Menu

Your favorite thing to do with leftover ham

Dynamite5

So, I've got a good amount of spiral sliced ham leftover.  I'm a vegetarian, so nothing sounds good to me, but I want to make something yummy the kids will eat.  They are officially tired of sandwiches, which means I'm looking for a tried and true recipe.  Usually I would make ham and potato soup, but thought I would ask here first in case someone has a better idea.

Ham and potato soup--yum :D I've spent a lot of time on this exact question because I usually end up with the leftovers after any family holiday meal! I haven't found any recipes that will let me use a lot of ham in one go, so I usually spend some time cubing the ham, then I freeze it. It's the only way I don't end up wasting it. I make Hopping John (a traditional New Year's Day dish, though we're not from that area of the country--it's just a great meal), and I recently made a delicious ham and bean soup. Oh, and you could use cubed ham in pretty much any breakfast casserole recipe too.

Ham and bean soup (I haven't used a ham hock in this, instead I boiled the bone with the meat on it and used that broth): http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Basic-Ham-and-Bean-Soup/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page

Potato cheddar soup (uses cubed ham): http://allrecipes.com/recipe/potato-and-cheddar-soup/detail.aspx

Hopping John (there are a million recipes out there, I just happen to like this one): http://www.food.com/recipe/new-years-hopping-john-49050

I always find that a little ham goes a long way. It's good in small amounts in all of the things people have mentioned, but it takes a lot of those recipes to use up leftovers from a big ham. So I chop it up and freeze in smaller quantities to pull out over the coming weeks and months.

We either put it in omelets, or cut it into strips and pre-make breakfast burritos.  We wrap them up and freeze them, then all they have to do is heat them up at breakfast time.

I am planning to put mine in the crockpot with some dry beans and make up a lot of bean soup.  I will freeze some of it.

Sometimes I slice it up and add a little honey or brown sugar in a baking dish and bake it until it is heated through.

Omelets, breakfast burritos, mac & cheese are also great uses for a little here or there.  I also love hot ham and cheese sandwiches or grilled ham with cheese sandwiches which are a bit of a switch from a cold sandwich.

Ham and bean, with the ham bone, of course.  We didn't have a ham this year, but I've often made a New Year's soup from the ham remnants with black eyed peas and collards.

If not that, then I do ham and cheese scones.  Yum.

I've never heard of ham and cheese scones.  Maybe I'll look up a recipe...Thanks!

We've already done fettucine alfredo with ham, mushrooms, and peas. Ham fried rice is good too.

OOOOhhhhhh---I love fried rice, so I would never "ruin" it (since I'm a vegetarian) for me by putting ham in it.  But I think the kids and dh would appreciate fettucine alfredo, which I do not like.  That's a real possibility.

I always find that a little ham goes a long way. It's good in small amounts in all of the things people have mentioned, but it takes a lot of those recipes to use up leftovers from a big ham. So I chop it up and freeze in smaller quantities to pull out over the coming weeks and months.

Yes, that's what I did with it this morning.  I've got 3 small/medium sized bags in the freezer.  But I know I'll need ideas to use it up, as I just don't generally think much about meat.  

The scalloped potatoes with ham or mac and cheese with ham added are both possibilities for later--right now, I think they are a little cheesed out.  

Love all the ideas--thanks everyone!

I buy a couple large hams this time of year to last us. I put slices in baggies in the freezer for sandwiches (enough to last us a couple of days per baggie), then cut some of it up in a small dice to use in recipes, packaged in about a cup per baggie. I either make bean or lentil  and ham soup with the bone, then freeze it in portions for my husband to grab to take for lunch, or wrap up the bone and freeze it to make soup later. That way we don't get tired to death of eating ham for days on end.

I do the same with turkey at Thanksgiving, buying a couple of 20+ lb turkeys when they are the cheapest.

We had ham Christmas Eve. On Christmas day, I made a ham stromboli that even my picky eater liked. Easy--roll out pizza dough into an 8"x15" rectangle, spread slices of ham over it, top with some grated mozzarella (I used about 4 oz), then roll up from the long side. Brush with beaten egg and make 5 shallow diagonal slices on top, then bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned. Slice into 1" pieces.