Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW2

Robin M

On the subject of poetry:  I too should read more but I am admittedly stuck in a poetry rut.  I read excerpts from Eliot's Four Quartets regularly--something that I have been doing since I was nineteen or so.  I actually wore out one copy of Four Quartets (kept it rubber banded together) and eventually replaced it with a sewn copy.  I even keep a recorded Four Quartets (read by Ralph Fiennes) in my car. 

Slightly obsessed?  I guess.  I suppose that there are other poems to be read and everyone once in a while I read one.  The last book of non-T.S. Eliot poetry I read was Seamus Heaney's book District and Circle which I liked very much.  Oh--and I don't read Eliot's other works.  I have always said that I will eventually move on to The Wasteland after I have "mastered" Four Quartets.  Hasn't happened yet...

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About poetry: I haven't read any in a long time, but I noticed it is on one of the monthly challenges, so I deliberately began to to consider what I would like to read. When I have enjoyed poetry it is almost always the old fashioned lyrical kind, with rhythm, rhyme, and alliteration, the kind that is delicious to read outloud, making your tongue tingle with the pleasure: Poe, Wordsworth, Longfellow. I also love metaphor and wordplay. Frankly, I don't know much about modern poetry at all. I don't recognize many of the poets that have been mentioned in this thread.

I did enjoy the couple of poems by Billy Collins. Maybe I will see if I can find something of his.

I remember loving Eight Cousins and Rose in Bloom when I was in late elementary!  I loved book series back then just as much as I do now.  I think it's because I become so attached to my characters that I just can't bear to give them up. 

Or you could say, you are a loyal friend.  :thumbup1:

Kareni & Robin: Since you both often like romances with a SFF setting, I wanted to recommend to you are fun book I read last year: Firebrand

It was a delightful diversion - and I enjoyed the narrator's voice very much.  It was.. uhm... less G-rated than I generally prefer (I know, I reading Heian Japanese stories and those aren't G-rated either... ), but I enjoyed it very much... proof that all it takes to hook me is a voice I enjoy and characters I want to watch...

Robin, my dear, one more erudite note, I've been meaning to share these Tale of Genji related resources with you:

World of the Shining Prince by Ivan Morris: (the edition I own is older, and available much more inexpensively)

Tale of Genji: A Reader's Guide by William Puette:

I found both of these immensely valuable when I first read Tale of Genji (and if I do reread it this year, I anticipate coming back to both resources)

From around the same time:

Tales of Ise trans Helen McCullough: This is a literary form between the Kokinshu (a must read of Japanese lit, btw) which is a poetry anthology, and Genji (a novel in which poetry is featured/has a significant role), it is a collection of poems with some narrative sections. This edition would be worth it for the notes and intro alone... I am rereading it now and amazed by it all over again.  ...but I've also been looking at the RoyallTyler translation and now I want that one too (though I don't know how long it would take me to read this, relatively short, work, if I were reading two translation + two sets of, extensive, notes.

...and, if anyone wanted to take their exploration of Heian poetry further: Japanese Court Poetry

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Looks like I'll be revisiting Japan quite a bit this year. 

Posting from my phone so I don't have access to my lists and bookmarks but two wonderful poets that come to mind are Mary Oliver and Jane Hirschfield.

I'm curious to hear from the so-called non- poetry folks about what it is that puts you off? Maybe we can help each other, y'all can expand my fairly narrow range of literature love and I can show you that you, too, actually do have a poetic ear :D

I think what puts me off about poetry is having to decipher the meanings and symbols.  I read for pleasure mostly and am a very visual person.  And If I can't visualize it,  it just doesn't stick with me.  Also, I think it's an emotional thing. I had a professor in college that saw sex in every single thing we read and it scarred me for life. Just kidding. I just have a block when it comes to reading poetry but it's strange because in every story I've written, I love to write riddles in poetry form - puzzles from the bad guy for the heroine to figure out.  I guess I'd rather make them up, than try and read and interpret.

Well I'm sure I miss at least half, if not more, of what some poets are trying to say. But you know what, it doesn't matter. And I don't think that's the point. For me the point is language, the way my own soul rushes up to meet the poem and the places where we collide in a breathless heap. Perhaps it's only one single line out of the whole poem. But I allow that line to live in me for a while and see where it takes me.

Think about it this way, think about the poet herself or himself spending quiet hours writing and re-writing into what probably feels like a void at times. It's solitary, for the most part, a meditation, prayer even, silent communion with the deities of language. The poet is likely in a swoon some of the time and then eventually s/he re-emerges into the everyday world, a world that, let's face it, has less and less time for poets and the offspring of their labors, to offer up her or his heart with the book of poems. When I read the poem I'm not just reading the words on the page but am tapping into some of their unspoken meditations--that part always fascinates me, the silent places in the poem, where the words aren't.

So with this context I imagine them being thrilled just for someone to pause and offer their attention to one of the poems, one of their children, thrilled. In that state of gratitude there's no room for exclusivity, for an 'in crowd' who gets it and an 'out crowd' who is missing something. There's just a sweet wallowing in the words as they unfold across the page in a way particular to that poet. So I say embrace the part of you that secretly thinks she's missing something, take her arm in yours and stroll into the garden of your confusion together, linger there awhile like a couple of old and dear friends and applaud yourself for giving your attention to the poem, the line, the word, the image, even if only for a minute.

Thanks for this. Keeping a book or two lying around in a place in your home where you stop and pause is such a great way of entering the stream. Sometimes I like to just re-read a single line that has moved me, each day it tells me something different. And re connecting with only 1-3 poems, I imagine that the poet likely has poems that feel more resonant and 'complete' than others within a single collection. I do like and approve of your priority of reading a couple of collections a year :D

You have got to be a writer because you have such a passion for language.  Yes, no, maybe?    You have such passion for words, I love it.

Ever since the question was asked about why one doesn't like poetry, I've been pondering the question. And I really can't come up with an answer. To be fair, I haven't devoted a lot of time to reading poetry in my life, & I do feel like I'm someone who *should* like poetry (I used to edit so I can appreciate spare wording/precise vocabulary, I love reading great writing, even love experimental forms of writing, ...), but something just doesn't reach me through poetry.

Your statement is great. I'm not sure I ever would have come up with wording it that way, but it rings true to me too.

For those who have posted in defense & love of poetry: Thank You. You are making me see the possibilities, making me want to try again. I did read two books of poetry last year (Altazor and Night of My Blood). I loved, loved the beauty & surreality of Altazor. Night of My Blood was interesting (from an 'other cultures' perspective) but didn't really touch me, I think.

Perhaps I need to try more poetry this year. 

Totally agree with making us see the possibilities in poetry.

Ugh. Give me some warning when you all want to discuss St Augustine's Confessions, okay? So I'll know to skip the thread! :p

Oh my! :svengo:

Oh--and I don't read Eliot's other works.  I have always said that I will eventually move on to The Wasteland after I have "mastered" Four Quartets.  Hasn't happened yet...

If you decide to move on, there's always Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats  which inspired the musical Cats.  Those poems are a lot lighter than Eliot's Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock ....

Regards,

Kareni

Earlier today I finished another of Pamela Clare's I-team novels.  This was her latest ~ Striking Distance (An I-Team Novel) ~ and the feel was quite different from Breaking Point which I read a couple of days ago.  I liked it, too.

"TV reporter Laura Nilsson, known as the “Baghdad Babe,†spent eighteen months in an Al-Qaeda compound after being kidnapped live on the air. Two years later, she’s still wondering why.

No mission in Javier Corbray’s fourteen years as a Navy SEAL affected him the way Laura’s rescue did. No woman had stirred his protective instincts the way she did. And he wants her more than he’s ever wanted anyone.

As Laura and Javier’s passion ignites, so does Laura’s need to discover the mystery of her past. Especially when she learns that her abduction was not random—and that she’s still a target for a killer with an impenetrable motive. Now Javier will have to rely on his skills to keep the woman he loves from being struck down before she dares uncover the truth."

Regards,

Kareni

If you decide to move on, there's always Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats  which inspired the musical Cats.  Those poems are a lot lighter than Eliot's Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock ....

Regards,

Kareni

Love! This was very much a presence in our family when I was a child...The Rum Tum Tugger is a curious cat/if you offer him pheasant he'd rather have grouse/if you put him in a house, he would much prefer a flat.... Cat lovers, this is wonderful.

And it puts me in mind of Dylan Thomas's wonderful prose poem 'A Child's Christmas in Wales' Gorgeous and unapologetic use of language there.

I think what puts me off about poetry is having to decipher the meanings and symbols.  I read for pleasure mostly and am a very visual person.  And If I can't visualize it,  it just doesn't stick with me.  Also, I think it's an emotional thing. I had a professor in college that saw sex in every single thing we read and it scarred me for life. Just kidding. I just have a block when it comes to reading poetry but it's strange because in every story I've written, I love to write riddles in poetry form - puzzles from the bad guy for the heroine to figure out.  I guess I'd rather make them up, than try and read and interpret.

You have got to be a writer because you have such a passion for language.  Yes, no, maybe?    You have such passion for words, I love it.

Totally agree with making us see the possibilities in poetry.

Well, it sounds to me like you have a well established poetic ear. As for deciphering, that's optional as far as I'm concerned, she says gleefully with fingers in ears and la-la-la-ing all those highschool and college poetry teachers who wanted to hammer.the.point.home. Sometimes I want to work with a poem, sweat with it a little bit, you know, feel the flex and heat of my cerebral muscle as it expands and contracts with context and understanding as the meaning trickles down through the various layers of my psyche but sometimes I don't. Sometimes I just want to yield to the offering on the page without apology or effort, just with my heart or my skin, my breath, or my belly. Sometimes just my bones want the poem, the bareness of it all, the smoothness, the exquisite architecture of the words themselves.

In answer to your question, yes to all three, depending on the day or even the moment LOL. And thank you for your kind words. I do love language which is why it's such great fun hanging out on this thread where it appears everyone else appreciates the written word as well, for reasons that are often different from my own. I'm learning so much from y'all already and we're only two weeks in.

I'm wrapping up my Isabel D. mystery and have discovered that I didn't read the 2nd one. So now I've got that to look forward to. But I've also got Diana Wells, 'The Lives of Trees' on my list which looks very inviting, a kind dip-into now and then read or perhaps climb up into the branches would be a more fitting metaphor. There's 'Snow Country', there's Jane Hirschfield's 'The Ink Dark Moon' (for those wanting some Heian women's poetry). I'm tempted by Peace like a River but am a little concerned about how intense it actually gets.

I finished my next Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes book by Laurie R. King. A Letter of Mary was really good. Pretty much read it all today. A fun diversion from Wind Up Bird which I need to finish before the e library takes it back! I have a few more day but I always worry when I go under the week mark which is silly.

Well I'm sure I miss at least half, if not more, of what some poets are trying to say. But you know what, it doesn't matter. And I don't think that's the point. For me the point is language, the way my own soul rushes up to meet the poem and the places where we collide in a breathless heap. Perhaps it's only one single line out of the whole poem. But I allow that line to live in me for a while and see where it takes me.

Think about it this way, think about the poet herself or himself spending quiet hours writing and re-writing into what probably feels like a void at times. It's solitary, for the most part, a meditation, prayer even, silent communion with the deities of language. The poet is likely in a swoon some of the time and then eventually s/he re-emerges into the everyday world, a world that, let's face it, has less and less time for poets and the offspring of their labors, to offer up her or his heart with the book of poems. When I read the poem I'm not just reading the words on the page but am tapping into some of their unspoken meditations--that part always fascinates me, the silent places in the poem, where the words aren't.

So with this context I imagine them being thrilled just for someone to pause and offer their attention to one of the poems, one of their children, thrilled. In that state of gratitude there's no room for exclusivity, for an 'in crowd' who gets it and an 'out crowd' who is missing something. There's just a sweet wallowing in the words as they unfold across the page in a way particular to that poet. So I say embrace the part of you that secretly thinks she's missing something, take her arm in yours and stroll into the garden of your confusion together, linger there awhile like a couple of old and dear friends and applaud yourself for giving your attention to the poem, the line, the word, the image, even if only for a minute.

Thanks for this. Keeping a book or two lying around in a place in your home where you stop and pause is such a great way of entering the stream. Sometimes I like to just re-read a single line that has moved me, each day it tells me something different. And re connecting with only 1-3 poems, I imagine that the poet likely has poems that feel more resonant and 'complete' than others within a single collection. I do like and approve of your priority of reading a couple of collections a year :D

Wow, I love this. Thank you. I also like the idea of keeping a couple of poetry books around to pick up and read a bit here and there. 

Eliana quote: "I count anthologies or collections of poems, stories, or essays. (I cheated once and counted part of a complete Yeats collection, but only b/c there was a volume of his early poetry which included the ones I'd done) ...but I imagine you could, effectively, create your own anthologies... I created an American poetry anthology several years ago (and got a hardcopy printed by Lulu!) - not for a reading challenge, but to have one with the selections I wanted.."

I love this idea. I think I'm going to run with it and maybe do a handmade book of some sort at home.

And Rosie, St Augustine's Confessions awaits on my nook. ;)

Winter's Tale came to me from the library hold line up so now I have that and DQ going at the same time. It's an interesting mix. I am starting to love DQ. I didn't at first but something clicked and we are off ( on a scrawny horse).

A friend notified me of some cool reading Bingo cards...

http://www.retreatbyrandomhouse.ca/2014/01/reading-bingo-challenge-2014/

You beat me to it.  Saw it and loved it, printing it out to use myself.

Well, it sounds to me like you have a well established poetic ear. As for deciphering, that's optional as far as I'm concerned, she says gleefully with fingers in ears and la-la-la-ing all those highschool and college poetry teachers who wanted to hammer.the.point.home. Sometimes I want to work with a poem, sweat with it a little bit, you know, feel the flex and heat of my cerebral muscle as it expands and contracts with context and understanding as the meaning trickles down through the various layers of my psyche but sometimes I don't. Sometimes I just want to yield to the offering on the page without apology or effort, just with my heart or my skin, my breath, or my belly. Sometimes just my bones want the poem, the bareness of it all, the smoothness, the exquisite architecture of the words themselves.

In answer to your question, yes to all three, depending on the day or even the moment LOL. And thank you for your kind words. I do love language which is why it's such great fun hanging out on this thread where it appears everyone else appreciates the written word as well, for reasons that are often different from my own. I'm learning so much from y'all already and we're only two weeks in.

I'm wrapping up my Isabel D. mystery and have discovered that I didn't read the 2nd one. So now I've got that to look forward to. But I've also got Diana Wells, 'The Lives of Trees' on my list which looks very inviting, a kind dip-into now and then read or perhaps climb up into the branches would be a more fitting metaphor. There's 'Snow Country', there's Jane Hirschfield's 'The Ink Dark Moon' (for those wanting some Heian women's poetry). I'm tempted by Peace like a River but am a little concerned about how intense it actually gets.

Bolded  -  absolutely beautiful!   Have you heard about F2K's online creative writing course offered through Writers Village?  New round starting on the 15th.

And Rosie, St Augustine's Confessions awaits on my nook. ;)

Winter's Tale came to me from the library hold line up so now I have that and DQ going at the same time. It's an interesting mix. I am starting to love DQ. I didn't at first but something clicked and we are off ( on a scrawny horse).

Goal is to start reading Confessions in June.  Yes, DQ was an pleasant surprise.

Bookriot highlighted some WWI books today - interesting ones to consider for WWI anniversary read later in the year.

A favorite blogging friend and author has a book available on Kindle for free - Dreamlander.  I've read all her other books, both writing books and fiction. Well worth checking out.

Last night I finished the military romance/suspense novel Take Over at Midnight (The Night Stalkers) by M. L. Buchman.  I've read the previous books in the series, and I enjoyed this one, too.

"Name: Lola LaRue
Mission: Copilot deadly choppers on the world's most dangerous missions

Name: Tim Maloney
Mission: Man the guns and charm the ladies

The Past Doesn't Matter, When Their Future is Doomed

Nothing sticks to "Crazy" Tim Maloney, until he falls hard for a tall Creole beauty with a haunted past and a penchant for reckless flying. Lola LaRue never thought she'd be susceptible to a man's desire, but even with Tim igniting her deepest passions, it may be too late now...With the nation under an imminent threat of biological warfare, Tim and Lola are the only ones who can stop the madness--and to do that, they're going to have to trust each other way beyond their limits..."

I'd suggest that the books be read in order since relationships develop over the course of the series.

Regards,

Kareni

I'm safe here until June?

Maybe, kinda, sorta, yes.  We could also take any discussion, since it is highly religious, over to goodreads well trained mind readers group.  Because that's where the idea originated and most of those who want to read it are already part of goodreads.      

I know your tongue is firmly planted in your cheek, Rosie, but no need to hide.  There will be several of us not reading St. Augustine, and you can always smugly post how you've already been there, done that, read it and bought the t-shirt!!  And Robin, no need to hide any discussions!!

About Goodreads -- I am all signed up but it totally eludes me how to best use it.  I can't imagine having another board to keep up with!  And are my "shelves" private?  Are my comments on books automatically added to all the reviews I see when I browse books there?  Or can those stay private, too.  I like our cozy group. Even though it isn't a private discussion it feels that way!

Let's just say I will be utterly amazed if I try to read Confessions. Part of me wishes that I could motivate myself.

Please keep the discussion here not over on Goodreads. Really do want to read the comments just not participate. Maybe you will motivate me. ;)

I read Confessions 7 years ago, because my dd was going to be reading it as a part of the Veritas Omnimbus.  It was ok.  I read a lot of books that year, since I always preread what I assign.  After 2 years of reading the Ominibus books I took a break from reading.  It burned me out.  I was a bit rough on my dd as well.  It a lot of heavy reading.

Winter's Tale is killing me.  I just can't seem to get into it.  I was hoping it would be a bit like Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norrell.  I loved that book.  But I'm avoiding reading because of this book.  I may have to ditch it.  It's a library book, so it will be hard to come back to later.  

I may have to pick up a Murakami. All this Murakami talk has we wanting to read him again. I have Hard Boiled Wonderland sitting on my shelf.  I may jump to that next. 

I don't object to the religion, lol.

I know your tongue is firmly planted in your cheek, Rosie, but no need to hide.  There will be several of us not reading St. Augustine, and you can always smugly post how you've already been there, done that, read it and bought the t-shirt!!  And Robin, no need to hide any discussions!!

About Goodreads -- I am all signed up but it totally eludes me how to best use it.  I can't imagine having another board to keep up with!  And are my "shelves" private?  Are my comments on books automatically added to all the reviews I see when I browse books there?  Or can those stay private, too.  I like our cozy group. Even though it isn't a private discussion it feels that way!

I won't be reading Augustine either. I read about half of the Confessions and couldn't take any more.

I'll hide with you Rosie. We and a few others can peek out occasionally to see if it's safe. ;)

Let's just say I will be utterly amazed if I try to read Confessions. Part of me wishes that I could motivate myself.

Please keep the discussion here not over on Goodreads. Really do want to read the comments just not participate. Maybe you will motivate me. ;)

Okie dokie.  Thought it was a thing, but since it isn't a thing, won't make a thing of it.  Come to think of it I lost thing, so I have to go look for it.  Maybe it's hiding out in the kitchen with Lurch or under cousin Itt's hair.  :leaving:

I finished Cinnamon and Gunpowder a day or two ago. It was fun. An intelligent, but bouncy-light read with lots of foodie interest. I enjoyed the pirates against colonialism twist and the general lack of romance. I don't think I ever would have picked it up unless it was suggested here. The cover alone would have made me do my Harlequin eye roll. I did have an issue near the end where I thought the character changed a little more than likely, and the pirate viewpoint was a little too modern, but in general the author balanced things very well and made it fun. 

I'm working on Vampires in the Lemon Grove: Stories now. Creepy. The title story had some great human moments. I was impressed with her writing. Definitely worth an October (or before) read. 

I finished Cinnamon and Gunpowder a day or two ago. It was fun. An intelligent, but bouncy-light read with lots of foodie interest. I enjoyed the pirates against colonialism twist and the general lack of romance. I don't think I ever would have picked it up unless it was suggested here. The cover alone would have made me do my Harlequin eye roll. I did have an issue near the end where I thought the character changed a little more than likely, and the pirate viewpoint was a little too modern, but in general the author balanced things very well and made it fun. 

Hmm. I may put this on my list. Your review appeals to me.

I haven't read any of this yet, just posting so I can get in on this week! I finished The House at Riverton by Kate Morton. Loved it, just like I did with The Secret Keeper. I probably won't make it to the library this week. I decided to browse my own limited bookshelf for something to read next. I choose The Game of Thrones. I've only read it once so I think its time for a second reading! Now I will go back and read all the posts. I love seeing what everyone else is reading and my list of books to be read is growing by leaps and bounds!

Why am I not loving The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle?

:confused1:

I've reached the halfway mark & feel 'meh' about it.

I rarely read series books; if the author writes stand-alone books, I often don't read books from the same author w/in a certain timeframe (usually many years). (Side note: Maybe that is why I have enjoyed Donna Tartt's three novels. She waits 10-12 years between novels, which seems like just the right amount of time for me. :lol:  Keeps things fresh, imo.)

I read 1Q84 a year ago. Wind-Up (to me) seems like a rehash of many of the same odd/surreal elements (see the Murakami Bingo card), just mixed together a little differently. I compared 1Q84's structure to a basket being woven & I see the same thing in Wind-Up. But, I'm just not as enchanted this time, I think because I see it all so starkly. Even though it's a little bit surreal, it's still too familiar. Kwim? Kafka on the Shore was different enough from 1Q84 that I was able to read them w/in a few years of each other. But, this time, I'm not being pulled in as much as I expected to be.

To keep on or to move on to something else...???

As I've been trying to decide what to do, I started a book I saw on the link Robin posted about books to read before the movies come out this year. It's This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper. Seems like it will be a snarky, dysfunctional family yarn that will be both fun & (a little bit) touching. (Movie will star Jason Bateman.) Maybe a fluff book like this will get me over the hump....

I rarely read series books; if the author writes stand-alone books, I often don't read books from the same author w/in a certain timeframe (usually many years). (Side note: Maybe that is why I have enjoyed Donna Tartt's three novels. She waits 10-12 years between novels, which seems like just the right amount of time for me. :lol: Keeps things fresh, imo.)

I read 1Q84 a year ago. Wind-Up (to me) seems like a rehash of many of the same odd/surreal elements (see the Murakami Bingo card), just mixed together a little differently. I compared 1Q84's structure to a basket being woven & I see the same thing in Wind-Up. But, I'm just not as enchanted this time, I think because I see it all so starkly. Even though it's a little bit surreal, it's still too familiar. Kwim? Kafka on the Shore was different enough from 1Q84 that I was able to read them w/in a few years of each other. But, this time, I'm not being pulled in as much as I expected to be.

As I've been trying to decide what to do, I started a book I saw on the link Robin posted about books to read before the movies come out this year. It's This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper. Seems like it will be a snarky, dysfunctional family yarn that will be both fun & (a little bit) touching. (Movie will star Jason Bateman.) Maybe a fluff book like this will get me over the hump....

I just finished Wind Up and wish I could say I loved it. Unfortunately, I just don't get it. Upon finishing, my response was an inarticulate groan. It is just one of those books that is weird and doesn't leave you with a happy glow. Maybe for some one else, but too many disconnected things that I can't connect. And too many unanswered questions.

I finished Wind Up last night after carrying it all over the place so I wouldn't lose the flow of the last 70 or so pages. It was a poor shadow of 1Q84 if I am being honest. That being said I did enjoy it and plan to read Kafka on the Shore in April or May. Wind up was a very strange book which needs some really big leaps to tie things together. I could make a really long list of questions that I have guessed the answer to due to a word or two. I thought I would have a bit more confirmation. Then there is the cat......I really wish I understood the cat. No amount of cat mythology makes that cat make sense. I can't believe I am saying this but I think all the extra pages in 1Q84 are what this book needs.

Robin, I totally agree the end was a bit "that's it?" Which had me checking that I hadn't somehow broke my kindle and lost the last really good chapter. That really was it. Dd happened to come in my room when this ending was happening, she feels bad for me but thought it was pretty funny.

I just complained quite a bit about something I did like :lol: because it could have been so much more. I suspect 1Q84 was Murakami 's redo with the more included.

I rarely read series books; if the author writes stand-alone books, I often don't read books from the same author w/in a certain timeframe (usually many years). (Side note: Maybe that is why I have enjoyed Donna Tartt's three novels. She waits 10-12 years between novels, which seems like just the right amount of time for me. :lol:  Keeps things fresh, imo.)

I finished Wind Up last night after carrying it all over the place so I wouldn't lose the flow of the last 70 or so pages. It was a poor shadow of 1Q84 if I am being honest. That being said I did enjoy it and plan to read Kafka on the Shore in April or May. Wind up was a very strange book which needs some really big leaps to tie things together. I could make a really long list of questions that I have guessed the answer to due to a word or two. I thought I would have a bit more confirmation. Then there is the cat......I really wish I understood the cat. No amount of cat mythology makes that cat make sense. I can't believe I am saying this but I think all the extra pages in 1Q84 are what this book needs.

Robin, I totally agree the end was a bit "that's it?" Which had me checking that I hadn't somehow broke my kindle and lost the last really good chapter. That really was it. Dd happened to come in my room when this ending was happening, she feels bad for me but thought it was pretty funny.

I just complained quite a bit about something I did like :lol: because it could have been so much more. I suspect 1Q84 was Murakami 's redo with the more included.

Okay. I haven't started Wind Up Bird yet (I'm reading The Historian and looooooving it), so should I read 1Q84 in stead? As a better introduction to Murakami?

Okay. I haven't started Wind Up Bird yet (I'm reading The Historian and looooooving it), so should I read 1Q84 in stead? As a better introduction to Murakami?

Yes, I would. Although I do think if I had read Wind Up Bird first I might have liked it better. My expectations were very high so it had a long way to fall and still be adequate. :lol: The negative to 1Q84 is it truly is chunky, twice the length, but things felt basically resolved at the end. Although I remember closing that book and wishing for the next installment because there was a whole new story all set up and ready to be written.

Really glad to hear that you are loving The Historian. I couldn't believe how many new layers I found the second time through. I love that book.

Really glad to hear that you are loving The Historian. I couldn't believe how many new layers I found the second time through. I love that book.

This is on my list to finish in 2014. I started it in October, was loving it at first, then it really slowed down. I was pushing through and finally just put it aside. I do want to finish it though, and am hoping I can pick it back up with a new attitude this year.

Went to my library's book sale and got:

Love in the Time of Cholera

Now and Forever, Somewhere a Band is Playing, and Leviathan '99 (these are Ray Bradbury novellas)

The Borgia Bride

Whiteout

One Small Square Arctic Tundra

Mrs. Dalloway

I finished Scammed by Statistics this morning. I'm going to add this to my eldest's reading list.

I, too, have struggled with sustaining both concentration and interest wrt books. I have to say that's improved considerably with the kindle. But even generally, yes I know a bit about that ;)

I remember reading The Alexandria Quartet and *loving* it, particularly Justine. I see you've got a version of the Ramayana on your list. Have you read William Buck's version? It is excellent, as is his Mahabharata.

I'm trying to only come onto the forum once a week, so here I am posting on last week's thread. I actually bought William Buck's version of the Ramayana first, not least because it was about half the length of Menon's version. I found it a little disjointed and difficult to follow, and ended up doing more research and coming to the conclusion that Menon's version (translation?) would be a better, and perhaps more "authentic" choice. I immediately found it more accessible, and didn't have any trouble following the flow of action and characters, as I had with the early chapters of Buck. It would be interesting to go back and read the Buck version now, and see whether my intial impression holds. It helped having Menon's version on the Kindle, as liberally highlighting passages as I read helped me focus.