Menu

Bummer ... Amtrak sold out. Prayers please. Update post #16

dirty ethel rackham

We will have heavy snow for the next 15 hours, right when ds has to go back to school ... and, of course, there is lake effect snow expected all along their route.  So, we looked at him taking Amtrak.  They are sold out.  I guess dh has to drive him back as all of his other ride options had to go back early for RA training.  Please pray that they all arrive safely and that dh makes it home safely.  Even though dh is a safe, cautious driver, I always cringe when he takes ds back to school because he had a serious car accident (someone else lost control of his car and hit dh)  when he took ds there for a college visit a couple of years ago. 

Thanks, Everyone. 

The RA training was before the bad weather.  All those affected are already back.  Since my son isn't an RA, he just goes back at the regular time to check back into the dorms.  Classes start on Tuesday and he needs to get books and supplies.  As much as we love my son's school, they don't publish the required books for each course so most students are stuck buying them from the bookstore. 

I feel for you. 

:grouphug:

My son came home for winter break 3 weeks ago. Classes start back up on Monday.  He had an 11:30am flight today that should have landed at 1:30pm, but email this morning said his flight was delayed 1/2 hour.  It is a 2 hour ride to the airport.  I dropped him off at 10:30am.  He still hasn't gotten used to using a cell phone, and left it in his dorm room when he came home, so I had no way to communicate with him unless he had wifi and his computer turned on.  I did some shopping and didn't get home until 5pm, when I found out that there were 7 more 'delayed flight' emails.  According to a FB post and the airline's website he still hadn't boarded the plane at 6:30pm.  I spent an hour on the phone until I got a live airline person to tell me his flight had taken off at 7pm (their website wasn't updating for some reason). He landed at 8:17 and had to wait for a subway train and then hike 1/2 hour from the subway stop to the dorm.  With his two bags.  In the dark.  In downtown Philly.  

It didn't seem like a bad idea when he was doing the hike in daylight. 

Needless to say, I sat on the edge of my seat until I finally reached him in his dorm room at 9:15.  Ugh.

He's going to take Amtrak next time.  The train is closer to his dorm than the subway to the airport.

I'm sorry, I'll be praying for a safe trip!  Are there any buses?  Otherwise, I would think the school would be lenient if he were a day late.

We have similar circumstances here tomorrow.  My daughter is coming home tomorrow.  The bus she usually takes is full (due to weather conditions and people not wanting to drive).  We finally found a shuttle that will take her to a hotel 45 minutes away.  I'll still need to drive there to pick her up, but the temps are supposed to be -50 with wind chill, and are already icy.  At least I can take comfort in that if I can't get to her, she can stay overnight at the hotel!

Thanks for your prayers and good thoughts.  After shoveling this morning, we came to the conclusion that driving in this is insane.  He was able to get an Amtrak ticket for Monday night.  Although classes start on Tuesday, his schedule has Tuesdays free it shouldn't be too bad.  In good weather, the Amtrak station is a walkable distance.  In near zero temps, not so much.  He is asking some of his friends with cars to pick him up at the station so he doesn't have to trek it (with all of his clothes and stuff he took home for Christmas break.)

I feel for you. 

:grouphug:

My son came home for winter break 3 weeks ago. Classes start back up on Monday.  He had an 11:30am flight today that should have landed at 1:30pm, but email this morning said his flight was delayed 1/2 hour.  It is a 2 hour ride to the airport.  I dropped him off at 10:30am.  He still hasn't gotten used to using a cell phone, and left it in his dorm room when he came home, so I had no way to communicate with him unless he had wifi and his computer turned on.  I did some shopping and didn't get home until 5pm, when I found out that there were 7 more 'delayed flight' emails.  According to a FB post and the airline's website he still hadn't boarded the plane at 6:30pm.  I spent an hour on the phone until I got a live airline person to tell me his flight had taken off at 7pm (their website wasn't updating for some reason). He landed at 8:17 and had to wait for a subway train and then hike 1/2 hour from the subway stop to the dorm.  With his two bags.  In the dark.  In downtown Philly.  

It didn't seem like a bad idea when he was doing the hike in daylight. 

Needless to say, I sat on the edge of my seat until I finally reached him in his dorm room at 9:15.  Ugh.

He's going to take Amtrak next time.  The train is closer to his dorm than the subway to the airport.

Oh, Amy.  How stressful.  Glad to hear he is back safe and sound.  Amtrak can be a nice way to travel if they don't have to go too far.  My son's trip is 3 hours by car or by train.