Menu

Athiest Seeking Classical Education for Kids

I am currently homeschooling my 5th grade daughter. She was being taught by a teacher of the social reconstruction philosophy, ie. anti-knowledge, anti-westerb etc. This is actually, a fairly common type of teacher in our current public schools.

I am a licensed teacher, and I don't want to continue homeschooling. The problem is, the schools get even more indoctrinating and anti-knowledge as they go up here in Oregon. There is no option for us here.

My impression of the current model of Classical education is a place where Christians can set up charter schools to get public $ and teach thinly-veiled Christianity under the guises of "virtue" and "morals." (This is certainlly the case in my neck of the woods).

It isn't a problem for me: I like the idea of people getting to choose a publicly-funded school that reflects their beliefs.

BUT, I am an athiest, and I want a Classical eduation for my kids. Where are all of the Classical schools that have NO Christian influence? I don't want different "theories" of evolution taught. I also don't resonate with the Dorothy Sayers model of stages. I like the prep schools in New England but can't afford them and don't want to move there.

I am wiling to relocate, so please help us find a school that fits our philosophy! I am exhausted searching, but I hold out hope that there is a great school somewhere. A university town would be ideal. Are there any Classical schools in the South that aren't Christian influenced? I am pretty sure there are none in the Northwest.

Thanks!

Hi Bertrand. Just to make sure I understand, you're saying you would like to move from Oregon to the deep south in order to find a group of people who are less influenced by Christianity? Hmm. I'm thinking you'd be happier in the pacific northwest.

But I did find this school, which you may find interesting, as it shares its name with your birthplace. :) It's in North Carolina.

http://www.ravenscroft.org/

NC sounds perfect! I love black gospel music and southern culture. I went to New Orleans for the first time recently and love it. Yes, Eugene, OR is probably the least church-going place you can find, so it sounds weird that an athiest would want to move to a more religious part of the country. There is plenty of new-age mysticism here. It probably doesn't show up in the chruch-going statistics because it is more individual. I will check out the NC school. Thanks!!

I'm not sure I totally understand your concerns.  Classical education  has nothing to do with charter schools, though there are some classical charter schools of course.  All you have to do is to look for high quality secular curricula.  Most college prep schools have good teachers and materials.  Many, esp. on the east coast, teach Latin in the schools.  (I just lost a very good Latin tutor when she moved to VA to teach in the public schools there).  They aren't anti-knowledge and have a good grasp of history and science and literature.  

There are some threads about Oregon schools too; here's one

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/225494-classical-schools-in-pdx-eugene-or-albany-any-hints-or-other-rigorous-schools/

I'm not entirely sure that a homeschooling board is the best place to find information on schools, but the members on here are a pretty amazing bunch. Good luck with your hunt.

Hi Bertrand. Just to make sure I understand, you're saying you would like to move from Oregon to the deep south in order to find a group of people who are less influenced by Christianity? Hmm. I'm thinking you'd be happier in the pacific northwest.

But I did find this school, which you may find interesting, as it shares its name with your birthplace. :) It's in North Carolina.

http://www.ravenscroft.org/

I agree. I've lived in NC, KY, all over the NE/MW. The south is not where you need to go if you're looking for secular. Christianity is entirely pervasive in the culture there. You might get lucky and find one or two, but a public charter is likely the closest you'll find to truly secular without any religion (presumably-in the south I have found that doesn't apply).

There are some threads about Oregon schools too; here's one

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/225494-classical-schools-in-pdx-eugene-or-albany-any-hints-or-other-rigorous-schools/

I'm not entirely sure that a homeschooling board is the best place to find information on schools, but the members on here are a pretty amazing bunch. Good luck with your hunt.

You are right Stripe. I feel like a demographic that is almost non-existent, so I have to cast a wide net. There are college prep schools like Oregon Episcopal in Portland where I used to live, but the tuition is 25k. Also, it has little Classical emphasis. Most college prep. schools will be rigorous (which puts them way above public schools), but they will also often have a Progressive curricula. The emphasis will be on the STEM subjects or in Oregon, outdoor literature and other curriculum materials that are contemporary and popular. I want a humanities education for my kids built around European history, rhetoric, logic, languages and literature. Also most college prep. schools teach Mandarin. I can't find German, which my homeschooled 5th grader is being tutored in,  being taught anywhere.

I can't find German, which my homeschooled 5th grader is being tutored in,  being taught anywhere.

Maybe the Portland public schools deserve a second look?

Bucking the trend [of eliminating German language classes] is Portland Public Schools. Although Wilson High has lost students, the schools who still offer it --Lincoln, Madison and Cleveland have seen numbers rise.

In contrast, the German American School of Portland is thriving, with more than 90 percent of students completing the program through fifth grade, according to principal Blake Peters.  

The German-language immersion school is one of seven in North Americaaccredited by the German federal government. Based in Beaverton, the school also offers German language classes for adults.

http://www.oregonlive.com/tigard/index.ssf/2012/03/as_german_language_programs_di.html

Maybe the Portland public schools deserve a second look?

Bucking the trend [of eliminating German language classes] is Portland Public Schools. Although Wilson High has lost students, the schools who still offer it --Lincoln, Madison and Cleveland have seen numbers rise.

In contrast, the German American School of Portland is thriving, with more than 90 percent of students completing the program through fifth grade, according to principal Blake Peters.  

The German-language immersion school is one of seven in North Americaaccredited by the German federal government. Based in Beaverton, the school also offers German language classes for adults.

http://www.oregonlive.com/tigard/index.ssf/2012/03/as_german_language_programs_di.html

Thanks for diggin this stuff up for me Stripe! I went to Lincoln for a bit many years ago. I have lost all faith in public schools. The way they are structured, in my view, there is zero possibility that a public school can be good. There are always a few good teachers and a few good classes offered, but as institutions they are hopeless. It is sad.

I think I get what you're saying... You're looking for a traditional classical, Western Civilization education, which no, you won't get in most public schools, you need it to be secular and you don't want to homeschool.

I'd love to find the same thing. Not sure there's much of it out there, no matter where you live. I would even consider a curriculum from the Christian tradition but our only options in my area are evangelical Christian schools, who lean more toward Abeka and Bob Jones rather than classical.

Would you consider an online school option where you aren't directly teaching? Or are you looking for a physical, brick and mortar school?

Yes, i took german in public high school in PA - we had a great gifted program, but not classical, i dont think.  The quaker schools might have scholarships though.  I really really loved the quaker school - better academics and a lovely campus and non-violent values 

I prefer a school. Even though my daughter and I are having a great homeschooling experience this year, I don't want to continue it. I think being in a classroom with other students had a lot of advantages. She is very social and outgoing. Homeschooling wasn't our plan; I just couldn't take another "lost year" in a public school. This is also THE top public elementary school in our town with the highest test scores. The test scores are a reflection of the socio-economic status blah, blah, you have all heard this story before.

There are  few charter schools call BASIS across several states http://basisschools.org/

It is for 5th-12th. 

I have been perusing the BASIS San Antonio site. It's weird; There isn't one picture of a student on the whole website. It claims to have half the space per student of a traditional classroom. I think it might be pretty new, but the website is probably the worst website I have ever seen for a school.

Not sure what to think of it really...but thanks for bringing it to my attention. At least it is rigorous and holds students accountable, which the public schools passed on decades agon.

There's German and an International Baccalaureate curriculum at the Goethe Institut Charter School in Los Angeles. 

http://www.goethecharterschool.org/

Thanks for that. I have talked with the Goethe School in Marina Del Ray. It is fairly new, but seems like a pretty good school. It'd be tough to move back to LA though.  I am not as interested in German immersion as I am Classical, which is one reason I came to this site.

Are you familiar with Challenger schools? They are in several states, are secular and are very rigorous academically (and have a classical bent). I don't think that they offer German or Latin, though.

My good friend has her kids in a Challenger school.  They use IEW, they teach Latin, use Saxon math, and read the classics. It is rigorous and expensive. They are in the California bay area.

BUT, I am an athiest, and I want a Classical eduation for my kids. ...I don't want different "theories" of evolution taught. I also don't resonate with the Dorothy Sayers model of stages. I like the prep schools in New England but can't afford them and don't want to move there.

...There are college prep schools like Oregon Episcopal in Portland where I used to live, but the tuition is 25k. Also, it has little Classical emphasis. Most college prep. schools will be rigorous (which puts them way above public schools), but they will also often have a Progressive curricula. The emphasis will be on the STEM subjects or in Oregon, outdoor literature and other curriculum materials that are contemporary and popular. I want a humanities education for my kids built around European history, rhetoric, logic, languages and literature. Also most college prep. schools teach Mandarin. I can't find German, which my homeschooled 5th grader is being tutored in,  being taught anywhere.

So you want a full-time school with a rigorous secular curriculum, including the classical/humanities, taught by excellent, experienced teachers who use quality curricula and know their subject well.  

BUT - you don't want to pay the $25K per year that these schools typically cost.  You haven't mentioned whether you would qualify for need-based aid.

You clearly value a quality education for your children, as do most of the posters here.  I understand that if the money isn't there, it isn't there.  But at the same time, I don't expect excellent, experienced teachers to do their job at a discount.  Quality curricula and facilities don't come cheap either.  Most families who put their children into private school make considerable financial/lifestyle sacrifices to afford the tuition.  Since you are a teacher, I'm surprised you seem to expect your kid(s?) can get an excellent private education, provided by others, on the cheap.

How realistic do you think this quest is?  What compromises, either in the choice of school or in affording the tuition, are you willing to make to achieve it?  What tuition price is realistically within your reach?

How realistic do you think this quest is?  

Given what we have been told about this member -- an atheist who loves gospel music, and someone who is contemplating moving from Oregon to the deep south in order to find a less Christian-influenced school -- and therefore difficult quests involving contradictory desires may be par for the course!

Maybe a charter school is the solution?

So you want a full-time school with a rigorous secular curriculum, including the classical/humanities, taught by excellent, experienced teachers who use quality curricula and know their subject well.  

BUT - you don't want to pay the $25K per year that these schools typically cost.  You haven't mentioned whether you would qualify for need-based aid.

You clearly value a quality education for your children, as do most of the posters here.  I understand that if the money isn't there, it isn't there.  But at the same time, I don't expect excellent, experienced teachers to do their job at a discount.  Quality curricula and facilities don't come cheap either.  Most families who put their children into private school make considerable financial/lifestyle sacrifices to afford the tuition.  Since you are a teacher, I'm surprised you seem to expect your kid(s?) can get an excellent private education, provided by others, on the cheap.

How realistic do you think this quest is?  What compromises, either in the choice of school or in affording the tuition, are you willing to make to achieve it?  What tuition price is realistically within your reach?

Justaque, experienced, quality teachers who teach at private schools do do their jobs at a discount. Public school teachers make considerably more, at least in Oregon. We can afford 15-20k a year maybe, but many private schools advertised as college preperatory charge 30k per year. I have realized that my quest is not that realistic; this is just part of the process of finding out how unrealistic, I guess.

I am looking into the French International school in Portland; there is a middle school as well called Gilkey International. They are about 1/2 the price of the college prep schools in Portland. Thanks for you input!

Given what we have been told about this member -- an atheist who loves gospel music, and someone who is contemplating moving from Oregon to the deep south in order to find a less Christian-influenced school -- and therefore difficult quests involving contradictory desires may be par for the course!

Maybe a charter school is the solution?

Stripe, I don't think my desires are contradictory. I like black gospel music because of the the great vocals and the incredible talent on display, not the spiritual message. If anyone reading this lives in the Carolinas you have it made for gospel music!!

I tried to start a charter school in Eugene, but when I put the word out about a charter school for the humanities, I couldn't find anyone who even knew what I meant by "humanities."

It has been confusing to me why the only group carrying the torch for a Classical education is the Christian community. For starters, ancient Greece wasn't even Christian, nor was Rome for the first 300 years. The most fundamental tenents of Classical education seem to me to be antithetical to any religious faith. That is just an observation, not a judgment. The teachings are there for anyone to use. I realize that the Benedictine Monks and other Catholics were responsible for preserving and copying many of the Classical works.

I think the reason I appear unrealistic is because of the great polarization that has happened in the last 20 years in this country. Conservatives since Allen Bloom and William Bennett in the 80's have promoted the benefits of a Classical education and liberals pretty much define themselves in opposition to conservatives. So, if conservatives say its good it muuuuust be horrible! I considered myself a progressive until I learned how the democrats have destroyed public education. Now I won't affiliage with any political party out of principle. Sorry to drift off topic, but your original assesment stands: it's naive to expect there to be a school that fits my description. Thanks for the reply!

Have you considered seeking out a Core Knowledge school?

Dragons, I am well acquainted with Core Knowledge. There is only on Core Knowledge school in Eugene, and when I investigated, it was clear they weren't really following the curriculum very closely.

ED Hirsch was a big influence on me. I went through a graduate education program and was appalled at what I was being taught. It was especially bad becuase Eugene is ground zero for 60's reactionary, flaky, lazy philosophy.

If anyone wants to know what is wrong with our public schools read Hirsch's "The Schools We Need and Why We Don't Have Them." It traces the current broken system back to Rousseau, deconstruction and elsewhere.

His actual curriculum seems a little fact heavy and dry. Still, it is an enormous step in the right direction. Thanks for the reply!

It has been confusing to me why the only group carrying the torch for a Classical education is the Christian community. 

I don't think the *only* people who show an interest in Classical education are Christians or members of the evangelical protestant or conservative Christian community, e.g. http://www.kinzaacademy.com/ , run by Muslims including Nabila Hanson and her brother Hamza Yusuf, and whose advisory board includes John Taylor Gatto, who is not, as far as I know, affiliated with the conservative Christian community.

Justaque, experienced, quality teachers who teach at private schools do do their jobs at a discount. Public school teachers make considerably more, at least in Oregon. We can afford 15-20k a year maybe, but many private schools advertised as college preperatory charge 30k per year. I have realized that my quest is not that realistic; this is just part of the process of finding out how unrealistic, I guess.

... I realize that the Benedictine Monks and other Catholics were responsible for preserving and copying many of the Classical works....

IN that case, If your budget is in the 15-20K range, you may find that with a bit of need-based aid, you actually *can* afford a college-prep school.  And you might want to consider private, non-archdiocese college-prep Catholic schools.  There will be no issues with evolution, and you're likely to get your Latin and other classical subjects.  Your student will have to take religion, but won't be the only non-Catholic in the class, and a good education in Christianity and the Bible is useful in terms of cultural literacy, especially for a student headed for the humanities.  As an example, Archmere Academy in Delaware (Joe Biden is an alum) offers German.  The price is a wee bit out of your range, but they do offer need-based aid.

I tried to start a charter school in Eugene, but when I put the word out about a charter school for the humanities, I couldn't find anyone who even knew what I meant by "humanities."

It has been confusing to me why the only group carrying the torch for a Classical education is the Christian community. ...

If you are interested in starting a charter school, maybe you need to try again, with a much wider net and more patience. I have not heard of any such attempt to start such a school, and am in the general area of which you speak--and also do know what is meant, generally speaking, by "humanities". 

I think one problem you would have would be finding extra people beyond what there are for the ACE (Classical academy) charter school, which already does exist in this area. It may be true that it is a classical school that is particularly friendly to the Christian community, but there may not be enough people interested in classical education for a whole other Classical education school--and how would you bill that as a charter school anyway such as to exclude Christians if that would be the aim?  Maybe if your family and others who are atheist, secular etc., joined the existing Classical charter, and became active in it, perhaps with classes in evolution and logic, it would not continue to seem to you (or others perhaps) like a school for the "Christian community."

Have you considered doing German outside the school structure? Oklahoma State University has a German Online program. Or there are online classes through Goethe Institute. Or you could check the Advanced Placement Course Ledger for schools with Advanced Placement German and assume they also offer the lower level courses.

A friend of mine went to Boston Latin School and it sounds up your alley. He loved it. It's public, rigorous, has German, and is a feeder school for Harvard.

However they start in 7th grade so you'd have a gap. Plus there's an exam for admission so you'd be taking a risk moving cross-country. But I thought I'd try to help so there it is.

Stripe, I don't think my desires are contradictory. I like black gospel music because of the the great vocals and the incredible talent on display, not the spiritual message. If anyone reading this lives in the Carolinas you have it made for gospel music!!

It has been confusing to me why the only group carrying the torch for a Classical education is the Christian community. For starters, ancient Greece wasn't even Christian, nor was Rome for the first 300 years. The most fundamental tenents of Classical education seem to me to be antithetical to any religious faith. That is just an observation, not a judgment. The teachings are there for anyone to use. I realize that the Benedictine Monks and other Catholics were responsible for preserving and copying many of the Classical works.

I think the reason I appear unrealistic is because of the great polarization that has happened in the last 20 years in this country. Conservatives since Allen Bloom and William Bennett in the 80's have promoted the benefits of a Classical education and liberals pretty much define themselves in opposition to conservatives. So, if conservatives say its good it muuuuust be horrible! I considered myself a progressive until I learned how the democrats have destroyed public education. Now I won't affiliage with any political party out of principle. Sorry to drift off topic, but your original assesment stands: it's naive to expect there to be a school that fits my description. Thanks for the reply!

As someone who lived in the Carolinas, I disagree. And you might want to watch the offensive political slant of your writing on here. You'll find many of us are part of that vast liberal conspiracy. Honestly, your posts are very contradictory, so it's hard to tell if you're being serious or just exceptionally optimistic.

Guest inoubliable

As someone who lived in the Carolinas, I disagree. And you might want to watch the offensive political slant of your writing on here. You'll find many of us are part of that vast liberal conspiracy. Honestly, your posts are very contradictory, so it's hard to tell if you're being serious or just exceptionally optimistic.

The posts sound absolutely absurd, imo. Contradictory, inflammatory, and bizarre. An atheist looking for a B&M school - on a homeschooling board. Mkay. Wanting to move to the deep south to find secular options? LOL. Mkay. The political cray-cray - wow. 

IN that case, If your budget is in the 15-20K range, you may find that with a bit of need-based aid, you actually *can* afford a college-prep school.  And you might want to consider private, non-archdiocese college-prep Catholic schools.  There will be no issues with evolution, and you're likely to get your Latin and other classical subjects.  Your student will have to take religion, but won't be the only non-Catholic in the class, and a good education in Christianity and the Bible is useful in terms of cultural literacy, especially for a student headed for the humanities.  As an example, Archmere Academy in Delaware (Joe Biden is an alum) offers German.  The price is a wee bit out of your range, but they do offer need-based aid.

Justasque, I went to a Jesuit HS, and I have subbed in the local Catholic schools. One thing that I noticed that has changed: I noticed religion is much more a part of the curriculum now. When I went, we just had one religion class, but now they work religion into many of the subjects in subtle ways (science and math pretty much excepted). The schools really are the great recruitment tool for the church that has seen its numbers diminishing for a long time in the States. The church subsidizes the tuition, so the schools are incredibly affordable. I would definitely consider a Catholic school, but the ones here don't impress me academically.

Religion should definitely be taught as history! Thanks for the valuable input! I'm going to check out the Academy in Delaware. That is one that I am not aware of.

A friend of mine went to Boston Latin School and it sounds up your alley. He loved it. It's public, rigorous, has German, and is a feeder school for Harvard.

However they start in 7th grade so you'd have a gap. Plus there's an exam for admission so you'd be taking a risk moving cross-country. But I thought I'd try to help so there it is.

Idnip, the Boston Latin School has been kind of my dream school. Why aren't there schools like it around the rest of the country? It's public and free! Unfortunately, my wife won't go the NE.

Justasque, I went to a Jesuit HS, and I have subbed in the local Catholic schools. One thing that I noticed that has changed: I noticed religion is much more a part of the curriculum now. When I went, we just had one religion class, but now they work religion into many of the subjects in subtle ways (science and math pretty much excepted). The schools really are the great recruitment tool for the church that has seen its numbers diminishing for a long time in the States. The church subsidizes the tuition, so the schools are incredibly affordable. I would definitely consider a Catholic school, but the ones here don't impress me academically.

Religion should definitely be taught as history! Thanks for the valuable input! I'm going to check out the Academy in Delaware. That is one that I am not aware of.

There is a difference between a Catholic high school run by the archdiocese as part of the parochial school system, and a private Catholic college-prep high school.  I am suggesting the latter.

This school is about an hour away from me and I think it looks wonderful. It is Thomas Jefferson education as opposed to strictly classical, but AFAIK it is not religious and sounds like what you are looking for. We don't want to put our kids in a school, but if we did, I would consider this. This area is very conservative and very Christian. Culturally it is midwestern, not southern, but it has southern/southwest influence as well.

This school is about an hour away from me and I think it looks wonderful. It is Thomas Jefferson education as opposed to strictly classical, but AFAIK it is not religious and sounds like what you are looking for. We don't want to put our kids in a school, but if we did, I would consider this. This area is very conservative and very Christian. Culturally it is midwestern, not souther, but it has southern/southwest influence as well.

Thanks Debbie! Interesting school and interesting part of the country. Will investigate further.

I want to thank all of the Well-Trained Mind posters for chiming in on my post, including the ones who told me I am crazy. I think that has been the problem in my/our search for a new school. My concept of a school is indeed quite contradictory. Whatever we settle on, I will be homeschooling in some capacity for the next 10 years at least!

It sounds strange, but maybe the Association of Classical Christian Schools would help you out? Surely they know of many non-Christian classical schools.

One of your problems is going to be that almost any private school that isn't Christian is ultra expensive. Christian schools often have a financial advantage in that they often are associated with or at least meet in a church (which, even if it charges rent, probably doesn't charge as much).

I live in AZ where we have a lot of charter schools. I would consider one if I wasn't homeschooling fd.  I know many parents who were unhappy in regular public school who love their classical or other kinds of charter schools. I'm not sure what affect, if any, Common Core will have, though.

Also - just as an aside - I've lived in the south, midwest, east, southwest and NoCal. I've not lived in New Orleans, but I know it has a culture all its own. Not typical southern, imho. NC is nice, though. You might have a surprise adjustment in SC or any part of the deep south or even the border states. I'm not saying the people there are bad -- not at all - but as a midwesterner, I found it the culture a bit difficult at first. People were always oh-so-nice but really breaking in was more difficult than elsewhere. Every place I've lived in had its ups and downs though. 

Great Hearts schools are classical and range from elementary to high school with many campuses in Arizona.  I've had my son on waiting lists since K.  They are opening a new campus again next year and am hoping for a spot when the lottery comes around next month.  http://www.greatheartsaz.org/index.php

Heather, the Great Hearts schools look great! AZ has a healthy charter school movement. Oregon is a hard place to get a charter school started. The progressives are anti-charter school, and it is a pretty progressive state, so it just ain't gonna change anytime soon.

You would think with intransigent unions and class sizes well over 30 plus increasing number of furlough days (teachers aren't getting their usual raises, so they cancel school and the teachers get paid anyway) there would be urgency to fix the problems, but nope!

If you did start a charter school in the Lane County area, ideally, how would you like it to be? For example: Grades what through what? Classes in what? 5 days a week on campus and if so what hours? or less and part done at home, and if so what and how? or flexible options? Other aspects that you would consider important? Physical facilities? Bussing to/from outlying areas? Groups and activities? ______ ? Have you talked to people who have successfully gotten charters going such as Village School, Ridgeline Montessori  the ACE classical academy, Willamette Leadership Academy, Fossil, Homesource or Network school to get ideas of how to go about making it work in this area? To me it seems like there are actually quite a few charters for the population size, especially given that there are also the special public school programs  in 4J district, like Family School, the 3 language immersion program schools and so on. And I believe that I heard a new charter is being worked on that would combine arts and STEM as a focus--an odd combo, but that is what it seemed to take to meet needs/wants of enough people to make one work is what I heard.

As a current homeschooler in the area have you been involved with area homeschool groups? If so, have you tried to start anything towards this within that context and if so with what result? I am trying to get more involved with one, and would love to see at least German as part of the offerings--or perhaps some sort of language tables gatherings for practice.

I can vaguely imagine something maybe twice per month at the big public library, maybe on Saturdays or a time that would be afterschool for most students, so it could get more than just homeschoolers that would have various tables set up for different languages, including maybe Latin and Greek if one wanted to be more classical... it might take a while to catch on...or maybe it wouldn't. But they sometimes have things like that at colleges or for adults to practice languages.

What about Gutenberg College which already exists in the area: might they be interested in extending their Great Books/humanities type college program (as I understand it, no personal knowledge about it, but once met a student who went there) down to high school or middle school? Either full time or as enrichment classes?