Menu

Paul Walker has passed away

extendedforecast

I'm sad. I really liked him. One of my DH's favorites are the Fast and Furious series (he's a car guy).

I posted this thread as a sort of memorial. It has since derailed into one where posters are bashing the victims of this horrible accident. In an effort to get this thread back on track, another thread has been started (sorry I don't know who to credit for that thread) discussing the dangers of street racing.

Heartbroken.  He was at the top of my imaginary boyfriends list. :crying:

Mine, too.  And really, 40 is just way too young.

Did you see a picture of the wreckage?  It's disturbing, so I won't post it directly, but here's the link.  I cannot believe there were actual human beings in this car.  It's really startling to look at, I think.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/paul-walker-dies-crash-report-article-1.1533786

That photo.... Oh my word. How does a car end up like that?? I wonder what happened?

How odd!  I just clicked the link again, and the photo I was actually referring to is no longer on the page.  I confirmed because I'd actually saved it to my desktop to post here before I decided against it.  You can obviously still see others there, but the one I was referring to was a full shot of the car, fairly close up.  

Certainly excessive speed was involved, wouldn't you think?  Awful.

What is also sad is that nobody is recognizing the driver of the car who also passed away. All because he wasn't "famous". Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

I agree with that and also showing the photo of the car. As somebody that lost her child in a car accident, I wish it were illegal to share those photos. I am a lucky one in that I have never seen the photos. Just horrible descriptions. I would not want to see that over and over and think that somebody I loved was in the car. It is a shame that speed and stupidity took two more lives.

What is also sad is that nobody is recognizing the driver of the car who also passed away. All because he wasn't "famous". Thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

The NY Daily article linked above identified him as Roger Rodas, a profession race car driver. It also said his 8-year-old son saw the crash and jumped a fence to try to go save his dad. :'(

The NY Daily article linked above identified him as Roger Rodas, a profession race car driver. It also said his 8-year-old son saw the crash and jumped a fence to try to go save his dad. :'(

Oh, I wish I hadn't read this. That breaks my heart.

I can't even take it. I spent the better part of my teen years in love with him and the picture (from Bop, of course) I had hanging on my wall. :sad:

Oh, Bop!

I had a crush on him too...as all girls my age did at the time!

So sorry to hear this. Prayers to both families involved.

Horrible.

The accident happened just a few miles from my house. The driver owned a company that had something to do with car racing and he was listed as a race car driver on the company website.

I just wanted to say we live really close to each other if you are in that area. It's just so sad!

So sad young men died too young. It was an accident, of course, but they were obviously going at a high rate of speed--that was not an accident. I seriously hope they do not find drugs or alcohol was involved.

I tend to agree with Bill just a bit...these actors made money off glorifying speed and street racing. What's sobering to my sons who love these movies is that in real life too often street racing kills. Maybe this news will save someone else's life...

Street racing isn't cool. The whole Too Fast, Too Furious franchise sucks.

Bill

While it's true that street racing is very dangerous, it's still a terrible tragedy that those two men lost their lives so horrifically. As I understand it, the driver's 8 year-old son witnessed the crash and tried to go and save his father from the fire. :(

Also, there is no evidence that there was any racing involved at all. Yes, it seems excessive speed was a factor, but the driver was a professional race car driver, presumably more capable of handling a high-performance vehicle than the average Joe.

This was an accident.  The blame game has no place here.

You're right- he made sucky movies, so really, no one should be sad that two men lost their lives.

Get over yourself, Bill.

These guys were grossly exceeding the speed limits. They could have killed innocent people. Instead their stupidity shattered their families forever

If you can't see that, I don't know what to say.

Bill

Also, there is no evidence that there was any racing involved at all. Yes, it seems excessive speed was a factor, but the driver was a professional race car driver, presumably more capable of handling a high-performance vehicle than the average Joe.

This was an accident.  The blame game has no place here.

Presumably being the operative word. Sadly, it seems he wasn't.

While it's true that street racing is very dangerous, it's still a terrible tragedy that those two men lost their lives so horrifically. As I understand it, the driver's 8 year-old son witnessed the crash and tried to go and save his father from the fire. :(

Yes, it is tragic for this man's family. But it was pure recklessness that took these men's lives. They had no business driving the way they did on public streets. This nonsense puts lots of lives at risk.

Bill

Presumably being the operative word. Sadly, it seems he wasn't.

Right.  As could be the case with any of us, any time an accident happens.  It's an accident.  You don't expect something bad to happen, and then it does.  Whether it's this guy doing whatever speed he was doing, or someone else changing the radio station and losing sight of the road for a second, or not braking in time, or doing 75 in the 65.  

Yes, it is tragic for this man's family. But it was pure recklessness that took these men's lives. They had no business driving the way they did on public streets. This nonsense puts lots of lives at risk.

Bill

Sometimes I think you lack an empathy gene, Bill.  I do understand what you're saying, and it's not untrue, but it was still an accident.  Lots of things you or I have done in our lives could have been classified as not so smart, and we were just lucky.  Not this exactly, but something.

And, by the way, only one person was driving.  The passenger had no control over the speed of the driver.  

Right. As could be the case with any of us, any time an accident happens. It's an accident. You don't expect something bad to happen, and then it does. Whether it's this guy doing whatever speed he was doing, or someone else changing the radio station and losing sight of the road for a second, or not braking in time, or doing 75 in the 65.

Not an "accident." Accidents happen. This was reckless endangerment.

Pubic streets are not racetracks.

Bill

Even when people make poor choices it does not mean that family, friends and fans cannot be sad they have passed away.

He did a lot of humanitarian work.  I think that shows what kind of person he was vs someone who just wants to snark all over his death. 

Bill

It was still an accident.  There was no intent.  You're caught up in something that didn't even happen.  No one else was injured.  And again, only one person was driving, so at best you're holding a passenger accountable for something a driver did.  

Sometimes I think you lack an empathy gene, Bill. I do understand what you're saying, and it's not untrue, but it was still an accident. Lots of things you or I have done in our lives could have been classified as not so smart, and we were just lucky. Not this exactly, but something.

And, by the way, only one person was driving. The passenger had no control over the speed of the driver.

I don't lack an empathy gene. I empathize with innocent people who have to share the roads with people who think they are such gifted drivers that they think it is their god-given right to ignore traffic laws and put who put those innocents in danger. Enough is enough.

This was not an "accident."

Bill

Bill

Wow. Just wow. Regardless of how he died (with very few exceptions) this tragic death is still that.... tragic. I don't really care if he injected himself with drain cleaner before he died. 2 lives ended way too early. There's just nothing else that should be said at this time other than sympathy. Do I hope that others learn from the mistakes that were surely made? Yes, but that doesn't make their deaths any less tragic. Your comments honestly have me perplexed.

Even when people make poor choices it does not mean that family, friends and fans cannot be sad they have passed away.

He did a lot of humanitarian work. I think that shows what kind of person he was vs someone who just wants to snark all over his death.

Who said their families aren't sad? Of course they are sad. Everytime someone dies as a result of this sort of criminally excessive street racing it is a tragedy. That does not excuse the behavior that directly lead to their deaths.

Bill

I don't lack an empathy gene. I empathize with innocent people who have to share the roads with people who think they are such gifted drivers that they think it is their god-diven right to ignore traffic laws and put who put those innocents in danger. Enough is enough.

This was not an "accident."

Bill

Except you're just on a soapbox for something that didn't actually happen.  No one else was injured.  There is no evidence there were even any other cars present.  This was an industrial road, not a residential street.

You're right, the driver should not have been going that fast.  No one will argue that.  But for you to basically say well, too bad, he got what he deserved, is ridiculous.  Death is not an appropriate sentence for 45 seconds of poor judgement.   It also places the blame on the passenger, which you've chosen to ignore now for the three times I've pointed it out.  

He did a lot of humanitarian work.  I think that shows what kind of person he was vs someone who just wants to snark all over his death. 

Exactly. And even if he had been the driver...does one dumb choice negate all of the positive things that he has done in his life and somehow make his life unworthy of symapthy at his untimely death?

Wow. Just wow. Regardless of how he died (with very few exceptions) this tragic death is still that.... tragic. I don't really care if he injected himself with drain cleaner before he died. 2 lives ended way too early. There's just nothing else that should be said at this time other than sympathy. Do I hope that others learn from the mistakes that were surely made? Yes, but that doesn't make their deaths any less tragic. Your comments honestly have me perplexed.

Do you actually read the posts???

Of course it is tragic. That doesn't not make street racing OK.

This is EXACTY the time when people should say ENOUGH to this stuff.

Bill

Except you're just on a soapbox for something that didn't actually happen. No one else was injured. There is no evidence there were even any other cars present. This was an industrial road, not a residential street.

You're right, the driver should not have been going that fast. No one will argue that. But for you to basically say well, too bad, he got what he deserved, is ridiculous. Death is not an appropriate sentence for 45 seconds of poor judgement. It also places the blame on the passenger, which you've chosen to ignore now for the three times I've pointed it out.

Except I did not say "too bad," did I?

I said it is time to say ENOUGH to street racing. It takes too many lives.

Bill