Menu

My husband needs a good hand mixer

dancingmama

I need help.  My husband loves to cook, and he loves to bake.  He wants a good hand mixer for this.  I, otoh, burn water.  Anyone have a good recommendation for a good hand mixer that I can gift him for Christmas?  He usually goes through one a year but we don't have any counter space for those fancy counter ones.  And when I say no counter space, I mean that my counter fits the microwave, a toaster and a coffeemaker and that's it.  I can balance a plate in front of the toaster or microwave but there's no room to actually put it down without fear of it tipping over.  

Good hand mixer anyone?

That's what I want if mine ever dies. I think I have a Cuisinart that Costco carried several years ago around the holidays. I haven't noticed if they have something this year.

I need help.  My husband loves to cook, and he loves to bake.  He wants a good hand mixer for this.  I, otoh, burn water.  Anyone have a good recommendation for a good hand mixer that I can gift him for Christmas?  He usually goes through one a year but we don't have any counter space for those fancy counter ones.  And when I say no counter space, I mean that my counter fits the microwave, a toaster and a coffeemaker and that's it.  I can balance a plate in front of the toaster or microwave but there's no room to actually put it down without fear of it tipping over.  

Good hand mixer anyone?

Your kitchen sounds like mine -- boat-like.  I still use a KA stand mixer, though.  Lock the top down, and it's not bad to carry and move as needed (like to the one end of my dining room table that isn't smothered in HS stuff).  The bowl will hold a whisk, paddle, and dough hook so it's all in one comparatively compact package.  Except for height, I bet the footprint is the same or smaller than a had mixer with its cord.  Rolling cart an option?  Or a flip-up counter extension?   How about a two sawhorses and a board?

I would not completely discount a robust stand mixer that you'll only have to buy once.  Now of course, once DH starts to accumulate attachments, that's another story.  I'm still pining for the pasta roller.

Looks wonderful!  . . . although would someone tell me why any kind of a mixer really needs nine different speeds?

I like my kitchen aid 9sp hand mixer (and even with a big one, sometimes you need a small one.)  there are other attachments you can buy to use with it - I also have a whish attachment and dough "s".  I whip (small amounts of) cream with it, and can make cookie dough (and- my fruit cake which is heavy and chunky.)

whatever you end up buying, look for what attachments it has, how low "low" really is (sometimes you need very low, and many hand mixers aren't that low), and what the wattage is (which is the strength of your motor.   I had one previous hand mixer that had a "folding-in" attachment that I really liked, but it just didn't go very low. (and it died.)

eta: there is also a kitchen aid 5-speed.  it just didn't go low enough for me.  the one attachment I wish kitchen aid would make is that folding in attachment.    I've had mine for five or six years.  

After a series of POS but not cheap hand mixers which all died (KA, Cuisinart, something else), I found an ancient all metal Hamilton Beach one at Goodwill for $3. Yup, that thing goes and goes. I will cry if if dies.

What does he want a mixer for? There are some things that need a stand mixer so if that is what he is looking for, a hand mixer is not a substitute.

You could get lucky with any brand but any brand could also die. They are really underengineered these days.

After a series of POS but not cheap hand mixers which all died (KA, Cuisinart, something else), I found an ancient all metal Hamilton Beach one at Goodwill for $3. Yup, that thing goes and goes. I will cry if if dies.

What does he want a mixer for? There are some things that need a stand mixer so if that is what he is looking for, a hand mixer is not a substitute.

You could get lucky with any brand but any brand could also die. They are really underengineered these days.

I'm like that with waffle irons.  the ones made in the last 30 years are all awful.  I prefer the 1950's (or 60's) models.  they last, and make the best waffles. 

He uses his mixer for mixing dough and whipped cream mainly.

Our goodwills around here aren't good for anything.  I miss the ones where I used to live.  So many awesome finds.  Here I have found one thing worth buying in 5 months.  *sigh*

I don't know what settings he would need for those.  Any advice truly and greatly appreciated!  :D

What kind of dough? Cookies (like for the creaming the butter and sugar part?). Or bread? No hand mixer can handle yeasted bread doughs. And they can't really handle cookie dough once you add the flour/dry ingredients. Use the hand mixer to cream the butter and sugar and then manually combine the creamed mixture with with dry ingredients. I use a hand mixer for frosting and whipped cream when I don't want to bother with the stand mixer. Or a muffin/cake/quickbreads batter. Also for mashed potatoes (sometimes, mostly I use a regular masher and do it by hand). For heavier doughs, a stand mixer is the way to go.

I've gone through 2 Kitchenaid hand mixers (5 speed) in 30 years, but they are absolutely the best choice for hand mixers.

Walmart had them on sale recently for about $35, but I can't find it on their website.

I bought the dough hooks separately, and wish I had bought them 30 years ago!

I had no trouble with quad batches of cookies or 2-loaf bread dough recipe.

(I prefer the feel of a hand mixer, and the ease of putting it away!)

My dh has been reluctant to buy another KA handmixer, but with all your praise, I think he'll be convinced!  :)

Actually, ONE of the beater sockets in my 2nd KA broke.  I've been able to muddle through with just the single beater--that's how hearty they are!