1. 1. Potatoes: peel before boil or after

• Before
    • After
    • I only used instant boxed potatoes
    • I never make potatoes
    • It's a poll, YAY!
    • Leave skin on and mash like that
    • Other, because there is no way to think of everyone's options

Gagging at the thought of peels in mashed potatoes. I pray that I am never a guest at someone's table where I'd have to choke down a bite of mashed potatoes with peel.

The only time I eat potato peels are when they are fried and loaded with cheese, sour cream, bacon, etc.

Not even red potatoes?  They are so thin you hardly notice them.  They just add a bit of texture.

99% of the time I peel, then boil and mash.  I use russets, they need to be peeled.  Peeling after?  That's crazy talk!

I did also put in a vote for the other option - boil with peels on, then mash with peels on.  That's a completely valid option if you're using red potatoes or maybe Yukon gold and you like your mashed potatoes with some texture.

But never peel after.    :confused1:

I peel after. I used to peel before, but someone some years ago showed me peeling after was easier. Plus the potato soaks up less water so if you are mashing the potatoes can soak up more milk, cream or butter. 

I boil and drain. Then, I will pick a potato up with a fork (still hot) grab a little skin with a knife using the other hand and the skin just comes off. No working the peeler around dents, dimples of bad spots you cut out. I find it faster than peeling before. Then I either mash or use the ricer. 

I don't peel red skin potatoes. I should have thought about that when I made the poll.

If you peel after boiling you have to them reheat to serve. Seems a waste of time and energy. Why make life harder? If the skins are coming off, they come off first.

Mostly we are a skin on family though. My mashed potatoes get raves from all, even skin haters.

My favorite mash for a holiday meal though is russets (peeled), sunchokes and carrot with roasted garlic. These especially get high praise.

If you peel after boiling you have to them reheat to serve. Seems a waste of time and energy. Why make life harder? If the skins are coming off, they come off first.

I don't have to reheat. Read my post above. I hold the hot potato with a fork and the skin just pulls off. It really is faster and the potatoes are just as hot at serving. 

Mashed potatoes should have a smooth & creamy texture.

With enough skin in there for texture to remind everyone to chew!

I can't remember the last time I cooked for someone I'd peel potatoes for.

My ex used to puree potatoes in the food processor.  :crying: