Menu

Does anybody else notice this - buy and selling curriculum

I am wondering if there are any others out there that are bugged by this. I have been selling (and buying) but mostly selling my used curriculum for many years. I only have two children, so my curriculum is usually in very good condition.

I have been searching for a few used books since I only have one left homeschooling. I notice that there are a lot of people that advertise their curriculum at prices that aren't discounted very much from the original!

Am I the only one that is bugged by this?

It just seems to me that as a community of homeschoolers that we should do a little better for each other. It is really not much benefit if someone is selling a $100 retail price curriculum for $85. We take a chance with the mail, etc., too.

I always tried to discount my books as close to 50% or more. Some of my curriculum was over $400 new and I was just wanting to get at least 50% out of it to spend on the next year's books.

I'm not targeting the WTM boards because I use others, also. But to try and use a $100 curriculum and only net pay $15 seems wrong to me. We all want to save money, but I'd like to see it benefit homeschool families on both the buying and selling end fairly.

Not passing judgement, just trying to make a constructive suggestion.

~Robin in Alabama

I think that even homeschoolers selling used books should abide by the guidelines of the Independent Online Booksellers Association. http://www.ioba.org/desc.html If what they are selling is brand new it should get full price. If a book is "near fine" it should bring in more than an "ex-library" book.

Advertising and selling an ex-library book at near full price is something I think should be avoided. It doesn't seem ethical to me. g

Just because we are homeschoolers doesn't mean that we should take a price cut for other homeschoolers. Homeschoolers, just like any other used bookseller, should price their used curriculum at what it is worth.

And as always caveat emptor. Which is why I very rarely buy used curriculum.

Yeah, when I see something like TT math, which costs $185 new, with free shipping, being sold for $160 FIRM used PLUS shipping, I don't think that's right! I pass right by those---I'd rather pay the little tiny bit extra and get it brand new!

I LOVE Amazon! Though when books go for 1 cent plus the $3.99 shipping, it's hard to beat that price to resell, especially if I didn't see that price and I bought it for more! :) I tend to just share or give them away at that point.

I think that the homeschool used book market should follow the rest of the market - whatever the market will bear. I do think some folks have their stuff way overpriced, but I also see those same books getting bumped and bumped again. No one is buying at those prices. When the price drops enough, the books get sold.

If a used library book is out of print and is in high demand, the seller can charge whatever the market will bear. It really doesn't have anything to do with whether or not it is a used book or library discard or whatever. The issue is supply and demand. I found a first edition of Anne of Green Gables being kicked around on the floor at a library book sale. I bought it for $1 and sold it to a rare book dealer for $1000. I actually didn't realize it was worth that when I bought it - I just liked the cover:).

Well, to me any discount is better than no discount at all. And, if you use your same logic about "looking out for each other" this would mean that we would also want to help each other out by buying their goods without expecting a huge discount. Big discounts are not a right, and you are not obligated to buy from anyone. I see this complaint a lot. If I don't like someone's price, I move on. I figure it's normal to try to sell something for the most the market will allow. People do it with everything else including houses. I don't see any difference with used homeschooling books.

I don't discount mine that much, but if they don't sell, I'll drop my prices.

I think that the homeschool used book market should follow the rest of the market - whatever the market will bear. I do think some folks have their stuff way overpriced, but I also see those same books getting bumped and bumped again. No one is buying at those prices. When the price drops enough, the books get sold.

If a used library book is out of print and is in high demand, the seller can charge whatever the market will bear. It really doesn't have anything to do with whether or not it is a used book or library discard or whatever. The issue is supply and demand. I found a first edition of Anne of Green Gables being kicked around on the floor at a library book sale. I bought it for $1 and sold it to a rare book dealer for $1000. I actually didn't realize it was worth that when I bought it - I just liked the cover:).

As usual, ITA with Kathleen.

And...OMGosh!!!!! What a story!

I've seen this, but it isn't a problem for me. People can charge whatever they want - it doesn't mean I have to buy it!

Honestly, it bothers me more when I offer to sell my excellent condition items at less than half price and include shipping costs, and then someone tells me my price is way too high and offers 1/10 of the new price. If I wanted virtually nothing for it, I'd price it that way and I'd sell it at the local curriculum sale so I didn't have to mess around with shipping it.

I was told when I first started selling that reducing the price by 40% of new price, unless of course if it is very well used. This is normally what I do and I don't charge extra for postage. If I see something that I don't think is reasonable, I either make an offer or don't even attempt to buy it.

It's really a matter of choice for the buyer.

It doesn't bother me when people price high, but I won't buy from them. I don't see it as a moral issue at all. If they can get their price, more power to them. I've considered selling curriculum myself, but it seems like too much trouble for the pittance that people (myself included) are willing to pay for used stuff. By the time you figure in postage, how much does anyone really make?

This is one of those things that can go both ways. Just because it's used doesn't automatically make it worth 50% of what I paid for it. I take excellent care of my things and most wouldn't be able to tell the difference between mine and a new one except that mine isn't always shrink wrapped.

I price for what I think is a fair discount for the condition of the book. Many also don't take into account that the seller is trying to make money to buy other things they may need. If I'm always selling at less than 50% of retail I'll never make enough to buy what I need for the next year.

What really gets me is when I price something say that was a $100 item for $70 with shipping costs included and say it was something I bought, looked at and decided not to use, they want to know if I'll take $30 for it. Um, NO I WON'T . If I clearly stated it was only looked through and wasn't actually used to teach my kids I'm not selling it for 70% off. I do sell things like this at times because I may not be sure about a curriculum and need to see it in hand, then it's actually cheaper for me to sell and pay the postage to someone else than to pay postage and a restocking fee to return it to the company. Some think that just because we're "all in this boat together" that we should give deals, well if we're "All in this boat together" how about being reasonable about giving the seller a fair price. Just because we're all homeschoolers doesn't mean we're all entitled to like new used items for pennies on the dollar.

Ok I'll get off my soapbox now.:rant:

Here I sit having not sold any of my curriculum. I should start selling more of it than giving it away.

This was partly my husband's decision. We ran into a situation where we knew a family wanted to homeschool.

They couldn't afford the curriculum. We offered them the boys earlier set of curriculum. we just gave it to them. Mind you it was like new because I didn't use the workbooks.

This was not a cheap set. I ordered the entire curriculum plus the teacher's books and it ran about $450. per boy.

He wanted to help someone....I don't have any problem with that. That is why I am sitting here with curriculum form 2nd grade on up.

Maybe he will let me sell some of it........

If I see a price that is not discounted to what I feel is appropriate, I just pass it buy. I am also not in the market to gip someone either.

There is a difference between wanting to save money and get a good deal and trying to screw someone over.

I have not noticed that here.....The Ladies here have been very reasonable IMHO and gracious in working with some one who doesn't have paypal...

I sold my used curriculum over the years and my take on it was this.

My job as keeper of the home is to use our household money wisely. That goes for grocery shopping, wardrobes, and school books.

My family takes extremely good care of their books, and I would sell it at 50 to 80% of the what I paid new, and I included shipping and handling fees in that. I rarely had a complaint. I always felt free to say no if someone wanted it cheaper and if it didn't sell, I had to lower my price. For some folks it is just a way of life to never pay what the selling price is, and for me, I charged what the current market was going for. I needed the money to buy the next years curriculum.

I notice that there are a lot of people that advertise their curriculum at prices that aren't discounted very much from the original!

It just seems to me that as a community of homeschoolers that we should do a little better for each other. It is really not much benefit if someone is selling a $100 retail price curriculum for $85. We take a chance with the mail, etc., too.

~Robin in Alabama

I don't think anyone owes me anything as a fellow homeschooler. But for a small discount, I won't take the chance of being scammed. I'll pay a little more to buy from a reputable source; to buy from an internet board, I need a significant discount. Also, I've learned to check prices before I commit to buy something. I can sometimes get (new) items cheaper on Amazon or from other sources than internet boards.

I think the pricing goes in waves, too. A few years ago, there was a discussion on the old WTM boards about how to price items on the sale and swap boards. The consensus was that if an item was popular and in good condition, the seller should expect at least 75% of retail. Then awhile later, there was another discussion where people said they don't buy from the boards any more because most people overprice their used curriculum.

I've started taking most of my used curriculum to the local homeschool store to sell on consignment. It's so much easier to just box it up and drop it off. However, I have purchased lots of curriculum from the WTM swap boards, I've gotten lots of great deals, and I've never been scammed.

it seems like too much trouble for the pittance that people (myself included) are willing to pay for used stuff. By the time you figure in postage, how much does anyone really make?

:iagree: Plus, to get me out of my house and to the post office is a MONUMENTAL achievement. I would much rather give the materials to someone who would appreciate them IRL than to take what never seems like enough money to get me out of the house. :D

I am wondering if there are any others out there that are bugged by this. I have been selling (and buying) but mostly selling my used curriculum for many years. I only have two children, so my curriculum is usually in very good condition.

I have been searching for a few used books since I only have one left homeschooling. I notice that there are a lot of people that advertise their curriculum at prices that aren't discounted very much from the original!

I always tried to discount my books as close to 50% or more. Some of my curriculum was over $400 new and I was just wanting to get at least 50% out of it to spend on the next year's books.

I'm not targeting the WTM boards because I use others, also. But to try and use a $100 curriculum and only net pay $15 seems wrong to me. We all want to save money, but I'd like to see it benefit homeschool families on both the buying and selling end fairly.

Not passing judgement, just trying to make a constructive suggestion.

~Robin in Alabama

My rule of thumb for material that is a complete set (workbooks not written in, teachers guide, etc) and in good shape is that I ask for 75% of the price new, including shipping.

Honestly, I can't imagine being bothered by how much someone asks. As far as I'm concerned they are willing to ask full price if they want. I'm certainly not obligated to pay for it. The law of supply and demand sort of come into play. If an item is in high demand people are happy to pay 75% rather than 100% + shipping. If it is not in high demand, then I will have to lower my price if I want to sell it.

You say it isn't fair to net pay only $15 for something, but why would it be fair for me to pay full price and you to only pay half price? Theoretically, if you are buying used, you can turn around and sell it for about the same price you purchased it for (if it is still in good condition) and not pay anything for the curriculum.

I think people have the right to ask whatever they want for their materials that they purchased.

I buy a lot of used curricula. Half of it I am just curious about and want to look at and then pass on, half of it I actually use in whole or in part.

I pay what I am willing to spend on it. In the past, I have had no qualms about offering what it is worth _to me_. Comments like some in this thread make me hesitant about making an offer..... "How could anyone offer me less when my (used) books are as good as new?" and "I _have_ to sell at a certain price to be able to buy next year's materials."

It is not the _buyer's_ job to anticipate how much a seller "needs" to sell her/his books at to buy her/his next year's curriculum, or food, or whatever. It is not the _seller's_ job to sell for pennies on the dollar so that the buyer can buy the curriculum they need for the year, food, etc. Advertise for what you want to sell at; buyers will offer what they are willing to buy at. If you do not want to sell at the lower price, don't. If the buyer doesn't want to buy at the higher price, s/he won't.

If you do _not_ want to entertain lower offers, please, all you need to do is give your asking price and state, "FIRM"!! People would not bother you with lower offers. Your blood pressure wouldn't go up and they would not waste their time.

This has come up before, but I notice on the S&S board, people who are really bothered by counter-offers STILL do not state in their posts that their prices are firm/non-negotiable. If you are clear in your expectations, people will generally be happy to oblige!

yvonne

What really gets me is when I price something say that was a $100 item for $70 with shipping costs included and say it was something I bought, looked at and decided not to use, they want to know if I'll take $30 for it. Um, NO I WON'T . If I clearly stated it was only looked through and wasn't actually used to teach my kids I'm not selling it for 70% off.

I buy a lot of used curricula. Half of it I am just curious about and want to look at and then pass on, half of it I actually use in whole or in part.

I pay what I am willing to spend on it. In the past, I have had no qualms about offering what it is worth _to me_. Comments like some in this thread make me hesitant about making an offer..... "How could anyone offer me less when my (used) books are as good as new?" and "I _have_ to sell at a certain price to be able to buy next year's materials."

It is not the _buyer's_ job to anticipate how much a seller "needs" to sell her/his books at to buy her/his next year's curriculum, or food, or whatever. It is not the _seller's_ job to sell for pennies on the dollar so that the buyer can buy the curriculum they need for the year, food, etc. Advertise for what you want to sell at; buyers will offer what they are willing to buy at. If you do not want to sell at the lower price, don't. If the buyer doesn't want to buy at the higher price, s/he won't.

If you do _not_ want to entertain lower offers, please, all you need to do is give your asking price and state, "FIRM"!! People would not bother you with lower offers. Your blood pressure wouldn't go up and they would not waste their time.

This has come up before, but I notice on the S&S board, people who are really bothered by counter-offers STILL do not state in their posts that their prices are firm/non-negotiable. If you are clear in your expectations, people will generally be happy to oblige!

yvonne

I never said I wasn't willing to entertain offers, I was simply saying that I'm willing to entertain REASONABLE Offers. I have and will continue I'm sure to accept reasonable offers, my problem is with those that want to get something ludicrously cheap just because I paid to have it sent to my house for my perusal first thus making it "used". If I'm Firm on a price I'll state that, but like I said in my original post. To make an offer of 30% retail on something that wasn't used, but would cost more for me to send back than it would to just sell it to another that may like it, is not a reasonable offer.

Honestly, I can't imagine being bothered by how much someone asks. As far as I'm concerned they are willing to ask full price if they want. I'm certainly not obligated to pay for it.

:iagree: I keep seeing this sense of entitlement across a lot of boards I visit where there's buying/selling - like we're all members of a club that should cut its members a deal. The boards aren't Ebay, but it's not freecycle either.

[quote

Oh rare or out of print books are a different matter, and I don't have a problem with prices on these. It's the curriculum that is available still new that I'm referring to.

~Robin in Alabama

This is one of those things that can go both ways. J

What really gets me is when I price something say that was a $100 item for $70 with shipping costs included and say it was something I bought, looked at and decided not to use, they want to know if I'll take $30 for it. Um, NO I WON'T . Just because we're all homeschoolers doesn't mean we're all entitled to like new used items for pennies on the dollar.

That is absolutely true, also. My original post wasn't intended to say that the buyers should offer insulting offers to the sellers. I was mainly wondering why someone would think you use a book for a year or more and only take a 10-15% amount off to resell. We are consuming them in some way if we use it. In the case you are referring to, just looking through it and not using it, it's a bit different, of course.

~Robin in Alabama

No, I don't view this as a moral "community" kind of issue. I give my close friends great deals or give them the item for free, but if I sell it on a board I will sell it as a reasonable price. I never ask new prices and am frequently surprised by what people think they will get for their stuff, but I figure after lowering their items multiple times they will figure out that people are not going to pay that much for used curriculum. :tongue_smilie: Hey - I am not above reducing an item to sell if I have priced to too high. Whatever the market will bear is what someone posted already - that is exactly my thinking too.

Parrothead posted something I wanted to address:

I think that even homeschoolers selling used books should abide by the guidelines of the Independent Online Booksellers Association. http://www.ioba.org/desc.html If what they are selling is brand new it should get full price. If a book is "near fine" it should bring in more than an "ex-library" book.

I disagree with this completely. The buyer is taking a risk buying from an unknown source. I have almost no recourse if the book arrives in less than new condition from a private seller. How do I know they are telling the truth if I don't know them from this board?

If we are buying second hand - regardless of condition - it is still a risk. It is a risk for me to sell used to someone too - that is why I wrap really well! :) There is no way I would sell anything from my house and expect to receive new prices or pay new prices for something used. I cannot even get new prices for something brand new I sold on eBay - I certainly wouldn't expect it here! LOL :tongue_smilie:

I agree completely with the OP if it is in fact "used". But, for me....I tend to buy things but then I end up not using them. So, if it is "like new" then I set the price at about 20% off the retail price of the "discounted sites" ppd (generally). So, the buyer makes out because they get a "like new" item at a great price with free shipping!

I agree completely with the OP if it is in fact "used". But, for me....I tend to buy things but then I end up not using them. So, if it is "like new" then I set the price at about 20% off the retail price of the "discounted sites" ppd (generally). So, the buyer makes out because they get a "like new" item at a great price with free shipping!

That sounds very reasonable to me. :001_smile: I would buy from you! :tongue_smilie:

I agree, some people really seem to think too highly of their used books. My first purchase here was a used book, which I really wanted--I put that I WTB, and the first person who responded was a bit lower than new, and I hadn't seen it up for sale, and didn't know how often things came up for sale. So I bought it, and then started seeing it for half price--I realized I'd paid too much, and it wasn't in great shape, but that was my lesson, and I had to learn it.

Now I do watch carefully, and I agree with previous poster, if it is high, I just watch it get bumped again and again. & I do see people who list their used items higher than amazon new! It really surprises me!

I've seen this, but it isn't a problem for me. People can charge whatever they want - it doesn't mean I have to buy it!

Honestly, it bothers me more when I offer to sell my excellent condition items at less than half price and include shipping costs, and then someone tells me my price is way too high and offers 1/10 of the new price. If I wanted virtually nothing for it, I'd price it that way and I'd sell it at the local curriculum sale so I didn't have to mess around with shipping it.

Agree with this. In fact I've not sold anything with our current move for this reason. So many WTB ads request excellent condition for "reasonable" (code for cheap, wink) prices. I've enjoyed giving things to friends who can come by and get them from my house, thus no hassle with the post office for me :)

I don't see that any homeschooler has a moral obligation to another when selling other than to be honest about the condition of the materials. I don't think there is a moral obligation as to price. I think the free market is a good mechanism for finding a fair price. I write this as someone who usually gives away curricula when I'm done, or sells it at fairly cheap prices. I price cheaply because I want to get rid of it, not out of a moral obligation.

Just a note about WTB ads. I usually post the approximate cost of what I am willing to pay. My last wtb asked for the book for "about half the price of new or less." This, to me, is much more helpful than saying "at a reasonable price." If the seller doesn't want to let their goods go for that price they don't have to waste their time replying and can get on with posting on the for sale board.

Reasonable is a very subjective term and, I agree with readwithem, it is usually just a code word for cheap. Folks complain that no one checks the wtb board before posting on the for sale board. I know one reason is because when items are offered to wtb'ers they are often refused due to price considerations and then the seller has wasted time trying to get the item sold. If wtb'ers would post the rough price they are willing to pay, sellers could decide then if they want to bother offering their items to them or not.

Just sayin'.:)

What a totally cool story!! I love that kind of thing. :001_smile: I agree with what you wrote 100%.

Something that hasn't been brought up is how to reduce the risk of buying used. When I'm buying something used from Amazon, many dealers come up and I buy from the ones that have the highest rep. It is harder on a board like this because there is no buyer/seller rep., at least that I know of. I sold some curriculum and really don't even know if the people who received it were pleased with it. I sure hope they were but how is anyone else to know that a person has had a good experience with a seller. Maybe a buyer should post to the for sale ad after receiving the curriculum and the proof would be there. They used to do this on homeschool board I won't name and boy I always checked that before buying from people. I buy most of my things new but have only had one disappointing book (a little paperback that looked like it had seen its better days) sent to me that was completely misrepresented. I think asking questions from a seller and getting as many details as possible before buying. Paypal has made things easier and has saved our family from getting ripped off. Another risk reducer for me has been to purchase insurance on items over $30. I figure that if someone was displeased with something or it was damaged, I would refund their money rather than have my rep. ruined.

Now I do watch carefully, and I agree with previous poster, if it is high, I just watch it get bumped again and again. & I do see people who list their used items higher than amazon new! It really surprises me!

I am also in the camp that I won't buy used unless it is 50% off. I would prefer to buy new than take the chance.

I did break my rule once and responded to one post here about a WTM book set for sale. I emailed the seller that I can order the set from Amazon ~$20 less than what she was asking and asked her if she could beat the amazon price. She flatly refused saying she needed to get full price for it. After several bumps and weeks, she did sell, I assumed she got her asking price from a buyer who did not research the price first. I could not help but think why would someone pay more than what they could from Amazon (and have brand-new books too instead of used). :confused: