letters, pattern, sequencing, literature, science, and social studies". Seriously.

People are weird. I was shopping in Kohl's one day and a grandmother (I assume) was n the phone speaking to her dd or dil (again, I assume). She was asking if a child needed new school clothes and if she should get them in the 9 months or 12 months size! It is far from the only time I have heard of babies being referred to as "going to school".

thanks for the replies. it made me think of something:

when I worked for the library, I attended a childrens service meeting. one of my board members with with me. they were the mom of several young children. during the workshop we were encouraged to promote literacy among parents of young children. we talked about pointing out letters in words, signing, nursery rhymes, etc.

on the way home the lady I was with told me, it had never occurred to her to sing to her children, or teach the nursery rhymes, or point out letters. I was truly shocked and amazed! She has 5 kids! it never occurred to her to do those things with her children? !

things I took for granted she did not know. ( now I'm sure their stuff you may take for granted that I do not know...)

in like to some of your comments and the story I can understand why people think 2 year olds should be in school...

Well, I was working until DD#2 was a few months old; DD#1 was in daycare until she was almost 3.5.  Kids are in a classroom with a teacher.  They go and play outside on a playground connected to the building.  They have circle time, they color, etc.  I don't think "school" is a terribly wrong word to use to describe where they go.  

My response would have been something like, "Oh, this one's a little too young," with a laugh.  I mean, I teach DD#2 about letters, numbers, shapes, and colors, and she calls it her "school time," but I'm sure there are plenty of moms who do the same things with their 2-year-olds and have no intention of homeschooling later.  Actually, I did those things with DD#1 back when I never thought I would homeschool!

I do wonder if we have a different idea of what "doing life" is with little ones because we have such an intentional home-based idea of education. I'm assuming you're not settling down with a pile of workbooks with your child, but you are taking time to talk, explain, engage, and arouse curiosity. I know from experience (observation, working with other mothers of little ones) that it doesn't always happen. For example: I once spent about 15 minutes with my kids (then 1, 3, 4) talking about all of the cheese options in the fancy cheese counter at a supermarket. Another mother stopped me and said, "that's why I give my kids a phone in the store, so I don't have to talk to them the whole time." 

I've also had some people comment about homeschooling my preschool-aged child, with the idea that he'd not make any same-aged friends without going to school. I wonder if the question was some kind of backdoor into socialization?

Then again, it's probably polite chit-chat. I always read too much into these conversations.

In my house, in the early years, when I said, "it's time to do school!" my youngest (a toddler) would RUN into the dining room and climb up to the table. I had special toys for him and he was the happiest little guy you'd ever want to see. It makes me weepy to think of it, how the years just rocketed by.

No, sadly in many places even 2 y.o.'s are doing preschool that is academically-focused. Our local Parks & Rec offers a mommy & me preschool prep program for 15-24 mos. olds that bills itself as "an introduction to colors, shapes, numbers, counting, letters, pattern, sequencing, literature, science, and social studies". Seriously.

I think Bay Area parents have especially panic-induced thinking about parenting even young children. The colleges are competitive, and the COL is out of sight. There are Tiger Moms everywhere, from every culture. They see how competitive their own college experience was, and are trying to think about how to best parent in the culture in which they live. It's very hard. If a new young mother meets other new young mothers at Park & Rec programs, I see that as the least of it. It's the Kaplan and Sylvan preschool prep programs which kick it up a notch.  For folks who have seen the documentary on nursery school competition in Manhattan-- multiply that panic a couple of times, and add parents with astronomical grad school debt to that panic. And realize that in the Manhattan doc, most of the people applying were older and wealthy, which is not as true of the young parents in the San Fran area who don't have the same wealthy background, so have even more cause for extreme concern. Think too, how many of these young parents did grow up with a version of aTiger Mom.

I feel sorry that they are worrying so, but their worry is not unusual in some parts of the country, and especially in areas where every other person young has an advanced degree from a costly university, and pays 2-3k a month to live in a one bedroom apartment.

thanks for the replies. it made me think of something:

when I worked for the library, I attended a childrens service meeting. one of my board members with with me. they were the mom of several young children. during the workshop we were encouraged to promote literacy among parents of young children. we talked about pointing out letters in words, signing, nursery rhymes, etc.

on the way home the lady I was with told me, it had never occurred to her to sing to her children, or teach the nursery rhymes, or point out letters. I was truly shocked and amazed! She has 5 kids! it never occurred to her to do those things with her children? !

things I took for granted she did not know. ( now I'm sure their stuff you may take for granted that I do not know...)

in like to some of your comments and the story I can understand why people think 2 year olds should be in school...

I worked in a daycare/preschool and my job was with infants 6 weeks to 1 yr old. I was given a boxed "curriculum". It contained a hand puppet and index card sized cards that had activities on them. It would say to take the elephant puppet and stroke babies cheeks and sing this verse, point to babies nose and say "nose", etc.. I was shocked. I said to my boss that this is ridiculous, what parent doesn't do that? She said I would be surprised at how many children do not get the proper stimulation as infants. I still can't understand how it isn't instinctual to interact with your children.

My in-laws once commented that I spend so much time working with my then little kids. 

By this they meant, ... talking to them. 

????

My in-laws say I cause my kids all sorts of problems by reading to them too much.  Their logic...too much reading has led to my 4 year old teaching himself to read.  That is a big problem because when he goes to kindergarten he will be bored and won't have anything to do until the other kids catch up to him.

They are still in denial about the fact that we don't plan to send him to kindergarten and that we have always intended to homeschool our kids.  I won't be surprised if when we see them this summer they give DS a backpack and and talk up how much fun it will be for him to go to school.   :glare: 

Wendy 

She said I would be surprised at how many children do not get the proper stimulation as infants. I still can't understand how it isn't instinctual to interact with your children.

Apparently, parents don't have instincts about how to treat children.  I think, as we grow up, we observe how adults interact with us and other children.  Then, it is natural for us to treat our children in those same ways.  

ETA quote to which I was responding, by Berta.   

My in-laws once commented that I spend so much time working with my then little kids. 

By this they meant, ... talking to them. 

????

Has anyone heard of the research that looks into how much talking to children is done by parents of different cultures?  Apparently, Japanese mothers, for example, do less talking and more nonverbal interaction.    

In my house, in the early years, when I said, "it's time to do school!" my youngest (a toddler) would RUN into the dining room and climb up to the table. I had special toys for him and he was the happiest little guy you'd ever want to see. It makes me weepy to think of it, how the years just rocketed by.

I know! I have a photo somewhere of my then-toddler DD sitting in a booster seat at the kitchen table and building with her blocks until she couldn't reach any higher. At the other end of the table, my older DD and I had to watch out for towers toppling over on our homeschooling work. Last night DD was building a tower with Jenga blocks and I had a vision of that little preschooler. How can my baby be in 3rd grade?