Menu

lego people....question

ProudGrandma

My kids are really starting to like to play with legos and want people and wheels.  I am little nervous to buy those $2 packs at Walmart that have one lego person in it, but you don't know what it is. 

I went to ebay thinking I could buy a few used ones for less than $10 (including shipping) but most of the lots are not complete people (missing head gear or something), or include a bunch of figures that I know my kids won't like...and very expensive for what you get. 

Is there another place to buy the lego people without spending tons of money?  What about wheels?  thanks.

My kids are really starting to like to play with legos and want people and wheels. I am little nervous to buy those $2 packs at Walmart that have one lego person in it, but you don't know what it is. .

My son is quite skilled at feeling of the people through the package. He has very few duplicates.

My boys *love* the mystery packs; we get 15 for the 3 of them each Christmas as stocking stuffers, and they open & split them out. Yes, they get some repeats, but they are fine with that. They split them up after they open them. 

If you have a Lego store near you, they have a "build your own mini-figure" station, where your child can build 3 mini-figures for $10 -- complete person, with 1 hat or hair + 1 accessory each. That's a fun way to do it. They also have "pick a brick" walls where you fill a small cup for I think $7 or a large cup for $15. There are usually some odd pieces in the pick-from buckets, though it's random and changes often. You can use the link someone posted to pick-a-brick on their website to buy individual pieces, and they do have on-line a wheels & such set as well, I think. 

One other way to get mini-figures, if they like specific kinds, is to look for the "battle packs" and things which are usually inexpensive sets with a high mini-figure to brick ratio, or some of the little City themed sets, etc. 

My son is quite skilled at feeling of the people through the package. He has very few duplicates.

We too have been able to collect many of those figures without duplicating them by feeling through the packages for the more unusual pieces - accessories, hats, hair, etc.

Dh has also found some groups of more specialized, loose Lego pieces on eBay (piles of technic pieces, etc), and you might find someone selling wheels there. Lego education does have a wheels set that looks good (286 pieces - not all wheels - for @ $42).

Why are you hesitant to buy the minifig series?  Are some of them inappropriate to you?  If the kid is disappointed, it's just $2 and you can cannibalize the minifig for parts.

If you go to a good toy store or a Lego store, they usually have someone who's good at "reading" the package.  We call it "Lego Braille."  They can figure out with astounding accuracy who's in the bag.

Why are you hesitant to buy the minifig series? Are some of them inappropriate to you? If the kid is disappointed, it's just $2 and you can cannibalize the minifig for parts.

If you go to a good toy store or a Lego store, they usually have someone who's good at "reading" the package. We call it "Lego Braille." They can figure out with astounding accuracy who's in the bag.

HA, yes my son does this.

There is a set that has wheels and the parts needed to make them work, like this http://shop.lego.com/en-US/LEGO-Wheels-6118

We have people bought from individual sellers on Amazon, people bought at Legoland/Lego store make your own minifigures, and people that come with sets. On the Lego website there are minifigure accessory sets that come with 4 people.

There are also quite a few blogs that will tell you what to look for if you want a certain one. Not only can you feel the package looking for certain pieces, but there is also a bump code on the package. 

Super  cool info.  I want the elf and gingerbread man from the new set for stockings.  My kids love any lego minifig, so if I guess wrong it will be okay.

My favorite minifig set, bar none, is the fantasy and historical figures set in the lego education line. It's an expensive set, but it gives a wide range of minifig characters that fit well into lots of play, and has many girl minis.

The other big suggestion I have is to check the impulse packs for each holiday/season. These aren't blind packs, and often are available on sale the day after the holiday passes, either locally or on Lego's website.

Why are you hesitant to buy the minifig series? Are some of them inappropriate to you? If the kid is disappointed, it's just $2 and you can cannibalize the minifig for parts.

If you go to a good toy store or a Lego store, they usually have someone who's good at "reading" the package. We call it "Lego Braille." They can figure out with astounding accuracy who's in the bag.

I was thinking she might just be worried about getting duplicates, or maybe all female figures and her ds only wants males or something like that.

My ds can always seem to tell which figures are which in the little bags, too, but I really like your idea of asking at the Lego store. Some of their employees are true Lego fanatics and seem almost psychic about those mystery packages.

I like "Lego Braille!" :D

Hi!

You can go to Bricklink.com and buy any legos piecemeal that you should want.  Mini-figures run around $1.50 - $3.00 for any possible mini-figure you might want.  I think they have every single mini-figure made on Bricklink.  So, if you want specific ones, you can pick and choose.  Or, I believe that you can buy a set of figures together for cheaper.

Same thing goes for wheels, pick and choose whatever you want.

Basically, it's a little like ebay, as you will be buying directly from the seller through Paypal (or similar option).

I have bought loads of used Legos on Bricklink.  They always have arrived looked pristine and like new.

Okra

I recently bought on bricklink for the first time and it was fantastic! Got a used, no longer made set for a great price. If you want wheels check bricklink or if live near a lego store, try the pick a brick wall. It's cheaper than buying individual pieces on the lego website. There are blogs and website dedicated to fitting as many pieces as possible into the pick-a-brick cups. So search google for those for tips.

we have never bought the little mystery pack for the mini figures....can they be ANY figure that lego makes...or are they more generic?  I mean, can they be star wars, or lego city, or some other specialty pack type lego? 

It will be one of a series, like now I think they are series 11. So it will be one of those 12. You can google it or the blog linked above showed the ones in them now. I don't think you will ever get ones from a popular series, like Star wars or the marvels or harry potter or the like.

It will be one of a series, like now I think they are series 11. So it will be one of those 12. You can google it or the blog linked above showed the ones in them now. I don't think you will ever get ones from a popular series, like Star wars or the marvels or harry potter or the like.

this, except there are 16 in each series, and they change about once/quarter it seems. 

The lego website shows what the 16 characters are in the current series; it's fun generic stuff. Recent series had a female scientist, a paint ball player, a baseball player....rock singers, guys in costumes....I think there was a Christmas elf recently.....all sorts of fun stuff. My boys love them. 

this, except there are 16 in each series, and they change about once/quarter it seems. 

The lego website shows what the 16 characters are in the current series; it's fun generic stuff. Recent series had a female scientist, a paint ball player, a baseball player....rock singers, guys in costumes....I think there was a Christmas elf recently.....all sorts of fun stuff. My boys love them. 

LOL I must have miscounted on the blog...

You can also check them out in the lego magazine if you guys get it.

My kids are really starting to like to play with legos and want people and wheels.  I am little nervous to buy those $2 packs at Walmart that have one lego person in it, but you don't know what it is. 

I went to ebay thinking I could buy a few used ones for less than $10 (including shipping) but most of the lots are not complete people (missing head gear or something), or include a bunch of figures that I know my kids won't like...and very expensive for what you get. 

Is there another place to buy the lego people without spending tons of money?  What about wheels?  thanks.

You can create your own Minifigures at the Lego store -- 3 for $9.99

Hi!

You can go to Bricklink.com and buy any legos piecemeal that you should want.  Mini-figures run around $1.50 - $3.00 for any possible mini-figure you might want.  I think they have every single mini-figure made on Bricklink.  So, if you want specific ones, you can pick and choose.  Or, I believe that you can buy a set of figures together for cheaper.

Same thing goes for wheels, pick and choose whatever you want.

Basically, it's a little like ebay, as you will be buying directly from the seller through Paypal (or similar option).

I have bought loads of used Legos on Bricklink.  They always have arrived looked pristine and like new.

Okra

Whether they have a specific figure on bricklink depends on if someone has put it up for sales.

I will say. We've still got the Lego I had as a child. EXCEPT -- I kept my minifigures elsewhere. (Played with them even outside of Legos. I can remember asking for Christmas for Lego minifigures -- back in the EARLY days of minifigures at all. So this is a common issue for parents!)  I didn't remember that until I opened the case of Legos up and there were NO people inside.

So I went on Bricklink and was able to find the minifigs from my Lego Kitchen and bathroom that I was missing. As well as from a early 80s (I think) Fire Station I had. And my space set. (Luckily I had the directions so was able to look up exactly which minifig belongs to which set).  Ordered from a few different sellers and was quite pleased to put my sets together again!

Just got back from a Target trip to feel up the mystery lego bags.   I had about 4 employees ask if I needed help.  I think I bought 2 gingerbread men, a yeti and maybe a welder.  I had my phone open to the blogs that give clues to feel for.  I really want some elves but nothing seemed right and I read that someone thinks that is the easiest one to feel for.

I tried to look at the bumps but the code numbers for distribution didn't match any of those shown online. 

My kids and I do this.  The store clerks used to give us funny looks but I guess enough people feel the Lego bags that the clerks are used to it now.

I want the gingerbread man but after feeling through two boxes of minifigs with no luck, decided to try again another day.  But I found the elf!  He's slightly creepy and sorta cute.

Perhaps check out game stores. 

The game store near me removes them from the package and have them in little clear plastic bags. 

Just got back from a Target trip to feel up the mystery lego bags.   I had about 4 employees ask if I needed help.  I think I bought 2 gingerbread men, a yeti and maybe a welder.  I had my phone open to the blogs that give clues to feel for.  I really want some elves but nothing seemed right and I read that someone thinks that is the easiest one to feel for.

I tried to look at the bumps but the code numbers for distribution didn't match any of those shown online. 

I have had zero luck with the bump codes.

The elf has:

shortie legs that don't bend

hat with ears attached

square 4x4 block (his "gift box") -- this is easy to feel

HTH!

Okay, here is the key to feeling the packs.

Find a picture online, like this one, that shows each minifig with all of its accessories.  Print it out and take it with you to the store. 

Each minifig will normally have at least one distinctive part that will distinguish it when you feel it.  Examples:

Elf's 4x4 "gift box" block

Yeti's pointy hair/beard piece

Gingerbread man's flat head

Sometimes you'll have to feel for a couple of pieces to make sure.

For example, the yeti's hair and the island warrior's hair might feel similar.  But the warrior has a spear, while the yeti has a... popsicle? 

It can take some patience, and maybe an hour or more because you might have to go through a LOT of bags before you find the minifigs you want, so depending on the ages of your kids you might want to make this a solo trip. 

I love the minifigs.  They are so cute and my kids have a lot of fun with them.  So to me, it's worth the hassle to get the ones I want.

And... if you really can't find the one specific one you're dying for, there's always ebay.

The BEST way we have bought legos second to our consignment sale has been craigslist. Do you live in a city large enough to have a good local craigslist? We created a search with an email alert for what we wanted. We waited to get a huge set from someone cheaply. We ended up finding someone in a nearby city selling $700 worth of legos for $90. No boxes. We had to ask a family member in that city to pick it up for us and it all worked out so smoothly. Ds was thrilled. Don't let the crazy sellers on there scare you off.

Our boys are expert package detectors as well. :)

I think these mini-fig bags make great birthday/Christmas gifts for nephews, etc.

And yes, our 11yo detected Mr. Gold thru the packaging two months ago.  This truly made our son's YEAR. :)

They also use Pick a Brick on the Lego Shop website:

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Pick-A-Brick-ByTheme/?CMP=KAC-SAHGOOGLEUS&HQS=pick+a+brick&OVMTC=Exact&site=&creative=25850128201&OVKEY=pick%20a%20brick&url_id=129434837&adpos=1t1&device=c&devicemodel=

post-690-0-05021500-1384533449_thumb.jpg

post-690-0-05021500-1384533449_thumb.jpg