Menu

Has anyone baked sweet potatoes like regular white potatoes prior...

Michelle My Bell

Has anyone baked sweet potatoes in the ovenlike regular white baked potatoes? I was thinking it would be easier to do this and then scrape them out of their skin for a sweet potato casserole. Would this work or would I loose a lot of the sweet potato? In the past I have boiled them but I would like to skip that if possible. 

Absolutely.  If you bake them long enough you should be able to get most of it out.  It always adheres to the skin more than boiling, but if you let them cool enough to really handle them you can scrape most of it out.  That is how I cook sweet potatoes when I just make sweet potatoes for eating.  I do prefer to boil them for casserole just because the veritably shoot out of their skins and I feel like it is less work.

This is the only way I like sweet potatoes. It was only served this way in the area I grew up in. Just put butter and brown sugar out so people could put those on if they wish. It's delicious!

I just realized you are making a casserole. When you bake it, it won't be as solid as if you boiled it. It will be mushy after you bake it like a white potato. 

I thought you were just going to serve the potatoes whole. Baked sweet potatoes as a side dish with brown sugar and butter is delicious.

That is how I do it for sweet potato casserole. I bake them an hour at 400 deg. then cool just a little (but still hot) and take them out of their skins straight to the mixing bowl with a stick of butter waiting.  Its much easier when they are hot. Skins easily peel away. Then the butter melts. I add everything else and whip it and put it in the casserole dish and to the frig. Then all I have to do is put the crumbly topping on to bake while turkey is resting.

Yes, I am baking mine today because I read a bunch of comments on Allrecipes that said they retain their flavor, nutrients, and sweetness better when baked intead of boiled. I have always boiled them in the past.

That's true of most boiled veggies but an easy remedy is to save the water you boiled them in and use it for stock or gravy.

Has anyone baked sweet potatoes in the ovenlike regular white baked potatoes? I was thinking it would be easier to do this and then scrape them out of their skin for a sweet potato casserole. Would this work or would I loose a lot of the sweet potato? In the past I have boiled them but I would like to skip that if possible. 

We had plain, baked sweet potatoes with our dinner -- they come right out of the skin if they are cooked properly.